30 Rock

Gonking

Sidekick
Reaction score
Well, "30 Rock" premiers tomorrow so, what do you expect from this show?

At least the promos seems pretty funny...

30 Rock is a situation comedy that will debut on October 11, 2006. It will air Wednesdays at 8:00 PM on NBC in the United States. In Canada, it will debut on October 14 and air Saturday nights at 9:30 PM on CTV (all times ET)

The show is created by former Saturday Night Live performer and head writer Tina Fey, who will also star in the show. Fey will portray Liz Lemon, the head writer of a fictional comedy-variety show.
Other cast members include Alec Baldwin as Jack Donaghy, a network executive and Lemon's foil; Jane Krakowski as the star of the fictional The Girlie Show; and SNL alumnus Tracy Morgan as Tracy Jordan, an unpredictable comedian brought onto the show by Baldwin's character.

There have been rumours that the character is based on Martin Lawrence, but Morgan denied this on an appearance on Late Night with Conan O'Brien, stating that it was based on a relative. Chicago improv veterans Scott Adsit and [[Jack McBrayer], comic Judah Friedlander and theater veteran Keith Powell round out the cast.

An August 16, 2006, article in USA Today reported: "Although the pilot featured SNL's Rachel Dratch as the star of the show, Fey says that will change before the season starts." Multiple websites have reported that Dratch will remain with 30 Rock playing various guest roles, including a cat wrangler. Former Ally McBeal co-star Jane Krakowski has been cast in the role Dratch vacated.

According to a press release issued by NBC days after the series' pickup was announced, full sketches from The Girlie Show would be made available in their entirety on NBC's broadband web site, DotComedy.com. This aspect of the series has since been abandoned.
The show's title comes from the nickname of 30 Rockefeller Center, also known as the GE Building. It is used as the headquarters of NBC's New York City studios, including Studio 8H, home to Saturday Night Live.
30 Rock is also one of two shows on the NBC lineup that revolves around the off-camera happenings on a sketch comedy series, the other being Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

30 Rock will be the first single-camera program produced by Broadway Video. It is filmed at Silvercup Studios in Long Island City, Queens, New York.

i didnt even see this thread:( this show looksfunny as hell. definitely gonna see it.

As I said in the other thread, I watched some clips on YouTube. Looks good.

Tina Fey's Piece of the 'Rock'
Former 'SNL' scribe goes backstage at NBC
By Rick Porter
October 11, 2006

Let's just get this out of the way: Tina Fey has seen "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip."

"I watched the first one," Fey says of Aaron Sorkin's backstage-at-a-sketch-comedy-show show. "I think it looks very fancy, and Bradley Whitford is cute."

"Studio 60" is of interest to Fey, a former head writer and performer on "Saturday Night Live," because she has her own backstage-at-a-sketch-comedy-show show on NBC as well. It's called "30 Rock," and it premieres at 8 p.m. ET Wednesday.

That NBC has two series with similar subjects has been a popular discussion topic among professional TV watchers. Fey understands why, but she's confident viewers will get the difference between her show, a straight-out comedy, and Sorkin's, a drama laced with humor.

Fairly confident, anyway. "I think in tone they're going to be very different -- but yes, old people will be confused," she jokes. "Look for Alec Baldwin. If you can find Alec Baldwin, you know you have us."

Baldwin stars in "30 Rock" as new NBC executive Jack Donaghy, whose motto is "Sometimes you have to change things that are perfectly good just to make them your own." That's not good news for Liz Lemon (Fey), the creator and head writer of a sketch-comedy series called "The Girlie Show."

In his first week on the job, Jack pressures Liz into taking a meeting with mentally unstable movie star Tracy Jordan (Fey's fellow "SNL" alum Tracy Morgan), who then proceeds to storm the live broadcast and save a sketch that's circling the drain. Tracy's presence makes "The Girlie Show's" neurotic star, Jenna Maroney (Jane Krakowski), even more agitated.

"I think Tracy's character is one of the freshest we've seen written on TV, and I love his character so much," Krakowski says. "We've done so many fun scenes together. We're such opposites, our characters, that the hilarity that can ensue when we're together is great fun."

Krakowski wasn't in "30 Rock's" original pilot, which featured another ex-"SNL" player, Rachel Dratch, as Jenna (Dratch is still part of the show and will pop up as a number of different characters throughout its run). But after filming that version, which played up the fake sketches in "The Girlie Show" more, Fey rethought what she wanted to do.

"To see sort of canned sketches within the body of the show didn't really feel right," Fey says. "I saw it was going to be more of a straight acting part and wanted to rewrite it. Rachel and I are both very excited about this new direction -- it's a different way to use her range. She's so delightful when she's deep in character."

