85th Annual Academy Awards (2013)

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by lime, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DACrowe

DACrowe Well-Known Member

It seems many critics are rallying around ZD30. I will not see it for another week, but it is curious. Part of me wonders if the mainstream awards will join the party like they did with THL? The thing is that THL came out during a year of weak contention and the Academy was just itching to be politically noble and give its first Oscar to a female director (even playing that awful "I am woman hear me roar" when Bigelow won :dry: ). This year, they have had their self-congratulatory pat on the back in 2009 and it is a more competitive year.

P.S. This has nothing to do with Zero's quality. I haven't seen it. But it is a movie that looks like it is shot in that shaky-cam faux-documentary style that the Academy generally dislikes and does things that will make the politically minded wing of the Academy uncomfortable, like give credit to torture in the killing of Bin Laden. I could see them staying with something far safer like Les Miserables or Lincoln or even Argo over Zero in the end. Just a hunch. Kind of like how despite the critics going gaga for Social Network, the Academy went for the Oscar bait with The King's Speech. Feels very similar right now.

2. terry78

terry78 I'm gonna need more rope

Yeah it getting acclaim up the ass.

3. kvz5

kvz5 HBIC

I wonder who can take on ZDT? Lincoln? The Master? SLP? Argo? The mixed reviews for Les Miz makes me think that it's not the strong BP contender that I initially thought it was. I have no doubts that Hathaway will win Supp Actress and someone other than her from the cast would get a nod (Jackman/Crowe/Redmaybe/Barks) but I don't think it's the 2nd strongest one after ZDT for BP.

4. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

i still hope life of pi takes home the prize

5. jmc

jmc away for a while

Les Mis is going to get support from the actors branch regardless of mixed reviews. Argo as good as it is I think is going to lose steam. To me the big unknown is where Django fits, so far word is extremely good for it and if that proves to be right maybe, just maybe it might be Quentin's time.

6. Kansiov

Kansiov Well-Known Member

Lawrence was actually lucky to get a win out of LA, just reading some of the tweets, they were planning for a Riva win- that is until Boston and NY Online surprisingly both gave Riva the nod which made a significant portion of their membership dissent off the Riva bandwagon, making it a tie. Also, Field beat Watson by a single vote at Boston. :wow:

7. kvz5

kvz5 HBIC

San Diego Film Critics Nominations:

8. redhawk23

redhawk23 Wrestlin'

While I don't think it has much of a shot at winning Best Picture, Django Unchained just might tear things up in the Director categories, and maybe in some of the acting, but I fully expect some attention where the script is concerned.

9. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

Everybody loves Django the same way they loved Inglourious Basterds: a great time, but hardly "The One" for Quentin. From what I've gathered, it's a hyper-violent hilarious crowd pleaser. Nobody's describing the movie as Tarantino's crowing achievement or anything, so I don't expect it to get too much awards love outside of the screenplay, acting and technical categories.

But then, I wasn't expecting Zero Dark Thirty to sweep everyone off their feet like this either, so who knows. I'm very much looking forward to ZDT, because at this point the only other "contenders" that I've been particularly impressed with were The Master and Life of Pi. I very much enjoyed Lincoln, The Silver Linings Playbook and Argo, but I personally wouldn't have declared them BP material. I also saw Anna Karenina today, and would probably put that one above those 3 as well. So while I truly did enjoy them all, I can't help but feel a little let-down by the "front-runners" so far.

That said, I'm kinda loving how up-in-the-air this race has been this year. It's not as much fun when the winner was already made clear way back in September at TIFF (which is basically what happened in the last 2 races).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  10. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

life of pi should be front runner just due to it's ambition the novel was seen as unfilmable it was a huge undertaking and he pulled it off if anything ang le should win best director

11. Kansiov

http://www.dcfilmcritics.com/awards/

12. redhawk23

redhawk23 Wrestlin'

Whoa, they gave screenplay to Looper? I have no real problem with that, I'm just surprised.

13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Dont understand why Life of Pi and Ang Lee arent winning anything. So strange, I also think Daniel Day Lewis should not win for Lincoln after seeing the film.

