2-minute Iron Man clip from Nick at Nite

Discussion in 'Iron Man' started by ironwez20, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Juha

Juha Maybe I should retire

That clip was so cool and Downey Jr. is hilarious! Although I already regret watching that clip because the movie is so close that there's no sense in spoiling the scenes for youself whatsoever.

2. Knightsaber Priss

Knightsaber Priss Lone Wolf

Just stop getting so snippy. Not all of us are young enough to understand Internet Speak you know. Me, I'm 35 and remember when computer technology was in its infancy. We never had internet speak. They were just computers not a lifestyle. Just take a chill pill and remember to use proper English on message boards like this that have Old Timers in it.

Anyways, I just love how Tony asks the one robot not to douse him when he's not on fire. That might not be the emo, post Demon In A Bottle Tony Stark, but it's the authentic reaction you'd get from a real person in the same situation.

3. ultimatefan

ultimatefan The Batman must come back

I like the clumsy experimentation on flying, RDJ really conveys how scared and awkward you´d really feel doing a test like this, my only problem is now I´m REALLY beginning to get the "too many jokes" feel out of this movie... Don´t get me wrong, I´m NOT saying this should be dark or something, but it´s all a balancing act, when you push too hard for laughs, you´re not believing the story and the characters, and not having faith in the audience. Ideally, it´s like a movie like the first two Spider-Man or the first two Superman, where you have a mix of everything: drama, action, comedy, romance, suspense...

4. Kent

Kent The Lord of Thwipp

Very good clip. RDJ really sells it. Plus, I actually like the music.

5. Knightsaber Priss

Knightsaber Priss Lone Wolf

I'm adopting a wait and see attitude about this. Maybe they're just showing us the lighthearted moments first so as not to scare potential uninitiated moviegoers away with too much darkness. Plus they might be doing this to show Joe Public Robert Downey Jr.'s lighthearted side to deflect their thoughts of his past legal difficulties.

6. Iron_Stark

Iron_Stark That's a one-off

Well look where they put the clip, on Nickelodeon(sp) in front of Spongebob or whatever, I really doubt they'd put a dark scene where he's being held captive by the terrorists with blood seeping out of his bandages or a scene where he's he's boozing it up with hot models or a another adult themed scene.

7. samsnee

samsnee Well-Known Member

The music in this clip was much better than the one on the apple site.

8. ultimatefan

ultimatefan The Batman must come back

Hope you´re right.

9. terry78

terry78 I'm gonna need more rope

We can save the Ang Lee Hulk psychodrama for the sequel when he starts hitting the creature. His first outing should be more fun.

10. Iron_Stark

Iron_Stark That's a one-off

After reading the novel there's a good balance of seriousness and humor. Hopefully Favreau keeps it that way, this isn't a full on action comedy like Rush Hour.

11. NoirMan82

NoirMan82 Well-Known Member

I don't think that's the case here. Humor really fits into Stark's personality. As long as the humor is there when it's appropriate, I'm fine. So far it seems that when scenes need to be more serious, like starks capture or his fight with Iron Monger, things get very dark, so there is a balance. I think Marvel is just trying to keep it fun without going to FF levels with it.

12. blk_spidey

blk_spidey New Goblin

the clip it's awesome! i like that robot watching tony!

13. Bubonic

Bubonic Well-Known Member

That makes perfect sense to me, a huge chunk of the audience is going to be kids, and possibly the kids parents.
    So if this was marketed in too grim a way, it would cut out a big portion of the cash.

14. Kirk Langstrom

Kirk Langstrom FRANCINE!!!!

My thoughts exactly. Watched it. Loved it. But then kicked myself for being impatient.

It's like, the only superhero movie i've ever gone into nearly completely blind, was the first Spider-Man movie, and it was such a blast not knowing what was going to happen next....

Damn, my lack of willpower, lol...:woot:

15. BobJM

BobJM Who's Bad?

I went into the first two X-Men films and two Spider-Man films completely blind...

Then I joined SHH.:woot:

16. NoirMan82

NoirMan82 Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right, Bubonic. One thing that has hurt the returns of films like Batman Begins and X2: X-Men United is that they weren't marketed as kid friendly (which I loved) I don't think IM is either, but the folks at Paramount are making it seem that way to get some strong box office returns. I think this movie looks like obvious fun and excitement for people of all ages, and that's why I predict a 70-80 million dollar opening weekend for IM.:im:

17. bosef982

bosef982 Well-Known Member

Um, the music was better in this one, I must say. I actually liked certain cues and phrases.

