2016/2017 NFL thread: The Final Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryan had a great year but playing for Atlanta puts you under the radar. When your contemporaries (Flacco and Wilson) are winning SB and he was 1 and 4 in the Playoffs despite being in the league since 2008 and you really don't hear him being criticized. Unless he's getting blasted in the Atlanta area... ? :huh:

Do people still think Flacco is a better qb than Ryan? I mean yea he's got a ring... but so has Mark ****ing Brunell lol.

Do people still think Flacco is a better qb than Ryan? I mean yea he's got a ring... but so has Mark ****ing Brunell lol.

Ryan has the better numbers but he's been in almost double the amount of Post Season games than Ryan. But the point is that when you've been in the League for 9 years, there are expectations which get magnified when the other QB in your class makes it to a SB. Then when someone younger does even more so.

Ryan has the better numbers but he's been in almost double the amount of Post Season games than Ryan. But the point is that when you've been in the League for 9 years, there are expectations which get magnified when the other QB in your class makes it to a SB. Then when someone younger does even more so.

Yea I get that. But to me Ryan has always been the better qb. By quite a margin really. His previous playoff losses came against eventual SB finalists or winners. Plus in those early years ATLs defense and offensive lines were truly horrendous.

Flacco had the benefit of playing on a far superior team. A team with one of the best D's of the 21st century and a solid O line. If he was in those ATL teams he wouldn't have a ring either. Guaranteed. Same could be said for Wilson and possibly even Eli Manning actually.

Raven fan here, and I believe we have already seen ''peak'' Flacco, he's struggled over the last 2 seasons mostly due to the team shifting away from the running game.He needs to be quicker with his progression reads and has gone back to throwing off his back foot (what he needs is to have a qb coach again which he has not had in 2 seasons)

Yea I get that. But to me Ryan has always been the better qb. By quite a margin really. His previous playoff losses came against eventual SB finalists or winners. Plus in those early years ATLs defense and offensive lines were truly horrendous.

Flacco had the benefit of playing on a far superior team. A team with one of the best D's of the 21st century and a solid O line. If he was in those ATL teams he wouldn't have a ring either. Guaranteed. Same could be said for Wilson and possibly even Eli Manning actually.
I think after Flacco won, they had somewhat similar numbers if I recall but I think now Ryan has just surged past him.

I don't disagree that Ryan is the better QB but it's like Romo, after a while just being great is not enough when viewed from a post season spectrum.

And coming from a Giants fan, Eli will probably finish in the Top 6 all time completions, yards and TDs. His post season numbers are up there. His running game and defense were ranked low in the 2011 season. He wasn't along for the ride.

I think after Flacco won, they had somewhat similar numbers if I recall but I think now Ryan has just surged past him.

I don't disagree that Ryan is the better QB but it's like Romo, after a while just being great is not enough when viewed from a post season spectrum.

And coming from a Giants fan, Eli will probably finish in the Top 6 all time completions, yards and TDs. His post season numbers are up there.

Yea the Romo comparison is apt.

Oh and don't get me wrong, Eli has been great. In those SB winning years he seemed to find another gear in the Playoffs. I'm not saying Ryan is better than him. I just don't think Eli has a ring if he was on that Falcons team.

So Josh McDaniels has withdrawn from consideration from the 49ers job. Shanahan is now the front runner according to sources. McDaniels had this to say during a conference call with reporters this morning:

Josh McDaniels said:
"They did a great job with their presentation and, again, humbled to be included in that process and at this time it's just best for my family and myself to remain here in New England and focus on this year's playoffs and finish out the year however it turns out."

Translation: I want no part of that dumpster fire.

I'd say there is a decent chance Shanahan takes it. Kyle is smart enough to realize what a mess San Fran is, but he is also a Shanahan and they tend to be arrogant (evidenced by their time in DC). He may think that he is able to succeed where Jim Harbaugh and Chip Kelly failed and work with Jed York on York's terms, which won't go away until York hits rock bottom (after all, winning won't give a coach any leeway, York drove out a coach two years removed from the Super Bowl and one year removed from the NFC championship over an 8-8 season). You'd think Tomsula and 2 straight years of ****** attendance is rock bottom, which would cause him to give up control to get McDaniels, but apparently not. But I digress...Shanahan may be cocky enough to think he is the guru York whisperer who can also win games. He'd be wrong. Further, as a kid who has basically rode daddy's coat tails to prominence (not that he is a bad OC, he's not), he should be mindful that daddy's name only gets him 1 HC job. After that, it is all about his record. San Fran will destroy that. Still, I think he may take it. And if not...Tom Cable is returning to the select group that is head coaches. Now THAT is rock bottom. Well, it will be when Jed York sees his head coach get arrested for domestic violence and has to realize that Cable is the only coach who was willing to work with him.

In other news, I read this statistic this morning.

The Steelers committed 1,068 yards in penalties during the regular season, the sixth-highest total in the NFL. Cornerbacks Artie Burns and Ross Cockrell combined for 29 penalties.

The Steelers were flagged for 11 unnecessary roughness penalties, seven facemask penalties and three roughing-the-passer fouls.

Remember when Bill Cowher was around and this team was the class of the NFL? Then came Mike Tomlin.

Also, excerpt from Mike Tomlin's press conference.

Reporter: Thoughts on playing New England?

Tomlin: None.

Yes, Mike. We've all suspected for some time that that head of yours is pretty empty, thank you for finally confirming it.

