‘X-Men: DOFP’ director Bryan Singer fans the flames of Marvel Vs Fox battle

DA_Champion

Avenger
Reaction score
I found this article while looking for other information.
http://www.hypable.com/2014/05/21/x-men-days-of-future-past-director-bryan-singer-marvel-fox/

-Men: Days of Future Past director Bryan Singer has revealed that he thinks The Avengers’success is only due to Iron Man and that the battle between Marvel and Fox is “unhealthy.” ...

Singer argues that Robert Downey Jr and Iron Man is the reason that Avengers grossed more than Days of Future Past, and he points out that more people have heard of Captain America than have heard of Deadpool.

Personally, I don't agree, I think that Marvel has had a better strategy. They didn't build the Avengers off Iron Man the way that Fox built the X-Men off Wolverine. The parallel universe where Anna Paquin's Rogue is as awesome as Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow is simply very distant from this universe, I mean let's be honest, Rogue has had less to do in the X-Men movies than Maria Hill in the MCU movies, and so on for several other character comparisons you can make.

Captain America vs Deadpool is a phoney analogy, I'm not sure if Singer is deluded or intellectually dishonest. Captain America is the most famous of the Avengers or at least was until 2008, and Deadpool is not a top-5 most famous X-Men. Is he even top-15? I don't know. The proper comparison would arguably be Cyclops. Cyclops could have been cool but instead they deliberately designed him as a loser foil to Wolverine's awesomeness. In the second X-Men movie they actually show the audience that Cyclops listens to The Backstreet Boys, in order to make him come off as big a loser as possible.

What it comes down to is that overall Disney Marvel has delivered a better product than Fox Marvel, and it didn't need to be this way. X-Men the Last Stand grossed 234 million domestic (more than DoFP) without 3D, if that movie and Wolverine Origins had been good, and if it hadn't been Wolverine and his sidekicks,thhe X-Men franchise would be in better place.

Finally, Days of Future Past had a 64% second weekend drop and a 53% third weekend drop, whereas for Avengers the numbers were 50% and 46%. Avengers had better legs, not sure if that's because of Iron Man being a great cultural edifice.

I think it's funny that he says the competition is "unhealthy" while essentially dissing Marvel in the same breath.

The MCU wouldn't have been successful if IM hadn't been, that's probably true. They banked the launch of their studio on that movie and won. But what's also true is that other non-IM characters have proven perfectly capable of carrying their own movies to great success, so IM is not the only key ingredient the Avengers' success anymore. And I don't see any of the other X-Men carrying solo movies besides Wolverine, either.

Last edited:
Hmmm let's seen another X-Men character besides Wolverine carry their own movie (and most of the team movies), then Singer has a leg to stand on.

Iron Man is definitely the most popular Marvel character, movie wise. But Cap 2 and to a lesser extent Thor 2 just proved that their solo films can be financially successful and popular with audiences.

As for Captain America vs Deadpool? What has that got to do with anything? Captain America has been around for over 50 years and is a founding Avenger who has been involved with the third biggest movie of all time. Deadpool has been around 20 years and is always going to be a more niche attraction due to the very nature of the character. A fairer comparison would be Wolverine and Cap.

Last edited:
I found this article while looking for other information.
http://www.hypable.com/2014/05/21/x-men-days-of-future-past-director-bryan-singer-marvel-fox/

Singer argues that Robert Downey Jr and Iron Man is the reason that Avengers grossed more than Days of Future Past, and he points out that more people have heard of Captain America than have heard of Deadpool.

I don't think this guy will ever get it when it comes to the popularity of these characters. He continues to call the X-Men comics the bastards of the marvel universe popularity wise.

The only reason he is mentioning Deadpool is because of his insane popularity status nowadays. If this was 2000 Singer himself wouldn't even be aware of the name. He's reaching with this comparison in general. You want more people to know about Deadpool? Then make sure Fox makes that movie or you put him in good roles. Cause he is at a peak otherwise, with only a film missing to boost his status. Deadpool actually sells more then Cap in comics, but comparing him to Caps movie popularity is completley pointless.

Iron Man never came close to the popularity X-Men had in the 90s. X-Men had the highest selling comics and mass marketing appeal with toys and the animated series. No one in the mainstream knew who Iron Man was, and RDJ wasn't making box office gold. Marvel took a risk on all there characters that a majority of people looked at as B listers and now they are doing it with their D (GOTG). Who now sell as much comics as X-Men and Avengers.

This guy is just hugely downplaying the success of the X comics/characters to try and make his own films box office look better. Which he shouldnt have to do post DOFP. Fox has a gold mine of chracters that people are just waiting to see/used to their potential. With what they did to Emma Frost in DOFP I'm still assuming they have no problem just wasting A listers. They really need to start making use of some of these characters beyond getting one line.

