2013-2014 NBA Discussion Thread: The Dwightmare is Over!

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Mr. Dent, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

Free agency, coaching changes, and summer leagues oh my

2. runawayboulder

runawayboulder 2016 NFL Pick Em CHAMP

In Houston, the Dwightmare has only just begun....:o

3. Doc Samson

Doc Samson Superhero Psychiatrist

It better not be. Him and Derrick Rose haven't left fans as crestfallen as Lebron after the Decision, but they'll definitely be under microscopes neither has experienced before...

4. TanneRain

TanneRain Bane'd User

Victor Oladipo, ROY. Place your bets now and place em high. #PayYourMortgage

5. Doc Samson

I've been saying Oladipo would be the best player out of this draft, and possibly an All-Star caliber guy for years to come.

6. TanneRain

TanneRain Bane'd User

I go to Indiana, and I lived in the same dorm as him my freshman year. The dude's work ethic is unbelievable. He was either in class or at the gym. I'd get back at 3am from pledging at my fraternity, he'd get back at 3am from the gym. Awesome dude, gonna be a great player.

7. SolarTiger

SolarTiger Well-Known Member

Problem is he can't really dribble or shoot. I love his intensity as well, but I see him as a more offensively inclined Tony Allen. Which is a very good player, but not a future superstar.

Anyways, the GSW have signed Speights to a contract. Nice replacement for Landry.

8. L.A.

L.A. Well-Known Member

Kaman to the lakers, world peace amnesty

9. Nell2ThaIzzay

Nell2ThaIzzay Well-Known Member

I sure hope so.

I was hoping that the Magic would have taken McLemore, but I've heard a lot of good things about Oladipo as well, so I've got some high hopes for the kid.

10. Raiden

Raiden Wakanda Forever

Dunno why Lakers would amnesty Metta; he is one of the few players who would play defense, and he is only contracted for one more year anyway.

11. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

makes sense if they're trying to tank

12. JaD

JaD Thriller Night

I think at this point whatever nightmare comes about is whatever the media blows up any little thing to be. I think Dwight is somewhat at peace because he clearly didn't want LA and D'Antoni didn't necessarily make things better. He feels he made the best choice so at this point he can just put it all on the floor and whatever happens happens.

13. TheBat812

TheBat812 Well-Known Member

what exactly are the rules for amnesty in the NBA? And where's there official confirmation of LA using it on Metta?

14. runawayboulder

runawayboulder 2016 NFL Pick Em CHAMP

You can release a single player and their contract won't count towards the salary cap. It can only be used once.

There has been no official confirmation as of yet but it certainly sounds like it's happening.

15. TanneRain

TanneRain Bane'd User

He shot over 50% from three this year and had a FG% of 63 percent overall. A lot of dunks and layups, but he can shoot and only improves every year. How he comes into the league won't be how he leaves or when he peaks. He's also been lighting it up in the summer league so far, it is summer league, but still.

16. L.A.

L.A. Well-Known Member

Would love Artest with the clippers

17. Docker2.0

Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

You might get your wish..................just to piss off Laker fans.

18. SolarTiger

He shot very few threes though, that's why his percentage is so high. I don't think he has NBA range on his threes.

19. Anubis

Anubis Sup?

Not yet anyway.

It is something one can learn.

20. Doc Samson

As long as Orlando doesn't try to stick him at the point, he'll thrive. He's a smaller 2 like D-Wade, but he's explosive enough to get to the basket with relative ease. Combined with his work ethic, I doubt his game will remain stagnant offensively or otherwise...

21. SolarTiger

I'm a believer that having a handle is something you develop in your teens, not as a pro. Seen way too many athletic guards that people say can develop their dribbling skills because of their work ethic never really improve it much.

He can definitely develop a better three point shot, since that is mostly fixable with hard work and repetition.

22. Hound55

Hound55 Byfar The Most Evil Thing

So... No Kaman, Hickson or Speights at the Clips...

23. JeetKuneDo

JeetKuneDo Guitarist

Like I said, Lebron took less money to win. (2.5 million less is less money) Also as I mentioned, his prime motivation for leaving Cleveland was winning.

