2013-2014 NBA Discussion Thread: The Dwightmare is Over!

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Mr. Dent, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc Samson

Doc Samson Superhero Psychiatrist

IMO, KD was never better than Carmelo offensively (or period really) as far as dynamic ability & skills, he just plays a smarter & more efficient game because he's a lot more passive and gets 8-10 calls a game on the perimeter (somehow) that keep his scoring average high.

But he's just a jumpshooter, a tremendous one, but that's about it. Dirk didn't win until he developed a post game and Durant won't either until he does the same. It really comes down to likeability, and because KD comes off as the humble antithesis to Lebron, he gets a lot of passes in the media. CP3 as well, for someone heralded as the best PG basically since he's been in the league, he's done remarkably less than most superstars of his perceived talent in the postseason, with no backlash. Yet. That's about to change however...

2. Anubis

Anubis Sup?

Less? CP3 has shown, on numerous occasions that he's the best PG in the league. Putting teams on his back and carrying them farther than they ever would have without him. His problem is that he never really had any help. Hell, he still doesn't have any help. :o

3. Docker2.0

Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

I've always said I thought Melo was the better player, especially on offense but people tend to believe the hype so I just stopped arguing about it. But you're right, Durant is a glorified jump shooter and when Westbrook and Harden were out, it exposed him moreso on how much his game is kinda limited.

4. Docker2.0

Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

Yeah in the regular season. People kill Melo for only making it to the second round twice but isn't that how many times Chris Paul has made it as well? Not sure off the top of my head but he hasn't made it there often.

5. Nell2ThaIzzay

Nell2ThaIzzay Well-Known Member

Could be worse.

Could be Tracy McGrady who needs to ring chase just to get out of the 1st round.

6. Docker2.0

Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

So did LeBron. :o

7. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

Uh Lebron got out of the first round routinely. >.>

Please just stop.

8. SolarTiger

SolarTiger Well-Known Member

Melo has a more versatile offensive game than KD, as he can play in the post very effectively. However, KD is much more efficient and more reliable from longer ranges. They both score about 27-30 ppg, but Melo for all his strengths struggles when it comes to finishing at the rim. He gets blocked or just doesn't stick those shots. KD can shoot from 3, but also finish at the rim with a ferocious dunk or a sweet little layup. KD also knows how to work the refs better and get 8-10 FTs a game easy.

9. Doc Samson

Tyson Chandler, David West, Carl Landry, Jarret Jack, Peja, Ariza, Okafor, Belinelli, he had something to work with, they won like 50 games one season and still lost in the first round. As the PG it's your job to maximize that talent.

And I've said before that I believe Rondo to be at least his peer as a pure PG. No he can't shoot as good but Rondo has averaged more assists the past three years, he's a better rebounder, he easily has better postseason play as he's up there with Lebron & Magic all-time for triple doubles in the playoffs & you can't do that if you can't manage to score somewhat consistently.

I think it's another situation of likeability, just like with KD vs Melo. Rondo has this reputation of being a hothead but I haven't seen him do half of the dirty stuff CP gets away with on the court, going all the way back to his groin shot in college.

Melo's not as athletic but I know sometimes when he's in a jam in the paint he'll purposely just put the ball up on the glass to quick hop the rebound and put it back. I think he does that at least 2-3 times a game. Overall though Melo can post(and has a myriad of moves down there), he can go midrange, he can go long range, he can go off the dribble and pull up or go off the dribble & drive and he's strong enough to corral all those offensive boards. IMO he has the second most creative & dynamic offensive skillset in the league, but he's the most powerful frame-wise at using it...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  10. Just_Human

Just_Human Well-Known Member

11. Darthphere

Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Are Dwight and the Rockets going to be criticized for years because they held a pep rally over a signing?

12. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

Probably not because he didn't promise not 6, not 7 rings.

13. JaD

JaD Thriller Night

What a bunch of bandwagon losers.

[/sarcasm]

14. runawayboulder

runawayboulder 2016 NFL Pick Em CHAMP

Did he come out wearing his uniform with a smoke machine and laser show? :o

15. JaD

JaD Thriller Night

No but I see a giant mouse. That's just as extravagant.

16. runawayboulder

Knicks sign Artest with the remaining 1.6M of their mid level exception.

Ugh

17. Docker2.0

Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

Which means Melo will be playing the four again, we will get killed on the boards and have a first round exit. You can't make this crap up. Why doesn't Melo just get his fat arse in shape and play the three and start either Bargnani or Amare? Same thing as last year. We have like 8 forwards on the team but we started 3 guards and Woodson wouldn't bend so probably the best shooting forward second to Melo left for a inner division rival.

18. Anubis

Anubis Sup?

Why wouldn't Amare start? The wind blew and he broke his arm or something?

19. runawayboulder

The matchups favor the Knicks when Melo plays the 4. He and Amare have no chemistry when they're on the floor together. The Knicks are going to have to find a work around until Stat's massive contract is over in 2 years.

20. Anubis

Anubis Sup?

I don't know, I'd try to see if there's any suck...I mean, interest in taking that big ass contract. Certainly next year when it moves into Expiring territory.

21. SolarTiger

SolarTiger Well-Known Member

Amare is on a minutes restriction I read. 20 mpg and no b2b games.

22. Docker2.0

Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

I hear people say that all the time but it does not. The Knicks are one of the worse rebounding teams in the league and you rarely see Melo guard who ever is playing the four, he ends up guarding their 3 no matter what. He's almost unstoppable offensively regardless what position he plays but it makes sense for him to play the three, especially since they have so many big guys and they are horrible on the boards. The year that Melo had, it could have actually been better had he played the three.

23. Mister J

Mister J Ack Acka Dak Dak Daka Ack

Miami has used the Amnesty provision on Mike Miller.

[​IMG]

24. Docker2.0

Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

That was a waste of an amnesty. He has actually been one of their best players in the Finals when Spo has the common sense to play him. C'mon Knicks! Grab him, but eh. He's probably going to retire now.

25. Doc Samson

Strange. Granted, he doesn't give much during the regular season, but he was absolutely crucial to Miami getting out of that series with Indy. He also played a huge role in turning the Finals this year (and went crazy in the clincher last year), he's almost as timely as Battier with big shots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.