2012/2013 NBA thread: This thread is POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just going to put it plainly, Dudly can shoot but that's it. He's not a good defender, marginal at best. I don't think trading him for Shump is a fair swap even with the draft pick because this team has a small window and I think Dragic would help this team a lot more than Dudley will. And I know that the contracts don't match but if you are going to trade Shump to Phoenix, I wouldn't do it for Dudley.
See, now that's just not true.

Skill-wise if I had to say what Jared Dudley does best, I'd say it was perimeter defence. What lets him down is that he's a god awful post defender who plays considerably shorter than his listed 6'7 to the point that I'd say Shump plays bigger at 6'5 with hair.

You know what, I think Melo would help this team more than Shump would... But that don't mean it's gonna happen.

Dudley is a lot better than people give him credit for.

Hopefully all this Laker talk will quite down once they don't make the playoffs. It's really the only topic of basketball they talk about on ESPN. It's gotten really annoying, regardless of who to blame. The whole team is at fault for them not performing. The Clippers were on a what, 15 game win streak and they were spoken about for maybe 3 minutes.
I think that is just because the media would rather cover teams that were expected to do good but instead are doing bad. Like the Heat in 2010 got so much attention. Now they don't get no where near as much as to when they first started out.

The fact that the deal apparently includes us throwing in a first round pick and to me that's terrible with the only upside being that we won't be paying anywhere near as much for Shumpert over the next three years as we are for Dudley. But that's because Shump is still on his bargain bin rookie contract.

And the fact that Docker threw in Dragic just shows he has no concept of the value of the players involved. It's a cash deal so we can do something in the free agent market, which we clearly need to... but I'd rather not do it at the expense of Dudley.
Yikes. A first rounder too? There's nowhere near that kind of premium coming Phoenix's way. :dry:

My first line of thought was how silly it'd be for the Knicks to give up their best (really, the only legitimate) perimeter defender for another shooter... because that's just what they need; more 3s. Coming off knee surgery or not, he's still, like, 23. Even with Dudley being a decent defender himself, Shumpert is better with a longer window and the rookie contract, like you mentioned. Although, I do appreciate fanciful rumors coming to light in lieu of the Grizzlies citing they won't trade Randolph.

Dragic for Shumpert. :funny: I will say, that's some impressive height he has on the hi-top. That alone might be worth a conditional second rounder. Think of the marketing.

5 straight games of 30+ points, 60+ FG%. Third occurrence of all time; first since 1981. 71.4% FG, overall (9-15 from 3).

Damn, LeBron.

I honestly think Dudley is a better perimeter defender than Shump is and his shot would fit better in the Knicks system where they get good call movement. The downside for the Knicks from where I'm sitting is that Rudy Gay just changed conferences giving another post 3, Lebron would kill him in the low post and they'd have no other options to throw at Bron if he's doing that.

He's a less versatile defender than Shump, but just on the perimeter he's great. Kobe used to tear us up because he'd slaughter Dudley down low and was too fast for Grant Hill (unsurprisingly) outside. I can't think of too many times in recent years where Kobe beat him from outside and Dudley had very few problems guarding anybody else. Impressive when you consider he was who we'd throw at other teams main perimeter threat.

The cash difference I don't see as a con for New York for the reason Docker mentioned pertaining to draft picks - they've only got a small window and Shump is one of their few good contracts to deal.

Lance Blanks: *Sigh* Alright, so we're looking at giving up a first round pick and our Captain Jared Dudley for Iman Shumpert... Hmm...
Grunwald: Well, not so fast. We haven't talked about the possibility of Goran Dragic.
Blanks: *Clik* *Dial tone*
Grunwald: Hello? Hello? *Calls back*
Blanks: Hello, Phoenix Suns front office, Lance Blanks speaking.
Grunwald: Hi, it's me. I think we got cut off.
Blanks: *Clik* *Dial tone*
Grunwald: Oh...

What about Shumpert and Camby for Dragic and Dudley?

I'd pull the trigger on Dudley and a first rounder for Shumpert IF the money we saved made the difference between being able to make a run at Dwight in the off-season.

I don't have the time to run the math to figure out whether that's the care though since I'm at work.

Dude, Howard ain't going to the Suns. They need to focus on trying to draft well and hope for the best.

Not necessarily specifically Howard. But Max cap kind of money. Bynum is a free agent this off-season. Failing those two, we could look at a lesser couple of pick-ups that could mesh well.

Fact is, more young kids aren't going to be a solution in and of themselves. At the moment we're not an option for Dwight, but it's a long time until the off-season and a deal for just a bit more cap space could possibly throw our name out there as big players in this years free agency.

