A Harry Potter series for Max: the One to Watch?

writer0327

Sidekick
Reaction score
Looks like WB has signed a new boss to oversee the Wizarding World franchise. I've long felt more attention needed to made toward this franchise that just wasn't there. And this particular snippet from the news should be exciting for Potterheads.

Ascheim also will look to enhance the content universe related to the Wizarding World property for the Studio’s various outlets and platform partners. While Disney has spinoff series on its streaming platform for Star Wars and the Marvel Cinematic Universe, HBO Max would do right to land a Harry Potter spinoff series.

As Disney+ has Marvel and Star Wars, I believe HBO Max absolutely needs a second massive franchise on its platform. They already have DC, this could end up being their #2. Which begs the question...what could they do in terms of TV series within this universe? Marauders? Or something post-Deathly Hallows? Or keep expanding on the MACUSA side of the world? Or a Hogwarts series? A Ministry of Magic series? Or maybe dive into other schools like Durmstrang? Personally I feel they can do more than one series, there's lots of options and opportunities to expand the world beyond Hogwarts and the students. Hopefully they do.

‘Harry Potter’ & Wizarding World Franchise Oversight Goes To Tom Ascheim – Deadline

Oh god...

Frankly, if the new role of "wizarding world oversight" doesn't include "beating Rowling over the head until she ****", then it is a meaningless title.

Honestly, if they're going to go anywhere with the franchise, as far as maybe multiple TV series are concerned, they'll have to pull back from JK Rowling for much of the content creativity. She'll have to take on an oversight role of her own, but not be involved with the minutiae of the scripts. Obviously she would still have control over the larger story.

I enjoyed HP growing up so I'm open to the idea of other projects and tv shows. I haven't been as taken with FB though, I think mostly to do with Yates and his whole bland, grey take on things so I hope they move on from that 'look'.

Maybe it wasn't part of the deal but to this day I am surprised that we've never had a HP (or other Hogwarts spinoff) cartoon. They could do one series per book and it'd give them chance to explore the actual school and lessons and subplots that the films missed out. The world could look amazing in hand drawn colourful animation.

Harry's adventures as an auror could be cool or maybe a type of Ministry of Magic procedural or even a show following everyone's kids at Hogwarts and how they live up to their parents. I also think something based on the founders of each house and how they became the founders and/or the very early days of the houses. "Game of Houses" :D

Last edited:
Life of Dumbledore would have made for such an amazing series, especially the whole Grindelwald saga. It had so much potential in this format.

The are butchering it with the Fatatastic Beasts movies. Those movies should have been about, you know the titular amazing creatures. The only good thing about them is Jude Law's portrayal of Dumbledore.

Apart from that a series set at Hogwarts will be cool. Introduce new characters and stories. But they need to change the atmosphere/look from the movies especially those from Yates. It's too gloomy and bland.

Following Aurors as they track down a bunch of dark wizards could also make for a cool show.

Life of Dumbledore would have made for such an amazing series, especially the whole Grindelwald saga. It had so much potential in this format.

The are butchering it with the Fatatastic Beasts movies. Those movies should have been about, you know the titular amazing creatures. The only good thing about them is Jude Law's portrayal of Dumbledore.

Apart from that a series set at Hogwarts will be cool. Introduce new characters and stories. But they need to change the atmosphere/look from the movies especially those from Yates. It's too gloomy and bland.

Following Aurors as they track down a bunch of dark wizards could also make for a cool show.
I agree, the lighting is very dark and not at all how I feel when reading the novels. They definitely be a better aesthetic.

A new Hogwarts series with new students and new teachers would be incredible.

They need to do this. I don't know what's taken them so long. WB has enough weapons in their arsenal to be way more successful than they are. HP included.

A new series whether it takes place at Hogwarts or another Wizarding School is a great idea on paper.

Only problem is that they don't fully control it.

They need to do this. I don't know what's taken them so long. WB has enough weapons in their arsenal to be way more successful than they are. HP included.

A new series whether it takes place at Hogwarts or another Wizarding School is a great idea on paper.
It's such a big no-brainer, the only reason I can see as to why they haven't done it already is because JK Rowling is putting up road blocks on how much they can really dive into this universe. But as far as a franchises goes, you don't get very much bigger than Harry Potter

I’d like a series set at the American school or one that explores the British Ministry (House of Cards, but a little bit less of a focus on political processes and strategy and a lot a bit more magic and magical catastrophes + situations) would be awesome IMO.

