90s music you'd like to hear in the movie

Dark Raven

It's not about what you deserve...
Reaction score
Last edited:
I really hope it's a little less blatantly-huge-popstar-status than most of that stuff.

She does seem a bit more of a rock type anyway, fighter pilot jock and all. If it's stuff Carol's actually listening to, I dunno - probably a little late for Guns N' Roses. And she doesn't really seem the mopey Seattle-sound type.

If they're going more mid-90s, maybe something accessible and mainstream from the time but still with a bit of bite, early stuff from The Offspring or Foo Fighters or something?

Maybe some cheesy but fun post-grunge type of stuff, Live or Everclear or whatever?

If something heavier/more metal, one of those more radio-friendly/successful mid-decade Megadeth tracks might work. Seems like a natural harder-edged/more modern extension of that "all fighter pilots listen to Van Halen" stereotype. Or the next-decade step of that Top Gun Kenny Loggins stuff, haha, definitely feels like something guitar-driven should be in play here.

Some Joe Satriani or Steve Vai instrumental thing, maybe? *Shrugs*

Wouldn't be opposed to some fun dorky Top 40 pop stuff either, so long as they don't take it too far with the "wink wink 90s" stuff, Spice Girls or whatever would feel a little too far in that "maaaan, stuff was so lame back then" direction.

I think they could give her pop music tastes. It has to be stuff that was typical of the 90s sounds. But AOR was quite common then as well.

I think she could easily be into REM.

I don't think metal really typifies the 90s sounds that much.

In The Martian, they had the disco soundtrack which they justified by saying it was all music that belonged to Jessica Chastain which Matt Damon was stuck with. He often pointed out her cheesy tastes in music.

I think they do need some Top 40 stuff. People remember these things from the 90s and having it play in the movie will bring back a sense of nostalgia and will make them love it more.

Last edited:
REM seems about as anti "military person" as it gets, though, sonically. :oldrazz: They're a bunch of wuss-rock indie guys indulging in experimentation on the college circuit before blowing up big.

And yeah, it should definitely be radio music, songs people have heard. I guess I just question whether...girl-groups barely known outside of Britain like ****ing...Steps and Bewitched is the way to go. :woot:

As for the metal thing, you definitely wouldn't want to go too intense, cookie-monster vocals stuff. But culturally, I guess it depends when in the 90s they set it. Metal wasn't much of a thing in the late 90s, rap-rock stuff aside, but Metallica and Megadeth and Pantera and stuff were all pretty huge for the first half, two-thirds of the decade.

Just seems to me Carol's a bit of an extroverted, tomboy, fight-not-flight type of individual. Spice Girls or whatever is totally fine for some on-the-radio-in-the-background winky joke thing, but I have a hard time buying it's the sort of stuff Carol effin' Danvers would personally be listening to on her down-time on base or whatever.

We need to get some Montell Jordan and Bell Biv Devoe on the soundtrack.

My only regret is that 94 would be too soon for No Scrubs by TLC.

REM seems about as anti "military person" as it gets, though, sonically. :oldrazz: They're a bunch of wuss-rock indie guys indulging in experimentation on the college circuit before blowing up big.

And yeah, it should definitely be radio music, songs people have heard. I guess I just question whether...girl-groups barely known outside of Britain like ****ing...Steps and Bewitched is the way to go. :woot:

As for the metal thing, you definitely wouldn't want to go too intense, cookie-monster vocals stuff. But culturally, I guess it depends when in the 90s they set it. Metal wasn't much of a thing in the late 90s, rap-rock stuff aside, but Metallica and Megadeth and Pantera and stuff were all pretty huge for the first half, two-thirds of the decade.

Just seems to me Carol's a bit of an extroverted, tomboy, fight-not-flight type of individual. Spice Girls or whatever is totally fine for some on-the-radio-in-the-background winky joke thing, but I have a hard time buying it's the sort of stuff Carol effin' Danvers would personally be listening to on her down-time on base or whatever.

The thing is that because they cast Brie Larson, she doesn't really seem very tough at all. She seems more goofy and silly, as if she would listen to cheesy music. They could make a joke about that.

Zombie by The Cranberries or for ultimate irony, It Only Takes a Minute by Take That.

Zoommm-BBIIIIE-AAA-AAA-AAA-AA-AA-AA-OOHHH-OHHH-OOHH-OOOHH--AAAAA-AAAA-AAAA-AAA-AAAAAAAA...

Etc.