Other than a Dwight or Bynum I wouldn't want to throw max contract at anyone. I mean, what's left? Josh Smith? Jennings? Screw that for big coin. But there's a few lessers who would still be an upgrade on what we have and supplement our lottery pick.

Actually, I just read that the Nets are pushing hard for Josh Smith. I then laughed for about 10 minutes straight until it was time for The Walking Dead.

We're not out-paying the Nets and their Bond-villain owner...

Not necessarily specifically Howard. But Max cap kind of money. Bynum is a free agent this off-season. Failing those two, we could look at a lesser couple of pick-ups that could mesh well.

Fact is, more young kids aren't going to be a solution in and of themselves. At the moment we're not an option for Dwight, but it's a long time until the off-season and a deal for just a bit more cap space could possibly throw our name out there as big players in this years free agency.

Other than a Dwight or Bynum I wouldn't want to throw max contract at anyone. I mean, what's left? Josh Smith? Jennings? Screw that for big coin. But there's a few lessers who would still be an upgrade on what we have and supplement our lottery pick.

Bynum doesn't deserve a max deal either. They'd be fools to spend that much on that loser.....which means there's a good chance they will do exactly that. :o Has he even played this season?

I just don't see Howard going to the Valley of the Sun. It would be like going right back to Orlando.....only worse. Seeing as the Nets have pretty much given up, it's either Dallas or the Lakers. Unless some serious wheeling and dealing goes down.

Actually, I just read that the Nets are pushing hard for Josh Smith. I then laughed for about 10 minutes straight until it was time for The Walking Dead.

The Brooklyn Hawks?

Bynum doesn't deserve a max deal either. They'd be fools to spend that much on that loser.....which means there's a good chance they will do exactly that. :o Has he even played this season?

I just don't see Howard going to the Valley of the Sun. It would be like going right back to Orlando.....only worse. Seeing as the Nets have pretty much given up, it's either Dallas or the Lakers. Unless some serious wheeling and dealing goes down.

Just a few things about being a Suns fan to add some perspective about this situation:

1. The center position has been our "white whale" since forever and we've been very willing to put up with borderline insane levels of turmoil in order to fill it - and fans have wanted a center for so long that even giving up too much would be considered fairly safe from a popular point of view, and the owners would be happy because it would sell season tickets.
How much have we wanted a center? Well, before a well-past-his-prime Shaquille O'Neal came to town our previous best centers where Alvan Adams, Mark West and Oliver Miller.

If healthy I think there's a fair claim that he's worth the max, which in Phoenix means "definitely deserves the max".

That said we haven't been major players in the Dwight stakes, but we haven't done anything to throw our hat in the ring for him.

Having the cash there changes that if only by making us a possibility.

Surprisingly, someone will pay that loser a max deal even though he barely played a game this year. This is why guaranteed contracts are bad for the NBA. Like the NFL, players would be playing for their lives if they knew they'd be cut in a heartbeat.

It's why bad teams stay bad teams. They spend way too much for guys that aren't worth the cash, then don't have the money to buy enough pieces to go with said, over paid, lucky mofo who managed to come along at the right position, at the right time to land a fat contract said mofo don't deserve........yeah.

Yes, but there's certain bad teams (Milwaukee, Minnesota) who have to overpay just to get people to stay because they're undesirable locations.

That's why KG and Redd tied the hands of their teams for most of a decade. They aren't desirable free agent locations like L.A, the Florida teams, New York or Dallas.

I think unless some serious smack talk is said to Howard he will stay with the Lakers. If anything looks like he would want to prove to Kobe that he can handle it. I think it is too late this year but if they can get it together they could come back next year much stronger.

I think unless some serious smack talk is said to Howard he will stay with the Lakers. If anything looks like he would want to prove to Kobe that he can handle it. I think it is too late this year but if they can get it together they could come back next year much stronger.
LOL if you think Dwight is staying in LA. Not. Going. To. Happen.

LOL if you think Dwight is staying in LA. Not. Going. To. Happen.
Where will he go? The Nets? He doesn't want to go anywhere he feels won't be making the playoffs. If he leaves he just gives Kobe ammo to say something like ''If you can't handle the purple and gold you gotta go'' Which seems to be where Kobe is getting at by saying Howard didn't have to worry about the things he does now back when he was in Orlando. You may think he is a sure thing gone and I wouldn't be surprised if he left, but I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed at least 1 more year either just to show Kobe.

Dwight leaving LA is showing Kobe. If he leaves, no way does Kobe come close to winning another ring unless he's traded. And with Dantoni there, I don't blame Dwight at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"