Days of Future Past 2nd Viewing and Beyond...How do you think the film holds up in subsequent viewings?

Dr. Remy Lebeau

The doctor is in chere!
Reaction score
For the first time in probably 10 years I went to see a film for the second time opening weekend. The last time I saw a film twice in the theater was Avengers, and that second viewing occurred weeks after the first. Going into the second viewing of DOFP I kept thinking that I was potentially making a mistake. I thought I might be sucking the joy out of the first experience by going so quickly afterward.

Walking out of the second viewing I felt as good as I felt the first time around. It didn't feel like a second viewing. It didn't feel like I was overplaying the experience. It felt exactly as it should have, like I had seen a cinematic work of art again. I was as engaged and entertained, and loved every minute of it.

I'm contemplating going to see it again tonight.

This is a sign of a great film which is why I'm convinced that it will have strong box office legs.

For me it was better on the second viewing. I was able to study it more. Not that it was overly convoluted but I mean to look at the Easter eggs, little details, etc.

I'm contemplating a third viewing tonight!

It was just as good, if not better in some ways, with so many things to pick up on and enjoy, the ending was even better the second time which I didnt expect, so many third acts in these sorts of films are a letdown but this one has just so much you could want from an X-men film and just films in general, it was unique with its duplicate timelines playing out at the same time cutting back and forth with Magneto's speech at the end.

And damn I still cant pick out anything in the room Logan wakes up in, in the 70's which has got several eater eggs in apparently, believe me I've tried.

To be honest I'd watch it a third time just for the teaser after the credits, its worth the price of a ticket alone.:woot:

Saw it on Friday and just had to go see it again on Saturday. I definitely appreciated the opening in the future more so as it allowed me to digest everything. And of course Hugh's ash shot was even more glorious.

Even though I LOVE X2 and First Class, I think DOFP definitely has more rewatchability and replay factor because of the fact there is so much going on. Sure, when I first watched it there was a lot of exposition at the start of the film in the future, but the second time viewing it definitely sinks in a little more and you can enjoy everything else.

Watched it for the second time today and yeah it's still great. Noticed the jokes and the funny one liners this time round too.

I actually saw it three times. And enjoyed it significantly more each time. Funny thing, on my third go, who sits a couple rows down From me at the arclight Hollywood? Topher grace, he stayed until after the credits and seemed giddy after the film . He's just as much as a geek as Eric Foreman.

3 times. Gets better.

I've been away since I saw it the first time, but I feel like I absolutely need to see this again within the next few days. Been running circles in my head with all the awesome, need to answer some questions and focus on the details more. First time I was swept away in the moment :)

After walking out of the theater, I knew I wanted to see this many, many times. If my town had a movie theater, I would've already seen it 2-3 times. But as it is, I'm waiting for the blu-ray for my repeat viewings.

And it will hold up. It's not like after X3, when I wanted to see it again if "it'll be good". Not about denial this time.

I've watched 3 times, and definitely will watch again, it gets better, and I want the Blu-Ray, I NEED a commentary track, and many many BTS videos, this movie is just so good, I love it, I love X Men Days of Future Past, this is X3 for me, dreams do come true...wow this is really starting to go off topic.

Seems like "By Your Command" likes this movie!

4 times...still damn excellent. Can't nitpick a thing. I just love this film. It's a celebration of the franchise, that tells a very dramatic, character driven story that culminates in a new beginning on two fronts.

Talk about pulling off a miracle.

This film shouldn't work, especially after multiple viewings. But, by golly, it kills every time.

The second time seemed better but most Marvel character films do because I watch it without my mind racing a mile a minute.

My mind was racing so fast the first time that the entire ending flipped for me watching it again.

So...

The first time I saw it I assumed that 73 Logan in the water would retain his memories like future Logan does. This would effect how the timeline plays out but watching it a second time that's not right. Xavier saying "welcome back" means only he had any knowledge of the other timeline (and other films) because he saw it in Logan's mind. At least that's what I got out of it. Maybe it'll change again after a third viewing? I still don't know why it was Mystique that fished Logan out of the drink.

Sometimes it's really good to watch something this good more than once.

The second time seemed better but most Marvel character films do because I watch it without my mind racing a mile a minute.

My mind was racing so fast the first time that the entire ending flipped for me watching it again.

So...

The first time I saw it I assumed that 73 Logan in the water would retain his memories like future Logan does. This would effect how the timeline plays out but watching it a second time that's not right. Xavier saying "welcome back" means only he had any knowledge of the other timeline (and other films) because he saw it in Logan's mind. At least that's what I got out of it. Maybe it'll change again after a third viewing? I still don't know why it was Mystique that fished Logan out of the drink.

Sometimes it's really good to watch something this good more than once.

Well, you saw that when the younger Logan briefly resurfaced in Paris, he had no idea what the hell was going on. So once the older Logan returned to his own timeline, the younger one would wake up still not knowing what had happened.

All he knows is that he went to bed with his boss' daughter, ended up briefly in Paris for some reason, then woke up again on a boat in DC, with no idea how he got there.

When Xavier said, "welcome back", he was saying it to the Logan he'd met in 1973. They'd finally caught up. The one he met in between then didn't remember being with them before.

For me, it was better the 1st time because I was alone, I didn't have to talk to anyone.

But I'm watching for the 3rd time today, so I'll see.

Movie for me was much better the second viewing.

I saw it again today for the third time... and it's still great. I'm done watching in the theater though. I'm ready to have it home so I can watch proper marathons (skipping origins of course since it's pretty much completely irrelevant at this point).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"