5.15 Cyborg - Disussion Thread (Spoilers)

AgentPat said:
The other thing is, well... I have a special place in my heart for the cyborg story. Y'see, The Six Million Dollar Man was my other FAVORITE "superhero" as a kid, next to Superman. Goddamn, I LOVED that show. Wouldn't miss it. So yeah, I'm wicked excited to see what they do with this SV ep. Do fill me in on the homages though; I want to be in on the jokes LOL.

I used to so love that show when I was a kid too. I used to hope that Oscar would come and take me away and give me bionic implants. LOL! :D

I was just watching the episode Ryan. And Lex says real life isnt a comic book, its not always that black and white. It made me think of all you guys here who want the characters that they use in Smallville to be exact copies of what you see in the comic books. ;)

triplet said:
I LOVED the Six Million Dollar Man! He was so hot...
Ditto on the "hot" comments LOL. Yeah, I've always had a big thing for superheroes.

I didn't even think of that connection (albeit slim) to this.
Oh, I did. It was the first thing I thought of after reading Gough's quote. There was an episode of T6MDM where Steve is on assignment somewhere in the South. He hits his head and you guessed it, he gets amnesia. (The amnesia thing is VERY common in this genre. "Blank," anybody? LOL) Anyhoo, so Steve doesn't know who he is, or that he's part machine. When his right arm is accidentally ripped open in an accident, he sees the wires hanging out and thinks he's a machine. ALL machine. This royally freaks him out until he cuts his finger on the other hand from the wires and then bleeds. A woman who is there to witness the incident comforts him and tells him she doesn't understand what's going on either, but it's obvious he's human and they would get to the bottom of things together. It was a touching scene.

Now, I haven't seen that episode since I was a kid, but I sure do remember it. It was re-heeeeeely well done. I'm kinda looking forward to that sort of angle with Cyborg, and based on Gough's comments, I think we're gonna get something like it too. :D :D :D

Mike_D said:
I hope they introduce Clark's glasses pretty soon.
They already did in Whisper. I doubt we'll be seeing him wear glasses any more in the show though since he does that after he shows up in the suit as Superman, and we won't be seeing *that* till the very end. They may allude to the glasses as a means for disguise though; doesn't the Maya character in Vengeance wear glasses?

mellyM said:
Who is that exactly?
"Kolchak: The Night Stalker" was Chris Carter's main inspiration for creating The X-Files. It was an awesome show, so good in fact, they tried to remake it recently with Stuart Townsend as Karl.

Read some of these quotes from the old episodes. They're a riot!! Kolchak would do these amazingly funny monologs describing events in a sarcastic tone ala The X-Files Scully, or Chloe in Thirst. It totally made the show. The new Night Stalker, which has subsequently been canceled, didn't have that kind of creativity or wit. Big surprise it was canceled.

BTW, where is everybody today? :(

I just wish they would have gotten a more popular character like Wonder Woman, Robin, Green Lantern, heck even Martian Manhunter.

musclesforsupes said:
I just wish they would have gotten a more popular character like Wonder Woman, Robin, Green Lantern, heck even Martian Manhunter.
WW is taken, so to speak, like Batman was. They can't use her. Robin... well... didn't he come *after* Batman? So, if they can't use Batman, I suppose they're not going to be able - or want to - use Robin. Right? And GL and MM opens up the "alien" door a LOT further than SV may want to broach right now. It's complicated enough having Kryptonians "popping up" every few episodes when you least expect it LOL.

I'm sure the producers have covered all their bases though. If they are permitted to use a specific DCU character, and they can make it work effectively in the show (ultimately what's important), then they will. Notice too that Cyborg is preeming in FEBRUARY, which is the next sweeps' month. Aqua was HUGE for them in November, so they're gonna go with themes that net them good ratings in order to capitalize on that popularity. I would!

AgentPat said:
BTW, where is everybody today? :(

Cowering from the dread of Holiday Cheer.
icon10.gif

The downside with things right now is that Superhero movies are gaining popularity, so most of the major properties have been picked up for a theatrical release at some point. This makes the pickins mighty slim for the show to use.

If they hadn't of used the Flash when they did, they probably would have missed out now that his rights are also tied up for a movie. I say lets take what we can get.:up:

musclesforsupes said:
what about bizzaro or darkside, have some bad guys come out
"Darkside?" Is he a friend of Darth Helmut? Heh! S'kay Muscles, we know whatcha meant. ;)

Bizzaro would be VERY interesting, but they'd have to "adapt" the character to fit into SV continuity. No suit is a bit of a change, if not a big change. I suppose if it works for Clark, it would work for Bizzaro. Not sure I'd want him referred to as "Bizarro" though. Something more creative... like Chloe first spotting him and telling Clark she saw somebody who looked like him, "except he acted more bizarro." LOL! Yeah, that would work. Hee! I'm also a big fan of giving Welling any opportunity to act OOC. :up: :D On top of everything, I can't see them making a feature film about Bizarro, or even including him in another Superman film, so I would imagine the SV folks *could* use him if they wanted to. Only question is, would it be somewhat derivative of other episodes? (Not that it's stopped them before LOL)

AgentPat said:
"Kolchak: The Night Stalker" was Chris Carter's main inspiration for creating The X-Files. It was an awesome show, so good in fact, they tried to remake it recently with Stuart Townsend as Karl.

