A real masked vigilante..

Arrow_22 I don't agree with you, BUT, if this is a path you want to take, then stop wasting your time posting here and get your ass out on those streets.

1) I wasn't just responding to yours, somebody said go to the police academy.
2) Read the post. Police are miles away, I'm not just referring to you, but anyone in this situation
3) That's my point. (Not saying I'm going to be Batman or anything) like Batman did, he put the fear of God into those people, which did dramatically curb crime. That's what I would do.
4) I'm talking about the situation before he became a millionaire. There are plenty of cops who did that and are fearing for their lives still.
5) There are some cops who do that, yes. But, I have a family member in law enforcement, and the media does it almost every time they kill someone, when people's lives are in danger, when someone is getting severely beaten or raped, when someone is robbing a bank. It doesn't even matter anymore to anyone for some reason

How exactly are you going to be in the right place at the right time? If the police are miles away from a crime, why would you be any closer? I'm having a hard time trying to understand how someone that doesn't have access to 911 calls can be somewhere to help someone before the police can. Are you planning on just walking around and thwarting whatever crimes you witness?

Deterrence doesn't work, FYI. Capital punishment did nothing to deter crime, so what makes you think you could? I don't think you understand the nature of criminality. People who commit crimes aren't doing so because they're not afraid of punishment. Fear does not curb crime.

How exactly are you going to be in the right place at the right time? If the police are miles away from a crime, why would you be any closer? I'm having a hard time trying to understand how someone that doesn't have access to 911 calls can be somewhere to help someone before the police can. Are you planning on just walking around and thwarting whatever crimes you witness?

This is really the biggest problem here.

Also, when are you going to sleep? Work during the day, patrol at night.

Actually, you can get access to a police band radio. I can be in a place where police are spread thin; they would almost never get there in time. The other thing, there are severel reasons I wouldn't die. I'm going to get a bulletproof vest. I will have a ranged weapon to take people out before I go hand-to-hand, and my martial arts training would keep me from dying in close range combat

3) That's my point. (Not saying I'm going to be Batman or anything) like Batman did, he put the fear of God into those people, which did dramatically curb crime. That's what I would do.

That will not work. That has never worked. That's not how crime prevention works. You shouldn't try to fight crime, because you clearly know nothing about it.

That will not work. That has never worked. That's not how crime prevention works. You shouldn't try to fight crime, because you clearly know nothing about it.
Hate to disappoint, but I have family in the police force. I also have saved somebody gettin mugged already

Just because the movies depict criminals as being afraid of one man in a batsuit, doesn't mean that criminals would rethink their life styles if it happened in real life.

Hate to disappoint, but I have family in the police force. I also have saved somebody gettin mugged already

And that means that you'll be able to dramatically reduce the crime rate by "putting the fear of God" into the vaguely defined "criminal element" even though this has proven historically to be an awful way to reduce the crime rate how, exactly?

I mean, helping someone who got mugged is all well and good, but my point is that patrolling the streets and beating people up will not make any real dent into the local crime rate. That's not how crime works.

Just because the movies depict criminals as being afraid of one man in a batsuit, doesn't mean that criminals would rethink their life styles if it happened in real life.
I'm not wearing a batsuit... That is the most idiotic idea ever. I'm just saying, if I could make them afraid, get a rep, there would be less crime to stop

I'm not wearing a batsuit... That is the most idiotic idea ever. I'm just saying, if I could make them afraid, get a rep, there would be less crime to stop

And why would criminals be any more afraid of you than they already are of the police or other criminals?

Please, take some time to actually study criminology and the sociology of crime. You clearly have no understanding of what causes crime and what lessens crime.

Because. The police have to abide by the law firstly. Second, if you were committing a crime, and you see the rest of your guys laying on the ground, unconscious or dead, and then you see someone just finishing off your last guy. You try to shoot him, but he's wearing a vest. Then he beats the living crap out of you. I think that would build a perfectly good reputation if I did that a few times.

So all you have to do is get shot a few times in your bulletproof vest and you're good. :up:
:p

Because. The police have to abide by the law firstly.

1: They often don't.

2: The laws the police are supposed to abide by don't make them any less terrifying. Have you seen footage of a no-knock warrant? It's like a military raid. Police deploy an enormous amount of force and often use fear tactics well within the confines of the law, and yet that does very little to curb the crime rate or scare criminals into not offending.

Second, if you were committing a crime, and you see the rest of your guys laying on the ground, unconscious or dead, and then you see someone just finishing off your last guy. You try to shoot him, but he's wearing a vest. Then he beats the living crap out of you. I think that would build a perfectly good reputation if I did that a few times.

1: If you get shot while wearing a vest, you're not going to be in a position to keep fighting. Sure, the bullet won't penetrate, but it will knock you back about five feet and probably break two or three ribs.

2: You clearly have a very cartoonish notion of what crime is. Most criminals don't have "guys." Most criminals act on their own or perhaps with one partner. The vast majority of criminals aren't dedicated members of organized criminal fraternities. They're frustrated or desperate people making what they perceive, rightly or wrongly, to be the only choice available to them.

3: That sort of thing may build a reputation, but how will that reputation translate into a reduction in the crime rate?

4: Again, how is that more scary that the police force's reputation of raiding the homes of people growing marajuana in full tactical gear with smoke grenades?

I'm honestly not trying to convince you to do this yourself, only see it the way I see it. Read "Vigilante" by Robin Parish. Good book, also think about this point of view. Pretty much this world has been screwed over by criminals. I'm not trying to stop crime altogether, that's impossible. I just want to go out and help people. It may be illegal, but it's worth the risk knowing that you saved someone who could have died without your help. Guess you guys have no idea what that feels like though.