After the boys got AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Soundgarden and Foo Fighters Cpt Marvel needs some good 90's rock songs! Pop won't be suitable for kicking Skrulls a$$ scenes :D

After the boys got AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Soundgarden and Foo Fighters Cpt Marvel needs some good 90's rock songs! Pop won't be suitable for kicking Skrulls a$$ scenes :D

Yeah but none of those films were tied into a specific era.

If you have only rock, then it may not capture the spirit of the sounds of the 90s.

I'd love to see her kicking some arse to Headshrinker by Oasis.

Here's my list. I used 1996 as my cutoff (as much as I really, really want to include Superman's Dead by Our Lady Peace):

I'll start with girl groups/girl singers:

I've said before that Cannonball by The Breeders should start the movie:

Wannabe - Spice Girls is a no-brainer

I also think Just a Girl by No Doubt is also a gimmie:

50ft Queenie by PJ Harvey:

Zombie - Cranberries (RIP)

For non-girl music, there's:
Champagne Supernova - Oasis

and

Everybody Hurts - R.E.M.

I forgot about No Doubt.

Why is 1996 your cut-off date?

I don't know if Wannabe would be the best fit for the film. It might be the most well-known and first single of the Spice Girls, but sometimes picking the most famous one isn't always best for a soundtrack.

Maybe "Stop" might fit in better?

This was one of the Spice Girls only #2 singles that failed to get to #1. But it's probably one of their most well known and most loved after all these years compared to some of the other ones that got the top spot.

Or "Who do you think you are?"

I suppose there is some Whitney Houston from the very early 90s. Oh and Bryan Adams too.

Last edited:
I am just wondering if Nick Fury will go with Gangsta Rap or Old School R&B and maybe some Jazz to throw a curve at us.

If they don't include the spice girls then I'm calling the police.

I've always wanted a superhero film to replicate the Vogue segment from the devil wears prada

Boyz II Men
Marky Mark - Good Vibrations
Blur - Song 2
Oasis - Wonderwall
Montell Jordan - This Is How We Do It
TLC - Waterfalls

Yes to the Breeders starting the film, that would be amazeballs.

Why is 1996 your cut-off date?

I feel the movie has to be mid-90s and I had to pick a date somewhere. 1996 seemed to get the songs I wanted. That being said, I probably could have picked a dozen or more additional songs and had to stop myself.

I feel the movie has to be mid-90s and I had to pick a date somewhere. 1996 seemed to get the songs I wanted. That being said, I probably could have picked a dozen or more additional songs and had to stop myself.

I don't know if in Guardians they adhere that closely to what was actually around at the time in the 70s. If I recall correctly, some of the songs would've been too late for the time when Quill was abducted.

Most of the Spice Girls is post 1996, but they're probably the biggest band of the 90s.

If Mar-Vell dies, then the song they could have playing for Carol afterwards is "Don't Look Back in Anger" by Oasis.

If they don't include the spice girls then I'm calling the police.

I've always wanted a superhero film to replicate the Vogue segment from the devil wears prada

Not including the Spice Girls would be like having a 60s soundtrack but not including the Beatles.

Last edited:
I don't know if in Guardians they adhere that closely to what was actually around at the time in the 70s. If I recall correctly, some of the songs would've been too late for the time when Quill was abducted.

All of the songs predate when he was abducted. He states explicitly that they were songs his mom listened to.

The only thing I don't like about the 90's setting is that it rules out this song as a possibility(it's from 2001)... I can't really explain why, but it has always made me think of Carol. Ah well... perhaps the sequel.

[YT]wxnfC4Qig_Q[/YT]

All of the songs predate when he was abducted. He states explicitly that they were songs his mom listened to.

No. I meant some of the songs might have come out later than when he was abducted, making them anachronistic. I seem to recall reading that about one of the songs at least.

If they pre-dated him, there's no problem with that. If you have a collection of music from the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s in the mid 1990s, then that's perfectly feasible. However, if you have something from 1999 or the 2000s while in the mid nineties, then you must be a time traveller.

No. I meant some of the songs might have come out later than when he was abducted, making them anachronistic. I seem to recall reading that about one of the songs at least.

If they pre-dated him, there's no problem with that. If you have a collection of music from the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s in the mid 1990s, then that's perfectly feasible. However, if you have something from 1999 or the 2000s while in the mid nineties, then you must be a time traveller.
Just looked and the "newest" songs from both the GOTG films are "Surrender" by Cheap Trick and "Mr. Blue Sky" by Electric Light Orchestra, both of which were released in June 1978 (well before Quill was taken in 1988.)

"Two Princes" by Spin Doctors playing during a montage when Carol is figuring out how to use her powers is a must.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"