90s music you'd like to hear in the movie

I went through most of this thread and didn't see this one. It is from 1997 so likely doesn't work in the time frame but it is catchy and it rocks.

Also this one from 1996 (warning do not watch this video if you may be epileptic):

More early 90's time frame specific, I think (as someone mentioned) something from the Metallica Black album could really work. Also some AC/DC would rock too.

I’ve added these too

Can definitely get on board the idea of something from Metallica's Load/Reload albums in this, Moridin, especially if this majority-1998 setting speculation is legit. :)

Never hated those albums in the slightest the way most people seem to. Some of it's probably nostalgia, right in that sweet-spot period musically when growing up, but they're legitimately badass albums. Just not the thrash stuff people expect from them. Really cool heavy blues quality to them.

Nothing actually, my choices will only be awkward and probably feel mostly disjointed from the story and characters.

That’s ok, it’s all just a bit of fun.

I love the nine inch nails suggestion by the way, it’s fitted in so well

The NIN thing's interesting. Clearly her wearing the shirt doesn't remotely mean we're getting music by the band for the licensed songs, of course, but it's intriguing trying to figure out what Carol might be a fan of here.

It can't be anything any later than The Fragile (at the very latest), most likely before, and that 1992 EP and 1994 album are pretty honkin' dark/intense. Something like "Last" off Broken could convey that early-90s angst pretty well (and was already used in the credits for Joss's The Cabin In The Woods) to great effect), but it does come off a little teeth-gritting angry for Carol. That whole EP basically does. Awesomely rockin' track though, man I miss the sound of those dirtier 90s synths compared to how "clean" all electronic music seems now.

[youtube]

"Wish" would be pretty badass too, they'd have to censor the cussing example though. Energetic song as it gets, and honestly one of the most intense music videos ever.

[youtube]

"Happiness In Slavery", could also be a possibility. Again, dark as hell though, the whole NIN thing is sort of surprising given Carol seems a little "brighter" a person than Trent music though. Still, very welcome.

[youtube]

As for stuff off 1994's The Downward Spiral, I don't know. "Piggy" doesn't sound like it'd fit, but somehow that track just screams "alternative 90s" to be. Moreso sonically than lyrically though.

[youtube]Nine Inch Nails - Piggy

Might be able to do something with "Eraser", as an almost-entirely-instrumental kind of dealio.

watch

[youtube]Nine Inch Nails - Eraser

There were some non-album singles and stuff to work with too, but most of them already attached to movies.

NIN's such a weird one. Love Trent's music with a passion and they fit the era to a tee, but as far as stuff a straight-laced optimistic type like Carol would be blasting in her downtime... :confused: Well, **** it, I'm in anyway.

EDIT: Random thought regarding all the Terminator 2 stuff the producers are talking about: Robert Patrick, the T-1000's younger brother Richard Patrick was the Nine Inch Nails guitarist back in the early days, those first few albums. :)

EDIT 2: Weird, embedding Youtube links is pretty consistent. Some work fine with the [ youtube ] and [ / youtube ] thing, others less so. Meh, oh well.

Last edited:
EDIT: Weird, embedding Youtube links is pretty consistent. Some work fine with the [ youtube ] and [ / youtube ] thing, others less so. Meh, oh well.
No more tags necessary, my friend! Just post the full YT link in the post and you’re good to go.

Also, Carol is far from a happy optimist, especially in her youth. This is a girl who came from an alcoholic (possibly abusive) household, pretty much said “**** you” to her parents and disowned them the day she turned 18, after they refused to pay for her to go to college. I’d say NIN are definitely right in her wheelhouse. And I also think she’s had that shirt since the early 90’s portion of the film, so I’m holding out hope we’re getting something from Pretty Hate Machine. “Head Like a Hole” would be awesome to hear in this, IMO.

Random songs to include - Semi charmed life by third eye blind at some point at maybe some comedic sequence

NWA - &$@“ the police

Beastie Boys - Intergalactic

Remixed Cruel Summer

Barenaked ladies - One week

Jay Z - Hard knock life

The Verve - Bittersweet symphony

Fatboy slim - Rockafellar skank

I added suicide blonde to the playlist.

Now that we know all the skrulls sound like Australians we need Aussie rock and inxs is perfect. If you listen to it, it sounds like the skrulls telling stories of past battles particularly one terrifying encounter with one blond human they’re all no doubt going to s*** their pants over

INXS were legitimately pretty awesome. Honestly probably the last "real" rock band come to think of it, given they lasted longer than Guns N' Roses.