The potential the HP universe has is unlimited. If they could happen upon the right story to tell it could be the Number 1 show on HBO Max and that's saying something given the size of the DC Library.

However I'm not sure now is the right time. Give it a few years and see how HBO Max manages other properties such as DC. Rowling is obviously protective of her universe and I would have some reservations about what a Harry Potter story would be in our current culture.

WB can want to make a Harry Potter spinoff TV show all they want. If Rawlings doesn't want to write such a story, and doesn't want to grant WB the power to have someone else right it, they *can't*. That's kind of the fundamental factor at play here.

They need to find a way to get the franchise away from JK Rowlings. I respect that she made it and it wouldn't be here without her. But it seems that the franchise is really getting held back by her right now.

They need to find a way to get the franchise away from JK Rowlings. I respect that she made it and it wouldn't be here without her. But it seems that the franchise is really getting held back by her right now.
I don't know how the creator is holding back her own property but how and ever.

She clearly got Fantastic Beasts wrong but that doesn't mean the property is better off in the hands of a couple of random suits at WB. Given the amount of work she does on Wizarding World she clearly has ideas for the franchise, she just needs to sit down and figure out what the fans want to see.

I don't know how the creator is holding back her own property but how and ever.

She clearly got Fantastic Beasts wrong but that doesn't mean the property is better off in the hands of a couple of random suits at WB. Given the amount of work she does on Wizarding World she clearly has ideas for the franchise, she just needs to sit down and figure out what the fans want.
A creator can easily hold back their own property. What do you mean? Ridley Scott was holding back Blade Runner from continuing and then Villaneuve came in and made a great movie. Would we have gotten the Mandolorian with George Lucas involved? There are plenty of franchises where the creator moves on and someone else comes in an elevates the material. Sure there are instances of the franchise getting worse but still.

And you contradicted your own point by saying "she just needs to sit down and figure out what the fans want." That's literally holding the franchise back because the franchise is barely moving forward due to waiting on waiting for one person.

An HBO Max series about the Founders of Hogwarts would be everything. Or a show about Tom Riddle and his descent (or progression) into darkness would be cool too, or even something about a group of Aurors.

Jo may not be everyone's cup of tea these days, but I also wouldn't want a Potter spinoff without her at the helm. Just no.

Why would you not want a show without her at the helm. Why?

It has nothing to do with her politics. I and many others were saying it years ago: It's clear from Fantastic Beasts that he best days are behind her. There area myriad of different talented people in Hollywood that can do well with the franchise.

Just because you create something doesn't always mean you're the only person that can do well with it. That's silly

Why would you not want a show without her at the helm. Why?

It has nothing to do with her politics. I and many others were saying it years ago: It's clear from Fantastic Beasts that he best days are behind her. There area myriad of different talented people in Hollywood that can do well with the franchise.

Just because you create something doesn't always mean you're the only person that can do well with it. That's silly

As a writer you have some hits and misses, it's part of the process.

And it's just simple math, if I know the creator/author/head writer/whatever of a franchise is still around and still capable of pulling off a story after he/she crafted a world that we all know and love then yes, I want them to continue writing and pulling out stories from their universe. Why would you want another cook in the kitchen to ruin the flavor?

A creator can easily hold back their own property. What do you mean? Ridley Scott was holding back Blade Runner from continuing and then Villaneuve came in and made a great movie. Would we have gotten the Mandolorian with George Lucas involved? There are plenty of franchises where the creator moves on and someone else comes in an elevates the material. Sure there are instances of the franchise getting worse but still.

And you contradicted your own point by saying "she just needs to sit down and figure out what the fans want." That's literally holding the franchise back because the franchise is barely moving forward due to waiting on waiting for one person.
You seem to think holding back a property means not having a constant stream of films on a conveyor belt. Scott was right to hold back on all the near sequels with Blade Runner because when it finally did happen, we got a film worthy of the legacy. Ditto in regards Lucas; if he was still in charge we wouldn't of had The Mandolorian, but we also wouldn't have the crisis caused by a very confusing trilogy.