Read some of these quotes from the old episodes. They're a riot!! Kolchak would do these amazingly funny monologs describing events in a sarcastic tone ala The X-Files Scully, or Chloe in Thirst. It totally made the show. The new Night Stalker, which has subsequently been canceled, didn't have that kind of creativity or wit. Big surprise it was canceled.

Man, I tried watching that a time or two and one major problem with it was that Stuart Townshend couldn't act his way out of a paper bag...

I guess there was a reason for Peter Jackson to can him as Aragorn.

And the sarcastic monologues from Kolchak were like the best part of that show. Townshend doesn't have half the charm in his whole body that Darrin McGavin had in his little finger... Hiring someone who had some charm would have made all the difference in the world.

As for Cyborg, the episode sounds great to me.... Bizarro would be interesting too if they did that. I'm not sure how'd they do Darkseid.

triplet said:
Man, I tried watching that a time or two and one major problem with it was that Stuart Townshend couldn't act his way out of a paper bag...

I guess there was a reason for Peter Jackson to can him as Aragorn.

And the sarcastic monologues from Kolchak were like the best part of that show. Townshend doesn't have half the charm in his whole body that Darrin McGavin had in his little finger...

Hiring someone who had some charm would have made all the difference in the world.
Which goes back to the whole casting issue. That said, I really liked Townsend in LoEG. He was wonderfully sarcastic ("What are you?" "I'm complicated!") and babalicious to boot. What they did to him in TNS was tragic, not to mention how incredibly poor the writing was. Ah vell.

AgentPat said:
Which goes back to the whole casting issue. That said, I really liked Townsend in LoEG. He was wonderfully sarcastic ("What are you?" "I'm complicated!") and babalicious to boot. What they did to him in TNS was tragic, not to mention how incredibly poor the writing was. Ah vell.

I never saw the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen but his material could have been the problem, true. The dialogue truly stank and the change to the premise (he's trying to find his wife's killer instead of just being a tabloid journalist who fights spooks) wasn't really necessary.

avidreader said:
]
I was just watching the episode Ryan. And Lex says real life isnt a comic book, its not always that black and white. It made me think of all you guys here who want the characters that they use in Smallville to be exact copies of what you see in the comic books. ;)

I don't think very many people who are actually fans of the show REALLY want exact copies - most fans know that at some point, there are going to be adjustments.

We do, however, expect SOME kind of loyalty to the established character and his/her history.

With a character like Kara, they explained it in such a way that she wasn't REALLY Supergirl. Theoretically, the REAL Kara could show up later in Superman's history.

People are irritated because there is no good reason for Cyborg to be showing up. As far as I know he has no long-standing history with Superman, and he's a second-gen superhero. It doesn't make sense that a second-gen superhero would be born before even the first-gen superheroes are. Not to mention that, since Teen Titans is a popular show and it's airing in Feburary (sweeps), it's plainly obvious that they're just trying to recreate the ratings of Run and Aqua.

AgentPat said:
"Darkside?" Is he a friend of Darth Helmut? Heh! S'kay Muscles, we know whatcha meant. ;)

Bizzaro would be VERY interesting, but they'd have to "adapt" the character to fit into SV continuity. No suit is a bit of a change, if not a big change. I suppose if it works for Clark, it would work for Bizzaro. Not sure I'd want him referred to as "Bizarro" though. Something more creative... like Chloe first spotting him and telling Clark she saw somebody who looked like him, "except he acted more bizarro." LOL! Yeah, that would work. Hee! I'm also a big fan of giving Welling any opportunity to act OOC. :up: :D On top of everything, I can't see them making a feature film about Bizarro, or even including him in another Superman film, so I would imagine the SV folks *could* use him if they wanted to. Only question is, would it be somewhat derivative of other episodes? (Not that it's stopped them before LOL)

BWHAHA!! That would actually be a very entertaining episode.

Lt. Figgnuts said:
...We do, however, expect SOME kind of loyalty to the established character and his/her history.

