Best Actress
Lupita Nyong’o

Best Director
Quentin Tarantino

Best Supporting Actor
Brad Pitt

Best Supporting Actress
Annette Bening

After Malek got an Oscar, it’d be a pretty damn glaring omission if Egerton isn’t nominated.

After Malek got an Oscar, it’d be a pretty damn glaring omission if Egerton isn’t nominated.

I agree. Although Malek did a really great job I kiiiinda want to say Egerton was a tad better as far as embracing the role. Not by much though.

When it comes to doing biopics you're kinda damned if you do or don't. You don't wanna do an impersonation yet if you go too far off and it's nothing like the person at all you still get lambasted.

I agree. Although Malek did a really great job I kiiiinda want to say Egerton was a tad better as far as embracing the role. Not by much though.

I think Egerton’s material is also a little more unabashed and goes a little deeper into some stuff.

Oscars: 31 Upcoming Films That Could Enter the Awards Race

July
“Once Upon A Time … in Hollywood” (Quentin Tarantino; Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt; Sony)
“The Lion King” (Jon Favreau; Beyonce, Donald Glover; Disney)

August
“After the Wedding” (Bart Freundlich; Julianne Moore, Michelle Williams: Sony Pictures Classics)
“Brian Banks” (Tom Shadyac; Aldis Hodge, Greg Kinnear; Bleecker Street)
“Official Secrets” (Gavin Hood; Keira Knightley, Matthew Goode; IFC Films)

September
“The Goldfinch” (John Crowley; Nicole Kidman, Sarah Paulson, Ansel Elgort; Warner Bros.)
“Downton Abbey” (Michael Engler; writer Julian Fellowes; Focus)
“Ad Astra” (James Gray; Brad Pitt; Fox)

October
“Jojo Rabbit” (Taika Waititi; Scarlett Johansson, Roman Griffin Davis; Fox Searchlight)
“Woman in the Window” (Joe Wright; Amy Adams; Fox)
“Gemini Man” (Ang Lee; Will Smith; Paramount)
“Joker” (Todd Phillips; Joaquin Phoenix; Warner Bros.)

November
“Motherless Brooklyn” (Edward Norton; Bruce Willis; Warner Bros.)
“The Good Liar” (Bill Condon; Helen Mirren, Ian McKellen; Warner Bros.)
“Burden” (Andrew Heckler; Garrett Hedlund; 101 Studios)
“Knives Out” (writer-director Rian Johnson; Daniel Craig; Lionsgate)

December
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” (J.J. Abrams; Disney/Lucasfilm)
“1917” (Sam Mendes; Richard Madden, George MacKay; Amblin, Universal)

Release date TBA
“A Hidden Life” (Terrence Malick; Fox Searchlight)
“Against All Enemies” (Benedict Andrews; Kristen Stewart as Jean Seberg; Amazon)
“Frankie” (Ira Sachs; Isabelle Huppert, Marisa Tomei; SPC)
“The King” (Joel Edgerton; Timothee Chalamet; Netflix)
“The Last Thing He Wanted” (Dee Rees; Anne Hathaway; Netflix)
“Les Miserables” (Ladj Ly; Amazon)
“The Lighthouse” (Robert Eggers; Willem Dafoe, Robert Pattinson; A24)
“Lucy in the Sky” (Noah Hawley; Natalie Portman; Fox Searchlight)
“Ordinary Love” (directed by Lisa Barros D’Sa, Glenn Leyburn; stars Liam Neeson, Lesley Manville; Bleecker Street)
“Troop Zero” (Bert & Bertie; Mckenna Grace, Viola Davis; Amazon)
“Uncut Gems” Benny Safdie, Josh Safdie; starring Adam Sandler; A24)
Untitled Noah Baumbach project (Scarlett Johansson, Adam Driver, Laura Dern; Netflix)
Untitled Todd Haynes (with Anne Hathaway, Mark Ruffalo; Focus).

Is ‘Joker’ On The Cards For Venice? Early Buzz Swells Over 2019 Lineup – Deadline
EXCLUSIVE: With Cannes in the rear-view mirror, film industry attention is now turning to the autumn festivals and what titles are shaping up as the ones we’ll be talking about throughout awards season. Having steadily cemented its status as the go-to fall launchpad for awards hopefuls, including three of the last five Best Picture Oscar winners, the Venice Film Festival is currently putting together its 2019 lineup, with the highly-anticipated reveal set for July 25.

I mean, WB better be sure before pulling the trigger on that. Venice is a whole different crowd and if Joker is even the slightest bit polarizing, they'll eat it alive over there.

I mean, WB better be sure before pulling the trigger on that. Venice is a whole different crowd and if Joker is even the slightest bit polarizing, they'll eat it alive over there.

I can't remember but is Venice the festival where the crowd can be highly unprofessional and actually "boo" movies? I remember there is a festival where the members can be downright d****s.

That would be Cannes film festival. Venice folks are far more polite and more open to mainstream flicks in recent years. I would call them less snobbish.

Dates for upcoming big film festivals where some of the oscar contenders might premiere.

Venice International Film Festival - August 28th - September 7th
Toronto International Film Festival - September 5th - September 15th

Movies that debuted in these festivals and went on to win academy awards.

VIFF - Gravity, La La Land, The Shape of Water, Roma...
TIFF - Slumdog Millionaire, 12 Years a Slave, Room, Green Book, Free Solo...

Last edited:
I saw Last Black Man in San Francisco yesterday and I for sure think it should get some nods. A really beautiful film. And it has that race factor that'll make Academy members better when they vote for it.

At the least it deserves best original screenplay (or best adapted. the story is semi autobiographical so I'm not sure) and Jonathan Majors really deserves a Best Supporting Actor nom.

With Marriage Story's trailer coming out, I wonder which Driver performance gets the most push? That or The Report.

JMzGN1r.jpg

Last edited:
I really want The Lighthouse to happen (at least for Dafoe and/or Pattinson), but I just know that it won't.

It doesn't involve someone dying of cancer or someone gender confused or someone living in a small quirky town that just doesn't fit in.

The teaser for The Report looks great! I'm being blessed this fall/winter as a Driver fan. :funny:

For someone who doesn't like Adam Driver (found his presence in Star Wars and Silence to be irritating), I'm eagerly anticipating The Report and Marriage Story

Dude is a good actor people just get put off by his roles from Girls and Star Wars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"