A Song of Ice and Fire books

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished reading it. Basically the Dance of the Dragons was pretty ****ing intense and tragic. I mean, mind you it's just a Maester describing the events with occasional moments of narrative here and there, but it did a good job of really showing just how crippling and horrid the war was on House Targaryen and how painful it was for family members with every escalation of vengeance between Rhaenyra and Aegon II. [blackout]The scene with Cheese and Blood and Haelena was completely ****ed up.[/blackout]

We learn a fair bit about the actual dragons themselves as well, the dragon riders were pretty cool as were the scenes describing how they would tear into each other in the air and land. Really brutal stuff.

Best thing coming out of it was Daemon Targaryen, what an amazing bloody character. Can't wait to see more of him the World of Ice and Fire book next year.

Last edited:
Does Martin use the Maester a simply a framing device? Meaning, is the meat of the Targaryen story told from the viewpoints of the characters...?

It's kind of like a Maester explaining the story from reports, but at the same time the story goes from being a broad type explanation of the conflict to showing some of the really personal moments between the Targaryens, such as Rhaenrya with her sons, or Daemon and his nephew. So yeah, it's like a weird combination.

I see. I'll be getting that collection. Right now I'm rereading A Clash of Kings. Seems like Robb could've saved himself some grief by throwing in with either Renly or Stannis.

It's kind of like a Maester explaining the story from reports, but at the same time the story goes from being a broad type explanation of the conflict to showing some of the really personal moments between the Targaryens, such as Rhaenrya with her sons, or Daemon and his nephew. So yeah, it's like a weird combination.

I might need to pick it up then. Some of the reviews were pretty luke warm on it.

I see. I'll be getting that collection. Right now I'm rereading A Clash of Kings. Seems like Robb could've saved himself some grief by throwing in with either Renly or Stannis.

Is your avvy the three-eyed crow?

I googled

Bloodraven and this image came up. I think it was titled Brynden Blackfyre

I might need to pick it up then. Some of the reviews were pretty luke warm on it.

It's pretty interesting, the main problem is that it's clearly edited down to fit with the anthology and not everything gets answered.

Regarding Cersei's trial

I think Ser Robert Strong will prove victorious against the Faith's champion. In rereading A Feast for Crows, Cersei is starting to remind me of the Mad King. Whereas the Mad King was going to burn down King's Landing with wildfire, I think Cersei's "wildfire" will be in the form of the Faith's followers. Word of her alliance with Qyburn and the nature of Ser Robert would be the fire's ignition. Cersei's death will be by Jaime's sword. Possibly in the interest of protecting Tommen.

Just finished re-reading all five books.

Now....TWOW comes out tomorrow yes?

:o

Now....TWOW comes out tomorrow yes?

:o

tumblr_mdcpn3J4551r05qd8o1_250.gif

The guy that does the audiobooks said that George said that he's almost done with another "episode." I look for TWOW release to coincide with the end of S4.

He's been working on it for long enough...then again I learned that he apparently released some Young Griff chapters long before the HBO series started. Care to throw around some Azor Ahai theories?

Seems like the majority favor Jon Snow as Azor Ahai. If this is the case, do you really see him serving "Good" or "Evil" exclusively? I could see this figure trying to bring justice to Westeros, which inadvertently weakens humankind and makes it easier to the Others to triumph. This hinges on my theory that the Others are a sort of natural occurence necessary to Planetos's survival. A balance to the dragons' Fire.

I actually agree. I think he may even be further along with ADOS then we think too. I mean he did finish ASOS compared to ACOK quite quickly. But ya I think it will be summer 2014 for AWOW.

You guys are far more optimistic than I am. Even when we get a confirmed date, I'm expecting it to be like "Haha! Enjoy the year-long wait!"

You guys are far more optimistic than I am. Even when we get a confirmed date, I'm expecting it to be like "Haha! Enjoy the year-long wait!"

Who says you are getting a copy of it anyways when it comes out? I'm buying all of them near where you live!

My speculation and optimism are based on George not wanting the show to finish the story that he started.

theriddler.png

My speculation and optimism are based on George not wanting the show to finish the story that he started.

That's what I think. By season 5 (2015) they will probably be done with all the material (or almost all) of AFFC and ADWD. So I think if they are going with their plan of 8 seasons, season 6 (2016) They will be fully going into TWOW. By Season 7 (2017) they will probably be going into (near the end) some of the stuff from ADOS. So I agree he does not want them to over take him. He wants people to read the books first.

I just had a moment of self-realization.

Victarion beat his wife to death.
Victarion's arm now resembles a roast pig and gives off smoke.
The ritual that gave Victarion his new arm was performed at sea.
Moquorro sees a great future for Victarion in service to Rhllor.
Victarion's wife is an analog to Nissa Nissa, the arm is the smoke, the sea provides the salt...Victarion Greyjoy is Azor Ahai reborn.

A lot of people can fit that prophecy to be Azor Ahai.

The Last Hero, The Prince Who Was Promised, and Azor Ahai have never been confirmed by Martin to all be the same prophecy. Thus it's possible to have multiple characters turn out to be any of these characters. Obviously
Jon and Dany are both contenders, and the name of the series implies they are going to meet...that said, it would be like Martin to make Victarion be the true hero of the entire series or something, haha

The Princess and the Queen was great, I didn't have the money to buy the whole anthology, though, so I read it at Barnes and Noble. I kind of wanted to read the Joe Abercrombie and Pat Rothfuss stories, too, though, so maybe I'll pick it up eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"