2023 Smartest Poster

ComicChick

I Work Too Much
Staff member
Reaction score
mQtsXLT.jpeg

Smartest Poster 2023

Book smarts. Street smarts. There are all kinds of smarts. And some of our members have it in spades. Please nominate hype members who don't mind sharing their knowledge for the good of us all.

I’m not sure who to nominate and so I’ll think on that. But I call it now: I challenge the winner to a three-part gauntlet of spelling bee, math bowl, and swimsuit competition.

Hype Award Nominations close tonight at midnight EST. Last chance to get your nominations in!

I’m not sure who to nominate and so I’ll think on that. But I call it now: I challenge the winner to a (two) three-part gauntlet of spelling bee, math bowl, and swimsuit competition.

I'm game.....

I was the Buffalo Bills of grade school spelling bees. Always runner-up.

One year I got tripped up on “Boundary” (I blame my dad. He had a southern accent so I had always heard it pronounced Boundry)
The other year it was “colonel.” And really, what 4th grader can sound that one out?

When I was in the 5th grade, my girlfriend, Ana Maria del Rio was the smartest kid at our school. I suspect she let me win that year. TBH, the English language is a mess.

Cite, site, sight????
Threw, through???
How do you pronounce "lead" and "read"??? Reed, led......:wall:

I feel bad for people who have to learn English as a second language. When I learned Spanish later on, it became clear just how difficult English is.

I learned to read at a very early age (before 5.....my older sister taught me) and, early on, I was always mispronouncing words because I would speak them phonetically (ex When I read Thor comic books, puny mortal rhymed with funny mortal LOL). My family always got a big kick out of that, but I had a lot of encouragement. With English, you just have to learn the crazy. It doesn't have to make sense.

AND, BTW, swimsuit competitions need a separate thread. :funny:

I was the Buffalo Bills of grade school spelling bees. Always runner-up.

One year I got tripped up on “Boundary” (I blame my dad. He had a southern accent so I had always heard it pronounced Boundry)
The other year it was “colonel.” And really, what 4th grader can sound that one out?
BTW, "Colonel" is pronounced Call - on - el :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"