85th Annual Academy Awards (2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are still a number of movies I need to see before I pick my personal favorites. But how the races are going right now....

Best Picture: Lincoln or Les Miserables
Best Director: Either Spielberg or Hooper, but I strangely feel like Affleck has an outside shot, though I think Argo is falling behind in the BP race.
Best Actor: Lewis
Best Actress: Chastain
Best Supporting Actor: Only major I cannot say.
Best Supporting Actress: Hathaway
Best Original Screenplay: Argo
Best Adapted Screenplay: Silver Linings Playbook

That is how it feels to me right now. I will probably do this again when the nominations are announced and the politics of it becomes clear.

Argo is also an adaptation. It's in th Adapted Screenplay category.

While based on history is Argo based on any specific book or report or anything?

Because The King's Speech counted for original did it not?

While based on history is Argo based on any specific book or report or anything?

Because The King's Speech counted for original did it not?

It's based on an article by Joshuah Bearman.

Argo is also an adaptation. It's in th Adapted Screenplay category.

Argo is based on a true story, but it is not based on any book. Unless the declassified reports count? I am pretty sure it is an original screenplay and not an adaptation.

People foolishly underestimate Django Unchained.

Hardly. I think it looks like it should be great and will be seeing it in its opening week. However, the Academy didn't go for Inglourious Basterds when it was all about killing Nazis. This one is dealing with the much touchier subject (at least for Americans) of slavery and race. It will treat it as something to unwrap and deconstruct in a humorous way like it's a piece of pop culture. If doing that to Nazis turned off Academy voters from taking IB seriously, I highly doubt they're going to dig Django Unchained. I could see it getting nominated for BP with 10 nominees, as well as Best Screenplay, but both will be token nominations (like IB). Also, I am surprised there is little buzz for DiCaprio getting a Best Supporting Actor nomination. If he does, that'll be great, but there is no groundswell of support like Christoph Waltz had and so, again, it kind of will begin and end with a nomination.

Just my prediction.

Argo is based on a true story, but it is not based on any book. Unless the declassified reports count? I am pretty sure it is an original screenplay and not an adaptation.

It's based on an article by Joshuah Bearman.

How much clearer can I say this. The Screenplay is based on that article by that man. There are many forms of adaptations.

District 9 is a completely original story, but since it was based on a 5 minute amateur short film, it competed in the Adapted Screenplay Category.

Argo is adapted, and will compeat in the Adapted Screenplay Category

Affleck, working from Mr. Mendez’s book, “The Master of Disguise,” and a 2007 Wired magazine article, “The Great Escape,” by the journalist Joshuah Bearman, embellishes the official story without eviscerating it.
http://movies.nytimes.com/2012/10/12/movies/argo-directed-by-ben-affleck.html?_r=0

It'll be in the Adapted category.

Satellite Award Nominations:

http://www.indiewire.com/article/complete-list-of-2012-satellite-award-nominations

Motion Picture
ARGO WARNER BROS.
SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK THE WEINSTEIN CO.
BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD FOX SEARCHLIGHT PICTURES
LES MISÉRABLES UNIVERSAL
SKYFALL COLUMBIA PICTURES
MOONRISE KINGDOM FOCUS FEATURES
THE SESSIONS FOX SEARCHLIGHT PICTURES
LINCOLN DREAMWORKS/TOUCHSTONE
LIFE OF PI TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX
ZERO DARK THIRTY COLUMBIA PICTURES

Director
DAVID O. RUSSELL SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK THE WEINSTEIN CO.
BEN AFFLECK ARGO WARNER BROS.
KIM KI-DUK PIETA DRAFTHOUSE FILMS
BEN LEWIN THE SESSIONS FOX SEARCHLIGHT PICTURES
STEVEN SPIELBERG LINCOLN DREAMWORKS/TOUCHSTONE
KATHRYN BIGELOW ZERO DARK THIRTY COLUMBIA PICTURES

