• Rings of Power

Fantasy TV is now The Lord of the Rings!

• We're moving

Heroes are moving to the Movies sections!

‘A Christmas Carol’ | Steven Knight & Tom Hardy

James.B

In search of the absurd
Reaction score
FX has boarded the BBC’s adaptation of Charles Dickens’ classic A Christmas Carol. The three-part series is produced by Ridley Scott’s Scott Free, Tom Hardy’s Hardy Son & Baker and FX Productions.

The U.S. cable network will air in December and is the latest collaboration between the two broadcasters following Taboo. The project was first announced by the BBC in November 2017.

The remake stars Guy Pearce as Ebenezer Scrooge, Andy Serkis as Ghost of Christmas Past, Stephen Graham as Jacob Marley, Charlotte Riley as Lottie, Joe Alwyn as Bob Cratchit, Vinette Robinson as Mary Cratchit, Rutger Hauer as the Ghost of Christmas Future, Kayvan Novak as Ali Baba and Lenny Rush as Tim Cratchit.

The new take on the story is written by Peaky Blinderscreator Steven Knight and is directed by Nick Murphy (The Awakening). It is exec produced by Knight, Tom Hardy, Ridley Scott, Dean Baker, David W. Zucker, Kate Crowe and Mona Qureshi and produced by Julian Stevens.

Knight said, “This production of A Christmas Carol will respectfully present what we believe to be a timely interpretation of a timeless story.”

The announcement was made by Eric Schrier and Nick Grad, Presidents of Original Programming, FX Networks.

“We are incredibly proud to join the BBC in this latest creative venture, which builds on our expansive programming partnership to bring the best in television to audiences in the U.S. and U.K.,” said Schrier. “Charles Dickens’ classics, including A Christmas Carol,are timeless tales that have been reimagined generation after generation. We couldn’t imagine a better team to undertake this enormous task than Steven Knight, Tom Hardy, Ridley Scott, and their formidable production companies.”

Last edited:
Hardy+Knight+Dickens...

giphy.gif

Looks like they're going heavy with the horror.

I always urge people to read the book if they haven't. It's not long and there's stuff in there that never makes it into the adaptations.

Was Hardy in the trailer? Who is he playing?

Man and here I thought Hardy had some kind of starring role in this. Maybe it's because I still need my Taboo fix, but this does look promising and I really like the talent involved. A super dark and horror inspired take on this story should be interesting to see at least.

Intense.

I like more backstory for Marley. Don’t know how I feel about Scrooge sexually assaulting women.

Well, it's sure not looking much like the story Dickens wrote. Is Andy Serkis the only ghost in this version? And is Mrs. Cratchit saying the f-word at the end?

And yeah, if they have Scrooge assaulting Mrs. Cratchit, that's going to pretty much kill any audience sympathy for him. I know they think they need to be dark and edgy but there's no reason to go in that direction.

Last edited:
Well if that doesn’t put you in the holiday spirit!

It looks creepy and edgy but yeah... if Scrooge is a sexual predator then I’d rather not see him redeemed and just let the Ghost of Christmas Future drag him into a grave.

Considering Scrooge's greed and personality and the time period it's not really a stretch that he would also have little respect for women's rights.

It’s not that it’s not believable, it’s that we won’t feel that instant forgiveness we do like in previous versions. His “redemption” at the end will be interesting how they tackle.

Scrooge doesn't care about ANYbody's rights. He thinks all of humanity stinks.

That doesn't mean they have to show him assaulting Mrs. Cratchit, if that's what happens. The audience should already know he's got issues by that point.

That might not be what's happening there, though. Maybe she's offering herself to him in the hopes of getting money to help Tiny Tim.

I am half way through Peaky Blinders and between that and Steven Knights work on Taboo and See I honestly don't think I could be anymore excited for this now.

So this seemed to come and go. I know reviews weren’t great, but is it worth seeking out for next Christmas?

So this seemed to come and go. I know reviews weren’t great, but is it worth seeking out for next Christmas?

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't as good as I was expecting it to be. Solid performances all around though and the cinematography is gorgeous, but I really think this needed to be an actual 8 to 10 episode series that could have really fleshed out and developed the characters.

It was good. Definitely darker, and it was good to see that he didn't actually assault Mrs. Cratchit - at least not physically. It was a total mind-f**k though. The ending was more 'real' though in that it wasn't a real happily ever after.
That being said, I'll stick with Stewart's Christmas Carol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cap2024
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"