90s music you'd like to hear in the movie

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by Dark Raven, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

Spice Girls didn't really hit it big until 1996 so it's after the events of CM. The only song that didn't fit that time period was Celebrity Skin.

2. Frodo Registered

Yeah, I got that sense since they tended to lean more into the grunge angsty side of the 90s music than with the female pop singer-songwriter types like Sheryl Crow and Shawn Colvin who were just as huge in the mid nineties.

However, they had mellower tunes like TLC's Waterfalls and Desiree's You Gotta Be. I remember the latter being played on MTV and VH1 constantly around that time and being pretty popular.

The film has been criticized for its use or over use of 90s music but I loved it. I was 16 when the film takes place and I liked those songs even back then so I didn't mind it. A bit of nostalgia for us genXers doesn't hurt:cwink:.

3. Frodo Registered

Yeah. I remember the Spice Girls , at least here in the USA, really didn't hit big until my senior year of High School which was 96-97.

They seemed to be more popular with the boys at my school than the girls. :smgs:

4. Silvermoth Avenger

Well, now the film is out it’s interesting to compare it to the Spotify playlist of music we wanted in the film.

Who suggested I’m just a girl? Gosh that was right on the money. Although I would have loved to see what the same scene looked like with ray of light from Madonna over it

5. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

There was no B*Witched either. I didn't know most of the songs.

6. Tg11 Registered

Whatta Man is my favorite song used in the movie...takes me back to the decade that I grew up in...almost nostalgic in my childhood memories

7. Guard82 Registered

The soundtrack was very good. I especially enjoyed the scene where No Doubt's "Just a Girl" was played.

Webfoot Hero likes this.
  8. kvz5 HBIC

I’m quite happy with the songs they picked although there were some I wished they were able to sneak in like “Zombie”. :D

9. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I needed SOME Cranberries song in there, dammit.

kvz5 likes this.
  10. Heretic Registered

I think the 90's songs were a bit of a weak spot for the movie. When Nirvana played while she confronted the
    Supreme Intelligence
    , I was taken out of the movie because I don't see how Carol would even know that song for it to play in her mind. It's like in Hot Tub Time Machine when they were jamming a Bulletboys song that wasn't out yet during the year they supposedly went back to...it's such a silly minor detail...but one that really should have been checked on by someone.

And Just A Girl seemed to dull the scene it was in. I know it was meant to be a way to make a rather bland scene more fun...but for me the music again pulled me out of the film. It seemed like a song that would play during an earlier scene that didn't matter much and could be played for comedy...and really, considering how powerful she was, maybe it didnt matter much.

11. kvz5 HBIC

Yes! There’s so much to choose from too... Linger, Ode to my Family, Dreams :argh:

flickchick85 likes this.
  12. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I think the playlist we came up with here was better than the actual playlist in the film. There was no sign of the Macarena. Would've been cool to see the Skrulls dancing to this.

13. Smurphftw Loyal and affectionate. Hairy and temperamental

Disappointed that Republica's "Ready To Go" didn't make it into the soundtrack even though it was featured in one of the promos.

14. Frodo Registered

Totally. Linger or Dreams would have worked .

flickchick85 and kvz5 like this.
  15. Tg11 Registered

Definitely needed some Guns n Roses

16. bubbadoom Registered

I guess this observation is better suited here...

Nice sound track - surprised Chumbawamba's Tubthumping was not included..."I get knocked down, but I get up again..."

Dark Raven likes this.
  17. Heretic Registered

It seems like GNR was sold as part of her past...like Lita Ford...and now she's back and it's the 90's. I can see why they showed that stuff as the "before" Carol...and then wanted to keep them in the past to show a passage of time or a change. But...honestly...for the sake of consistency in character...when she regained her memory, she would have still liked hair metal and wouldn't know much about Grunge. The issue there is that they wanted to beat us over the head with "its the 90's" so they needed her to immediately embrace the trends of that era.

18. Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

I was glad to hear "Man on the Moon", not because I'm overly found of the song, but because it indirectly makes Andy Kaufman part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

19. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

That would've been a suitable song. The soundtrack left a lot of classics out.

20. Kane52630 TELEVISION RULES THE NATION

Felt pretty disappointed they didn't use a single NIN song despite her outfit.

21. Drizzle There's no knowing where we're rowing

I agree. Hearing "You Could Be Mine" while she was on the motorcycle would have been a great T2 reference also.

Overall I liked the soundtrack. I preferred the more plot-driven song choices of the GOTG films though. It was also interesting that "Celebrity Skin" was the credits song even though it came out in '98.

Tg11 likes this.
  22. Tg11 Registered

That would have been more badass

23. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

Does somebody have a list of the 90's songs that were used in the movie?
    Cuz I'd love to come up with alternative songs they should've used instead

Some that spring to mind would be:
    Nirvana's Territorial Pissings replacing> Just a Girl
    The Breeders Cannonball replacing> Come As You Are
    Beck's Loser replacing> Whatta Man

Drizzle's idea of You Could be Mine instead of the Garbage song is also solid^^^

The musical choices in this were extraordinarily lazy, probably my least favorite thing about the film

24. kvz5 HBIC

Captain Marvel Tracklist: Every Single 90's Song in Captain Marvel

25. HeyBear Evil Master of Odors

kvz5 likes this.