A Song of Ice and Fire books

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the standard paperbacks the trade-sized ones?

Yeah, that is the word I was looking for. They tend to be closer to the size of the hardback. The mass-markets tend to be much smaller.

Example: (not my genre of choice lol)

TheMaster_trade_and_mass_market.jpg

Trade on your left, Mass on your right

I understand a 2-3 month wait between hardcover and paperback, that should be enough. A whole year is just really pushing it imo.

In America, maximum profit>all else. That being said, a paperback getting pushed back this many times for this long is rare. Actually this is the first time I have seen it happen. Publishers usually have a schedule they use with all their books regardless of sales.

Last edited:
In Conversation With... George R.R. Martin on Game of Thrones Part 1-3 | TIFF Bell Lightbox

[YT]3S51i0EANGA[/YT]
[YT]qGwdWUl25AU[/YT]
[YT]QlJblxV3QHQ[/YT]

Some interesting stuff. Like originally it was planned to only be three books:

A Game of Thrones
A Dance with Dragons
Winds of Winter

And he just keeps stretching that number.

And...

The World of Ice and Fire: The Official History of Westeros and The World of A Game of Thrones by GRR Martin
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0553805444/?tag=westeros-20

A thought I had, I wonder if GRR Martin will ever set a story in Sothoryos? Its barely explored, and is said to be a haven for disease and is covered in jungles and deserts and has ape like creatures and "terrible walking lizards with scythes for claw" on it. That sounds like a killer setting for a story. Maybe a single book after A Song of Ice and Fire is completed set a hundred years or so after the current time period or in the past. Maybe a lord commisioned a voyage there looking for something or to colonize.

A thought I had, I wonder if GRR Martin will ever set a story in Sothoryos? Its barely explored, and is said to be a haven for disease and is covered in jungles and deserts and has ape like creatures and "terrible walking lizards with scythes for claw" on it.

9r4yth.png

Considering how long he's taking for ASOIAF and his well-documented disdain of fanfiction, we'll probably never see a book about Sothoryos.

9r4yth.png

Considering how long he's taking for ASOIAF and his well-documented disdain of fanfiction, we'll probably never see a book about Sothoryos.

But what does his disdain for fanfiction have to do with him writing a book about Sothoryos? He has already written other books about Westeros (Dunk and Egg novellas) he could do the same after ASOIAF. Even if he never does a book anout Sothoryos, I dont see him being entirely finished with this world after ASOIAF. Its too big and his baby. He will probably dabble in it until he dies. It doesnt even have to be novels. Hopefully that history book he wrote that I linked to above will have new info on the whole world.

Last edited:
I think he's going to move on from the ASOIAF world once he's finished. He has that contract with HBO to keep him busy, too.

I think he's going to move on from the ASOIAF world once he's finished. He has that contract with HBO to keep him busy, too.

Well look at him now. He is writing stuff for the HBO show including books, and he is doing map and history books about the book series for Bantam publishing. Id say he will be doing this for a long time especially at the rate he is going. Plenty of time to offer more info on the larger world.

He could visit Sothoryos in one of the last two books, couldn't he? I'm certain in a video interview Martin had an interest in much smaller scale stories set in his world. There's also a TCG out based on ASOIAF, so perhaps he has become more lenient toward fanfiction or, at the least, a semi-shared world approach.

He could visit Sothoryos in one of the last two books, couldn't he? I'm certain in a video interview Martin had an interest in much smaller scale stories set in his world. There's also a TCG out based on ASOIAF, so perhaps he has become more lenient toward fanfiction or, at the least, a semi-shared world approach.

But I ask again what does fanfiction have to do with anything? Him writing other stories and releasing info on other parts of the world isn't fan-fiction.

And, yeah, it is entirely possible he could explore Sothoryos in the next two books, tho, he has said they go further North, but I guess some characters could be heading South for some purpose. With GRR Martin it is hard telling what will happen. The man doesn't believe in straight lines. His stories divert and meander every which way before they conclude.

The most hilarious option: have Dunk and Egg go there for some godawful reason. At the end of the story they go, "Let's never speak of this again. If anyone asks we were hanging out in Dorne the entire time."

But anyway, I don't think we're going to visit Sothyros in the main books. I'm not even sure we're going to manage to get to Asshai despite Quaithe basically spelling out to Dany she is going to go there at some point before the end (or at least she has to go "beneath the shadow"). That's the only reason I think we have to at least get to Asshai/Far East. If it weren't for that one particular line I'd say he simply doesn't have time.

