96th Annual Academy Awards

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
p1ctfe4.jpg

After that near-perfect Oscars night, it's time to move forward and see what's coming up next year.

Here are some noteworthy movies coming this year with potential Oscar buzz:

Killers of the Flower Moon
Members of the Osage tribe in the United States are murdered under mysterious circumstances in the 1920s sparking a major F.B.I. investigation involving J. Edgar Hoover.
Director: Martin Scorsese
Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Jesse Plemons, Robert De Niro, Lily Gladstone, Brendan Fraser, John Lithgow

Oppenheimer
The story of American scientist J. Robert Oppenheimer and his role in the development of the atomic bomb.
Director: Christopher Nolan
Cast: Cillian Murphy, Emily Blunt, Matt Damon, Robert Downey Jr., Gary Oldman, Josh Peck, Jack Quaid

Barbie
To live in Barbie Land is to be a perfect being in a perfect place. Unless you have a full-on existential crisis. Or you're a Ken.
Director: Greta Gerwig
Cast: Margot Robbie, Ryan Gosling, Helen Mirren, Simu Liu, Ariana Greenblatt, Will Ferrell

Beau Is Afraid
A decades-spanning portrait of one of the most successful entrepreneurs of all time.
Director: Ari Aster
Cast: Joaquin Phoenix, Parker Posey, Amy Ryan, Michael Gandolfini, Nathan Lane

Dune: Part Two
A boy becomes the Messiah of nomads on a desert planet that has giant worms that protect a commodity called Spice. Spice changes people into travelers, mystics and madmen. What price will he pay to become the new ruler of their universe?
Director: Denis Villeneuve
Cast: Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya, Austin Butler, Florence Pugh, Rebecca Ferguson, Josh Brolin, Dave Bautista

The Killer
An assassin begins to psychologically crack as he develops a conscience, even as his clients continue to demand his skills.
Director: David Fincher
Cast: Michael Fassbender, Tilda Swinton, Charles Parnell, Monique Ganderton

The Iron Claw
Follows the story of the Von Erichs, a dynasty of wrestlers who made a great impact on the sport from the 1960s to the present day.
Director: Sean Durkin
Cast: Zac Efron, Lily James, Harris Dickinson, Jeremy Allen White, Holt McCallany

Poor Things
The film will be a Victorian tale of love, discovery and scientific daring, Poor Things tells the incredible story of Belle Baxter, a young woman brought back to life by an eccentric but brilliant scientist.
Director: Yorgos Lanthimos
Cast: Mark Ruffalo, Emma Stone, Willem Dafoe, Christopher Abbott, Margaret Qualley, Ramy Youssef

Next Goal Wins
Adaptation of the 2014 British soccer documentary which follows Dutch coach Thomas Rongen who attempts the nearly impossible task of turning the American Samoa soccer team from perennial losers into winners.
Director: Taika Waititi
Cast: Elisabeth Moss, Michael Fassbender, Frankie Adams, Rhys Darby

The Color Purple
Musical adaptation of Alice Walker's novel about the life-long struggles of an African American woman living in the south during the early 1900s.
Director: Blitz Bazawule
Cast: Taraji P. Henson, Halle Bailey, Elizabeth Marvel, Aunjanue Ellis, Colman Domingo, Corey Hawkins

Maestro
The complex love of Leonard and Felicia, from the time they met in 1946 at a party and continuing through two engagements, a 25 year marriage, and three children.
Director: Bradley Cooper
Cast: Bradley Cooper, Carey Mulligan, Matt Bomer, Maya Hawke, Sarah Silverman

Rustin
Gay, civil rights activist Bayard Rustin, who organized the 1963 March on Washington.
Director: George C. Wolfe
Cast: Colman Domingo, Jeffrey Wright, Audra McDonald, Bill Irwin

Asteroid City
The itinerary of a Junior Stargazer convention is spectacularly disrupted by world-changing events.
Director: Wes Anderson
Cast: Tom Hanks, Margot Robbie, Hong Chau, Bryan Cranston, Adrien Brody, Scarlett Johansson, Steve Carell, Edward Norton, Tilda Swinton, Willem Dafoe, Jeff Goldblum, Hope Davis, Maya Hawke

Ferrari

The life story of Italian sports car entrepreneur Enzo Ferrari.
Director: Micheal Mann
Cast: Adam Driver, Shailene Woodley, Jack O'Connell, Sarah Gadon, Penélope Cruz

Air

Follows the history of shoe salesman Sonny Vaccaro, and how he led Nike in its pursuit of the greatest athlete in the history of basketball: Michael Jordan.
Director: Ben Affleck
Cast: Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Jason Bateman, Viola Davis, Chris Tucker

The Outrun

Rona, fresh out of rehab, returns to the wild Orkney Islands after more than a decade away. As she reconnects with the dramatic landscape where she grew up, memories of her childhood merge with the more recent challenging events that have set her on the path to recovery.
Director: Nora Fingscheidt
Cast: Saoirse Ronan,Stephen Dillane, Nabil Elouahabi

Past Lives

Nora and Hae Sung, two deeply connected childhood friends, are wrest apart after Nora's family emigrates from South Korea. 20 years later, they are reunited for one fateful week as they confront notions of love and destiny.
Director: Celine Song
Cast: Greta Lee, Teo Yoo, John Magaro

Challengers

Follows three players who knew each other when they were teenagers as they compete in a tennis tournament to be the world-famous grand slam winner, and reignite old rivalries on and off the court.
Director: Luca Guadagnino
Cast: Zendaya, Josh O'Connor, Mike Faist