With a character like Kara, they explained it in such a way that she wasn't REALLY Supergirl. Theoretically, the REAL Kara could show up later in Superman's history.
That's what we've been saying. Covenant's Kara *wasn't* the REAL Supergirl. Her "real" name (in the episode) wasn't even Kara, it was Lindsey (sp?) Maybe the SV writers are just using the Teen Titan character as a template. That is to say, a human with cybernetic implants. It shouldn't be the actual character that's important, it's how that character influences the SV characters, namely Clark and Lex.

People are irritated because there is no good reason for Cyborg to be showing up....
But there IS. The "am I human or machine?" story has been done dozens of times in fiction. Here's SV's opportunity to tackle the question and use it as a metaphor to help Clark. Who cares if SV's version of the character matches what's been established elsewhere? Just because the character has the same name (Kara) and can do what their comic's version can do (superpowered Kryptonian), doesn't necessarily mean the SV version (Lindsey) will actually BE that character (Supergirl.)

AgentPat said:

You should check out Sage's posts in this thread for how to intro Bizarro into SV continuity:
http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187538&page=5

Lt.Figgnuts said:
Not to mention that, since Teen Titans is a popular show and it's airing in Feburary (sweeps), it's plainly obvious that they're just trying to recreate the ratings of Run and Aqua./quote]

Well there's nothing wrong with that. Good ratings is what keeps the show airing.

I'm more than confident that they are capable of not jeopardising the quality of the product, considering how fantastic everything has been coming together this season.

And if you take this into account -

AgentPat said:
It shouldn't be the actual character that's important, it's how that character influences the SV characters, namely Clark and Lex.

It can only be good.

RakuMon said:
You should check out Sage's posts in this thread for how to intro Bizarro into SV continuity:
http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187538&page=5
I saw them, but didn't read them. No offense to Sage, but I didn't want to be spoiled. There were some references to the new Crisis series and I haven't read it yet. I have the issues; I just haven't read 'em. I hit the comic store every few weeks, stock up on the latest issues of various Supes' comics, and then read 'em when I have time. Birthright was one of the few series I read IN THE CAR on my way home from picking up the latest issue LOL. That was such an amazing series. But with Crisis, man... it's freakin' deep. It's not "difficult" or anything - don't get me wrong - I just need to be in a certain mindset to read that stuff and absorb it all. BR just flowed. It was beautiful. They could have cast Danny DiVito in a Superman film based on BR and I would have been all over it like white on rice...

Gah. Don't get me started, Rak. :(

For what its worth, I just read on another site that Gough said in the TV Guide article that the Connor and Katharine relationship is supposed to parallel Clark and Lana.

AgentPat said:
I saw them, but didn't read them. No offense to Sage, but I didn't want to be spoiled. There were some references to the new Crisis series and I haven't read it yet. I have the issues; I just haven't read 'em. I hit the comic store every few weeks, stock up on the latest issues of various Supes' comics, and then read 'em when I have time. Birthright was one of the few series I read IN THE CAR on my way home from picking up the latest issue LOL. That was such an amazing series. But with Crisis, man... it's freakin' deep. It's not "difficult" or anything - don't get me wrong - I just need to be in a certain mindset to read that stuff and absorb it all. BR just flowed. It was beautiful. They could have cast Danny DiVito in a Superman film based on BR and I would have been all over it like white on rice...

Gah. Don't get me started, Rak. :(

Birthright was good wasn't it?:) :up:

So is Infinite Crisis so far.

Brainiac 8 said:
Birthright was good wasn't it?:) :up:

So is Infinite Crisis so far.
Oh man, BR was amazing. I re-heeely enjoyed it. Probably had a lot to do with its "vague" (*ahem* :rolleyes: ) similarity to SV. LOL :p

Ok I not sure if Cyborg sould be in smallville cause there no true relations between Clark and Victor Stone from the comics. After reading the spoilers on KryptonSite I am not on how they are doing his orgin. It should be his father that creates the cyborg body, not Lex.

tecnowraith said:
Ok I not sure if Cyborg sould be in smallville cause there no true relations between Clark and Victor Stone from the comics. After reading the spoilers on KryptonSite I am not on how they are doing his orgin. It should be his father that creates the cyborg body, not Lex.

Within the confines of Smallville continuity, it's fine by me. I could see Lex trying to take advantage of a situation like this, and trying to use the newfound power in Vic.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Cyborg" Is Cast
Special thanks to: MANOFTHEATOM
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Playing Victor Stone, aka the "Cyborg" in episode #15 of the current Smallville season will be Lee Thompson Young. [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]21-year-old Young is probably best known for his TV role as "The Famous Jett Jackson" on the Disney channel. He's also recognizable from the movie "Friday Night Lights."[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Cyborg" is scheduled to air in late February.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
friday1.jpg

[/FONT]​

WOW

I remember The Famous Jett Fackson & he was in Friday Night Lights ? Heh didn't recognize him

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"