1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

Voting is now over! Stay tuned for the awards ceremony!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

2021 Tokyo Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports' started by MarvelFan, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

Iceman likes this.
  2. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

Impressive. The BBC studio is nearly all CGI.

Iceman likes this.
  3. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Damn. GB miss out on the 4x100m relay gold by 1 100th of a second! Good final leg by Italy.

4. MarvelFan ◢⁴⁶

Congratulations to US Men's Basketball for catching the Gold once again.
    [​IMG]

It was an ugly play by the US especially in the 4th Q, but a win is a win and in the end, they got Gold now. What a performance by KD, Jrue Holiday, and Jayson Tatum. Congrats!

And as a fan of NBA, I would like to thank these players to came to Japan in this such circumstances. I can assure that if this Olympics held in normal times without Corona, me and also many NBA Japan fans here would definitely watch and support Team USA live at Saitama Super Arena.

Eventhough without audiences but i hope this Olympic's will bring good experiences, memories, and good times for KD and team USA.

Once again, congrats on the gold.

(Btw, it is a little weird that Gold Medal Match played first at 9.30am here before the bronze match between Australia vs Slovenia which will play at 8 pm here...I just guess that it is scheduled such for US audiences in America so they can watch it on the prime night time instead of morning if gold medal match taking place in the afternoon here...haha)

#130 MarvelFan, Aug 7, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    Iceman and Babillygunn like this.
  5. MarvelFan ◢⁴⁶

As for the women's team basketball...tomorrow morning....its Japan vs USA for Gold!

I was surprised by our national team that they mnaged to get this far into the gold medal match.

US already beat us in group match..so I am trying to be realistic. of course I will support for our Akatsuki Five but I won't mind at all if US indeed win (as they will be heavily favored). ----> I am not familiar much with WNBA but thanks to this Olympics, I am become a fan of Breanna Stewart and AJ Wilson.

#131 MarvelFan, Aug 7, 2021
  6. MarvelFan ◢⁴⁶

And....it is only 1.5 days left in Tokyo Olympics.

I think I am satisfied with Japan taking in the 3rd place as it is unlikely Japan will get US and China's total medals (but I think it is now guaranteed that we will sit in the Top 3)
    [​IMG]

But for no.1 spot, I don't want China to be Olympic Champions, I prefer USA to be no.1.
    So, the rest of the days, I will root for Team USA taking the no.1 spot from China.

7. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I didn’t catch any of the basketball unfortunately. Were the US team allowed to use all the NBA pros like the dream team or have the rules changed since?

8. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I’m impressed with TeamGB’s position again. Russia could easily overtake us (think they have legit gold prospects for the final day) and have more silvers. We have been good since London 2012. I remember earlier when countries like Australia used to wipe the floor with us.

9. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

It could be like ROC, paper, scissors.

10. Dr. Evil Registered

Still NBA players, like the Women's team still uses WNBA players.

Also, a hell of a run for Allyson Felix. 11 medals, making her the all time greatest track star in US history. She started in 2004, and many of her teammates from 2004 and 2008 have long retired, with one of them Sanya Richards now doing track and field commentary.

Likely the last Olympics for Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi of USA Women. Hopefully they get replaced in 2023 by the Ogwumike sisters.

#136 Dr. Evil, Aug 7, 2021
    Iceman and MarvelFan like this.
  11. MarvelFan ◢⁴⁶

Just watched Women's Basketball Gold Medal match.

US won easily as expected but I was really impressed by how our Japan Akatsuki Five team is giving their all they had (even at garbage time when they down 20, Japan still gave US a full court pressure defense!) but US team has the size advantages and experiences that proved to be the key.

Eventhough they lost...at the end...there aren't sad or tears from our national team faces.
    ..it is pure joy and smile with high sense of achievement by getting this far into this gold medal match against the mighty USA team.
    Congrats for getting Silver for our Japan basketball team. So proud of them!
    [​IMG]

Congrats for US also for getting the gold...completing the swept in the basketball gold for both Men and Women. Just pure dominance in basketball by US.

childeroland likes this.
  12. MarvelFan ◢⁴⁶

Speaking of basketball team...there is one player who became trending topic after the Gold Medal match.