Thus far nothing about inland Sothyros in any prophecies, so I think he will ignore it.

Besides I think he has mentioned that Sothyros is kind of an homage for the Africa-region in Conan, which was mostly unexplored and mysterious as well, with Conan having a few adventures on the coasts but that's about it. So Victarion being on the northern coast of it might be the extent of it.

The most hilarious option: have Dunk and Egg go there for some godawful reason. At the end of the story they go, "Let's never speak of this again. If anyone asks we were hanging out in Dorne the entire time."

But anyway, I don't think we're going to visit Sothyros in the main books. I'm not even sure we're going to manage to get to Asshai despite Quaithe basically spelling out to Dany she is going to go there at some point before the end (or at least she has to go "beneath the shadow"). That's the only reason I think we have to at least get to Asshai/Far East. If it weren't for that one particular line I'd say he simply doesn't have time.

Thus far nothing about inland Sothyros in any prophecies, so I think he will ignore it.

Besides I think he has mentioned that Sothyros is kind of an homage for the Africa-region in Conan, which was mostly unexplored and mysterious as well, with Conan having a few adventures on the coasts but that's about it. So Victarion being on the northern coast of it might be the extent of it.

That stuff always drive me bonkers. My curiosity gets the better of me. I'm like "What's over there?", "Who lives there?", "What goes on there?", "Must know everything!" Don't make me go Annie Wilkes on your ash, Martin!:cmad::woot:

Dunk and Egg stumbling into some hillarious situations with the crazy Sothyros natives would be something I would read.

Last edited:
I might have misspoke, though, on that Conan thing--I can't remember what region Red Nails too place in but I think Xochotl might have been in that Africa-type region in Conan, it was definitely a wild jungle-like region...still, unlike most of the Conan universe it was never explored as much as the rest of Hyborea.

I might have misspoke, though, on that Conan thing--I can't remember what region Red Nails too place in but I think Xochotl might have been in that Africa-type region in Conan, it was definitely a wild jungle-like region...still, unlike most of the Conan universe it was never explored as much as the rest of Hyborea.

Ive never read any of the Conan material. Been meaning to remedy that.

I think the fanfiction mention was meant to indicate novels within the world of ASOIAF written by someone other than Martin. Shared world novels, such as the various dungeons and dragons novels or tie-ins like the Star Wars EU, are frequently referred to as "fanfiction."

I think the fanfiction mention was meant to indicate novels within the world of ASOIAF written by someone other than Martin. Shared world novels, such as the various dungeons and dragons novels or tie-ins like the Star Wars EU, are frequently referred to as "fanfiction."

Oh, I wasn't advocating something like that. The only person I want writing books set in this world is Martin.

I've always seen Victarion as Martin's very own "Conan" so it works with what you're saying.

I remember he said in an interview about the Map book that the main characters haven't seen the "Americas and Australia equivalents" so the readers wouldn't either.

Best left to our imagination, unless he plans on writing side novels after getting done with A Song of Ice and Fire. There's already disappointment that we probably won't see much of Sothyros and our time in Essos is probably drawing to a close--I see Dany going to Asshai and that's it.

Best left to our imagination, unless he plans on writing side novels after getting done with A Song of Ice and Fire. There's already disappointment that we probably won't see much of Sothyros and our time in Essos is probably drawing to a close--I see Dany going to Asshai and that's it.

I'm thankful for that.
Can't believe Danny has been stumbling around that place for 5 books.

Is Daenerys close to attacking Westeros in the books yet?

I doubt Dany reaches Westeros. She'll just make a place for herself where she is.

I doubt Dany reaches Westeros. She'll just make a place for herself where she is.

Her storyline in book 5 is the reason it took him 6 years to write that book. That plus the other books is a lot of time to sink into a storyline to just have her not reach her goal. Not to mention the time I've spent reading her chapters. I'm gonna be pissed if she just gives up on her goal. And I want her to stick it to westeros in some way.

From what what i hear of the books it does seem like that, to tell you the truth that would be kind of disapointing. It has been promised that the Others and Daenerys will join the problems in Westeros, if he keeps the promise i'm not sure how he'll be able to end every conflict in only 2 books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"