UPDATED draft order

1. Cleveland 1-15
2. San Francisco 2-14
3 .Chicago 3-13
4. Jacksonville 3-13
5. Tennessee (from Los Angeles) 4-12
6. New York Jets 5-11
7. San Diego 5-11
8. Carolina 6-10
9. Cincinnati 6-9-1
10. Buffalo 7-9
11. New Orleans 7-9
12. Cleveland (from Philadelphia) 7-9
13. Arizona 7-8-1
t14. Indianapolis 8-8
t14. Philadelphia (from Minnesota) 8-8
16. Baltimore 8-8
17. Washington 8-7-1
18. Tennessee 9-7
19. Tampa Bay 9-7
20. Denver 9-7
21. Detroit 9-7
22. Dolphins 10-6
23. Giants 11-5
24. Raiders 12-4
25. Houston Texans
26. Seattle Seahawks
27. Kansas City Chiefs
28. Dallas Cowboys

In other news, I read this statistic this morning.

The Steelers committed 1,068 yards in penalties during the regular season, the sixth-highest total in the NFL. Cornerbacks Artie Burns and Ross Cockrell combined for 29 penalties.

The Steelers were flagged for 11 unnecessary roughness penalties, seven facemask penalties and three roughing-the-passer fouls.

Remember when Bill Cowher was around and this team was the class of the NFL? Then came Mike Tomlin.

And this is one of the reasons why I get so irritated when Steeler fans go on and on about the Bengals being a dirty team. Yes we have Burfict, but he cleaned up his act this year thankfully. If he continues to mature that'd be fantastic for him and us. Now if only they'd let go of Pacman we'd be set. :)

And while I do dislike the Steelers these days, I do remember when they were a classier organization under Cowher (early into my football fandom). I even rooted for them a time or two. I wish they'd get back to that.

Cowher ran a tight ship.

Prospect of the Patriots/Steelers should have me excited, but somehow it bores me. Brady v Ben, Belicheck v Tomlin, blah blah we've seen it all before.

The Falcons/Packers, OTOH, has excitement written all over it. Two great QBs, two defences who can't stop anybody. I think we'll see another air assault like we did with the Cowboys/Packers.

Since Tomlin has been coach, the Steelers have faced the Patriots 7 times. The Steelers are 2-5. Tomlin and Belichick never faced each other in the Playoffs.

And this is one of the reasons why I get so irritated when Steeler fans go on and on about the Bengals being a dirty team. Yes we have Burfict, but he cleaned up his act this year thankfully. If he continues to mature that'd be fantastic for him and us. Now if only they'd let go of Pacman we'd be set. :)

And while I do dislike the Steelers these days, I do remember when they were a classier organization under Cowher (early into my football fandom). I even rooted for them a time or two. I wish they'd get back to that.

Me too, man. Me too. Hell, I have had difficulty rooting for them simply because their QB is a rapist. I am, even at best, apathetic to whether they win or lose. Sometimes, like last night, I even found myself rooting against them. Partly because I think KC's defense matches up better to New England, making for a better game. But mostly because I just can't bring myself to hope for something that means more glory for a rapist. MAybe its time I find a new team. I should jump on Jacksonville, NYJ, or Buffalo or something. If I start when a team is low, then no one can accuse me of being a bandwagoner. :funny:

But seriously, it breaks my heart that I have been unable to, in good faith, buy my daughter a Steelers jersey like my dad did for me or a Terrible Towel. Just because...I mean, how can I overlook the fact that the team has implicitly condoned a man who has done the worst thing someone can do to a member of her gender?

Cowher ran a tight ship.

It wasn't just COwher then either. It was the whole organizational culture. Dan Rooney started taking a step back after Cowher won his Super Bowl. It was all downhill from there. Dan Rooney was pure class who led by example and let a culture of discipline and integrity come from top down. Art II is your typical, sleazy, money grubbing NFL owner. Dan would've never stood for players repeatedly failing drug tests, acting like thugs on the field, getting arrested, etc, no matter how talented they were. Art II...he just asks himself these questions: "Are butts in the seats? Are jerseys selling? Are our TV contracts lucrative?" If the answer to all three is yes, he has no problem.

Our ****ing coach tried to trip a player on a nationally televised game for goodness sake. Art I and Dan would've been humiliated (I'm sure Dan was but he no longer has any power in the locker room). Art II? He defends the coach.

Its sad to see a once classy organization become this.

Also, excerpt from Mike Tomlin's press conference.

Reporter: Thoughts on playing New England?

Tomlin: None.

Yes, Mike. We've all suspected for some time that that head of yours is pretty empty, thank you for finally confirming it.

You forgot to make a deer in the headlights comment.

You forgot to make a deer in the headlights comment.

:funny: That would be an insult to the intelligence of a deer that is just staring at headlights, waiting to die, too stupid to move. I can't bring myself to put that deer on Mike Tomlin's level. The deer is much smarter.

kZ5AigG.gif

The Falcons, Braves and Hawks aren't even the most popular team in their state.

Says the person who lives in New Jersey.

The Braves are far and away the most popular team in our state, followed by the Falcons/Bulldogs. Stop pulling stuff out of your ass, Erz, or i'll kick it right back up there and you'll enjoy it.

As for Matt Ryan, people seem to forget he came into a pretty ****** situation with our team and fanbase being torn apart by Michael Vick's actions... No excuse for 2012 (i believe), Tony G's last year, though. We should have been in or won the superbowl tha year.

Matt, you honestly should adopt a new team. I don't even see Baltimore fans rip Pittsburgh apart like you do.

:o

I am holding out to see what happens in the post-Rapistberger era.

They'll acquire Matt Moore in the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"