2012 Emmy Awards: Snubs & Surprises

The question that this then begs is whether this is because the Emmy's are going the route of the Oscar's in eschewing what's 'popular' in favour of what's 'artistic' and/or 'edgy'.

Also to ask is whether the Big 4's absence in the Best Drama category is because they are mostly procedural shows - are procedural shows inherently not nomination-worthy OR has there been a lack of innovation and noteworthiness about the current crop of procedural shows?

That, times a million.

And I believe awards shows should be based on creative and artistic merit, not popularity. That's why nobody with any credibility gives a flying **** about the Grammys.

Hope Sherlock wins some stuff but I doubt it. Despite critical acclaim and loyal hardcore fanbase the 2nd season got slept on this year stateside by alot of people which is a shame because it was even better than the first season.

The question that this then begs is whether this is because the Emmy's are going the route of the Oscar's in eschewing what's 'popular' in favour of what's 'artistic' and/or 'edgy'.

I don't think that's the case. Shows like Lost and 24 simply aren't in the same league as things like Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

Also to ask is whether the Big 4's absence in the Best Drama category is because they are mostly procedural shows - are procedural shows inherently not nomination-worthy OR has there been a lack of innovation and noteworthiness about the current crop of procedural shows?

Since 2000, every single winner has been a serial drama: The West Wing (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003), The Sopranos (2004, 2007), Lost (2005), 24 (2006) and Mad Men (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011). That's six on the broadcast networks and four on basic cable and two on premium cable. Whoever wins this year will also be a serial drama on basic or premium cable network or public broadcasting network.

Would this be a better Outstanding Drama list?

NCIS
NCIS: Los Angeles
Castle
Criminal Minds
The Mentalist
The Good Wife

So much has changed in the past 13 years, from changing demographics to the expansion of cable.

NBC's fall from 1st to 4th for instance has played a huge role in cable taking over as NBC would field 2 nominees for most of the 1980s and 1990s. Plus the shows on cable could've been on network TV but they didn't want them. Mad Men was pitched to HBO along with NBC, but NBC didn't want it because of the smoking. Hill Street Blues could've been a cable show. NBC was the last network to have three nominees in a single year and they did that twice. Now HBO and AMC are close to doing that.

Where's the love for Justified? :-)csad:) Although I wasn't surprise to see that Downton Abbey getting nominated for Drama Series (even if the second series was mediocre), I was surprised that it scored six acting nominations. Also, it's great that Louis C.K. received 7 Emmy nominations in total, but the fact that Louie wasn't on the Comedy Series is baffling. Besides that, I am pleased with this year's nominations.

It just occured to me that there is a huge snub that went overlooked this year. How the bad place did Kelsey Grammer not get nominated for Boss? He WON the best actor Golden Globe and doesn't even get an Emmy nomination? It is a shame because he is fantastic on Boss.

It just occured to me that there is a huge snub that went overlooked this year. How the bad place did Kelsey Grammer not get nominated for Boss? He WON the best actor Golden Globe and doesn't even get an Emmy nomination? It is a shame because he is fantastic on Boss.

The Golden Globes are a joke of an awards show used by studios for marketing and the media for stories voted on by a corrupt organization of amateur foreign film fans that only nominate their favourite actors so they can maybe see them at a luncheon and the awards show itself. Cranston wins an Emmy and he isn't nominated at the Golden Globes because he isn't a 'celebrity'. Only because they would look even more foolish did they start nominating him.

This was no problem before the Emmys went with lower watched programs while during the 90s the Emmys were filled with the most popular shows and stars.

It also makes money for Dick Clark Productions and NBC so they don't want to clean it up and have professional critics from around the world involved. Basically a 'classier' People's Choice Awards.

Boss' ratings were so small at one point they couldn't even properly measure them. He may have been great but it seems the very low viewership plus Starz having a smaller 'For Your Consideration' campaign budget hurt his chances. Plus it is a very competitive field in Best Drama (where Boss was also nominated for) and Best Actor.

That, times a million.

And I believe awards shows should be based on creative and artistic merit, not popularity. That's why nobody with any credibility gives a flying **** about the Grammys.

Perhaps but the crux of the issue I raise is why are dramas with relatively small audiences the only ones being deemed Emmy-worthy? If the shows are so good, why aren't more people watching them? Personally, an important attribute of a 'good' show is one that manages to be accessible across a wide audience.

Because the general audience loves ****. :o

Perhaps but the crux of the issue I raise is why are dramas with relatively small audiences the only ones being deemed Emmy-worthy? If the shows are so good, why aren't more people watching them? Personally, an important attribute of a 'good' show is one that manages to be accessible across a wide audience.

They can be more complex and also serial dramas so people feel that they need to start from the beginning or they try to watch but are lost because they don't know what is going on.

With a procedural they can watch and fold laundry, text, cook and turn their brain off and just enjoy catching a bad guy and maybe some sexual tension between the leads.

