2012: A Monster Year? (box office predictions) - Part 5

TR is going to beat TDKR this weekend.

Total Recall is tracking at $30M. That feels off. It will be a tight weekend but I imagine The Dark Knight Rises wins again.

I think Total recall can do atleast $45 million honestly. It wont be groundbreaking but enough to where it wont be called a bomb right away.

If that tracking for TR holds than TDKR should have a good shot to be #1 again with around $33-35 million for the weekend.

I think it's pretty clear that this weekend is TDKR's last chance at another #1. Because I don't see it having much chance at all of topping Bourne4 the following weekend.

I think Total recall can do atleast $45 million honestly. It wont be groundbreaking but enough to where it wont be called a bomb right away.

It has a $200 million production budget so it needs at least a $55 million or more opening. It can be a great movie, one of the best of the summer but this looks to be one of those films where the big budget won't help it bring in more people.

Before the shooting you could maybe argue that once The Bourne Legacy was bumped back a week but with 20-25% of people staying away dropping down to around $30 million seems likely.

TDKR will pass $310 million domestically today, which will be more than what Batman Returns did adjusted for inflation and will surpass Batman Forever later this week.

Cant believe they spent 200 mill on Total Recall

That is crazy!

Love me some Minority Report

But yeah 200 mill with no bankable stars, in summer was not a good idea. Is it in 3D

on total recall I can see the money on the screen when theyve shown the city shots so far but other than that they must have had some great lunches.

It may be a long time for Fox to have three R-rated films as part of their summer lineup. The Watch and Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter bombed even with $70 million budgets. While Prometheus did better domestically and internationally than the last four Alien movies it just didn't have any legs and had big drops in all markets. It does have a few more release dates this month in parts of Europe and then Japan so that may push it to a small profit but for now it's a disappointment. UFEA 2012 and the 2012 Olympics have shuffled some films release dates so films like Ted and Brave haven't gotten released in larger overseas markets.

On pace to be a.... Box Office Bomb ● Box Office Disappointment ● Box Office Success ● Blockbuster ● Not Yet Released

based on worldwide gross, budget, marketing costs and type of film (indie/blockbuster) Films will likely turn a profit/break even with global TV cable sales and Blu-ray sales.

Dark Shadows ● Battleship ● What to Expect When You're Expecting ● Piranha 3DD ● Lola Versus ● Rock of Ages ● That's My Boy ● Girl in Progress ● Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter ● Seeking a Friend for the End of the World ● People Like Us ● Savages ● The Watch ● Ruby Sparks ● Searching For Sugar Man ●

The Dictator ● Hysteria ● Chernobyl Diaries ● Snow White and the Huntsman ● Prometheus ● Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection ● Katy Perry: Part of Me ● Beasts of the Southern Wild ● Step Up Revolution ● Easy Money

MIB3 ● Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted ● Moonrise Kingdom ● Brave ● Ted ● Magic Mike ● The Amazing Spider-Man ●

The Avengers ● Ted ● Ice Age: Continental Drift ● The Dark Knight Rises ●

Warner Bros.

Dark Shadows 5/11/12
Chernobyl Diaries 5/25/12

Rock of Ages 6/15/12
Magic Mike 6/29/12
The Dark Knight Rises 7/20/12
The Campaign 8/10/12
The Apparition 8/24/12

Buena Vista Pictures (Disney)

The Avengers 05/04/12
Brave 6/22/12
People Like Us 6/29/12
The Odd Life of Timothy Green 8/15/12

Universal
Battleship 5/18/12
Snow White and the Huntsman 6/1/12
Ted 6/29/12
Savages 7/6/12
The Bourne Legacy 8/10/12

20th Century Fox

Prometheus 6/8/12
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter 6/22/12
Ice Age: Continental Drift 7/13/12
The Watch 7/27/12
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days 8/3/12

Columbia Pictures / TriStar

MIB 3 5/25/12
That's My Boy 6/15/12
The Amazing Spider-Man 7/3/12
Total Recall 8/3/12
Hope Springs 8/10/12
Sparkle 8/17/12
Premium Rush 8/24/12

Paramount Pictures / Dreamworks Animation

The Dictator 5/16/12
Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted 6/8/12
Katy Perry: Part of Me 7/5/12

Weinstein / Dimension Films

Piranha 3DD 6/1/12
Easy Money 7/27/12
Lawless 8/31/12

Lionsgate

Girl in Progress 5/11/12
What to Expect When You're Expecting 5/18/12
Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection 6/29/12

The Expendables 2 8/17/12
The Possession 8/31/12

Focus Features

Moonrise Kingdom 5/25/12
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World 6/22/12
ParaNorman 8/17/12
For a Good Time, Call... 8/31/12

Fox Searchlight

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel 5/4/12
Lola Versus 6/8/12
Beasts of the Southern Wild 6/27/12
Ruby Sparks 7/25/12

Sony Pictures Classics
Hysteria 5/18/12
To Rome with Love 6/22/12
Searching for Sugar Man 7/27/12
Celeste and Jesse Forever 8/3/12

Summit Entertainment
Step Up Revolution 7/27/12

Open Road Films
Hit & Run 8/21/12

Film District
Safety Not Guaranteed 6/8/12

Millennium Entertainment

Bernie 5/2

Last edited:
len wiseman's last movie was live free or die hard and that actually made some money but not alot and that had bruce willis for god sakes and a alot smaller budget.

Live free or die hard
Production Budget: $110 million

Domestic: $134,529,403 35.1%+ Foreign: $249,002,061 64.9%= Worldwide: $383,531,464

Last edited:
Most of them deservedly so.

The stats show that this a message to Hollywood: Make better movies.

Most of them deservedly so.

The stats show that this a message to Hollywood: Make better movies.
Yeah :up:

The box office has behaved very well this year in demonstrating that. :woot:

I should add that another problem is that these Hollywood studios are overspending on movies, and it's becoming a bigger problem.

Some of these movies could have been made with smaller budgets and should have.

I should add that another problem is that these Hollywood studios are overspending on movies, and it's becoming a bigger problem.

Some of these movies could have been made with smaller budgets and should have.

This. I mean budgets get so out of control for movies. GL, Battleship, John Carter, and now seemingly Total Recall

Ribs and kobe beef everyday...

also steaks catered by ruth chris steakhouse, lobster tails, steamed crabs flown in from maryland with some old bay and deserts flown in from italy. I always think of that scene from tropic thunder where the crew is partying and eating and drinking exotic foods after one week of shooting being completed haha.

Some of these movies could be made with a $100 million budget, but they keep overloading on special effects.

the funny part is too on most of these movies they look fake and crappy while smaller movies like district 9 look like $200 million dollar movies cinematically and effects wise.

I doubt that beckinsale and colin demanded that much of a payday ethier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"