Are you claiming Lebron left Cleveland for a different reason?

Fans claim they want players to care more about winning than money (http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=26293117&postcount=794). Well...Lebron is motivated by winning more than money.
    So you do believe Lebron left Cleveland for monetary reasons instead of winning.

Now I've got to ask why you think he chose Miami over two NY teams, an LA team, and a Chicago team?

Secondly, there is no direct correlation between endorsements and where you play. Lebron was signed by Nike while he played in Cleveland. Howard actually LOST his McDonald's contract after leaving Orlando due to the image problem.
    I was actually asking you what you think the solution is...I made no judgement on how "right" it is for a player to talk with his friends about playing together on the same team.

Free agency exists....I was curious what you thought should be done about it.
    Like I said, Rice gets to slide even though he was in a better situation than Emmitt was. Fans can always find an excuse when they need it. (There was another great running back so that means Emmitt has to be demeaned? Really?) I remember when Emmitt held out two games the year after the Cowboys won their first SB...and they lost both of those games with all those "great players" (I personally think Troy Aikman is one of the most overrated QB's ever) Emmitt really was the engine of that team.

No one ever questions Rice at all even though a receiver could not possibly be in a better situation than he had. But fans actually started suggesting that Emmitt had "the greatest O-line of all time". (Fans must not have looked very close at who those guys were) So fan bias is huge on stuff like this.
    I do not see the problem. It's just sports...that's all. It's entertainment. Fans make it into more than it really is and use it to prop up "bragging rights" for their city. "Yeah! Suck it! My city is better than yours because players on 'my team' who are not actually from my city can knock a person to the ground, catch a ball, throw a ball through a metal hoop better than the players on 'your team
    who aren't actually from your city!"

Yeah...it's stupid and illogical. "Loyalty"....bah. The owners aren't loyal to the players or the fans, the players aren't loyal to the owners or the fans"....but the fans have to be loyal to the teams or they are "bad fans". What a load...:woot: Fans actually believe this stuff!
    I don't know if you've looked at the history of the NBA much...but...what "competitive balance"? Check out the Hall of Fame...mostly Lakers and Celtics. There really is almost no reason to be a fan of the NBA if you have a team in one of the "they don't matter" cities. You are there so the "important teams" can have someone to beat on their way to glory. I kinda like that a different city has a great team for a change.

Again...Lebron was taking crap from MJ fans before he left Cleveland and still does. (You really don't remember how he was mocked after he lost in the Finals to the much better Spurs?) It's about Lebron being a great player. Kobe got the same hate and he's never "messed with the integrity of the sport". The next great player will get the same treatment....MJ must be protected. It's that illogical "GOAT" stuff polluting the water of basketball.

24. Raiden

Raiden Wakanda Forever

After listening to ESPN radio on the way home, I can understand why Lakers would be contemplating amnesty Metta; in fact, there are 23 million reasons to do so, because not only will they have to pay him $7 mil for next season, but they will also have to pay an additional 23 mil due to luxury taxes, and we can all agree that Metta isn't a 30 mil player at this point of his career. There isn't alot of expectation for the Lakers in 2013-2014 season, and I don't think they must pay all these money just to appease Kobe. IMO I don't believe the team as currently constructed has what it takes to win in all next season.

25. Doc Samson

This I agree with. Any superstar wing player considered the "best in the game" will suffer from MJ comparisons and the need to criticize in order to elevate and preserve the Jordan legacy, as if it's really in question.

As I always say, there's a difference between being a better player and having a better career, and inside those categories are a multitude of sub-categories we can all use to twist and rank people depending on what you like or prefer in a player.

They don't have what it takes to win it all, but they could definitely be better with the team they already have. I highly doubt they'll be riddled with as many injuries as they were last year, and that's really what destroyed things even more than coaching and chemistry IMO.

I don't know if Odom would really come back, but they're supposedly trying to find out. Jordan Hill, if healthy, brings the same energy and effort Earl Clark provided. With no fourth star to appease it should be easier for Nash to slide back to his more natural comfort zone along with Pau & honestly I can't see D'Antoni doing much worse. If anything, this should be easier for him to manage. Should be....

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.