10 Reasons Why You Should Eat Less Meat:

it's easier when your pants start feeling loose

Your telling this to one of the main posters in the fitness thread. But for some people a vegan diet works. Myself, meat is most of my diet. Mainly chicken and tuna. 200 plus grams of protein a day. :up:

I'll take that as a, "I have no clue."

Okay, thanks. Kind regards.

You should have taken that as a "The author wrote it that way so you'd have to ask him". Thanks for stopping by. :up:

jag

Your telling this to one of the main posters in the fitness thread. But for some people a vegan diet works. Myself, meat is most of my diet. Mainly chicken and tuna. 200 plus grams of protein a day. :up:
cool, although, I am not a vegan, I do consume dairy products, as far as meats go, white meats are less toxic than red meats (pork is red meat), proteins are really cool to, we get that from soy (even if jag doesn't like it, I love him nonetheless) and gluten

being a vegan takes a lot of discipline

Soy is the devil. It closely mimics and then coverts to estrogen in the human body and can seriously muck up your hormonal profile, upping your estrogen levels significantly. Not good, but especially if you are a man. Love ya, PLAS.

jag

HFCS is the devil, Soy is more of a Judas. :yay:

For those who believe meat does not cancer...

Search wikipedia: heterocyclic amines

Some heterocyclic amines (HCAs) found in cooked meat are known carcinogens. Research has shown that cooking certain meats at high temperatures creates chemicals that are not present in uncooked meats. For example, heterocyclic amines are the carcinogenic chemicals formed from the cooking of muscle meats such as beef, pork, fowl, and fish. HCAs form when amino acids and creatine (a chemical found in muscles) react at high cooking temperatures. Researchers have identified 17 different HCAs resulting from the cooking of muscle meats that may pose human cancer risk.[1] NCI's Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics found a link between individuals with stomach cancer and the consumption of cooked meat, and other studies for colorectal, pancreatic, and breast cancer is associated with high intakes of well-done, fried, or barbecued meats. Other sources of protein (milk, eggs, tofu, and organ meats such as liver) have very little or no HCA content naturally or when cooked.

This is why lions do not get cancer. Eat your meat bloody rare, meat-lovers, do not cook it.
But then again, you might get mad cow disease, arsenic in chicken, PCB dioxins and mercury in fish, if you don't cook it. So cook it. But then again you will eventually get cancer, if you cook it. So damn if you do--damn if you don't.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/heterocyclic-amines

http://www.food.gov.uk/safereating/chemsafe/acrylamide_branch/

Cooking food at high temperatures, for example broiling or barbecuing meats, can lead to the formation of minute quantities of many potent carcinogens that are comparable to those found in cigarette smoke (i.e., benzopyrene).[1] Charring of food resembles coking and tobacco pyrolysis, and produces similar carcinogens. There are several carcinogenic pyrolysis products, such as polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons, which are converted by human enzymes into epoxides, which attach permanently to DNA. Pre-cooking meats in a microwave oven for 2-3 minutes before broiling shortens the time on the hot pan, which can help minimize the formation of these carcinogens.

Reports from the Food Standards Agency have found that the known animal carcinogen Acrylamide. is generated in fried or overheated carbohydrate foods (such as french fries and potato chips).

Dude, this is why you don't eat so much fried, oily, junk food.

For those who believe meat does not cancer...

Search wikipedia: heterocyclic amines

This is why lions do not get cancer. Eat your meat bloody rare, meat-lovers. Do not cook it.
But then again, you might get mad cow disease, arsenic in chicken, PCB dioxins and mercury in fish, if you don't cook it. So cook it. But then again you will eventually get cancer, if you cook it. So damn if you and damn if you don't.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/heterocyclic-amines

It's mostly in how it's cooked, really. Meat, in of itself, doesn't cause cancer (unless that's all you ever eat, ever). It's preparation that makes the difference.

To be honest, the problem with most people's views on all of this is that they are extremist. They assume an ALL vegetable or ALL meat diet is what most people should be doing, which is idiotic. The average person's diet is ~35% meat and ~65% vegetables/fruits/grains. It's about balance and eating the right combination of things, not just all veggies or all meat or all grains or all dairy. None of those things as a solitary dietary foundation is really optimal. All things in moderation and all that.

jag

Yes, but how many percentage of people follow the food pyramid?

5%.

The rest 95% eat the food pyramid as if it's upside down.

Yes, but how many percentage of people follow the food pyramid?

5%.

The rest 95% eat the food pyramid as if it's upside down.

The food pyramid (as established by the USDA, anyway) has some flaws in it as well. The truth is, knowledgeable, balanced nutrition is something most people are either unwilling to learn or too lazy. It takes a bit of work to eat properly and to prepare foods in a way that's healthy AND tasty, and most people aren't willing to do that in this instant gratification society.

jag

Because everyone knows that before the government created the 'food pyramid', no one in all of mankind's recorded history had ever maintained a balance between eating meat, dairy products, grains, fruits and veggies :dry:

1. Water needed to produce a pound of meat: 441 gallons

2. Amount of U.S. grain fed to farm animals: 70%

3. Of all water used for all purposes in the United States, 60% goes to livestock production.

4. The great Ogallala aquifer, a resource that took a half million years to accumulate, will be depleted in less than 40 years.[2]

5. Pass up one hamburger, and you’ll save as much water as you save by taking 40 showers with a low-flow nozzle.

6. It is estimated that for each hamburger made from rainforest beef, members of life forms from approximately 20 to 30 different plant species, 100 different insect species, and dozens of bird, mammals, and reptile species are destroyed

7. A groundbreaking 2006 United Nations report found that raising animals for food generates more greenhouse gases than all the cars and trucks in the world combined

8. According to the EPA, over 200 manure discharges and spills from U.S. animal farms between 1990 and 1997 have killed more than a billion fish.[2] Animal feedlots can contaminate nearby well water with high levels of nitrates, which have been linked to miscarriages in humans as well as “blue baby” syndrome in infants. Manure lagoons and spray fields from animal agriculture also pollute the air by emitting ammonia, methane, and hydrogen sulfide.

9. Vegetarian diets help lower blood cholesterol levels; lower blood pressure; and lower rates of hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and prostate and colon cancer.

10. The Adventist Health Study found that non-vegetarians had a 54% increased risk for prostate cancer and an 88% increased risk for colorectal cancer, even after controlling for age, sex, and smoking.[1] Numerous studies show much lower cancer rates in countries which have largely plant-based diets.

And people wonder why they're fat.

Men wonder why their getting colon cancer; women wonder why their getting breast cancer.

It's all in the food you eat, people. You are what you eat.

Mmmmm.... tasty.

NOT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"