And overall, the humor didn't necessarily bother me until the "second" joke -- beat a dead horse -- about the extinguishers, and at the end when it's about to douse him and like a pet he goes, "Na-ah-ah-ah-ah." It's just so...I don't know: juvenile. I also hated the "YIKES!" -- what is he? Seven years-old?

Taken as a total, I haven't seen one clip -- ONE CLIP -- that doesn't have Stark jesting or being a jokester. He. Is. Not. Spider-Man.

This is really only confirming my initial belief that Stark is going to be some happy-go-lucky wise-ass joke-cracking fool for most of the film, both in and out of the suit.

I mean, some of the humor's justified, some of it's not.

I'm going to dive back into my Iron Man comic books and get a feel for this because the one line about donating you to a college actually reminds me a bit of Ultimate Iron Man.

We'll see...maybe this is a promotional thing, or maybe we're witnessing the single greatest flaw of this movie.

EIther way, at least the music sounded good.

18. Rocker22

Rocker22 Well-Known Member

Glad you like the music more now.

And you will see there is a point in the movie where he isn't such a wise cracking fool and realizes that something must be done.

19. ironwez20

ironwez20 Well-Known Member

im not angry:cmad:,

20. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

Ok, so he's trying out his jets. For two minutes. He just floats around and makes the same joke repeatedly. It's kind of funny the first time and then...I dunno. I have to say I agree with Bosef and the others who are recognizing the obvious so far: They've turned him into a comedian. Tony Stark may be funny, but he's not neccessarily supposed to be a comedian. So far, it looks like every single scene Stark has to be the funny guy...even when there's no one there.

As Bosef said, some of the humor is justified...some of it is not. Pounding at us every two seconds with a new "funny moment" is not the right tone.

But we'll see.

The "suiting up" looked cool as hell.

Can't argue that.

Cool. As. Hell.

21. Figs

Figs Well-Known Member

No S*** he's not Spider-Man, none of his jokes really felt like Spider-Man jokes.

Stark has always cracked jokes in the comics...you know what...almost every Marvel character has throughout their history. The only difference is Spider-Man is the one know for doing it more while fighting and using cheesy ones as well.

As for the second joke, you people seriously need to lighten up. That wasn't nearly as bad, cheesy or childish as jokes/lines we've gotten in past comic films. Beating a dead horse?? With an opener/warning then a closer at the end?? No, beating a dead horse would in fact be if he mentioned something about the extinguisher a fourth or fifth time. He warns the machine once, it starts to put him out so he starts going off on it. I don't see how that can be seen as beating a dead horse.

I just call it like I see it and frankly some of you just have no sense of humour and don't seem to want any humour what so ever in these films. Which, if you want to get down to facts and bringing these properties to film with accuracy...no humour would actually stray from most of the characters I've read over the years.

I understand if you guys want these comic films to be super epic and serious dramatic/action pieces...which I think is part of that fanboy fear of the general audience not liking it thinking it's silly thus fanboys get bitter because they still look like dorks in the end since what they're into got shunned again by the GA.

It's just none of these comics were that epic and crazy super adult drama filled...ever. Yes there were serious and dramatic times, like in Demon in a Bottle but it still had Stark joking here and there.

If these comic films were all made to be incredibly serious like a 'real life' type drama they wouldn't be as recognizable in comparison to the comics.

22. ironwez20

ironwez20 Well-Known Member

i love how the robot tries to douse him everytime

23. terry78

terry78 I'm gonna need more rope

I think whenever a live action version of a comic or animated series is brought to the light, diehard fans want a "serious" take on it for some reason. Transformers, as goofy as the show was, fanboys griped about it being comedic in about 1/2 of it, but the show itself was that goofy at times. Look at most of Iron Man's comics and covers, from the mid 60's till now, with the exception of some of the Civil War stuff and the Demon Bottle arcs, he's always been a smarmy playboy type..that's just how he is. He's already a celebrity, the public probably knows him as a smart ass.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. DACMAN

DACMAN The Spidey Fan

HAHAHA!!!! Whoever posted this got owned!

25. Spider-Bat

Spider-Bat BATMAN

finally watched the Clip. So good and funny without being campy, like some Marvel movies have done or just awkward.

I hope the whole movie is good.

Marvel needs a good solid movie. Ghostrider was not that great, Spidey 3 fell apart, X-Men 3 was crap although Beast was cool.

And Ironman and The Hulk look really good though. I think TDK will be the big winner this summer but Ironman will be close.