Leave the World Behind

Family drama based on the upcoming novel by Rumaan Alam.
Director: Sam Esmail
Cast: Julia Roberts, Kevin Bacon, Ethan Hawke, Mahershala Ali

May December

Twenty years after their notorious tabloid romance gripped the nation, a married couple buckles under the pressure when an actress arrives to do research for a film about their past.
Director: Todd Haynes
Cast: Natalie Portman, Charles Melton, Julianne Moore

Magazine Dreams

A Black amateur bodybuilder struggles to find human connection in this exploration of celebrity and violence.
Director: Elijah Bynum
Cast: Jonathan Majors,Harrison Page, Harriet Sansom Harris

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

Miles Morales catapults across the Multiverse, where he encounters a team of Spider-People charged with protecting its very existence. When the heroes clash on how to handle a new threat, Miles must redefine what it means to be a hero.
Directors: Joaquim Dos Santos, Kemp Powers, Justin K. Thompson
Cast: Shameik Moore, Hailee Steinfeld, Oscar Isaac, Jake Johnson

Last edited:
Pulling for one of my Lois Lane candidates to make a splash…

Beau Is Afraid
Civil War
Dune: Part Two
Killers of the Flower Koon
Magazine Dreams
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
Saltburn
Talk to Me
The Front Room
The Killer

Last edited:
Very interested to see how The Color Purple fares - Could build a very strong make-up narrative after the original film got passed over at its ceremony.

Mostly I'm rooting for Colman Domingo to become the first gay man to win for playing a gay character. And to FINALLY see Killers of the Flower Moon.

Call me crazy, but I think Phylicia Rashad deserves a nomination for best supporting actress in Creed III. She was amazing.

Kinda wish they moved it back to late February. Those last two weeks leading up to the Oscars always felt a bit lackluster because you kinda know who wins by then.

2024 Oscars Date Set: See Full Timeline For 96th Annual Academy Awards – Deadline

Here are the key dates for the 2023-24 Oscar season:

Wednesday, November 15: General entry categories submission deadline
Saturday, November 18: Governors Awards
Thursday, December 14: Preliminary voting begins 9 a.m. PT
Monday, December 18: Preliminary voting ends 5 p.m. PT
Thursday, December 21: Oscar Shortlists Announcement
Sunday, December 31: Eligibility period ends
Thursday, January 11: Nominations voting begins 9 a.m. PT
Tuesday, January 16: Nominations voting ends 5 p.m. PT
Tuesday, January 23: Oscar Nominations Announcement
Monday, February 12: Oscar Nominees Luncheon
Thursday, February 22: Final voting begins 9 a.m. PT
Friday, February 23: Scientific and Technical Awards
Tuesday, February 27: Final voting ends 5 p.m. PT
Sunday, March 10: 96th Oscars

The American Graffiti actor then proceeded to defend Laurence Olivier’s performance in the 1965 film Othello, in which Olivier played the Shakespeare lead role in blackface.

“He played a Black man brilliantly,” Dreyfuss told Hoover. “Am I being told that I will never have a chance to play a Black man? Is someone else being told that if they’re not Jewish, they shouldn’t play The Merchant of Venice? Are we crazy? Do we not know that art is art? This is so patronizing. It’s so, it’s so thoughtless, and treating people like children.”
Downright shocking sentiments from the star of Krippendorf’s Tribe.

.... so I think we just found out who that one anonymous Oscar ballot was. :dry:
Oh ****, I forgot about that.

If he’s bold enough to take a “why CAN’T I do blackface??” stance in public, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was talking all that **** on an anonymous ballot.

.... so I think we just found out who that one anonymous Oscar ballot was. :dry:

Oh ****, I forgot about that.

If he’s bold enough to take a “why CAN’T I do blackface??” stance in public, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was talking all that **** on an anonymous ballot.
Entertainment Weekly said:
EW's anonymous Academy voter panel:
The Actor: His performances in critically heralded prestige dramas, biting mainstream thrillers, and on Emmy-winning TV shows have earned this actor consistent acclaim throughout his career.
giphy.gif

Biting
mainstream thrillers? They were practically spelling it out for us!

The Zone of Interest and Anatomy of a Fall seems to be real contenders going into awards season.

As cool as it would be to see Spider-verse nominated, I don’t see it happening. It will win best animated for sure.

As cool as it would be to see Spider-verse nominated, I don’t see it happening. It will win best animated for sure.

In a weaker year, it might be possible, but there's too many heavy-hitters gunning for BP. If Pinocchio didn't make it last year, no way Spider-Verse does.

Anyway, my current money for BP WInner is on The Color Purple - looks amazing so far and has the perfect narrative of the prior adaptation's empty-handed ceremony being one of the most infamous "mistakes" of the Academy's history.

After seeing Spider-Verse 2, it's definitely the front-runner for Best Animated. I'm not sure about Best Pic unless it gets the same popular boost as Top Gun Mav.

The HFPA is dead.

Dick Clark Productions, Eldridge Acquire Golden Globes, HFPA Assets - Variety

Big changes are afoot for the Golden Globe Awards now that Dick Clark Productions and Todd Boehly’s Eldridge have acquired the assets of the awards from the nonprofit Hollywood Foreign Press Association, which will shutter as the Globes franchise moves into a new era.

The new owners will use the assets and the cash on hand from the HFPA to establish the Golden Globe Foundation, which will continue on the HFPA’s tradition of charitable giving. The awards show itself and related assets will now be part of the for-profit operations of Dick Clark Productions, which has long been allied with the HFPA for the awards show. The move out of the HFPA’s nonprofit status will allow the Globes to pursue many more commercial opportunities than were possible under the HFPA regime.

Interesting development. Hopefully they will be more open and honest about the diversity of its voting members

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"