But yeah, as far as Australian stuff, AC~DC's kinda taken by ol' Tony Stank. :) INXS would be the obvious alternative.

As far as that similar type of stuff, I was kinda thinkin' Roxette a while back, might fit really well. Go all Swede-y with this, 'cause reasons. Doesn't mesh so well if the majority of this really is '98 though. Could be right at home in a 1992 scene though, for something bright & melodic & radio-rock-y.

Also this one from 1996 (warning do not watch this video if you may be epileptic):

More early 90's time frame specific, I think (as someone mentioned) something from the Metallica Black album could really work. Also some AC/DC would rock too.

Republica could work. How about this one too?

I've redone some of the old videos in this thread after the codes no longer worked from the forum update.

I know, this thread is such a great one for jukebox ideas

If the Skrulls are Australian, then we definitely need Kylie and Dannii Minogue now. And Jason Donovan. Unfortunately he probably didn't have many hits in the 90s, if any at all. His music career probably stalled by then.

Here's one from Kylie. Her 90s hits aren't quite as good as her 80s or 2000s ones though.

And here's one from 1990 itself, which would actually be appropriate for the whole time travel aspect

No let him speak! I’m still of the opinion Minerva is based on Kylie’s impossible princess era and her music is the perfect score for a fun flick set in the ‘90s! Too perfect!

I don’t reckon either Kylie or dannii are skrulls though. I fully attribute the reason why Kylie never made it big in the US is skrull intervention. They knew she was too big a threat.

No let him speak! I’m still of the opinion Minerva is based on Kylie’s impossible princess era and her music is the perfect score for a fun flick set in the ‘90s! Too perfect!

I don’t reckon either Kylie or dannii are skrulls though. I fully attribute the reason why Kylie never made it big in the US is skrull intervention. They knew she was too big a threat.

Kylie likes to make these short cameos in movies which seem to have no apparent reason for her being there. She turned up in San Andreas and died a horrible death. She could easily appear in Captain Marvel. But they would have to digitally de-age her to 90s Kylie, which they should totally do. Since they're already splashing out money in that regard, what's a few extra dollars?

And we need fun 90s music rather than something like Grunge. I think Grunge would be the most un-fun choice to pick.

The Skrulls certainly will prefer Australian pop stars to Grunge. Was that ever big in Australia?

Here's a great one by Kylie from 1992

They could play this when Carol sees through the disguises of the Skrulls. She could say "What kind of fool do you take me for?"

Grunge was big everywhere, basically, for 4 years or so. You guys even had the bratty Nirvana Jr, Muppet Babies Cobain guys, in Silverchair. :oldrazz: Pretty sure Pearl Jam were mega-huge down there even compared to here too, and when I lived there all the rock kids were pretty much obsessed with the band Live. You're not all sunshine & lollipops, Crocodile Dundees can be depressing too. :D

As for "un-fun", well, we've already seen Carol sporting a Nine Inch Nails shirt, so...

Haha. Seems she's at least got a partial "making teenagers depressed is like shooting fish in a barrel" (oh, Simpsons, you rule) side to her.

giphy.gif

c1pGnYn.gif

Guns 'N Roses are admittedly way more of a good-time party band, but still. I'd kinda have trouble reconciling someone who loves those two groups also blasting...Kylie Minogue or the Macarena in her down time. :funny:

As far as "90s kid", it's just seeming ol' MCU Danvers is a little more this:

NIN-Cultice-009.jpg

Than this:

s-club-7-reunion-406298.jpg

Both legitimately "90s up the wazoo" but pretty much diametrically-opposed and never-the-two-shall-meet. Arch enemmmiiieeeesss.

I don't see a problem with her liking Kylie or the Macarena, or even B*witched. People don't just like one style of music but can have very eclectic tastes.

In "The Martian", Jessica Chastain was a serious astronaut but she had these very questionable music tastes that Matt Damon was forced to listen to when she left her music collection behind on Mars and he had nothing else. There was stuff like Abba, Donna Summer, and many other things you might think a mature woman in her 30s who is an astronaut shouldn't be still listening to. But she did.

I think Carol can have a varied music collection. And the Skrulls could have adopted some music too when they've observed human culture. The Macarena could be a dance that the Skrulls do.