Actress in a Motion Picture Name
JENNIFER LAWRENCE SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK THE WEINSTEIN CO.
EMILIE DEQUENNE OUR CHILDREN VERSUS PRODUCTION
KEIRA KNIGHTLEY ANNA KARENINA FOCUS FEATURES
EMMANUELLE RIVA AMOUR SONY PICTURES CLASSICS
LAURA BIRN PURGE SOLAR FILMS
LAURA LINNEY HYDE PARK ON HUDSON FOCUS FEATURES
JESSICA CHASTAIN ZERO DARK THIRTY COLUMBIA PICTURES

Actor in a Motion Picture
JOHN HAWKES THE SESSIONS FOX SEARCHLIGHT PICTURES
OMAR SY THE INTOUCHABLES THE WEINSTEIN CO.
HUGH JACKMAN LES MISÉRABLES UNIVERSAL
JOAQUIN PHOENIX THE MASTER THE WEINSTEIN CO.
DENZEL WASHINGTON FLIGHT PARAMOUNT PICTURES
DANIEL DAY-LEWIS LINCOLN DREAMWORKS/TOUCHSTONE
BRADLEY COOPER SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK THE WEINSTEIN CO.

Actress in a Supporting Role
AMY ADAMS THE MASTER THE WEINSTEIN CO.
HELENE FLORENT CAFÉ DE FLORE ADOPT FILMS
ANNE HATHAWAY LES MISÉRABLES UNIVERSAL
HELEN HUNT THE SESSIONS FOX SEARCHLIGHT PICTURES
JUDI DENCH SKYFALL COLUMBIA PICTURES
SAMANTHA BARKS LES MISERABLES UNIVERSAL

Actor in a Supporting Role
PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN THE MASTER THE WEINSTEIN CO.
ROBERT DE NIRO SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK THE WEINSTEIN CO.
JOHN GOODMAN FLIGHT PARAMOUNT PICTURES
JAVIER BARDEM SKYFALL COLUMBIA PICTURES
TOMMY LEE JONES LINCOLN DREAMWORKS/TOUCHSTONE
EDDIE REDMAYNE LES MISÉRABLES UNIVERSAL

Screenplay, Original
ERIC TOLEDANO, OLIVIER NAKACHE THE INTOUCHABLES THE WEINSTEIN CO.
JOHN GATINS FLIGHT PARAMOUNT PICTURES
KIM KI-DUK PIETA DRAFTHOUSE FILMS
ROMAN COPPOLA, WES ANDERSON MOONRISE KINGDOM FOCUS FEATURES
PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON THE MASTER THE WEINSTEIN CO.
MARK BOAL ZERO DARK THIRTY COLUMBIA PICTURES

Screenplay, Adapted
BEN LEWIN THE SESSIONS FOX SEARCHLIGHT PICTURES (BASED ON DOCUMENTARY “BREATHING LESSONS: THE LIFE AND WORK OF MARK O’BRIEN” DIRECTED BY JESSICA YU)
TONY KUSHNER, JOHN LOGAN, PAUL WEBB LINCOLN DREAMWORKS/TOUCHSTONE (BASED ON “TEAM OF RIVALS: THE POLITICAL GENIUS OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN” BY DORIS KEARNS GOODWIN)
CHRIS TERRIO ARGO WARNER BROS. (BASED ON “ESCAPE FROM TEHRAN” BY JOSHUAH BEARMAN)
TOM STOPPARD ANNA KARENINA FOCUS FEATURES (BASED ON THE NOVEL BY LEO TOLSTOY)
DAVID O. RUSSELL SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK THE WEINSTEIN CO. (BASED ON NOVEL BY MATTHEW QUICK)
DAVID MAGEE LIFE OF PI TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX (BASED ON THE NOVEL BY YANN MARTEL)

