96th Annual Academy Awards

And once again, I don't mind him hosting even though he's obviously a safe choice.

THR's roundtables are back.

THR’s Oscar roundtables will air as Off Script With The Hollywood Reporter on AMC’s SundanceTV channel on Sundays from Dec. 31 through Jan. 14. Look for the complete roundtable videos on THR.com/Roundtables and YouTube after broadcast.

8RIHGnE.jpg

And once again, I don't mind him hosting even though he's obviously a safe choice.
Unpopular opinion: I like Kimmel as a host. This bit from his first time hosting was good.

It's really no surprise they keep going back to him because he's ABC's in-house host but I'd still love to see Conan O'Brien have a shot at hosting it although it's not very likely to happen.

Kimmel is fine, but I wish we'd just move away from hosts for these awards shows. We've seen how shows can work without them.

You want an unsafe choice? I’ll give you an unsafe choice…

I'd watch. The ratings would go through the roof if he hosted! Heck, I'm sure we'd be unable to tell if he was hosting the Oscars or just another episode of his show.

Eric Andre hosting would be no more outlandish than that time James Franco co-hosted stoned out of his gourd. :o

Good news for movie buffs based on the East Coast: The 96th Academy Awards, which ABC will broadcast on Sunday, March 10, 2024, will start earlier than any prior edition, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced Thursday.

Rather than starting at 5 p.m. PDT / 8 p.m. EDT, as has been the case in recent years, the Oscars ceremony will begin at 4 p.m. PDT / 7 p.m. EDT, following a half-hour pre-show. The telecast’s targeted — but rarely met — length is three to three-and-a-half hours.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the decision was driven by a desire to ensure that the show wraps within primetime hours on the East Coast. In years past, there has been a dropoff in viewership as the evening progressed, particularly on the earlier coast, given that most people have to get up for work the following morning.

ACTORS ON ACTORS Season 19 premieres next week. These are the pairings:
Robert Downey Jr. + Mark Ruffalo
Cillian Murphy + Margot Robbie
Emily Blunt + Anne Hathaway
Rachel Zegler + Halle Bailey
Emma Stone + Bradley Cooper
Jeffrey Wright + Taraji P. Henson
Michael Fassbender + Carey Mulligan
Jacob Elordi + Colman Domingo
Natalie Portman + Paul Mescal
Andrew Scott + Greta Lee
Alden Ehrenreich + Da'Vine Joy Randolph
Annette Bening + Julianne Moore
Beginning December 4, tune in every day for new conversations.

afjxdyP.jpg

Best Film: “Killers of the Flower Moon” (Apple Original Films/Paramount Pictures)

Best Director: Christopher Nolan, “Oppenheimer” (Universal Pictures)

Best Actor: Franz Rogowski, “Passages” (Mubi)

Best Actress: Lily Gladstone, “Killers of the Flower Moon” (Apple Original Films/Paramount Pictures)

Best Supporting Actor: Charles Melton, “May December” (Netflix)

Best Supporting Actress: Da’Vine Joy Randolph, “The Holdovers” (Focus Features)

Best Screenplay: “May December” (Netflix) — Samy Burch, Alex Mechanik

Best Animated Film: “The Boy and the Heron” (GKids)

Best Cinematography: “Oppenheimer” (Universal Pictures) — Hoyte van Hoytema

Best First Film: “Past Lives” (A24) — dir. Celine Song

Best International: “Anatomy of a Fall” (Neon) — dir. Justine Triet

Best Non-Fiction Film: “Menus-Plaisirs-Les Troisgros” (Zipporah Films) — dir. Frederick Wiseman

I wonder if that improves KOTFM's chances at a Best Picture win at the Oscars at all. Looking at the list of previous winners from the NYFCC awards, the last time the Best Film winner went on to win Best Picture was The Artist 12 years ago.

It's also obvious New York Film Critics Awards gave it to KOTFM because of the Robert De Niro (and Scorsese) connection. He runs the Tribeca Film Festival.

Wow, Nolan came out on top with his sworn enemies, the NY Film Critics :joking:.

To me that's an indicator of how serious a contender Oppenheimer is going to be this year.

It's also obvious New York Film Critics Awards gave it to KOTFM because of the Robert De Niro (and Scorsese) connection. He runs the Tribeca Film Festival.
Ah, makes sense since The Irishman won a few years back. I didn't make that connection.

Anatomy of a Fall pretty much got the Best Foreign film locked even though I thought it was just pretty good in an old-fashioned sense. If anything, Past Lives got a shot in the Best Picture race with Greta Lee possibly getting the best actress nom if they keep rewarding the film.

And the Predicted Nominees Are:

Lily Gladstone — “Killers of the Flower Moon” (Apple Original Films/Paramount Pictures)
Carey Mulligan — “Maestro” (Netflix)
Emma Stone — “Poor Things” (Searchlight Pictures)
Aunjanue Ellis-Taylor — “Origin” (Neon)
Sandra Hüller — “Anatomy of a Fall” (Neon)

Next in Line

Natalie Portman — “May December” (Netflix)
Margot Robbie — “Barbie” (Warner Bros.)
Annette Bening — “Nyad” (Netflix)
Greta Lee — “Past Lives” (A24)
Fantasia Barrino — “The Color Purple” (Warner Bros.)

Da’Vine Joy Randolph — “The Holdovers” (Focus Features)
Emily Blunt — “Oppenheimer” (Universal Pictures)
Danielle Brooks – “The Color Purple” (Warner Bros.)
Penélope Cruz — “Ferrari” (Neon)
Jodie Foster – “Nyad” (Netflix)

Next in Line

America Ferrera — “Barbie” (Warner Bros.)
Julianne Moore — “May December” (Netflix)
Sandra Hüller — “The Zone of Interest” (A24)
Juliette Binoche — “The Taste of Things” (IFC Films/Sapan Studios)
Rachel McAdams — “Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret” (Lionsgate)

Bradley Cooper — “Maestro” (Netflix)
Cillian Murphy — “Oppenheimer” (Universal Pictures)
Paul Giamatti — “The Holdovers” (Focus Features)
Leonardo DiCaprio — “Killers of the Flower Moon” (Apple Original Films/Paramount Pictures)
Colman Domingo — “Rustin” (Netflix)

Next in Line

Jeffrey Wright — “American Fiction” (MGM)
Andrew Scott — “All of Us Strangers” (Searchlight Pictures)
Adam Driver — “Ferrari” (Neon)
Zac Efron — “The Iron Claw” (A24)
Franz Rogowski — “Passages” (Mubi)

Ryan Gosling – “Barbie” (Warner Bros.)
Charles Melton – “May December” (Netflix)
Robert DeNiro – “Killers of the Flower Moon” (Apple Original Films/Paramount Pictures)
Robert Downey Jr. – “Oppenheimer” (Universal Pictures)
Mark Ruffalo – “Poor Things” (Searchlight Pictures)

Next in Line

Holt McCallany — “The Iron Claw” (A24)
Willem Dafoe — “Poor Things” (Searchlight Pictures)
Sterling K. Brown — “American Fiction” (MGM)
Dominic Sessa — “The Holdovers” (Focus Features)
Glenn Howerton — “BlackBerry” (IFC Films)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"