1938 Superman. The One To Adapt?

Road Warrior

Sidekick
Reaction score
They say that people can't relate to Superman. Well...let's go back to 1938 and Action Comics #1. We see him stop a corrupt Senator, save the life of a person on death row who was wrongfully convicted, defend a wife from her physically abusive husband, and prevent a kidnapped Lois Lane from possibly being raped. This is how Superman was introduced to us. He wasn't fighting aliens, monsters, and robots. He was simply a dude with superpowers who stood for truth, justice, and the American way. Maybe...that's the Superman they should adapt.

it would be interesting if they did that. But i think it would turn off alot of fans. Since that take is so old and fans want to see more of the traits that were added on yrs and yrs since the start and all that.

I don't think so. I think people want the comic version of superman in this day and age and would be let down if with all the technology available to us today and how amazing everything could potentially look, we get a another superman movie with him just taking down a few punks.

Movies have more and more spectacle these days and especially scifi adn comic movies. Supes of all people deserves to be showcased in all his glory on the big screen. the story posibilities are limitless. Batman can take on organized crime, let supes deal with bigger more menacing threats.

Movies have more and more spectacle these days

You could always compromise. Say the villain was Brainiac, the destroyer of worlds. Aside from the big action scenes you could have Superman and Brainiac debating the pros and cons of Earth. Brainiac, of course, would argue that Earth is full of murderers, thieves, rapists, etc. While Superman would prove his point not by saying but by showing. He is a symbol of hope. The people have seen him stand up for truth & justice and now they are following in his footsteps.

While i don`t mind seeing that as new cartoon or tv-series, but as a movie?

Two words:

HELL NO!

Superman has grown beyond that.

I'm starting to think that whoever does this project needs to do two things:

1. Read Action Comics 1, then have a conversation with people at DC comics

2. Dont do anything else but create a Superman for today. No Post Crisis or pre crisis....the directors version of Superman based on discussions of the character

Superman beating up thugs is weak.

It would be the equivalent of Batman breaking up two toddlers fighting in nursery.

They say that people can't relate to Superman. Well...let's go back to 1938 and Action Comics #1. We see him stop a corrupt Senator, save the life of a person on death row who was wrongfully convicted, defend a wife from her physically abusive husband, and prevent a kidnapped Lois Lane from possibly being raped. This is how Superman was introduced to us. He wasn't fighting aliens, monsters, and robots. He was simply a dude with superpowers who stood for truth, justice, and the American way. Maybe...that's the Superman they should adapt.

I'm a big advocate of Superman having a strong social conscience and fighting against social injustices, and I believe it can be done alongside the later elements as well. Certainly a corporate Luthor vs a populist Superman is a very natural conflict.

While i don`t mind seeing that as new cartoon or tv-series, but as a movie?

Two words:

HELL NO!

Superman has grown beyond that.

no reason why it can't be incorporated - superman is flying, he hears something, we go to a woman being attacked, then in doorway or alleyway entrance the shadow of supes appears... eyes glowing red...

Maybe as clark kent, he could stop a corrput senator and help a man on death row??

If it fits the story they are trying to tell but i doubt it with Braniac as the main villain. As a Tv Series? Yes. That would be cool actually!

like i said, Superman has grown beyond those feats.

If it fits the story they are trying to tell but i doubt it with Braniac as the main villain. As a Tv Series? Yes. That would be cool actually!

But i don`t think those things would fit into a two hour movie with so many more important action scenes than that.

It's also proactive things that he would do-smashing up slums and forcing the Government to build better housing, destroying car plants that made unsafe vehicles, making a gun runner go and fight in the war that he was encouraging and profiteering from...not all legal, but all just, at least to him.

I'm all for Superman kicking some ash like he used to.

superscan.jpg

Superman should not be fighting thugs and street punks, at least not on the big screen; he should be fighting world-beaters like Darkseid and Brainiac instead. Leave those thugs and punks to Batman instead. :p

Have you guys read Superman: Birthright? There was a scene in issue 5 i believe where Supes stops a school shooting (off panel). Supes tracks down the guy that sold them the guns. He picks up one of the guns and fires at the guy then catches the bullet right before it hits the guy so the guy "will no what it feels like to stare down the barrel of a gun" or something like that.

well i am sure they could use traits and ideals from the early days. But the film shouldnt just be about simple criminals, crooked senators, or wife beaters. Cause folks will want to see more stuff in a film about a character that is SUPERMAN. We should have bigger problems and threats that could be from folks like doomsday/darkseid/mogul/etc.... But then have those social theats/problems be an issue shown and probably could be the focus of articles lois and clark could be writting about. I said it before myself. I would like them to look at the character of superman as a whole. Not base this next movie/series on one take of the character like singer did with donner's superman. But take the best traits/elements from the best times of the character pre and post crisis and make new characters out of those traits with an all original story behind them.

I want a super villain in the next film, but I think it would be pretty epic that when the first time Superman shows up they recreate this scene from Action 1.

page8.jpg

scan2s.jpg

Nice scene, i have a remake of that comic. I agree with webhead, take the best from every generation of superman and make an epic movie that is fun, exciting, something anyone will enjoy but also has great character development.

If you focus on Supes only chasing regular joes, it's equivalent to watching the old hulk tv series vs the movies. Do you really want to see that hulk on the big screen vs the Incredible Hulk? Same senario.

Totally that is why i keep saying i would like to see the best traits from the characters from all eras used with a new fresh story and all that. The character has grown so much since the early siegel/shuster days and most fans and the general movie audiences would want to see more out of the character then just going after social injustice and little crooks. You could easily add those things in there along with a super bad guy like brainaic/metallo or what have you.

One of the cooler scenes in Abrams script is where some alcoholic is beating his wife, and Superman steps in...and the guy doesnt realize. Could be a very humorous scene.

Have you guys read Superman: Birthright? There was a scene in issue 5 i believe where Supes stops a school shooting (off panel). Supes tracks down the guy that sold them the guns. He picks up one of the guns and fires at the guy then catches the bullet right before it hits the guy so the guy "will no what it feels like to stare down the barrel of a gun" or something like that.

:wow::wow::wow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"