Original Score
ALEXANDRE DESPLAT ARGO WARNER BROS.
DARIO MARIANELLI ANNA KARENINA FOCUS FEATURES
THOMAS NEWMAN SKYFALL COLUMBIA PICTURES
JONNY GREENWOOD THE MASTER THE WEINSTEIN CO.
JOHN WILLIAMS LINCOLN DREAMWORKS/TOUCHSTONE
DAN ROMER, BENH ZEITLIN BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD/FOX SEARCHLIGHT PICTURES

Original Song
LEARN ME RIGHT BIRDY BIRDY & MUMFORD AND SONS BRAVE
STILL ALIVE PAUL WILLIAMS PAUL WILLIAMS PAUL WILLIAMS: STILL ALIVE
SKYFALL ADELE ADELE ADKINS, PAUL EPWORTH SKYFALL
SUDDENLY HUGH JACKMAN ALAIN BOUBIL, HERBERT KRETZMER LES MISÉRABLES
FIRE IN THE BLOOD/SNAKE SONG EMMYLOU HARRIS EMMYLOU HARRIS, NICK CAVE, WARREN ELLIS LAWLESS LOVE ALWAYS COMES AS A SURPRISE PETER ASHER PETER ASHER & DAVE STEWART MADAGASCAR 3

Cinematography
BEN RICHARDSON BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD/FOX SEARCHLIGHT PICTURES
MIHAI MALAIMARE JR THE MASTER/THE WEINSTEIN CO.
JANUSZ KAMINSKI LINCOLN/DREAMWORKS/TOUCHSTONE
ROGER DEAKINS SKYFALL/COLUMBIA PICTURES
SEAMUS MCGARVEY ANNA KARENINA/FOCUS FEATURES
CLAUDIO MIRANDA LIFE OF PI/TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX

Visual Effects
STEVE BEGG, ARUNDI ASREGADOO, ANDREW WHITEHURST SKYFALL COLUMBIA PICTURES
RICHARD STAMMERS, CHARLEY HENLEY, MARTIN HILL PROMETHEUS TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX
BILL WESTENHOFER LIFE OF PI TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX
MICHAEL LANTIERI, KEVIN BAILLIE, RYAN TUDHOPE, JIM GIBBS FLIGHT PARAMOUNT PICTURES
DAN GLASS, GEOFFREY HANCOCK, STEPHANE CERETTI CLOUD ATLAS WARNER BROS.
CHRIS CORBOULD, PAUL FRANKLIN THE DARK KNIGHT RISES WARNER BROS.

Film Editing
LISA BROMWELL THE SESSIONS FOX SEARCHLIGHT PICTURES
JEREMIAH O’DRISCOLL FLIGHT PARAMOUNT PICTURES
DYLAN TICHENOR ZERO DARK THIRTY COLUMBIA PICTURES
ALEXANDER BERNER CLOUD ATLAS WARNER BROS
JAY CASSIDY SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK THE WEINSTEIN CO.
CHRIS DICKENS LES MISÉRABLES UNIVERSAL

Sound (Editing and Mixing)
DENNIS LEONARD FLIGHT PARAMOUNT PICTURES
JOHN WARHURST, LEE WALPOLE, SIMON HAYES LES MISÉRABLES UNIVERSAL
CRAIG HENIGHAN, CHRIS MUNRO SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN UNIVERSAL
BAARD H. INGEBRETSEN, TORMOD RINGES KON-TIKI THE WEINSTEIN CO.
DREW KUNIN, EUGENE GEARTY, PHILIP STOCKTON LIFE OF PI TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX
VICTOR RAY ENNIS, ANN SCIBELLI, JOHN CUCCI, MARK P. STOECKINGER PROMETHEUS TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX

Art Direction & Production Design
RICK CARTER, CURT BEECH, DAVID CRANK, LESLIE MCDONALD LINCOLN DREAMWORKS/TOUCHSTONE
NATHAN CROWLEY, KEVIN KAVANAUGH, JAMES HAMBIDGE, NAAMAN MARSHALL THE DARK KNIGHT RISES WARNER BROS.
NIELS SEJER A ROYAL AFFAIR MAGNOLIA PICTURES
DAVID CRANK, JACK FISK THE MASTER THE WEINSTEIN CO.
SARAH GREENWOOD, NIALL MORONEY, THOMAS BROWN, NICK GOTTSCHALK, TOM STILL ANNA KARENINA FOCUS FEATURES
EVE STEWART, ANNA LYNCH-ROBINSON LES MISÉRABLES UNIVERSAL

