‘X-Men: DOFP’ director Bryan Singer fans the flames of Marvel Vs Fox battle

He is now. When Singer first got hold of X-Men things were different. But after Singer tearing Cyclops down and Marvel building Thor up it's no contest. Looking at their box office totals I would say that Thor, Cap and IM are all more popular than Wolverine much less any other X-Man now.

Yeah, just compare the box office performance of Wolverine vs IM3, TDW, and TWS. I think it's obvious that these three Avengers have gotten much more popular than this Canadian mutant.

He is now. When Singer first got hold of X-Men things were different. But after Singer tearing Cyclops down and Marvel building Thor up it's no contest. Looking at their box office totals I would say that Thor, Cap and IM are all more popular than Wolverine much less any other X-Man now.

I agree. Before Thor, and Cap came out in their own movies I'd say Cyclops hands down was the most known because the Xmen were just way more popular and also their was the cartoon from the 90's. Cyclops hands down is the mutant version of Captain America. Noble but can be dirty when needed, smart, a great leader. After Fox and Singer got the Xmen they destroyed everything that the comic had spent decades doing. Even Storm was done this way. She is such a great female character and 2nd in command, but like Cyclops she was butchered by Singer and Fox. They understood her even less then Cyclops. I picked up on that when Halle Berry was cast. I love Halle and she is a good actress but she is not Storm period. It's all moot now, AFTER 14 YEARS OF THESE MOVIES FOX still don't get it and Singer too.

These people at FOX have such a rich and diverse band of characters in the Xmen but as someone mentioned they made all the characters back drops and centered all the movies save for First Class around Wolverine. Now I'd be fair and say Xavier is the only one to get good treatment. Magneto to a certain extant. He gotten better with Fassbender in the role. Mystique is a good character and because of Lawrence's popularity they stepped things up with her but she's not a character no matter what try would make for a good movie. I like Lawrence and Mystique but not enough is their for a solo movie. Not saying it can't be done but it would take someone really talented to pull it off and FOX and Singer are incapable of such a feat.

Last edited:
Well even if Singer is charged and sent to prison, highly unlikely but FOX will still have the Xmen and just bring someone else on board.

I was obviously comparing the hype of Avengers to that of X-Men when the first two films came out...and that was a time when they were covering every magazine and many taglines noted how "hot" the cast was. It is only fair to compare it to when the franchise/main cast was younger.

your argument would have made more sense if you compared the "hotness" of the cast of X-men First Class then the original cause women love Jennifer Lawrence, Fassbender & Nicholas Hault , nobody knew who Ashmore & Paquain was enough to care about them being hot or not Jackman wasnt a sex symbol back then so all they really had was Halle. RDJ, Scar Jo, & Chris Evans were already established actors so ppl were familiar with them thats why I say that.

You sure sound like the resident expert on what girls want and whom they throw their panties at...

Please let's not delve into who is less of a sperglord between the two of us and who is more akin to a modern day casanova because it is quite easy to pretend to be a ladies man and much more difficult to prove.

Just observing the manner in which you speak of women and your assumptions based on your tumblr stalking makes me cringe. I mean who even says things like 'girls are practically throwing their panties at the screen' to make an argument about one studios success?

The fact is that there are attractive people in both set of movies, just one gives women more to be attracted to, not only by showcasing the physicality of their characters but by actually giving the characters character.

LOL @ tumblr stalking, its called actually having friends of the opposite sex. Delve? Sperglord? LMAO yeah you definitely wouldn't know anything about women. I obviously struck a nerve. Who said anything about being a casanova I simply said you would know if you knew any which obviously you dont thats why you got so upset at my statement, btw it wouldn't be difficult at all for me to prove anything. Its obvious you're a Marvel fanboy GR0OT judging by your name and avatar no need to get upset about anything I wasnt bashing Marvel I just said why I think they're more successful, but if you wanna call me a tumblr stalker to heal your little ego about not being a "casanova" yourself then more power to you

Last edited:
your argument would have made more sense if you compared the "hotness" of the cast of X-men First Class then the original cause women love Jennifer Lawrence, Fassbender & Nicholas Hault , nobody knew who Ashmore & Paquain was enough to care about them being hot or not Jackman wasnt a sex symbol back then so all they really had was Halle. RDJ, Scar Jo, & Chris Evans were already established actors so ppl were familiar with them thats why I say that.

