20th Century Fox Suing Over Warner Bros. Watchmen

there's an update on slashfilm.com

Update: Variety says that Fox “could wind up as a profit participant in the film, and could cost Warners millions considering the film’s box office prospects. However, Fox’s legal team says it isn’t looking for monetary compensation and instead wants to prevent the big-budget film from being released altogether.”

That's BS
That's probably just their "Official" stance to try and squeeze more money out of WB. They're going to act like they won't settle until they get a number (think BIG) that they're happy with.

It seems like Devin (again from chud) says that it's all talk and bluff.

He stated that most likely, the movie itself won't be affect - not a single frame, nor the release date.

God i hope fox doesnt cause the film from not happening. I really want to see it. Hopefully all they want is money and wb can give them a few million dollars to get them off their backs.

i can't see them doing anything like that. Money is one thing, but to prevent the release? It's all bluff.

Though I don't agree with Devin all the time, he has a damn funny piece on the lawsuit. When he's on a roll, nothing can stop him.

"Maybe Fox should sue for co-credit so they can get their name on a good movie in theaters for the first time since 2006 (look it up - Big Fox hasn't had a movie worth watching in almost three years)."

http://chud.com/articles/articles/16005/1/WHO-SUES-THE-WATCHMEN/Page1.html

Yeah its hard to do a Fox boycott when I never watch any of their crap. Though Bruno is from Fox, I could just wait until its online and download, *******s.

I don't buy that Fox really wants to prevent its release.

That just seems excessively petty. If Fox prevented the release of a movie that already had tens of millions of dollars invested in it, I imagine WB would be rip****; and considering how these days a lot of movie studios are collaborating on big projects, Fox would be stupid to piss off a potential partner. It's just bad business.

i can't see them doing anything like that. Money is one thing, but to prevent the release? It's all bluff.

agreed. its just Fox revving its engines so loud to overcompensate for something that they dont have a lot of.

They're probably just trying to get money since Clone Wars bombed.

The people at FOX are hacks.....If they still had the rights to Watchmen they would of f'd that up so bad. I bet Tim Story would of directed it to :whatever:

Anyways Im glad WB got the rights......

FOX will never have a good superhero movie unless they stop thinking about the money........and about sending a message. X1 and X2 are the only good films the rest is garbage.......like there more recent spoof films

Alright, it's true that Fox DID have right to the films but I think WB should question their motives for suing now. It's not like they want creative rights (which would be even worse, but still), they just want a nickle from WB. Fox is so pathetic. :down

A settlement *will* be reached. No one dumps 120 million dollars into a project to see it scrubbed. Fox will probably get some form of compensation for the distribution, but that's about it.

I'd also like to add... thank f***ing Christ this movie wasn't made by Fox, or come next March you'd be seeing all 95 minutes of Watchmen.

Great timing on Fox's part. How long have they known this was happening.
I guess after the trailer and the general buzz about this film they can finally see the potential - a#sholes

Great timing on Fox's part. How long have they known this was happening.
I guess after the trailer and the general buzz about this film they can finally see the potential - a#sholes

Agreed. Fox has been waiting for the movie to be in the can so they can serve up the papers. They are parasities, none of this surprises me though. Fox has been one of the worst studios for a while now.

Wow, Fox has given me yet another reason to hate them! And I was already spoilt for choice.

Fox can talk all they want about having the rights for 20 years, but just consider that. They sat on "Watchmen"... for 20 years. They had no intention of making this film. I'm sure the only possible benefit they saw in keeping the project, was that they knew it was a potentially great property that a studio that actually has balls would eventually make into a huge movie. And once said studio with balls made the movie, THEN Fox could exercise their claim to the movie to make a nice tidy profit. Someone else takes the risk, Fox gets the reward.

To put it simply, Fox are a bunch of greedy, soulless corporate scumbags.

FOX is not doing fans any favors especially with Wolverine coming out. I say we make sure that bombs

FOX is not doing fans any favors especially with Wolverine coming out. I say we make sure that bombs

If Fox screw up "Watchmen", Warner Bros should bump "Harry Potter" further back...to be released on the same day as "Wolverine". :word:

You know, it just occured to me. Fox might be making the case for wanting to prevent the release as a means of speeding up the lawsuit. As I said above I doubt Fox REALLY wants to prevent the release, but by making that claim it forces the courts to come to a quick decision and settling things without years of drawn out litigation. If that's the case it may be a brilliant bit of legal loophole-finding....unless the judge catches on and gets annoyed.

As scummy as it is, from a business standpoint, you can hardly blame 'em.

From comics 2 film: Fox would rather kill 'Watchmen' than settle?

Fox issued a statement that reads:

Warner Bros.’ production and anticipated release of ‘The Watchmen’ motion picture violates 20th Century Fox’s long-standing motion picture rights in ‘The Watchmen’ [sic] property.

We will be asking the court to enforce Fox’s copyright interests in ‘The Watchmen’ [sic] and enjoin the release of the Warner Bros. film and any related ‘Watchmen’ media that violate our copyright interests in that property.

To read the whole article: http://www.comics2film.com/index.php?a=story&b=35192

Fox needs to stop crying about this and just make a better movie that can rival it, instead of complaining about copyrights they haven't touched or looked at in over a decade.

If Fox really does try to prevent this movie from happening - I say lets organize a violent, geek powered mob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"