Animation “My Adventures with Superman” in the works at Max

How many classic cartoons would the "serious bizness" cartoon enthusiasts ignore if they came out now?

v7bcgwoxg4071.png

Art wise, it looks like Totally Spies to me. This 2000s hybrid style created to compete with manga.
I personally don't really like it but it seems pretty well suited to the target audience.
I’m unsure about how this show will end up, but I actually don’t mind these character designs. It would do Superman wonders if they had a solid animated and live action series going at the same time. Here’s hoping they can make it work.

Somebody told me the writers of that She-Ra cartoon is behind this? If the designs was strike One , then this is strike 2 and 3. Thanks but no thanks.

Somebody told me the writers of that She-Ra cartoon is behind this? If the designs was strike One , then this is strike 2 and 3. Thanks but no thanks.

One of the producers was a writer on She-ra, yes. I guess I can see if you hate well written cartoons with a wide age appeal, I can maybe see how this is a negative.

Idk how to feel about this yet. Superman has always been one of my all time, if not favorite comic book character over the years. I hope it turns out well. I will give it a fair chance, but not impressed with the first image and who is involved. We will see though.

Some more info about this series:

My Adventures With Superman: WarnerMedia Exec Teases New Animated Series

Just like I said before this is Lois & Clark in animated form and you know what if that's the case then it might just be the kind of fluffy / romantic fun that marries well with Superman and can be somewhat of a sharp contrast to the (apparently) more grounded Superman and Lois.

And yet even more info about this series:

“My Adventures With Superman” Inspired by Christopher Reeve Movies – Superman Homepage

Honestly for me I always wanted Greg Weisman and his team to do a Superman series set in the young justice universe (or 10 years before the first episode of YJ where Superman debuts) but the idea that this show is going to be a cross between Superman the movie and Lois & Clark kinda excites me.

I don't know if any of you have watched this Spidy series (Spidy is one of my favorites) in 2017:

images

The tone of show was lighthearted yet at the same time the stories were taken seriously, so if that's what they're going for with Supes then I'm in.

So, going through She-Ra again, and I see Josie Campbells name popping up as story editor. So, good thing. I then get to one of the best episodes of the series, "Hero" of season 4, and I see she co-wrote it. Any one objecting to her role in this series is an idiot. She is a very good talent to have.

Jack Quaid should’ve been The Flash and his dad should’ve been Hal Jordan 30 years ago

So, going through She-Ra again, and I see Josie Campbells name popping up as story editor. So, good thing. I then get to one of the best episodes of the series, "Hero" of season 4, and I see she co-wrote it. Any one objecting to her role in this series is an idiot. She is a very good talent to have.

Not sure that working on She-Ra is a good thing because I keep hearing how horrible and "woke" that series is, maybe I should go and check out an episode and see for my self.
On the other hand some of the people who worked on netflix's Voltron are working on this show and that to me is a good thing.

Obviously, I am a bit of a fan. I don't fully know how to answer a general "woke" criticism. Yes, it is inclusive, between body shapes and race, even with a non binary and a trans character. And so very, very gay. Which god forbid a MOTU show is gay. I would not necessarily call it "woke", just because the villains are not exactly a stand in for what would be considered the traditional "woke" targets. For the most part, it is just your standard evil empire stuff.

And while it doesn't really match animation wise, in terms of story and characters Avatar is really the best comparison. It gets serious, sometimes very serious, but the show never loses its sense of fun. Which is my biggest hope for this show. The animation style and that one image really gives me hope for that. Which is also why I am also much more excited for this show than I am for "Batman, Darkness".

I would say that experience with Voltron isn't necessarily a bad thing. Artists can learn and improve. And I don't hate Voltron like a lot of others, but they really did drop the ball with the ending. I think She-Ra having less episodes was a benefit, in the end, as the show has a good pace, and doesn't really lose the end in sight. I'm not too worried about that issue with this show, as superhero stories work just fine going from one big bad to the next. Having a big bad evil empire to fight sort of makes a "what next" kind of tough.