They may also watch them on DVR weeks later, wait for DVD, borrow the DVD, Netflix, download, not watch until years later. So in ten years Mad Men could have the same size viewing audience as NCIS:LA.

Breaking Bad and Mad Men have seen their viewership grow each year because more people catch up during the breaks where network shows tend to decline after peaking in viewership in either seasons 1-3.

Better acting, better stories seem to be the reason they're nominated as the acting and writing categories are also filled with serial drama shows. Critics who have a job to watch lots of television seem to have the usual group of shows that are regarded to be the best. These are the people that watch EVERY pilot and watch a few episodes for a few new shows to see if there is something there. Cable allows writers to make a better product.

Also if you're an actor the cable series might appeal to you more so you watch 3 episodes of Homeland and skip all the CBS dramas because they don't appeal to you and you nominate that show. That's where campaigning and marketing comes in. People are busy with their jobs they don't have time to watch 30 dramas, 20 comedies, 20 reality shows.

I just saw a commercial on CBS, with them boasting that the network has 60 Emmy noms. Ugh. :whatever:

Like they need anything more to brag about.

I definitely agree with a lot of the snubs that people have brought up. I love Modern Family (though this season wasn't as funny), but I mean COME ON.

Here's how my breakdown for the comedy categories would be, in my ideal world. (I'm not gonna do drama because I don't watch enough dramas right now. Pretty much only Breaking Bad. I need to start watching Homeland and Game of Thrones though.)

Best Comedy Series:

Parks and Recreation
Community
Happy Endings
Modern Family
30 Rock
New Girl

Maybe I'd swap Veep for 30 Rock, but I actually thought 30 Rock was really strong this year. And while I said Modern Family wasn't as funny, I'd still give it the edge.

Best Actor:

Louis CK "Louie"
Larry David "Curb Your Enthusiasm"
Alec Baldwin "30 Rock"
Joel McHale "Community"
Jim Parsons "Big Bang Theory"
Don Cheadle "House of Lies"

Okay so I only swapped in McHale for Cryer, but once I thought about it most of my problems were with the supporting categories...

Best Actress:

Tina Fey "30 Rock"
Julia Louis Dreyfus "Veep"
Amy Poehler "Parks and Recreation"
Courteney Cox "Cougar Town"
Martha Plimpton "Raising Hope"
Zooey Deschanel "New Girl"

I imagine the girl from "Girls" is actually deserving, but I haven't seen it yet so I didn't include her.

Best Supporting Actor:

Damon Wayans Jr "Happy Endings"
Danny Pudi "Community"
Donald Glover "Community"
Nick Offerman "Parks and Recreation"
Adam Scott "Parks and Recreation"
Ty Burrell "Modern Family"
Max Greenfield "New Girl"
James Van Der Beek "Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23"

OKAY I'm cheating and adding two people to the supporting categories because I can't choose! But quite frankly shouldn't the supporting categories have more people?!?! I could easily continue filling this too with people from Community, Parks and Rec, and Happy Endings, and yes even Modern Family. It was so hard not putting Jim Rash, Aziz Ansari, and Chris Pratt on this list.

Best Supporting Actress

Alison Brie "Community"
Gillian Jacobs "Community"
Eliza Coupe "Happy Endings"
Casey Wilson "Happy Endings"
Julie Bowen "Modern Family"
Aubrey Plaza "Parks and Recreation"
Jane Krakowski "30 Rock"
Kaitlin Olsen "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia"

Again, it was very hard not including Elisha Cuthbert and a few other people (namely Cheryl Hines for Suburgatory, Anna Chumsky for Veep, and Busy Phillips for Cougar Town). Narrowing this down is hard!

Okay looking back maybe my list isn't much better since I basically only included shows I've seen so everybody is basically from the same 5 shows...

I really don't understand the love for 'Happy Endings'. I've tried watching the show a couple of times, and in terms of being funny, it's a single-camera version of 'Two and a Half Men'.

I find it very funny. It struggled to find it's footing in S1 but by the end of S1 and throughout S2 it got really funny.
The characters areall well acted and the storylines are silly but in a good way. Like the episode where 2 characters try and stop another characters addiction to V Necks. Stupid sounding but they pulled it off. And I feel they do a good job with stuff like that

I really don't understand the love for 'Happy Endings'. I've tried watching the show a couple of times, and in terms of being funny, it's a single-camera version of 'Two and a Half Men'.

Take a look at your avvy.

Because that's what I'm doing to you right now. :argh:

It's just not my show. There's really no hook for me to be invested in the storylines/characters; everyone's too similar for my taste. Although, I think Eliza Coupe's talented enough.

However, to each their own.

Because he's Kelsey Grammer and hopefully all of these years after Frasier, someone finally realized he plays the same annoying character in everything.

Jason Gann should at least be nominated for supporting actor, he's hilarious as Wilfred. Maybe next year.

It's hard to be nominated for supporting actor in a comedy when the voters have their lips firmly planted around Modern Family's ****. :o

I think everyone on MOdern Family is hilarious, but yeah the whole supporting acting category is f***ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"