A Song of Ice and Fire books

Discussion in 'Books and Music' started by Buford The Sly, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HankTheTurtle

HankTheTurtle Well-Known Member

I'm currently reading ADwD, so to avoid spoilers I haven't read this thread beyond the first page. (I'll probably go through everything once I finish the book, though.)

Anyway, I came up with these while passing the time between GoT seasons, and figured I'd post them here because fans of the books might also appreciate them. I'm also working on a Targaryen crest for something along the same lines as these, as well as a "Valar Morghulis" design.

If you like em, click em.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Dark Sentinel

Dark Sentinel Well-Known Member

Martin stole "Valar" from Tolkien :o

Just saying :hehe:

3. Victarion

Victarion Iron Captain

Tolkien raided the Norsefolk for his Asylum-grade ripoff fanfics. :o

I read in a YT comment that Ramsey Bolton makes Joff look like Mother Theresa. Is that true? I'm nearly done with AGOT. Its going much better. Hopefully I'll be able to stick with it.

4. childeroland

childeroland Well-Known Member

Ramsey makes EVERYONE look like Mother Theresa.

5. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

:eek::cmad:

*loads rifle*

6. ChickenScratch

ChickenScratch Well-Known Member

My favorite character in the series because of his brutality. Rape, torture, cannibalism, human death and suffering as entertainment. I could go on, this guy is like baby Vlad Dracula.

7. Dark Sentinel

Dark Sentinel Well-Known Member

*loads AK*
    I got your back, Sawyer! :argh::hehe:

8. Baramos

Baramos Well-Known Member

I like Victarion Greyjoy better. When Ramsay does all that it just seems crazy. Victarion makes it badass.

9. nite-owl

nite-owl Well-Known Member

10. Buford The Sly

Buford The Sly Hit'n the deck

No I think you're thinking of the place north of the wall
    where all the wildings are supposedly lining up to become wights.
    Skaggos is an island in the narrow sea a bit south east of the Wall. It's full of cannibals so the Nights Watch and all the rest of Westeros steers clear of it.

11. HydraSupreme

HydraSupreme Active Member

I read the first two books of Song of Ice and Fire 2 months ago.

Now I bought the paperback of Sword of Storms recently but haven't had the time to read since I'm busy re-reading Dune.

12. CrypticOne

CrypticOne Poetic Violence

How is Dune?

13. HydraSupreme

Dune is awesome. I'm more used to the 1984 Dune movie though since I remember going to it at the drive in theater back then. I even got some trading cards free too at the time. Movie Baron was so creepy along with Rabban and Sting being all sexy in his weird sci fi metal bikini.

14. HydraSupreme

My dad was probably a fan of Dune so he was the only person that was excited to go to the movie. I think my mom must have been bored out of her mind having to be dragged along to go see the movie lol.

15. HankTheTurtle

HankTheTurtle Well-Known Member

Some more designs I came up with. Click if you like them. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Lord

Lord All Mighty

For a fan watching the show only, do you guys recomend picking up A storm of Swords or was there too much cut material?

17. Buford The Sly

You wouldn't be totally lost if you did that, however there are things that were shifted around that would confuse you a bit. Plus there are things in the books that were "done" better. For example Arya's storyline and Jon Snow's storyline. There are some things I like better in the show than in the books so it's a give and take kind of thing. Things like where the Reeds came from and a lot of the backstory stuff that they left out of the show might confuse you. Plus there's a character that shows up at the end of Dany's chapters of A Clash of Kings that they are most likely pushing to the beginning of this third season of the show that has a pretty big impact on things moving forward. If none of that stuff bothers you then dive right in on A Storm of Swords because it's the standard bearer of the series. The next season should be stellar.

18. Lord

Lord All Mighty

If it wasn't the wikia i wouldn't know half the things they were talking about in the wall on the show, i tried to read a little of the book, decided it was better to read the war of he five kings and skip the wall parts for a later reread of the books. While there was that new character (Cousin of Jamie i believe), i wasn't very lost.

Since the chapters are done by characters would i loose much if i read the plot of setting at a time? For example, first reading the Daenerys parts, then the ones of the war of five kings and only later the events at the wall?

19. Spidey-Bat

Spidey-Bat Ours is the Fury

I wouldn't recommend it because some characters begin to intersect more. So you'll be even more confused.

20. Buford The Sly

I never recommend skipping through the chapters, even though I know a ton of people who can't help themselves. They are structured like that for a reason and things that people mention (especially in A Storm of Swords) get ruined for you. But believe me The Wall (and Beyond) stuff, gets real interesting (along with everything else). It's a great book.

21. Spidey-Bat

Spidey-Bat Ours is the Fury

A Storm of Swords is definitely not the book to skip chapters or read in a different order (A Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons are more flexibile, IMO). The first 1/3rd can feel a little slow. Once you get there though, it's hard to stop reading.

22. Lord

Lord All Mighty

The problem with the events at the wall are that it seems like there's a lot of material cut from the show, so i'm kind of lost with the characters

23. Buford The Sly

Well like I said the book version of all of that is better but all the important beats were there in the show. There are some characters, like Chett, that were cut from the show and he's the POV of the first chapter in A Storm of Swords. But besides that it shouldn't be too confusing. The Wall and beyond stuff gets split into two different story threads going forward from the second season. We'll follow Jon Snow and [BLACKOUT]Sam (yes he lives)[/BLACKOUT].

24. Baramos

Baramos Well-Known Member

My only joke about Dune is I think it takes less time to read the book than watch the movie.

The characters are Legion and the plot already labyrinthine enough that I certainly couldn't recommend reading stuff out of the order Martin put it in, at least the first time through (obviously in rereads I have seen if the character chapters just flow together without the others in between, with mixed results).

25. DACrowe

DACrowe Well-Known Member

"Railroad" took something from Tolkien? No kiddin'! :oldrazz:

He may also take from Tolkien soon in that his work's adaptations will have to pare down a lot of filler (cough AFFC and ADWD cough), I'm just saying, I'm just saying. But that was nice to know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.