And one last word on promoting She-Ra. Catra is probably one of my favorite characters in animation. I guess the best way to explain it is to take Azula, and then you give her the time and make her as important as Zuko, and you kind of get the idea of Catra's general story.

And again, Josie Campbell, who is an executive producer on this show, co wrote probably my favorite episode of She-Ra. A big lore episode that change a lot of what we knew about the lore, told in a fun new way, all the while adding a tragic element to a fairly humorous side character.

Obviously, I am a bit of a fan. I don't fully know how to answer a general "woke" criticism. Yes, it is inclusive, between body shapes and race, even with a non binary and a trans character. And so very, very gay. Which god forbid a MOTU show is gay. I would not necessarily call it "woke", just because the villains are not exactly a stand in for what would be considered the traditional "woke" targets. For the most part, it is just your standard evil empire stuff.

And while it doesn't really match animation wise, in terms of story and characters Avatar is really the best comparison. It gets serious, sometimes very serious, but the show never loses its sense of fun. Which is my biggest hope for this show. The animation style and that one image really gives me hope for that. Which is also why I am also much more excited for this show than I am for "Batman, Darkness".

I would say that experience with Voltron isn't necessarily a bad thing. Artists can learn and improve. And I don't hate Voltron like a lot of others, but they really did drop the ball with the ending. I think She-Ra having less episodes was a benefit, in the end, as the show has a good pace, and doesn't really lose the end in sight. I'm not too worried about that issue with this show, as superhero stories work just fine going from one big bad to the next. Having a big bad evil empire to fight sort of makes a "what next" kind of tough.

And one last word on promoting She-Ra. Catra is probably one of my favorite characters in animation. I guess the best way to explain it is to take Azula, and then you give her the time and make her as important as Zuko, and you kind of get the idea of Catra's general story.

And again, Josie Campbell, who is an executive producer on this show, co wrote probably my favorite episode of She-Ra. A big lore episode that change a lot of what we knew about the lore, told in a fun new way, all the while adding a tragic element to a fairly humorous side character.

To be honest I'm a grown a** man who should be way too old for cartoons but over the years and after watching Gargoyles, the DCAU, Young Justice, Samurai Jack, Tron uprising and the recent netflix stuff like Castlvania, Dragon prince, Voltron etc....I developed a real appreciation for well told animation stories that is designed for kids but can appeal to adults, the sort of thing that Pixar excels at.
Regarding She-Ra I think it was the animation style that put me off alittle bit but to think that people start complaining about a show being "woke" because it has a gay character in it, in the 21st century no less, is quite alarming.
Young Justice and Voltron have gay characters in them and I haven't heard anyone complaining, why not She-Ra? Heck even Superman the animated series acknowledged (very subtly) that Maggie Sawyer was gay and I remember really appreciating that.
I said before that if this show does a Superman the movie / Lois & Clark in animation form then I'm all for it, Superman always benefited from a light hearted, romantic tone. Conversely the character can also cater to a more serious tone like Death of Superman and Superman vs the Elite and to some extent STAS, JL and Legion of Superheroes season 2, which is one of the many things that makes Superman such a rich character.

I can understand not being for the designs and animation. I have honestly grown to appreciated this style more than the super detailed "realistic" style many seem to be clamoring for. I like it when the animators can be allowed to get loose with the animation. It can be real fun. Its a reason why I love Studio Trigger.

I can understand not being for the designs and animation. I have honestly grown to appreciated this style more than the super detailed "realistic" style many seem to be clamoring for. I like it when the animators can be allowed to get loose with the animation. It can be real fun. Its a reason why I love Studio Trigger.

Oh there hasn't been a "realistic" style since the 80s cartoons, honestly ever since anime made it to the USA, the classic animation styles of the filmation studios went out the window sadly. I still remember glimpses of the original She-Ra and while they used lots of stock animation and cut all sorts of corners, the basic animation style was quite lovely, I'd like to see something like that with refined modern day animation techniques.