As Shinobi said, people can have their failures such as JK did with FB but that doesn't mean the property is better off in the hands of someone else. After all, who understands a universe better than the person who created it? That's not to say other people can't get involved but there's need to push JK out at this point.

As a writer you have some hits and misses, it's part of the process.

And it's just simple math, if I know the creator/author/head writer/whatever of a franchise is still around and still capable of pulling off a story after he/she crafted a world that we all know and love then yes, I want them to continue writing and pulling out stories from their universe. Why would you want another cook in the kitchen to ruin the flavor?
Because it's simple math, sometimes someone else could come in an improve the flavor.

THis isn't like say removing Spielberg from Indiana Jones after Crystal Skull. She's already ruined the first spin off attempt commercially and in a majority of fan's eyes. She posts these weird retcons and new ideas of what happens in the Wizarding World on Twitter that people scratch their head at. She wrote the story and probably had approval of The Cursed Child. Her non HP work was mediocrely received. She's past her prime when it comes to ideas. And Hollywood is rich with people who could improve it.
And even if someone out there makes it worse. How much worse can the franchise get? We're already not getting good spin offs.

Roll the dice. Stop being silly

Because it's simple math, sometimes someone else could come in an improve the flavor.

THis isn't like say removing Spielberg from Indiana Jones after Crystal Skull. She's already ruined the first spin off attempt commercially and in a majority of fan's eyes. She posts these weird retcons and new ideas of what happens in the Wizarding World on Twitter that people scratch their head at. She wrote the story and probably had approval of The Cursed Child. Her non HP work was mediocrely received. She's past her prime when it comes to ideas. And Hollywood is rich with people who could improve it.
And even if someone out there makes it worse. How much worse can the franchise get? We're already not getting good spin offs.

Roll the dice. Stop being silly

I hear you man but dammit this is Harry Potter. Jo may have her quirks and her retcons but her storytelling and her books are dear to my heart. But also this is a billion dollar franchise and productions will be made regardless.

You seem to think holding back a property means not having a constant stream of films on a conveyor belt. Scott was right to hold back on all the near sequels with Blade Runner because when it finally did happen, we got a film worthy of the legacy. Ditto in regards Lucas; if he was still in charge we wouldn't of had The Mandolorian, but we also wouldn't have crisis caused by a very confusing trilogy.

As Shinobi said, people can have their failures such as JK did with FB but that doesn't mean the property is better off in the hands of someone else. After all, who understands a universe better than the person who created it? That's not to say other people can't get involved but there's need to push JK out at this point.
That's not what I'm saying completely. I don't know how you get that.
I'm talking about quality and amount of material. Quality wise and commercially the franchise isn't there. Look at the reception for the two FB movies.

Regarding Blade Runner, exactly we got a film worthy of it's legacy by getting new blood who loved the franchise and saw that he could make a great film in that world. Again you contradicted your point.

Whatever you think of the sequel trilogy a lot, if not a majority of people still think they're better than the prequels. So I don't get what you're trying to say with the Lucas point. That's silly

And Rowling has more than just the failure/mediocrity of FB in her "L" column in recent years.

My point of JK holding the franchise back is that the franchise could be in a way better position than where it is now. And from what I've been reading JK is the one holding it back. Whether it be through her crappy writing or through literally waiting for her to come up with a good idea

I hear you man but dammit this is Harry Potter. Jo may have her quirks and her retcons but her storytelling and her books are dear to my heart. But also this is a billion dollar franchise and productions will be made regardless.
Yeah the books and movies are dear to my heart too. That's why I knew when it's time to move on. She doesn't just have one strike against her, she has like 3-5.
It's not just about "quirks." She's becoming a mediocre to bad storyteller and keeping her on just because she's the creator is stupid. People fade. It happens.

Like the board keeping a founder in place even after he/she keeps running the company into the ground.

All due respect the Rowling, but it's clear to me she doesn't have it anymore. Similar to where George Lucas or imo Akira Toriyama imo. Would love to be proven wrong, but I'm just going off recent history. Pretty much everything after DHPT2 has been :down:

Last edited:
I was actually thinking about a Harry Potter HBO Maxx series the other day. I think if it happens it should take inspiration from The Mandalorian by taking place after their respective original films. Taking place in the past is more restrictive and a post-Deathly Hallows series could take the franchise forward and build hype towards whenever they inevitably do more Harry Potter films with the original cast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"