Wait a sec, Hoult has a huge fan following of women?????? Fassbender and Lawrence aren't big box office draws. Yes they are talented actors and Lawrence has the Hunger Games, which is more do to the book then her and Fassbender is a good actor but he's no box office draw. I'm not trying to be negative but people give actors more credit then they deserve for a films success. Yes their are some actors who can plant asses n seats but Xmen drew people based on the concept and known characters. First class was also the lowest performing of the Xmen films even though I liked it the best.

Avengers is more do to marvel's planning. Yes RDJ is talented and he's a favorite and I'm sure he can draw a good enough sized audience but Evans and Scar Jo? Avengers did not become he 3rd highest grossing movie because of evans and Scar Jo. Yes they are known actors but I can't think of any movies that they headlined and it was a huge success because of their name.

Wait a sec, Hoult has a huge fan following of women?????? Fassbender and Lawrence aren't big box office draws. Yes they are talented actors and Lawrence has the Hunger Games, which is more do to the book then her and Fassbender is a good actor but he's no box office draw. I'm not trying to be negative but people give actors more credit then they deserve for a films success. Yes their are some actors who can plant asses n seats but Xmen drew people based on the concept and known characters. First class was also the lowest performing of the Xmen films even though I liked it the best.

Avengers is more do to marvel's planning. Yes RDJ is talented and he's a favorite and I'm sure he can draw a good enough sized audience but Evans and Scar Jo? Avengers did not become he 3rd highest grossing movie because of evans and Scar Jo. Yes they are known actors but I can't think of any movies that they headlined and it was a huge success because of their name.

Im not trying to be negative either, I think you got what im saying misconstrued you're looking at things from an entertainment business aspect im looking at things from my friends and what they tell me they like about the Avengers movie. Im not talking about box office draws Im talking about relevancy at the time Evans and Scar Jo were more relevant than Anna and Ashmore when the first X-Men film you were talking about came out, so more people knew them, and all the females I know were attracted to them even Scar Jo lol.

What have I said girls like? Hot actors? So you don't like hot actors? Find that hard to believe.

females love Avengers they practically throw their panties at Chris Evans, RDJ & Chris Hemsworth

Most certainly doesn't work for me. I think The Avengers is horrible, and the latter part definitely doesn't work as I'm not interested in guys. So no, I'm not interested in hot actors. Actresses, yes. And when it comes to that, I also prefer the X-Men series.

Most certainly doesn't work for me. I think The Avengers is horrible, and the latter part definitely doesn't work as I'm not interested in guys. So no, I'm not interested in hot actors. Actresses, yes. And when it comes to that, I also prefer the X-Men series.

WOW. Now why would that quote would apply to you if you aren't even attracted to men lmfao? You just wanted to say something huh? Even still I said they like Scar Jo as well. But I prefer the X-Men series too, alot of Fox bashing going on here anybody doesn't agree with your opinion they try to turn it into a Fox vs Marvel war when I said nothing bad about either films in fact I even complimented Marvel on having less continuity issues than X-Men

WOW. Now why would that quote would apply to you if you aren't even attracted to men lmfao? You just wanted to say something huh? Even still I said they like Scar Jo as well. But I prefer the X-Men series too, alot of Fox bashing going on here anybody doesn't agree with your opinion they try to turn it into a Fox vs Marvel war when I said nothing bad about either films in fact I even complimented Marvel on having less continuity issues than X-Men

No, you just generalized it as "females". I'm female, it doesn't apply to me, that's all my point is.

Yeah, Marvel does a way better job at that. Though X-Men is just a little less messy when you ignore Origins and pretend it never happened. A little bit. Though it's just best in general to pretend Origins never happened. :oldrazz:

Congratulations on having the courage to voice a rare opinion on this site that goes against the predominant grain.

LOL @ tumblr stalking, its called actually having friends of the opposite sex. Delve? Sperglord? LMAO yeah you definitely wouldn't know anything about women. I obviously struck a nerve. Who said anything about being a casanova I simply said you would know if you knew any which obviously you dont thats why you got so upset at my statement, btw it wouldn't be difficult at all for me to prove anything. Its obvious you're a Marvel fanboy GR0OT judging by your name and avatar no need to get upset about anything I wasnt bashing Marvel I just said why I think they're more successful, but if you wanna call me a tumblr stalker to heal your little ego about not being a "casanova" yourself then more power to you

Delve is a word in the English language and I can't understand why you'd put it along sperglord to make your point.
I find that people that find success with the sex of their choosing usually don't need to brag on the internet and attempt to belittle others based on conjecture.

