‘Alan Wake’ Series being developed For Television

Kaleb

2010 & 2018 SHHFFL Champion
Reaction score

An “Alan Wake” live-action television series is in development with Peter Calloway (“Cloak and Dagger,” “Legion”) signed on as showrunner and writer, and game creator Sam Lake as executive producer, Contradiction Films and Remedy Entertainment told Variety.

Contradiction partner Tomas Harlan said the plan is to start shopping the show around in October with Calloway’s full pitch and that he’s already seen initial interest from a number of studios.

“‘Alan Wake’ was basically a TV series that was put into a game,” Harlan told Variety. “That was Sam’s vision. It was influenced by ‘The Twilight Zone,’ ‘Secret Window,’ Hitchcock, ‘Northern Exposure,’ a lot of U.S. television.

“We plan to work closely with Sam on our this show. Sam is a huge part of this. This is his baby.”

Oh, man I can't wait! I love the game and really was an early sign for prestige television before I started watching it. In a video game no less. I hope they can continue the story given how it's open ended.

Should be interesting to see.

Haven't played it, but it's an interesting enough idea for a show, and I like to see games being adapted and hope this'll lead to more.

Great news. They better include the Anderson Brothers.

Loved the game so hoping for the best.

Haven’t played the game in years, but the story fits in AMC’s wheelhouse. I’d love if they got Richard Price since his work on The Outsider and The Night Of seems like a fitting match for the world of Alan Wake. Alternatively, I’d love Mike Flanagan but I think Netflix wants to keep him close.

It could work if they embrace the weirdness and abstract narrative style of the games. The games were very story and narrative-driven. Sort of like playing a Twin Peaks game.

But as I've said before, a big part of why games engage people is not just the immersion but giving players narrative agency in the story that movies and TV shows can't duplicate.

Case in point, the Halo TV series.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"