The tiny Machida Rui (who is just 162cm) who played fearless and not scared to go one on one defending and try to block the huge US center, Brittney Griner (who is 203) multiple times in the game.[​IMG]
    There are already suggestion for her to be contracted to play in WNBA by a lot of American media on Twitter

#138 MarvelFan, Aug 8, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  13. MarvelFan ◢⁴⁶

As far as I know...the US basketball team use NBA players since 1992.
    But I think this Olympics is the most interesting one in basketball since there are many nations which have a lot NBA players (even Japan has 2 in Rui Hachimura and Yuta Watanabe).

France and Australia even have 7 NBA plyers combined. And Slovenia has Luka Doncic.

Iceman likes this.
  14. MarvelFan ◢⁴⁶

Haha...I don't even realized that ROC is actually Russia until the later days.
    But yeah...good catching up by GBR after the slow start.
    Australia is surprisingly good. They stole some golds from US in swimming.

Iceman likes this.
  15. MarvelFan ◢⁴⁶

The latest update of medal counts in the final day.

[​IMG]

Congratulations on USA finally taking the no.1 spot from China. (Though there still left a few Gold medal match until afternoon just before the closing ceremony)

And hope GBR will holds up too in no.4 @Iceman
    Hehe.

Iceman likes this.
  16. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

#142 The Caped Knight, Aug 8, 2021
    MarvelFan and Iceman like this.
  17. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Thanks. Yeah Felix has amazing longevity competing between 2004 to 2021. Being flexible enough to compete in both relays also helped. I love it when athletes are good enough at both 100m and 400m to compete in both relays.

18. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Nice. I will have to look up some of her plays.

MarvelFan likes this.
  19. MarvelFan ◢⁴⁶

Thats it!
    With the conclusion of Water Polo finals....that concludes all games in Tokyo 2020.

The Final result in Medal counts:
    [​IMG]

The Caped Knight likes this.
  20. MarvelFan ◢⁴⁶

Congrats to USA for being the Olympic Champions again. I am honestly not sure they are be able to catch up to China as just 3-4 days ago, China still leads in Gold by 8-10 golds differences but they did it. Congrats!

And I am especially proud of how team Nippon was fighting all the games. Taking 27 Golds (The most in our country's history) and being Top 3 in the world is already a high achievement and I could not ask for more. #proud
    Hope we can maintain this consistency going into Paris 2024.

Though I havent got time to watch all events but I managed to watch most of selected favorite sports like basketball, baseball, swimming, badminton, volleyball, football, fencing, and diving. It was quite good experience overall watching this event eventhough from TV at home.

Overall...this is quite a satisfyng result for our nation eventhough more serious matters after the Olympics still looming. (Considering most of our prefectures still have the state of emergency until the end of August).
    But .... Thank you for all athletes around the world to came to Japan in this such circumstances!

#146 MarvelFan, Aug 8, 2021
  21. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

very proud of Team USA!!!

MarvelFan likes this.
  22. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

Might be the final day but there are still a few sports I want to watch on catch up because it's impossible to watch them all with the time difference.

Does anyone know if BBC have the exclusive broadcasting rights for the 2024 Olympics in the UK? Because it was harder to watch this time when Discovery mostly had them.

23. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Shame it’s ending so soon as I didn’t have much chance to watch most of the early days. At least all the footage is online so I will gradually catch up. So many events I would like to see footage of.

24. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yeah I’m impressed. I hope we continue to stay at this level. I don’t expect to come close to China or the US ever and would usually expect Russia to beat us too. But being up there easily ahead of the likes of France and Germany is good as those are the countries I would expect us to be competing with at a similar level.

Australia are a good swimming nation. They do very well given their population size.

MarvelFan likes this.