I'm not at all upset despite you being an obnoxiously abrasive person.
Although there can be a richness in internet friendships you aren't making a good argument for your dept of character and I really doubt that your internet girls are true substitutes for having friends of the opposite sex in any real way.

Continue prattling on, you're making a fine account of yourself.

Nobody is going crazy over any actors/actresses in the X-Men films, females love Avengers they practically throw their panties at Chris Evans, RDJ & Chris Hemsworth. Nobody's taking their panties off for Shawn Ashmore and James Marsden despite how good you think they look lmfao. Not to mention they make Black Widow a badass so now even more females are drawn to it cause they love that type of stuff. Just look on tumblr I follow a lot of chicks on there and they reblog Avengers (mostly Loki & Cap America) posts daily but never anything about X-Men

Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office_zps1b515fc2.gif

Has no one called this out yet?

I mean, I guess since I'm a feminist I should take issue with this whole idea that the MCU movies are more "teen/female friendly" (are you really grouping adult women with kids? Really?) because apparently we only watch movies for the guys who were in People Magazine but honestly as far as "vaguely insulting assertions" go there's nothing new there. Heard it before. Suppose I could waste time copy-pasting the typical response and counting it as my daily contribution in the campaign against minor acts of every day sexism. I think I might just lose my membership card, though, because I am way more distracted by this whole idea that Hugh Jackman wasn't considered a sex symbol.

Like, I was still a pretty young teenager back then and even I remember getting in on the joke that Jackman was basically the housewives and suburban mom's version of a playboy. Or was that whole thing strangely isolated to where I lived? Am I just making up people thinking he was sexy? Because that seems like a really weird thing for me to make believe.

Singer is an idiot and has proven time and time again that HE DOES NOT GET THESE CHARACTERS PERIOD!!!!!! The Xmen has done well because they were the most popular comic books and they had the successful cartoons and that drove people to see the movie desipte the jupiter size incosistencies in the movies. All these films has been Wolverine and the Xmen. The characters were just props. Singer proved he don't understand the comicverse, especially with how he handled Superman. He snatches out Kitty and revolves the story around Wolverine with DOFP??

Emma Frost: He kills off Emma Frost? Are you freaking kidding me? One of the most popular female characters in comic history and I'm not talking about just Marvel. Frost is one of the top 10. She has such a rich and complicated history and people like her but yet POOF, she's now dead. I said it before, Fox seems to just throw these characters in the movie with little to no importance but just to flash some power.

Singer's thinking is asinine. Their is not one Xmen that you could do a spin off film do to handling of them in the movieverse. No one knows or cares about them. Stark/IM was the center of his own movies and not the center in the Avengers unlike Wolverine who just seemed to rule the Xmen. Clearly Singer didn't see the Avengers to claim that Stark/RDJ is the reason for the Avengers success. AT NOT ONE TIME(Singer are you reading this)DID YOU NOT FEAL THAT CAPTAIN AMERICA WASN'T THE LEADER OF THE AVENGERS UNLIKE CYCLOPS WHO WAS JUST NOTHING AND DISPLAYED NO LEADERSHIP QUALITIES WHAT SO EVER AND CAME ACROSS AS WHINEY. I wouldn't call him an expert on anything regarding these comic films. The more this man opens his mouth the more it shows he doesn't know anything. Singer needs to go back to indie flicks and stay there.

Who exactly is Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm again???????? They get no more screen time then Blink.

How the heck do you know it was Singer's idea to use QS???? Singer doesn't even know the darn characters enough to get them right. Not once do you know that Cyclops is supposed to be the leader of the XMEN. How hard is that. He was portrayed as Whiny and Jealous of Wolverine. Now in Avengers and even though IM/Downy is clearly the most popular it's well established that Captain freaking America is the leader of the Avengers and not Stark. Cyclops was completely knocked out of X3 and wasn't much done in X1 and 2 and I swear I saw Wolverine giving orders and was set up to be leader of he Xmen at the end on the movie. Give me a break.

There's only one way to fix the X-Men problem.:o

1290250nomoremutantscqtq.jpg

Seriously though, if look at the X-Men films as just superhero films, they're really great, especially X-2, FC and DOFP. However, when you look at them as 'X-Men' films, you'll lose it. I said it in my DOFP review, what really bothers me Bryan Singer's seemingly boundless ability to misinterpret the true spirit of the X-Men comics. He still misunderstands some of these characters. But unlike other directors from the past who have butchered comic book adaptations, Singer's interpretation of the characters makes you question the changes that were made especially if you're a hardcore X-Men fan. Because to me, at times it felt that Singer was trying to hard too appease the fanboys and detractors who have not been pleased with how he has handled the X-Men franchise and completely missing the point of what truly makes the X-Men who they are.