Having seen the original pilot, Krakowski ("Ally McBeal") knew more or less what she was getting into as well.

"I came in as a fan, and I just really didn't want to mess it up," Krakowski says. "I wanted to fit in as much as I could and bring as much as I could to the program. It was very interesting to kind of see what the product is before joining it. ... Because I loved it so much, I just wanted to do the best job I could."

Shows about show business have a pretty spotty record in the recent past -- in fact, "Studio 60" is drawing only so-so ratings early in its life. Fey, however, hopes viewers see that TV business in "30 Rock" is pretty much a backdrop, much the way that "Mary Tyler Moore" wasn't really about a local newscast.

Fey is not so bold as to compare the quality of her show with the 1970s classic ("We should be so lucky," she says), but she does think the framework of the two shows is similar.

"You're not really going to see the sketches on the show," she says. "You'll see the lives of these characters that work at the show."

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/zap-30rockpremiere,0,4808084.story

I'm watching it right now, and Tracy Morgan is a damn fool!!!
Him singing "Love is a Battlefield" at a strip joint
had me dyin'!!!

Watched the pilot, not impressed at all. It got a couple "heh"s out of me, but I dunno if I'd watch it again.

The only really funny aspects are Tracey Morgan and Alec Baldwin.

amazingfantasy15 said:
Very overrated.

Agreed. I'll stick with NBC's good show about a show...Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Although, Alec and Tracey may have earned this one more try for me.

I got one word for y'all: HATERS!!!

No, I dont think so. The show was totally flat. Nothing funny at all except for Tracey Morgan.

I thought i was funny. i liked the part when tracy morgans character was like there just doing that so they can inject AIDS into our chicken nuggests.

=0( where is the Tina Fey i love?? did she lived her magic on SNL? because they are not using it at all! what a waist of Tina Fey

*Dark_Phoenix* said:
=0( where is the Tina Fey i love?? did she lived her magic on SNL? because they are not using it at all! what a waist of Tina Fey
Isn't she the creator/writer of the show? She would be the "they" you're talking about.

You honky grandmas be trippin'!

I find the show amusing in its ridiculousness. Anytime you can throw a cat across the room is a good time, as far as I'm concerned.

I thought it was pretty funny, but I'm easily amused and I already like Tina Fey and Tracy Morgan. I'll probably keep watching it.

Nine More for '30 Rock'

NBC picks up comedy for full season
December 1, 2006

Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey on '30 Rock'NBC's remade Thursday comedy lineup, which debuted last night, will remain intact for a while.

The network has given a full-season order to "30 Rock," the lone freshman series in the group, following a fairly decent ratings performance in its new time period. It becomes the fourth new NBC show to be picked up this season, following "Heroes," "Studio 60" and "Friday Night Lights."

"In '30 Rock,' [creator/star] Tina Fey and [executive producer] Lorne Michaels, along with stars Alec Baldwin and Tracy Morgan, have the goods with this excellent comedy," NBC Entertainment boss Kevin Reilly says. "We look forward to future episodes of this bright new show, which is right on-brand for our Thursday-night comedy block."

Like "Studio 60," "30 Rock" is set behind the scenes at a sketch comedy show. It focuses on the fictional show's head writer, Liz Lemon (Fey), whose life is thrown into chaos by the arrival of a new NBC executive (Baldwin), who bullies her into hiring a mercurial movie star (Morgan) onto her show's cast.

Jane Krakowski, Scott Adsit, Jack McBrayer and Judah Friedlander also star in the series.

The pickup comes one day after "30 Rock" made its time-period debut at 9:30 p.m. ET Thursday night. It drew about 6 million viewers -- on par with its season average -- and a 2.7 rating among adults 18-49, better than its season-long nubmer of 2.4. It retained about three-fourths of the audience from its lead-in, the season premiere of "Scrubs" (7.7 million viewers, 3.6 in adults 18-49).

Great News. I think the Show is getting better and better.

I loved the most recent episode of this show. On that note, I shall run the next time I find myself in a dark corridor with Elizabeth Taylor.

Liz Taylor: "I came to give you the gift... of pain."
Josh: "Gift of what?"
Liz Taylor: "WHITE DIAMONDS! HA-HA!!" *bludgeons Josh over the head*

*Dark_Phoenix* said:
Tina Fey rulz!!! SNL without her Sucks!

so true, but 30 rock well... rocks lol ^_^

i love this show, i cant stand studio 60. i thought id like it and thought its something i should like, but i just cant like that show lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"