86th Annual Academy Awards (2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tina Fey and Amy Poehler should just host everything. :o

^They were very funny and way better than overhyped Ricky Gervias. Being mean to celebs doesn't automatically make you funny. I enjoy insult comedy, I just mostly don't enjoy him. Sorry.

Speaking of overhyped... :o

I want Tom Hanks. Perfect host right there

I Mud eligible for nomination this year, because I can definitely see it getting a nod of Best Picture and McConaughey for Best Actor. From what I've been hearing about Gravity, Sandra Bullock is a likely Best Actress nominee, and maybe George Clooney for BA.

They're campaigning McConaughey for Supporting in Mud. If he can't get in for Lead in Dallas Buyers Club, I can see it sneaking in at Supporting for Mud.

He's got to be nominated for SOMTHING. It would be a HUGE snub if he gets shut out of every category.

MM is on everyone's radar now. They'll make sure he gets some kinda recognition.

I read that there's an outside shot of 4 of the 5 Best Actor Nominees being Black if everything lives up to the hype.

I Mud eligible for nomination this year, because I can definitely see it getting a nod of Best Picture and McConaughey for Best Actor. From what I've been hearing about Gravity, Sandra Bullock is a likely Best Actress nominee, and maybe George Clooney for BA.

A Bullock nomination would take her out of the "One Hit Oscar Wonder" category. Same for Forrest Whitaker in the Butler.

I read that there's an outside shot of 4 of the 5 Best Actor Nominees being Black if everything lives up to the hype.

Yup especially with 3 of them being handled by Weinstein (Jordan, Whitaker, and Elba).

I think Ejiofor and at least one of Weinsteain's (Whitaker most likely) will surely make it.

From the online reviews I have read about 12 Years a Slave, Ejiofor is a lock to be nominated. As is Fassbender.

Also outside shots for Black Actors to be nominated for Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor and Best Supporting Actress.

Last edited:
Mud had a very early release date and left very little impression on people, so the chances of it getting any major nominations is extremely unlikely.

Contender Countdown: 'Gravity' and '12 Years A Slave' storm out of the gate

Who's ready for some best picture predictions?
By Gregory Ellwood Thursday, Sep 5, 2013 1:55 AM

And we're back! Yes, it's your favorite weekly rundown of best picture contenders. A snapshot of who's up, who's down, who's got it in the bag and who's a big whiny pretender.

With Venice almost completed, Telluride in the books and Toronto opening her red carpets to the world, the 2013-2014 awards season is in full swing. Last year, "Silver Linings Playbook" was the surprise at Toronto as "Argo" kept its Telluride momentum going in full swing. "Lincoln's" debut was over a month away and many pundits were get smoke signals "Zero Dark Thirty" might not even make its expected end of year release. So, yep, a lot can happen between now and Dec. 1st. Telluride, however, was quite, um, telling this year (as it increasingly steals Venice and Toronto's thunder) and a number of films proved their worthiness (or not). With that in mind, let's review the countdown as it stands today, Sept. 5, 2013.

1. Gravity
Not only do we have critical raves, notable Academy members James Cameron,Michael Moore, Guillermo Del Toro and producer Frank Marshall have all publicly gushed over the pic. And it hasn't even hit Toronto yet.

2. 12 Years A Slave
Could dominate the year-end critics awards. Will have many passionate backers, but can it win?

3. Captain Phillips
Public won't see it until opening night of the New York Film Festival, but word is it delivers and then some.

4. Nebraska
The slam-dunk winner of the "we knew they'd like it, but we didn't know they they'd like it this much" award at Telluride. After the so-so reception at Cannes Paramount is likely shocked they don't just have a best actor nominee contender on their hands, but a best picture player.

5. Inside Llewyn Davis
In for the long haul and will easily be the New York and musicians choice.

6. Lee Daniels' The Butler
Hitting that $100 million will help.

7. August: Osage County

Lots of voters with lots of Academy friends in that cast. Pass the phone when you're done Julia?

8. American Hustle
It could be just amazingly commercial. Or, it could be even better than "Silver Linings Playbook."

9. Blue Jasmine
Is it seen as just a showcase for Cate Blanchett or something more? Good question.

10. Saving Mr. Banks

Opening night at AFI Fest is a nice platform to launch from. Everyone loves the script, but the clips and trailer have been a bit one note. If there is something special here Disney can't wait much longer in showing us what it is.

On the outside looking in:

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Big fan of Stiller's direction. Still not sure this is Oscar fare.

The Book Thief
Hear 20th Century Fox loves it, but lord that trailer.

Foxcatcher
Will arrive late to the party. Could it crack the best picture race or is it all about Steve Carell's performance?

Mud
Heard this movie come up as a favorite from a number of Academy members at Telluride. It might just be too competitive this year or, it's a Jan. 16 surprise.

The Dallas Buyer's Club

We'll find out at the Toronto Film Festival this weekend.

Her
Spike Jonze's latest looks like it's more of a player in the screenplay and best actor categories.

Lone Survivor
Peter Berg's redemption? Another late entry hoping to make waves.
Rush
Everyone who has seen it thinks it's the best thing Ron Howard has directed in a long time. Does that make it a best picture player though?

I think Michael B. Jordan's young age will work against him. If he were a woman his age wouldn't be an issue but I don't see them nominating some young upstart for his first lead role in a film over more famous veteran actors. Also the movie didn't exactly over perform at the box office so will it stay on the academy's mind come Oscar season? I hope I'm wrong and he gets a nomination though because I like him and think that it will help his career. I do think that Spencer has a better shot than him because she already won an Oscar showing that she is well respected.

I can't even recall the last brother that won an Oscar. Black women get nommed much more often.

If those are the films that will most likely be nominated, this is going to be one of the most boring Oscars in a long time.

dont forget about colin firth guys hearing good things about The Railway Man
680x478

Last year's Oscars had a lot of crowd pleasers and big movies in it - Argo, Lincoln, Life of Pi, Les Miz, etc. This time around we'll probably see more of the smaller, more artistic films that aren't necessarily huge box office hits.

I find it interesting that one potential Best Actor Nominee is already in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and another one is wanted by a lot of people (myself included) to be a part of MCU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"