I think a lot of people don't understand why some people are very critical of the X-Men films from a fan's pesperctive. If you go read Uncanny X-Men, Ashtonishing X-Men etc and come back and watch the films, you'd want Singer fired and never want him to touch any other CBM ever. That being said, when it comes to story telling, he's great and that;'s what so frustrating about it. maybe if he actually paid a lot more attention to the source material, he wouldn't be saying statements like these. I basically let go, after 14 years of complaining and with little to know change, I just accepted the way these films are. If I want my X-Men, I still have my comic books. I'm excited for Apocalypse though.:oldrazz:

There's only one way to fix the X-Men problem.:o

1290250nomoremutantscqtq.jpg

Seriously though, if look at the X-Men films as just superhero films, they're really great, especially X-2, FC and DOFP. However, when you look at them as 'X-Men' films, you'll lose it. I said it in my DOFP review, what really bothers me Bryan Singer's seemingly boundless ability to misinterpret the true spirit of the X-Men comics. He still misunderstands some of these characters. But unlike other directors from the past who have butchered comic book adaptations, Singer's interpretation of the characters makes you question the changes that were made especially if you're a hardcore X-Men fan. Because to me, at times it felt that Singer was trying to hard too appease the fanboys and detractors who have not been pleased with how he has handled the X-Men franchise and completely missing the point of what truly makes the X-Men who they are.

I think a lot of people don't understand why some people are very critical of the X-Men films from a fan's pesperctive. If you go read Uncanny X-Men, Ashtonishing X-Men etc and come back and watch the films, you'd want Singer fired and never want him to touch any other CBM ever. That being said, when it comes to story telling, he's great and that;'s what so frustrating about it. maybe if he actually paid a lot more attention to the source material, he wouldn't be saying statements like these. I basically let go, after 14 years of complaining and with little to know change, I just accepted the way these films are. If I want my X-Men, I still have my comic books. I'm excited for Apocalypse though.:oldrazz:

Very valid points. I should be where you're at now and just give up. It's been 14 years and we aren't going to get the characters handled properly ever as long as FOX has the rites. It's just makes my blood boil when alterations are made to the characters for no logical reason what so ever then for them to put their own spin on the XMen. Bishop was so gutted and just misused. His powers work exactly like Shaw's in FC, while Shaw just gets stronger in the comics. I assume they felt he would be to close to Shaw so they altered him to some stereotypical black guy toting a gun that has to get power from Sunspot to fire it, WTF?? I do not like SINGER period. He is poison to the Xmen and unfortunately he's not going anywhere cause he's had success that sadly came from the general audience.

X1 and 2 were decent enough. X3 was mediocre and I'm not convinced at all that Singer would have done anything differently cause the script and outline was already established when Ratner came out board. People blamed him for the awfulness but I never did. He may have made some alterations but he was brought in to shoot the movie. The way Phoenix was handled just screamed Fox and Singer. FC and DOFP were good films but again not good xmen films. I'll credit their decentness to Vaughan as in he had a hand in the scripts for both films. Kinberg is garbage too.

Let me stop ranting and get back to your post. I agree with you 100 percent.
Oh I'm not so sure about Apocalypse. Him building the Pyramids was a bit much. I've never know him in he comics to display TK powers but his abilities is supposed to be whatever power he wants, I've just never seen him do much but grow in size and shape change and fire energy blasts in the comics. I'm sure in the end Wolverine will be the one to take him down. Still believe he's just being used because FOX wanted a really big bad after Thanos was introduced in Avengers. If he wasn't I doubt Singer and FOX would used him, we'll still have Magneto as the villian no doubt.

TeeKay you nailed it, though I don't think Singer has gone out of his way to please the fans.

Nokio, X3s treatment was created/drafted by Matthew Vaughn actually, not Singer.

TeeKay you nailed it, though I don't think Singer has gone out of his way to please the fans.

Nokio, X3s treatment was created/drafted by Matthew Vaughn actually, not Singer.

You do realize I mentioned that. If fact I mentioned both First Class and DOFP had Vaughn's involvement, which is why those are the two best Xfilms. Despite that being said Singer and Fox's hands were all over this project. Yes Vaughn contributed to the writing duties but he wasn't the only one. The continuity problems, the time displaced mutants, the unexplainable altering of some characters for no reason is still very much present from the 1st movie, so I know Singer has his hands in the pot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"