Oh there hasn't been a "realistic" style since the 80s cartoons, honestly ever since anime made it to the USA, the classic animation styles of the filmation studios went out the window sadly. I still remember glimpses of the original She-Ra and while they used lots of stock animation and cut all sorts of corners, the basic animation style was quite lovely, I'd like to see something like that with refined modern day animation techniques.

Maybe realistic was the wrong word. Super detailed is probably better. Designs and an animation style the does not allow you to go off model. I love the Thundercats reboot, but I find I am growing more and more interested in a different kind of animation. I think Voltron and its budget saving methods kind of broke me. And why I am very wary of shows that promote super detailed designs.

Thanks for listening to me about She-ra. I just finished a rewatch and it especially has been on my mind. It is a good show, and this cartoon would be smart to take as much as they can from She-ra as they can. A great adventure with fun characters, even if it is 1000% less gay.

Maybe realistic was the wrong word. Super detailed is probably better. Designs and an animation style the does not allow you to go off model. I love the Thundercats reboot, but I find I am growing more and more interested in a different kind of animation.

Super detailed or as I call it "angular" style where the characters' features are all...well...angular and serious, reflecting the tone of the show ala Young Justice.
Yeah I loved the T-cats remake also and was really sad when they abruptly canceled it with the Pumayra cliffhanger left lingering. The whole situation is made worse when you realize that the show was cancelled because the toys didn't sell, hence why I think the emergence of Netflix has been so important for animation in particular where one gets to see things like Voltron, Dragon Price, the recent (and underrated) DOTA, Pacific Rim and ofcourse Castlvania where the objective is to make the best series possible and not selling toys.

Thanks for listening to me about She-ra. I just finished a rewatch and it especially has been on my mind. It is a good show, and this cartoon would be smart to take as much as they can from She-ra as they can. A great adventure with fun characters, even if it is 1000% less gay.

No I should be thanking you, cos I am now going to check out She-Ra just because you really peaked my curiosity, not to mention that I am starting to wonder who is gay in that show, I'm betting it's Bo, because he gave off those vibes in the old filmation cartoons.
Well it sounds like the Superman show is going to focus on Lois and Clark's old age rivalry turned romance story that never gets tired IMO, so I don't think we'll have to worry about the show being gay but like I mentioned before Maggie Sawyer is a great character from the superman mythology who is gay and there was a whole subplot where Lex Luthor threatened her with that information inorder to have her (being the captain of the Metropolis equivalent of S.W.A.T) in his pocket and believe it or not this was all the way back in 1987 (Action comics #600), which just goes to show how progressive Superman and his comics can be. I wouldn't mind seeing something like this addressed on the show because sadly stuff like this still goes on in the 21st century,even in first world countries.

So is this going to Cartoon Network as well?

I like the designs as this has anime hybrid and I wanted to see Superman in anime form. Remember this is the first Superman animated series in 20 years since TAS. If it’s a cross between Superman and Lois & Clark I’m all for it.

I like the designs as this has anime hybrid and I wanted to see Superman in anime form. Remember this is the first Superman animated series in 20 years since TAS. If it’s a cross between Superman and Lois & Clark I’m all for it.

Actually that's a common misconception, STAS might've been the last solo Superman series but remember that 2006's Legion of Superheroes was a superman centered ensemble show and should be considered as such and the only reason why Superman or Superboy weren't in the title was because of the Siegels' copyrights battle with WB at the time. I actually think that show had a lot of (sadly unrealized) potential.

That show was indeed actually pretty good back then.

my-adventures-with-superman-new-images-cartoon-4.jpeg

Collider (https://collider.com/my-adventures-with-superman-images-character-designs/) posted a small article about this series with some character designs and I have to say this could end up being something memorable. The fact that HBO ordered 2 seasons before the first one is even finished bodes well for the show's chances, although I'm still iffy about the character designs.

Eh, its pretty standard with animation.

Yeah, that frame does show what I want from this series. Its going to be fun. With a good chance of some good serious bits as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"