Last edited:
How about he focuses on his work and stops talking trash about another film franchise?

Man stuff like this pisses me off.

And the only reason the X-Men film franchise exists is because of Wolverine, so what's his point?

I definitely read your post but this was discussed a few months ago. I just find it strange that you made a thread for it when its old news. Also creating a thread like this would just lead to people choosing sides.

Oh thank you, choosing a side between this Marvel vs Fox battle is the last thing we need.

As a fan of both X-Men and the MCU, I can say with certainty that was a very *****ey statement on Brian Singer's part that just reeks of jealousy. I just don't understand why he's so jealous since his X-Men films have always been of high quality and he has hit a new level of success with them this year.

Criticizing Singer for being *****ey does not mean you're choosing sides: it just means you're against someone from either Fox or Marvel embarrassing themselves and saying, "Can't we all just get along" while simultaneously flipping the bird to both Marvel and its fans.

To Brian Singer I have this to say: Please don't be like Wally Phister. Be able to recognize when your competition releases a great product rather than trying to downplay their success: after all, a healthy competition is mutually beneficial to both studios.

Last edited:
I like both but I just find the Marvel Studios movies more fun to watch than the X-Men films. DOFP was a great movie but I doubt I'll buy it on Blu-Ray or revisit it any time soon. But most of the Marvel films I could watch over and over. They're just more fun, I guess. The X-Men movies, overall, just seem to downplay the superhero aspect so much that it makes them a less enjoyable experience to me. They're still mostly good movies though.

I personally like both X-Men and MCU but as many have said already, the MCU movies are more entertaining. Yeah, in the beginning of MCU it was about Iron Man, but then built off of that, with an idea of the Avengers movie coming together really early on. X-Men on the other hand has turned Cyclops into a joke (not even a joke, they flat out treat Cyclops' character horribly, making him nothing but jealous of Wolverine and neglect the fact that he's a leader), and they made Wolverine the center of everything. Now I like Wolverine, and have for a long time, but you can only go so far in a franchise by making one person the center.
And Bryan Singer's comments were really unnecessary.

Mr. Wolverine has no right complaining about this

Singer is an idiot and has proven time and time again that HE DOES NOT GET THESE CHARACTERS PERIOD!!!!!! The Xmen has done well because they were the most popular comic books and they had the successful cartoons and that drove people to see the movie desipte the jupiter size incosistencies in the movies. All these films has been Wolverine and the Xmen. The characters were just props. Singer proved he don't understand the comicverse, especially with how he handled Superman. He snatches out Kitty and revolves the story around Wolverine with DOFP??

Emma Frost: He kills off Emma Frost? Are you freaking kidding me? One of the most popular female characters in comic history and I'm not talking about just Marvel. Frost is one of the top 10. She has such a rich and complicated history and people like her but yet POOF, she's now dead. I said it before, Fox seems to just throw these characters in the movie with little to no importance but just to flash some power.

Singer's thinking is asinine. Their is not one Xmen that you could do a spin off film do to handling of them in the movieverse. No one knows or cares about them. Stark/IM was the center of his own movies and not the center in the Avengers unlike Wolverine who just seemed to rule the Xmen. Clearly Singer didn't see the Avengers to claim that Stark/RDJ is the reason for the Avengers success. AT NOT ONE TIME(Singer are you reading this)DID YOU NOT FEAL THAT CAPTAIN AMERICA WASN'T THE LEADER OF THE AVENGERS UNLIKE CYCLOPS WHO WAS JUST NOTHING AND DISPLAYED NO LEADERSHIP QUALITIES WHAT SO EVER AND CAME ACROSS AS WHINEY. I wouldn't call him an expert on anything regarding these comic films. The more this man opens his mouth the more it shows he doesn't know anything. Singer needs to go back to indie flicks and stay there.

Last edited:
Doesn't Singer have a trial or something he should be focussing on?

I like both. Marvel did a great job building up everything. FOX's problem was Wolverine, everything was focused on Wolverine and the other characters were just there. Worst thing was Cyclops. I hate what they've done with his character.

1 certain good thing for me that Bryan Singer did about x-men is not giving too much screen time for Halle Berry as Storm. She's atrocious.

1 certain good thing for me that Bryan Singer did about x-men is not giving too much screen time for Halle Berry as Storm. She's atrocious.

Close....but the best thing was watching her get stabbed by the sentinel. It made me :woot::woot:

@eplo High Five :applaud

I just wish that she wouldn't come back alive.

<shrug> I liked Storm.
In the comic she was spiked too, but in a slightly different way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"