I think it should be Phoenix for The Master

14. terry78

terry78 I'm gonna need more rope

I honestly think, while he did a good job, DDL getting a nod for transforming himself is kind of on the nose. We all expect it, and i actually would not mind a little upset of the status quo. I know it's wrong, but I'm actually getting bored with good actors.

:o

15. kvz5

kvz5 HBIC

The Master is MIA. :wow:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/afi-awards-2012-winners/

16. DACrowe

I'm hoping ZD30 or Les Miserables or Django will sweep me off my feet. I really liked Lincoln and SLP and more respected Argo than loved it, but none of them blew me away.

I am kind of intrigued you thought Anna Karenina was better than Lincoln and SLP. I thought it was a very pretty looking movie, but was too overdone with its "high society is a stage" concept to make the story interesting. It felt like Wright had become bored with period pieces to me and did this to keep himself interested to the detriment of the story.

17. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

Well to be clear, I said "probably," putting it not much higher than those others in my mind at the moment. And I think where we fundamentally differ on it is that I didn't think the technique was overdone in trying to make the story interesting, I thought it succeeded in making the story interesting. I'm not a Tolstoy fan, so forgive me for the oversimplification of such a highly-regarded classic novel, but Anna Karenina as a story is one big soap opera to me. Of course there are bigger themes at work and all, but when it comes to the characters, I've never cared about them or their plight in any adaptation. But when you really emphasize the context of it like this technique did, take it out of Tolstoy's "realist" mode and intentionally paint these characters more as larger-than-life archetypes than naturalistic human beings, it really brought out the high tragedy of it all for me, and got me involved in the same way I get involved with fairy tales and some Shakespeare adaptations.

It also managed to give the Levin/Kitty relationship its due, something no adaptation I've seen has done. And of course, I couldn't help but marvel at the technical achievement. Bringing the story to life in this way was one hell of an undertaking from every single department of the production. I wanted to stand up and applaud them all by the end of it, lol.

But yes, like you, I'm still waiting to be swept off my feet by one of these front runners. The buzz and clips from Les Miz and Django are suggesting to me that it might not be them (though I'm still expecting to enjoy the hell out of Django), so I'm really crossing my fingers for ZDT now.

18. jacobed

jacobed Well-Known Member

No surprise, I didn't think The Master was anything to write home about

19. Warhammer

Warhammer Half Monk, Half Hitman

I'm with you actually. I don't even know why everyone is pussyfooting about it. Daniel Day-Lewis was going to win Best Actor from the day one. Does it make me a bad guy to see him NOT get the award? I legitimately want there to be an upset for anyone else for the sake of shock.

And it is cool to see Joss Whedon get a Best Original Screenplay nomination from the San Diego Film Critics. The man had his breakout year and it's been a long time coming for him.

20. Rowsdower!

Rowsdower! Well-Known Member

Yeah, I do kind of agree with you to some extent on this. I have yet to see Lincoln, but it seemed like everyone wanted to crown DDL with the award even before the trailer hit.

21. Kane52630

Kane52630 Something's gotta stop the flow

Of that list I still need to see Silver Linings Playbook, Zero Dark Thirty, Django Unchained, and probably Les Miserables.

22. Warhammer

Warhammer Half Monk, Half Hitman

Yep, exactly. If he did get the Oscar, it wouldn't go to someone who didn't deserve it. His performance was Oscar caliber. But the award would then just seem rather predictable.

23. DACrowe

Huh. You make a fair point. Still, I think while it is a melodrama, it only works if you believe the characters. By making it so artificial, it only brought into clarity more how quickly Anna and Vronsky were destroying their lives. Beyond that it made me view them as not real people, thus not really caring about the drama which drives the second half of the film.

24. Kansiov

http://www.examiner.com/article/detroit-film-critics-society-announces-their-2012-nominations

Detriot Film Critics Society

25. Bruce Malone

Bruce Malone Well-Known Member

Where are these societies coming from? "The Detroit Film critics society"? I swear there's like a million of them now when there's like two that matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.