5.19 - Mercy - Official Thread (spoilers)

can't the writers think for themselves? A geez saw ripoff? OY! Only good part was the ending between Clark and Lionel

If the Season Finale is nothing but AMAZING. Then aside from Fine this Season = very lacking

Wow. What a twisted episode, but unlike Tomb....this was twisted in a good way.

Very entertaining scenes. Glover was great as usual.

This episode seems to raise more questions than answer them though.

Lionel certainly wasnt acting like himself in the final scene, he was talking like a Kryptonian :confused:

What's stopping Lex from figuring Clark is a metahuman or alien? So many evidence before his eyes and yet he seems so blind.

Why do I have a twisted feeling Jor-El is tied to all this somehow....

It also seems Lana's feelings for Lex are real. No duplicity.

Martha seems to be growing very close to Lionel after this incident too. Are they both pawns?

The most unnerving part in all this is we dont know who the true villian is... Lionel? Zod? Jor-El? Whos been playing this twisted game.

The only negative with this episode was the Tormentor...his identity of being some random dude kinda sucked. I would have written him as Morgan Edge. That'd be a pretty insane twist.

Overall, great to watch as all Lionel-focused episodes tend to be. Im sad we didnt get more Lionel episodes earlier on but thankfully it looks like he has a huge part to play in the final episodes. After 3 weeks of crap, I'm glad they gave him an episode.

I'd give it 4.5 out of 5. It loses a 0.5 for the episode antagonist being a random dude, but overall good episode, Lionel's been starved for focus way too long on SV. He used to be my favorite Smallville character from the getgo before they ruined him in Season 4. I think if they play their cards right, maybe they can redeem him and fix him.

tonytr1687 said:
This whole "is he Lionel or is he Jor-El" game the writers are playing is getting ridiculous. Lionel has done WAAAYY too many MB-style things on his own, in the absense of ppl like Clark and Martha and Lex, for him to be Jor-El. Not to mention there is no way Jor-El would ever be so interested in Martha and Lex's lives so as to involve himself like Lionel has. I thought it was practically confirmed that Lionel was his old self, and now the writers had to throw this on us to confuse us again. He better not be Jor-El or a reformed Lionel, otherwise this season will be end up with a ton of plot holes.

Actyally Tony, he would be interested in Martha to stay close to Clark, and Lex to protect Clark. Many here have thought that Lionel has been Lion-el for a while. I don't think we have seen a genuine Lionel this whole season. I think Jor-el has been keeping close tabs on his ward this whole time, making sure that Clark is ready to handle his destiny when the time comes.

Clark has proven himself many times this season that he is much closer to being ready for the big league than he used to be. (Hidden, Solitude, Arrival) Looks like that father's "Tough Love" worked out after all.:D

I was hoping Lionel would somehow be behind it all. I mean how awesome would that have been? If he had done all that so he could get closer to Martha AND witness Clark's powers firsthand? But then I realized it couldn't be b/c of the scene on the train tracks and in his office...he wasn't in front of anybody he would have been trying to fool and yet he was completely scared and surprised by what was going on.

Brainiac 8 said:
Actyally Tony, he would be interested in Martha to stay close to Clark, and Lex to protect Clark. Many here have thought that Lionel has been Lion-el for a while. I don't think we have seen a genuine Lionel this whole season. I think Jor-el has been keeping close tabs on his ward this whole time, making sure that Clark is ready to handle his destiny when the time comes.

Clark has proven himself many times this season that he is much closer to being ready for the big league than he used to be. (Hidden, Solitude, Arrival) Looks like that father's "Tough Love" worked out after all.:D

Yeah but why wouldnt he just reveal his cards to Clark and tell him he was still in Lionel's body like in Hidden? Doesnt make sense for him to be playing this game. It's so unlike Jor-El since so far he's been very straightforward to Clark about his intentions. And no matter what Jor-El's intentions would be for getting close to Lex and Martha, the fact is Jor-El doesn't really care about anyone but Clark. He has shown himself to be quite unconcerned about human beings so I dont see why he would want to concern himself with Martha and Lex, even if it meant helping Clark.

tonytr1687 said:
Yeah but why wouldnt he just reveal his cards to Clark and tell him he was still in Lionel's body like in Hidden? Doesnt make sense for him to be playing this game. It's so unlike Jor-El since so far he's been very straightforward to Clark about his intentions.

Like many parent and child relationships, expecially father/son ones, maybe he felt his KNOWN presence would alter some of the decisions Clark made; or maybe question them. Clark would have to prove something to him knowing he was around watching him, that might have made him change his decisions for the worse.

Keeping his identity secret, then there was nothing interfering with Clark doing what it is he needed to do when the situation called for it. No "pressure" as it were.

As long as Lionel isnt directly being controlled by Jor-El...or had his mind messed up somehow, its all good.

I want it to be so Lionel developed from what he was to this somehow...instead of having his mind messed up cause then it really wouldnt be the real Lionel Luthor at all.

They need to keep Lionel on this show till the end.

Brainiac 8 said:
Like many parent and child relationships, expecially father/son ones, maybe he felt his KNOWN presence would alter some of the decisions Clark made; or maybe question them. Clark would have to prove something to him knowing he was around watching him, that might have made him change his decisions for the worse.

Keeping his identity secret, then there was nothing interfering with Clark doing what it is he needed to do when the situation called for it. No "pressure" as it were.