Costume Design
COLLEEN ATWOOD SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN UNIVERSAL
MANON RASMUSSEN A ROYAL AFFAIR MAGNOLIA PICTURES
CHRISTIAN GASC, VALERIE RANCHOUX FAREWELL, MY QUEEN COHEN MEDIA GROUP
JACQUELINE DURRAN ANNA KARENINA FOCUS FEATURES
KYM BARRETT, PIERRE-YVES GAYRAUD CLOUD ATLAS WARNER BROS
PACO DELGADO LES MISÉRABLES UNIVERSAL

Last edited:
Bardem was fun but not Oscar caliber.

NYFCC Winners:

http://www.nyfcc.com/awards/

2012 Awards

Best Picture
Zero Dark Thirty

Best Director
Kathryn BigelowZERO DARK THIRTY

Best Screenplay
Tony KushnerLINCOLN

Best Actress
Rachel WeiszTHE DEEP BLUE SEA

Best Actor
Daniel Day-LewisLINCOLN

Best Supporting Actress
Sally FieldLINCOLN

Best Supporting Actor
Matthew McConaugheyBERNIE, MAGIC MIKE

Best Cinematographer
Greig FraserZERO DARK THIRTY

Best Animated Film
Frankenweenie

Best Non-Fiction Film (Documentary)
The Central Park Five

Best Foreign Film
Amour

Best First Film
David FranceHOW TO SURVIVE A PLAGUE

Marion Cotillard is in serious trouble now. Unless she starts gaining some momentum at the LAFCA and NBR, her Oscar campaign would be over by December.

I still think she's in but she's definitely not a threat for the crown anymore. It's now between Chastain and Lawrence with the former having the lead for now.

Marion already has an oscar she will be fine. The real thing to look to are the guilds.

Rises has no chance at the visual effects, not when it's up against life of pi, Prometheus and the avengers. It was not exactly heavy on effects. I could see it getting somethin for cinematography though. :)

Visual effects don't mean CGI only or at least it shouldn't. I don't expect Rises to win best Visual effects though.

I still think she's in but she's definitely not a threat for the crown anymore. It's now between Chastain and Lawrence with the former having the lead for now.

I don't think she considered herself in the running for the crown from the beginning. She's in a terrible position where her winning performance was so good, everything else she does after gets ignored because it wasn't as good as her winning performance (I am afraid Hathaway will be in the same position after Les Miserables). But I do think she's campaigning because she wants to get a 2nd nomination to be considered among the great French hollywood actresses and not merely a "one film wonder". But everything so far is going against her right now, she's not in the conversation at NYFCC and she got snubbed for a nomination spot that I was certain to be her's. The window is really closing fast on her now. :dry:

Looks like being a two horse race between Chastain and Lawrence for Best Actress. She's getting some seriously glowing praise in ZDT. I must say, things are shaping up to be one of the most competitive years in recent memory.

Judging from the Early reviews of the Hobbit seems like there isn't a big chance for it being nominated for Best Pic and Director maybe it will get nominated for technical awards.

Rises has no chance at the visual effects, not when it's up against life of pi, Prometheus and the avengers. It was not exactly heavy on effects. I could see it getting somethin for cinematography though. :)

Life of Pi will win easily but I'd say TDKR deserves it way more than The Avengers which had a lot of poor cg shots. Just because it doesn't have a lot of cg effects doesn't mean it doesnt deserve the award. The amount of live action shots in the film are staggering, what they were able to accomplish in camera deserves an award but Life of Pi is just wow

Rises definitely deserves a shot at visual effects. Everyone should watch the behind the scenes featurettes on the amount of work that went into it all. Absolutely staggering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"