2012 NFL Thread: Football's Fabulous Final Four

Only five teams? That won't work in the NFL 'cause the NFL is about money. With the current format you have eight different teams in the playoffs.

I personally like the playoff format for the NFL. As a big fan of Rugby as well, I can honestly say that their playoff system wouldn't work for Professional Football.

Arians at Arizona? Kelly at Philly? McCoy at San Diego? Chud at Cleveland?

I gotta say, I don't see anybody keeping their jobs two years from now.

Only five teams? That won't work in the NFL 'cause the NFL is about money. With the current format you have eight different teams in the playoffs.

5 in each conference sorry, we call it the final 5 because we only have one league. lol I'll explain it to you in case you're unfamiliar, in actual fact you get more games out of it than the current set up. I'll use the NFC as an example.

Week 1 - Qualifying Playoffs
Game NFC-A: Team 4 v Team 5 @ Team 4 (loser eliminated)
Game NFC-B: Team 2 v Team 3 @ Team 2 (winner plays Team 1)
Team 1 BYE

Week 2 - Qualifying Semi-Finals
Game NFC-C: Loser Game B v Winner Game A @ Loser B (loser eliminated)
Game NFC-D: Team 1 v Winner Game B @ Team 1 (winner to Week 3 Conference Championship)

Week 3 - Qualifying Final
Game NFC-E: Loser D v Winner C @ Loser D (loser eliminated)

Week 4 - Conference Championship
Game NFC-F: Winner D v Winner E @ Winner D (Winner to Super Bowl)

Week 5 - Superbowl
Game G: Winner NFC v Winner AFC

Essentially the format gives Team 1 a second chance in case they lose their first game whilst also giving them home field advantage, Team 5 on the other hand has to play every match sudden death and away from home.

The problem with the format is that football players are playing too many games as it is and I don't think football fans would enjoy the concept of the #1 seed team getting a second chance after a loss.

I agree also, taking away 2 playoff teams especially in the current format when 6 seeds have won the Super Bowl.

America would explode if the 1 seed had 2 chances

Ok, just a suggestion. :)

America would explode if the 1 seed had 2 chances

Yeah, I don't think there's a team in the NFL, that the average fan would be okay with having 2 chances. And at least half the teams that people would almost riot.

I think that 5 team playoff format would fail in the NFL. I like the current 6 seed formula, myself. I think it is fair.

Must be a cultural thing.

Lets just make this single table. Divide the season in 2. Every one plays each other twice. Works for soccer...

You're right in thinking the #1 seed should have an advantage, a first round bye and homefield is plenty. An extra loss seems a bit much.

I don't really see anything unfair about the current football playoff arrangement. If any shortcomings or issues crop up during the playoffs, they stem from the rules within the game itself, which are also equally fair to both teams.

God f@%king dammit!!!!!!

Well, Panthers are going 1-15 next season. Son of a b&€*h!!!!

His steaks are delicious though.

Knocking the top seeds out once is usually tough enough. Giving them a double elimination, plus home field and a bye would really be stacking the deck.

Plus, the NFL loves that fans feel their teams have a legitimate shot at winning it all, even a wildcard team.

10 Wild Cards have made it to the Super Bowl in the past 42 years. 6 have won, although it's been more prevalent now with 4 winning in the past 12 years.

You're right in thinking the #1 seed should have an advantage, a first round bye and homefield is plenty. An extra loss seems a bit much.

The playoffs should be sudden death for every team. That ups the stakes for each game and doesn't give do-overs to teams that blow their chances. A team with a bye and home-field advantage that loses to the lowest-ranked squad in the playoffs doesn't deserve another chance.

Chudzinski has put together quite the coaching staff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"