We really need a song like this for a cosmic movie:

I guess everybody's posting videos so:

Somebody mentioned Roxette, but I liked the Primatives more, and "Crash" could fit in a movie with jets:

I also prefered Elastica to Republica

Also, if parts of the movie are set in the mid-90s, then some ska, punk, or ska-punk would be appropriate(even though many of these bands started in the 80's)

Like the Bosstones(from Carol's hometown)

or the Bouncing Souls:

The Bouncing Souls-Fight To Live

or Dance Hall Crashers

Dance Hall Crashers - Enough

These are the kind of fun bands I could see Carol liking from the 90's, not the pop star/idols.

Cake, The Primitives, the Bosstones?!

Now we're talkin'.

Cake's "The Distance" is a little overexposed/overused in media by now, but that's a killer single.

Since the trailer is out Tuesday, predict the song in the trailer. I'm voting for Volcano Girls, but Cannonball and Just a Girl are strong contenders, imo.

I mean, we know Marvel isn't averse to using NIN in their trailers...

:D

Last edited:
Since the trailer is out Tuesday, predict the song in the trailer. I'm voting for Volcano Girls, but Cannonball and Just a Girl are strong contenders, imo.

I’m going to put my credits on nine inch nails or maybe Roxette

Kylie likes to make these short cameos in movies which seem to have no apparent reason for her being there. She turned up in San Andreas and died a horrible death. She could easily appear in Captain Marvel. But they would have to digitally de-age her to 90s Kylie, which they should totally do. Since they're already splashing out money in that regard, what's a few extra dollars?

And we need fun 90s music rather than something like Grunge. I think Grunge would be the most un-fun choice to pick.

The Skrulls certainly will prefer Australian pop stars to Grunge. Was that ever big in Australia?

Here's a great one by Kylie from 1992

They could play this when Carol sees through the disguises of the Skrulls. She could say "What kind of fool do you take me for?"

They won’t need to deage her, she’s ageless like Bowie. I think we should have grunge and pop. Grunge is perfect for the era but people are here for a nice time and there’s no reason to get too downer.

Was grunge ever big in Australia? Huge where I was growing up. But it was a bit working class and grunge was kind of a song of rebellion

Haha, doubt they'll use an NIN track in a trailer again. It'd kinda have to be early NIN timeline wise if this is all pre-99, and that shiz be daaaaark and not a whole lot of "yay, new Marvel movie!" fun. "We're In This Together Now" from Avengers is one of the few promo-friendly Trent tracks, and that post-dates the setting here by a little bit anyway.

Had totally forgotten they used "Love Is Not Enough" from 2005 in the Guardians trailer though. :eek: Coolness.

Silver, grunge was pretty big everywhere between like '91 and '94 until Cobain pulled his little daughter-abandoning trick. From what I know you guys really, really digged your Pearl Jam, and had all that Silverchair shiz everywhere a couple years after grunge was already beginning to die out. Nirvana headlined your first giant modern music festival thing too from memory.

Not that NIN's exactly "grunge", but still. Same era, and all the depressing music of the time got lumped into together among the parental types.

I was thinking the other day, Smashing Pumpkins maybe? Sort of '93-'98 in their prime, same wheelhouse as someone who'd listen to both G'N'R & Nine Inch Nails.

"Bullet With Butterfly Wings" is way too obvious & overexposed, used in everything (from memory wasn't there some alternate version of it in the Rampage trailer recently?), but I could really get on board with something off of Gish or Siamese Dream here. "Rhinocerous" from Gish for something softer/more introspective & relaxing & mellow maybe, Carol in some downtime or taking a walk clearing her head on base or whatever:

Or "Siva" or "I Am One" off the same album for something more of a wall-of-guitar rockin' out thing:

Eeee, that bass tone too. Darcy was one rad female bass player. 3:15 in, yeaahhhh!

Siamese Dream's probably the other big iconic cultural one, before they got a little darker & depressing with the following albums. "Soma" would be another cool option for something softer & dreamlike/flying, would be pretty trippy hearing something like this in her first flying-out-into-space-all-alone-not-even-in-a-damn-spaceship sequence. :funny:

The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream - Soma

"Geek U.S.A." would be pretty great, bright & fun & upbeat type of thing. Those crazy drums from Jimmy, and Billy's weird unique nasal voice.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream - Geek U.S.A.

"Rocket" could also be really, really sweet

The Smashing Pumpkins - Rocket

Plenty of great options with the Pumpkins, they just scream "90s rock" to me maybe more than any other. Miss this type of stuff, and Butch Vig as producer, that "big" guitar sound just isn't around anymre.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"