You make a good point, but why kill Griff? Why act so ruthless like he has in some episodes recently? We've seen him continue to act very Lionel-like even when he's by himself. If he was Jor-El, wouldn't he be acting quite different when alone?

tonytr1687 said:
You make a good point, but why kill Griff? Why act so ruthless like he has in some episodes recently? We've seen him continue to act very Lionel-like even when he's by himself. If he was Jor-El, wouldn't he be acting quite different when alone?

But, what was it Griff had when Lionel killed him? Pictures appearently threatening to Clark. Jor-el in this continuity would obviously do what it took to protect Clark in any way he can. He has already shown how concerned he is for humans, his sons continued protection comes first. If that means a person has to bite it...then so be it.

This was the perfect episode for 4/20. Who needs drugs? It really f^cks with your head.

This show never ceases to come up with a new way to create emotions in the viewer.

Martha and Clark together in their family moments are fantastic. When she saw Clark after he stopped the elevator and they just hugged, good stuff.

What an incredible scene with Clark and Lionel. People continue to say that Clark is too trusting...Oh really? He might give the superpowered some benefit of the doubt from time to time, in which case he has been right as recently as last week, and many times over previous seasons, but that isn't always the case. Instead of sitting back and letting Lionel think he has all the control of the situation, Clark let him know he isn't going to just cower under is knowledge. I can't wait to find out what exactly is wrong with Lionel and his headaches, and what he was writing down.

Tom said that he wasn't going to be able to do much in the episodes before and after he directed, but he sure had some good scenes in the few he had.

Lex is either going to have another nervous breakdown or have to be mindwiped, he is gathering just as much info on Clark as Lionel without the benefit of Kryptonian interference.

What an excellent episode, this is one satisfied viewer.

For some reason I am looking forward to Supernaturals Finale more then Smallville. It will be great to see these guys get their revenge :up:

AgentPat said:
Oh c'mon Sage. :mad:

What was wrong with *that* episode, eh? (I didn't see Saw, so I could care less how similar it was.) There weren't even any FOTW's in this one. An episode that focuses mostly on Lionel and Martha - played by two actors who have all their ducks in a row in a major way - isn't something you see every week. And my GOD! That scene at the end. Holy Toledo. When's the last time you saw Clark in THAT mode? :p :p :p

I said the last two minutes were excellent. The rest of it felt filler. I'm getting kinda tired of Chloe as Oracle. They need to just set her up in the Watchtower. It felt like everything was just stuffed in to get to those final minutes. Plus, there is that Saw stuff.

Plus him catching the falling elevator is complete and utter bull****.

AgentPat said:
And my GOD! That scene at the end. Holy Toledo. When's the last time you saw Clark in THAT mode? :p :p :p

That's on the list of all-time favorite SV scenes now. Man.. Angry, intimidating, threatening Clark is something to behold indeed! My son even called me from school to rave about that scene.

As far as the ep being a rip-off of Saw.. Meh. Was that a surprise for anyone? It was pretty obvious from the trailers that was coming down. Here's the thing.. Saw didn't have Lionel and Martha. :) So it didn't bother me at all. I saw Saw (lol) and while the concept of being trapped and having to solve puzzles was the same, the similarities end there. Very abruptly.

I wasn't sure if I was going to like a Lionel/Martha-centric episode, but you know.. they totally sold it for me. I liked watching the two of them interact, I thought their responses to each other were very believable.

Lana and Lex.. Gaaah! I like it, but it makes my head hurt. I think they're handling this really well though. It's a slooowly unfolding story.. If they had them clinching and sucking face again this episode, I think it would have felt rushed. But it was just another brief tease, without showing all the card AGAIN..

Did I mention how great that last scene was?!!!! Screencaps! I need screencaps, Kalkai! :D

I've never seen SAW either so I thought the episode was pretty spectacular. Loved the look Clark gave Lex when he asked if they could maybe get back to where they were. He's pretty much made his mind up about Lex. Interesting that Lex is putting all the pieces together wonder where they are going to go with that?

Oh and I do like the chemistry between Lex and Lana it's way more mature. I don't know if that has to do with the actors or the writing, but it definitely feels more like an adult relationship as opposed to that school girl thing she had going with Clark.

As far as Lionel goes he had a headache earlier in the show too. I'm wondering if Jor-El takes over to protect his Vessel. I don't think Lionel knows or saw anything that Clark did. It's just the way he says son.......someone asked earlier why wouldn't he come out and say who he was. Well, would you if every time you spoke to Clark he pretty much told you to piss off. I'm thinking he's holding his cards close to his chest until it's time to lay down.

Unleashed said:
It's a little thing called physics.

The Physics of Superman. You know.. that's the branch that has laws that allow for men to run at the speed of light and have heat vision. Oh yeah.. and that flying thing..

Unleashed said:
It's a little thing called physics.

You're using physics on Superman? Didn't you know that the yellow sun prohibits the law of physics applying to any being possessing supernatural strength, heat vision, super hearing or the ability to fly?

Serene said:
The Physics of Superman. You know.. that's the branch that has laws that allow for men to run at the speed of light and have heat vision. Oh yeah.. and that flying thing..

Hee Great minds......except I forgot the supersonic speed.
icon12.gif

Don't forget the Byrne explanation of how he lifts huge things. His mind pushes them. :supes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"