93rd Annual Academy Awards

I'm glad they're being forced to pick 10 movies. Having 8 or 9 nominees always drove me insane. Just pick 10.

Motion Picture Academy Invites 819 New Members, Surpasses Five Year Diversity Goal, Vows To Advance Inclusion – Deadline

The org touts invites that are comprised of 49% international, 45% women, and 36% underrepresented ethnic/racial. 68 countries are repped on the list that includes such actors as Roma best actress nominee Yalitza Aparicio, Awkwafina, Zendaya Coleman, Harriet double nominee Cynthia Erivo, Eva Longoria, John David Washington, Little Women Supporting nominee Florence Pugh, Olivia Wilde, and no less than five South Korean stars from the most recent Best Picture winner Parasite. Among director invitees are Lulu Wang, Matt Reeves, and Ari Aster. The Executives lineup includes new Warner Bros chief Ann Sarnoff , and Amazon’s Jennifer Salke among others. Ryan Murphy is invited into the Producers branch along with others including 2019 Best Picture nominees Shannon McIntosh , Pippa Harris, and Parasite Oscar winner Kwak Sin-Ae. Such directing/writer newcomers like Mati Diop (Atlantics) and Ladj Ly (Les Miserables) got invites to both branches. Of note Cannes Film Festival topper Thierry Fremaux is among those listed as new Members-At-Large.

d6fc8d39cef5ad43aaaa56c71800765735e04c81.jpg
This is looking more like a reality every month. :o

Clean sweep for Mank.

Clean sweep for Mank.
At the very least it's got "Da 5 Bloods" to contend with. And hopefully "First Cow" will find deserved attention. Plus "Bad Education" should be eligible under the temporary rule-change to allow for non-theatrical films. So that's four. And honestly, "The Invisible Man" is worthy of some noms (And maybe a win for Moss). People acting like it's going to be "Sonic" vs. "Bad Boys" haven't really been paying attention.

Plus "Bad Education" should be eligible under the temporary rule-change to allow for non-theatrical films.

It won't be eligible. Non-theatrical films can only be nominated for Oscars if they were initially supposed to be released in theaters. Bad Education was never intended to have a theatrical release.

Delroy Lindo should be a frontrunner for Best Actor
The argument can be made that he's the "lead" perspective, but Da 5 Bloods is an ensemble film through and through. I can see a nomination happening for sure, given the situation this year, but it doesn't strike me as a winning type of performance in this category. Historically, this award goes to true lead roles that are clear center stage. The most recent exception I can think of is Anthony Hopkins for Silence of the Lambs in the 1990's.

Anthony Hopkins is getting raves for The Father, and Matt Damon has a transformative role in Stillwater. My money's on one of those two. Selfishly I'd like Oldman to win #2, but he just won 3 years ago and I doubt they'll be in a rush to give him another one so soon (if at all).

Last edited:
Will next year's Oscars include films that weren't released in theatres but on other platforms like Netflix? Or will it be strictly limited to theatrical releases? Because if so, there won't be a lot of choice.

Will next year's Oscars include films that weren't released in theatres but on other platforms like Netflix? Or will it be strictly limited to theatrical releases? Because if so, there won't be a lot of choice.
They're making exceptions this year. Stream-only films are allowed.

Last edited:
To achieve Standard A, the film must meet ONE of the following criteria:

At least one of the lead actors or significant supporting actors is from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group.

At least 30% of all actors in secondary and more minor roles are from at least two of the following underrepresented groups:
• Women
• Racial or ethnic group
• LGBTQ+
• People with cognitive or physical disabilities, or who are deaf or hard of hearing

The main storyline(s), theme or narrative of the film is centered on an underrepresented group(s).
• Women
• Racial or ethnic group
• LGBTQ+
• People with cognitive or physical disabilities, or who are deaf or hard of hearing

So would this disqualify a film like 1917 or Cast Away immediately?

Will this solve the problem? Maybe. Maybe not. But it's a bold step, and I'm glad to see they're at least trying to take some initiative. Hopefully it works as planned and we see more of this.

This could also back fire because its not about the best of the best & merit anymore. The Oscars will be nothing more than a participation trophy

Will this solve the problem? Maybe. Maybe not. But it's a bold step, and I'm glad to see they're at least trying to take some initiative. Hopefully it works as planned and we see more of this.

It won't work. It failed with the BAFTAS, it will fail here. You're now asking for a set number of people to be hired one way or another based on criteria other than there how good they are. On top of that, they are getting themselves into a very ridiculous situation trying to argue that a foreign film like Parasite from Korea is going to be held to different standards to one from Britain, Ireland or France. What could possibly go wrong? :funny:

This could also back fire because its not about the best of the best & merit anymore. The Oscars will be nothing more than a participation trophy

lol

The requirements are so small, that it shouldn't have an effect. If those requirements are so egregious to your artistic freedom, then your film would have had issues anyway, because it was racist.

lol

The requirements are so small, that it shouldn't have an effect. If those requirements are so egregious to your artistic freedom, then your film would have had issues anyway, because it was racist.

Precisely.

Hollywood has been prejudiced and tone deaf for decades, so I guess this will be a shock to the system for some.

lol

Its just as racist & sexist hiring based off of skin color & requirements for a shot at an award & not because someone was the best for the job. This whole thing reeks of racism & sexism. Fighting it with it is not the way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"