Legends A New Dawn, by John Jackson Miller

Bim

Superhero
Reaction score
Since this baby was just released, i figure we need a thread for it. I have my kindle version all ready to go :woot:

http://www.randomhouse.com/book/240647/a-new-dawn-star-wars-by-john-jackson-miller

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. . . .

“The war is over. The Separatists have been defeated, and the Jedi rebellion has been foiled. We stand on the threshold of a new beginning.”—Emperor Palpatine

For a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights brought peace and order to the Galactic Republic, aided by their connection to the mystical energy field known as the Force. But they were betrayed—and the entire galaxy has paid the price. It is the Age of the Empire.

Now Emperor Palpatine, once Chancellor of the Republic and secretly a Sith follower of the dark side of the Force, has brought his own peace and order to the galaxy. Peace through brutal repression, and order through increasing control of his subjects’ lives.

But even as the Emperor tightens his iron grip, others have begun to question his means and motives. And still others, whose lives were destroyed by Palpatine’s machinations, lay scattered about the galaxy like unexploded bombs, waiting to go off. . . .

The first Star Wars novel created in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group, Star Wars: A New Dawn is set during the legendary “Dark Times” between Episodes III and IV and tells the story of how two of the lead characters from the animated series Star Wars Rebels first came to cross paths. Featuring a foreword by Dave Filoni.

Can't wait to get my hands on this! My copy should be here next week. Can't wait to discuss.

I've read the first few chapters, hopefully this weekend I can get through it. So far, it's really good.

Yeah, same here. I like what i've read so far :woot:

I'm about 100 pages in so far. I really hope to get done with it in a week or so. Just so busy (little down time with a new puppy). But good stuff, I really like it. It's kinda cool that this book...actually matters. It's full on canon, and "does" happen in the universe.

Not that that takes away from the great work of EU past. But having this part of a single canon is pretty cool.

I finished it yesterday, and i'm sold! Very enjoyable book. I look forward to seeing these characters in action in Rebels.

I dont want to spoil anything for anyone, so for now that's it. Finish reading it so we can talk about it :oldrazz:

No surprise that the small few that pretend to be "big" are going to complain that everything else is no longer canon. I also remember telling long ago the EU would be ejected....

Get over it I say to them.

Glad you liked the book Bim. I'm 150 pages in very good book so far. I just wish I had more time to finish it quicker.

No surprise that the small few that pretend to be "big" are going to complain that everything else is no longer canon. I also remember telling long ago the EU would be ejected....

Get over it I say to them.

It kinda does matter and says a lot if it is indeed said to be the worst selling Star Wars novel ever...

I'm 200 pages in. Loving it so far. Vidian is a bastard, and I like Skelly. LOVING Hera's character. I should be finished by Tuesday or Wednesday. Working two jobs it's hard to fit in, but I make do.

It kinda does matter and says a lot if it is indeed said to be the worst selling Star Wars novel ever...

Uhhh.no it's not.

It does not matter. I love fans like this that think SW will be ruined/do poorly. Who wants to bet Episode VII will do gangbusters? Even though it destroys post Jedi EU?

Last edited:
I'm 200 pages in. Loving it so far. Vidian is a bastard, and I like Skelly. LOVING Hera's character. I should be finished by Tuesday or Wednesday. Working two jobs it's hard to fit in, but I make do.

Ya full time work and a new puppy has made it hard. But I get some time in there.

Love Puppies. I worked with dogs for 10 years before doing desk job work. Puppy is an extra full time job. But SO worth it.

Love Puppies. I worked with dogs for 10 years before doing desk job work. Puppy is an extra full time job. But SO worth it.

Ya, but it is worth it. She is a pure breed, yellow lab, female. Her name is Luna Skywalker Campbell. So SW is in her blood ;)

rbmuQX0.jpg

She's beautiful, and coincidentally, I have an 11 month old pup, who turns 1 Oct 13th who is also named Luna

She's beautiful, and coincidentally, I have an 11 month old pup, who turns 1 Oct 13th who is also named Luna

Are you kidding me? Lol that's awesome! What kind is she? The Force is with the "Luna's".

I will pm you as to not veer this thread to far off topic.

It does not matter. I love fans like this that think SW will be ruined/do poorly. Who wants to bet Episode VII will do gangbusters? Even though it destroys post Jedi EU?

Umm yes it does. Fan reception should be a number one priority.

Yes and most reception has been good. The link you gave was "trolling" fans mad about the EU. They hardly talk about the ACTUAL BOOK. They just gripe about the fact that the EU is ejected....something that I and a little person known as GEORGE LUCAS has said for YEARS. The EU was never to be seen as canon, and don't become attached. He said that again and again and again and again.

Reviews for the ACTUAL BOOK are very good. Because...it's a good book. Fan reception of EU being ejected is only going to effect a small percentage of fans. I'm a massive fan, and could care less about the EU being canon. You can still read the books and enjoy them, but they are not canon. That and they may pull from the good ideas in the future.

Again....if you think Episode VII will do poorly...I think you will be in for a surprise then. From all the news sites they all say that when they post an Episode VII article their site gets flooded, people are foaming at the mouth for it.

Again your complaint isn't even relevant to the actual story of the book, just the fact that it's canon, and the rest of the books/EU is not.

The dejected EU fans will flock to the new canon EU anyway.

Oh ya. I mean I love many stories from the EU. The KOTOR books/comics/games. Thrawn trilogy, Han Solo Trilogy, many of the games and a few of the other books. But it's not canon. I'm not mad about that at all, because we all knew it was never suppose to be purely official.

I can always go back and read them. But they are not canon. We may see some of them in some ways again. But they will come to it. I just think many will vent for a while until they realize they can pick up the Thrawn trilogy and still read it.

I never read much EU, I think the only novels I own are Shadows of the Empire that took place between V and VI and I, Jedi.

Superman is my favorite fictional character, and some of my favorite stories of his are not in canon. Doesn't matter IMO, just more to enjoy.

Oh ya. I mean TDKR is one of my favorite graphic novels, it's not canon.

But I read a lot of EU of SW. In the 90's and early 2000's I read a ton of it. Then once in a while after. But this is a good start. Really love the characters, Vindian is pretty cool. Like Bim said, it makes you so excited for the series.

The dejected EU fans will flock to the new canon EU anyway.
They'll pout and complain before they do that though.

Very cool that you both have pups named Luna! The Force is strong with you both :oldrazz:

I love Hera. Indeed, Vidian is one evil bastard, and i laughed a lot with Skelly. I honestly think this book is a great way to introduce us to the characters in Rebels. I feel like i'm going into it with emotional investment already. Bastards, they're hooked me in! :oldrazz:

Again your complaint isn't even relevant to the actual story of the book, just the fact that it's canon, and the rest of the books/EU is not.
The point here is not about the quality of the book, if there is any or it's canon state. The point here is that sales are abysmal and that not everyone is drinking the Kool-Aid. It's not just EU fans that this book is marketed towards, even regular folk/casual fans aren't going out of their way to buy this book Not a great start for this canon.

Saying that is like an Agents of SHIELD fan saying that even though the show isn't great, it's still part of the great billion dollar MCU anyway.:whatever::lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"