And on the topic of "guys". It's a loose term. I meant in the form of partners, not specifying how many. Also, I've broken some ribs in a fight. I heard them crack, but kept fighting. I'm not saying it was easy, but would you rather live with broken ribs or die? I thought so.

I'm honestly not trying to convince you to do this yourself, only see it the way I see it. Read "Vigilante" by Robin Parish. Good book, also think about this point of view. Pretty much this world has been screwed over by criminals. I'm not trying to stop crime altogether, that's impossible. I just want to go out and help people. It may be illegal, but it's worth the risk knowing that you saved someone who could have died without your help. Guess you guys have no idea what that feels like though.

The problem is that the way that you see it is horribly misinformed. Criminals are not the cause of society's ills, they are a symptom of them. Going out and helping people in your community is all well and good, but involving yourself in crime prevention in any capacity when you have a very poor and very limited understanding of how crime works and where it comes from is potentially very dangerous. I'm worried that you might end up seriously hurting someone and exacerbating a situation that you don't seem to understand very well.

And on the topic of "guys". It's a loose term. I meant in the form of partners, not specifying how many. Also, I've broken some ribs in a fight. I heard them crack, but kept fighting. I'm not saying it was easy, but would you rather live with broken ribs or die? I thought so.

1: But getting your ribs broken by the force of an object moving faster than sound as it collides with your chest is quite a bit more immobilizing than just getting punched in the chest. And either way, such an injury dramatically decreases the chances that you'll be able to continue fighting effectively.

2: Your wording still betrays your ignorance. You clearly look at criminals as a homogenous enemy other, and that's truly not how it works.

And that, my friends, is how the_lost_soul became Phoenix Jones.

I understand your concern. I also understand how society works, why crime happens. I would never presume to know the backgrounds of every criminal, why they do what they do, that sort of thing. But, what I do understand is that sometimes people need to be saved. I'm honestly not trying to scare people into submission, or to destroy crime, I just want to be able to help people. I know the police are scary (on occasion), but scary doesn't always work. People need hope, and I know that sounds a bit cliché, but hardly anyone sees the police as a source of hope. If they know that someone out there cares enough to go into a crime, not the police, because people often think of the police as the 'bad guys', arresting people for no reason and murdering people without punishment; someone like that could do some genuine good.

I understand your concern. I also understand how society works, why crime happens. I would never presume to know the backgrounds of every criminal, why they do what they do, that sort of thing. But, what I do understand is that sometimes people need to be saved. I'm honestly not trying to scare people into submission, or to destroy crime, I just want to be able to help people. I know the police are scary (on occasion), but scary doesn't always work. People need hope, and I know that sounds a bit cliché, but hardly anyone sees the police as a source of hope. If they know that someone out there cares enough to go into a crime, not the police, because people often think of the police as the 'bad guys', arresting people for no reason and murdering people without punishment; someone like that could do some genuine good.

Perhaps. But I think you need to educate yourself a lot more before you try to get involved in any capacity. Take some time to really study criminology and the sociology of crime, the history of political initiatives to combat crime, the history of socioeconomic impacts on crime, and the tactics and history of law enforcement. Take some time to study these things in a truly academic manner. It may change your mind, it may not, but being more informed about a situation before you try to step into it is never not helpful.

Also, I never read comic books. I just get really ticked off watching people get raped and murdered, when police are under such scrutiny from the media that they can't do anything about it!

Is this something you watch often? Funny, I've gone my whole life without ever "watching" a rape or murder. :whatever:

And "ticked off"…. What a strong way to put it! Yeah, I sure get peeved when someone gets their head cut off, you guys. Ugh… ugh ughhhh…. :whatever:

Well honestly I'm not doing it at the moment. The whole thing, I'm still training. I will be training for another 6-7 years.

Or you could get a Masters and PhD in that time. But yeah, let's be a mentally deranged, self-righteous wackjob. Good luck, bro! It's all about you! :up:

Perhaps. But I think you need to educate yourself a lot more before you try to get involved in any capacity. Take some time to really study criminology and the sociology of crime, the history of political initiatives to combat crime, the history of socioeconomic impacts on crime, and the tactics and history of law enforcement. Take some time to study these things in a truly academic manner. It may change your mind, it may not, but being more informed about a situation before you try to step into it is never not helpful.
I didn't say I was going to do it immediately. I'm still working on it. Did you honestly think I would be so convicted about this and rush in blindly. I know it takes careful planning.

I didn't say I was going to do it immediately. I'm still working on it. Did you honestly think I would be so convicted about this and rush in blindly. I know it takes careful planning.

I never assumed you would rush in blindly. I just think that while your are planning, you should also broaden your understanding of the situation beyond the immediate tactics you might use. It might change your whole approach, and if not, it might strengthen the approach you do take.

Is this something you watch often? Funny, I've gone my whole life without ever "watching" a rape or murder. :whatever:

And "ticked off"…. What a strong way to put it! Yeah, I sure get peeved when someone gets their head cut off, you guys. Ugh… ugh ughhhh…. :whatever:

Or you could get a Masters and PhD in that time. But yeah, let's be a mentally deranged, self-righteous wackjob. Good luck, bro! It's all about you! :up:

how about it makes me want to kill myself when idiots like you come along. Honestly? You're probably not going to get a Masters or a PHD either. Except at least I'll be doing something productive with my life

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"