Days of Future Past A way to incorporate Gambit

Haha man that was Horrible. Or the random cut to him suddenly on a building just so he can jump 100 ft. The wall walking...there was zero logic to that fight. I don't even think it made sense he chose to fight Logan over Sabertooth.

the director was terrible

I don't think there's much chance of Gambit appearing, which is a shame. The movie already has to accommodate a lot of players and at this point I think he'd only be a small cameo if it did happen.

I would love seeing him back after DoFP because I think there is a lot you can do with him in regards to the Marauders/Mutant Massacre and Mr. Sinister. I think even a liberal adaptation of the trial of Gambit could work, but I doubt we'll ever see that.

Kitsch has been in a few turkeys so they won't be giving him a front and centre role anytime soon, i think.

And I think the fact he appeared in XMO: Wolverine is not a good omen for his return either.

Singer will be the one to decide whether to bring him back.

On a positive note, Kitsch's Gambit was better than the one included in X3 (and briefly seen in a still in the forest camp scene). But I don't feel the Kitsch version really embodied the character's more playful side.

There is no Gambit in X3...

There is no Gambit in X3...

Well, actually, yes there is. The character was dropped after production started - originally he was among mutants freed from a prison on Liberty Island (in the first version of the screenplay). He can be seen briefly in a shot of Magneto and the Brotherhood standing on top of high ground in the forest, when Magneto is making his speech to the mutant army. When that scene was filmed, Gambit was still in the script!

The picture is in this article and Gambit is the unnamed actor with long black hair and a leather trenchcoat on the far right, slightly out of focus.

Last edited:
Well, actually, yes there is. The character was dropped after production started - originally he was among mutants freed from a prison on Liberty Island (in the first version of the screenplay). He can be seen briefly in a shot of Magneto and the Brotherhood standing on top of high ground in the forest, when Magneto is making his speech to the mutant army. When that scene was filmed, Gambit was still in the script!

The picture is in this article and Gambit is the unnamed actor with long black hair and a leather trenchcoat on the far right, slightly out of focus.

Having a trenchcoat and a long black hair does not make an extra who appears for half of a second Gambit. He's never addressed, never referred to as "Gambit", he not even credited, nor does have a "part" in this film. If you personally like to believe that this is Gambit, it's fine, but to compare Kitsch's actual Gambit to this is a huuuuuuuuge stretch.

Having a trenchcoat and a long black hair does not make an extra who appears for half of a second Gambit. He's never addressed, never referred to as "Gambit", he not even credited, nor does have a "part" in this film. If you personally like to believe that this is Gambit, it's fine, but to compare Kitsch's actual Gambit to this is a huuuuuuuuge stretch.

Of course he's never addressed, he was cut from the movie but remained lurking in the background of that one scene.

It's not a question of whether I personally believe it was Gambit, because it was Gambit!

I think Kitsch's Gambit looks better than the X3 Gambit. Judging from that brief glimpse, that X3 Gambit doesn't look right at all. Too emo, too girly, not right!

Of course he's never addressed, he was cut from the movie but remained lurking in the background of that one scene.

It's not a question of whether I personally believe it was Gambit, because it was Gambit!

I think Kitsch's Gambit looks better than the X3 Gambit. Judging from that brief glimpse, that X3 Gambit doesn't look right at all. Too emo, too girly, not right!

It is exactly a question of whether you personally believe it or not. Have you even read the article you provided:

Although the character is officially not in the film, an uncredited actor playing what is believed to be Gambit can be glimpsed briefly with the rest of Magneto's brotherhood of mutants, as can be seen on the right in the background of this image from the movie:

X-Men: The Last Stand co-writer Simon Kinberg explained why Gambit had been cut from the movie. He told iF magazine: "I think the one character we really wanted to find a way to include in the movie, and ultimately just couldn't find a way to do it, was Gambit.

"We wrote a cameo for him, and then really felt like it was better to save Gambit and give him a major role in a future X-Men movie, rather than give him a cameo where fans would be saying 'that's all I get of Gambit?'

"Finding a place for Gambit where he wasn't going to be just one of the team didn't come to us. We didn't want to introduce a fan favorite character and not be able to do him justice. There just wasn't enough space in this movie."

Nothing of this suggests that this character is Gambit. There is no solid proof that it was even *supposed* to be him, apart from the physical resemblance. So, no, Gambit is not in X3.

It is exactly a question of whether you personally believe it or not. Have you even read the article you provided:

Nothing of this suggests that this character is Gambit. There is no solid proof that it was even *supposed* to be him, apart from the physical resemblance. So, no, Gambit is not in X3.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Looking at it logically, who else would that character be, who appears in only one scene of the film as part of Magneto's Brotherhood alongside Juggernaut, Quill, Arclight, etc? He appears nowhere else in the film, so clearly it's someone who was cut from the movie. It might only be a mere blink-and-you'll-miss-it glimpse, but it's there.

Also, I remember it was confirmed (on here, I think, or maybe the X-Men fan site that closed down and where Kinberg and Penn answered questions) that the character we can see was indeed Gambit.

No one wants to really admit it, not even you. But you have to realise that X3 was made with only a few weeks of pre-production when Ratner came on board and so a vast number of changes happened as they went along. When Ratner arrived, filming was due to start in about eight weeks, maybe less. He shuffled the script around and many things were altered during the filming.

For instance, the writers later claimed Mei Melancon was playing Kwannon, not Psylocke (despite the credits) because fans were annoyed about Psylocke being wasted in such a small role. The character's role was reduced during filming; originally, she was going to use her psi-blades during a raid on the lab where the mutant cure was being manufactured. And the actress told me personally that she had in fact auditioned for the role of Callisto.

Similarly, the character we know as Quill was credited as Kid Omega, and the writers claimed that 'Kid Omega' was a credits error.

A lot of elements of this film morphed and mutated 'on the fly', hence Gambit was cut when that forest scene had already been shot.

Gambit was also in X2 at one point, but the scene has never been shown anywhere, probably because it's unfinished with no FX added. As that article says, a stuntman confirmed he filmed a scene as Gambit.

There's two ways to bring him in from Origins.

A) Have him be with FC cast, possibly be the assassin as a shout out to the cartoon. The timeline works out from both X:O and FC.

B) Somehow have him jump to the future with time travel, the writers can come up with a way that works, he can have a minor role this way and then be in position to star in X4 (hopefully).

I doubt Gambit will be in DOFP either way. Singer said Gambit wasn't in X1-2 because Wolverine and Cyclops already filled the male lead role and he didn't want it to be crowded. So I highly doubt he puts him in here.

No, Gambit wasn't cut when that forest scene was already shot. At no point ever was Gambit even cast in this film. The leaks about Gambit's part in the script suggested that he would've been a part of the X-Men, or later, had a cameo in the convoy scene. Producers and people involved with X3 said multiple times that the character was cut because they didn't want to reduce his role to a cameo, or introduce him as a brief character in the last chapter of the story. Nothing of what was supposed to be Gambit in X3 has anything to do with this supposed cameo you're trying to justify. Why would they do exactly the opposite and cast an unknown actor with a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo that is not confirmed, not credited, not official, not referred to, and basically has nothing solid to suggest that it's the character Gambit? The "punk" look doesn't help it either - all these mutants that Magneto recruits in his army are dressed in that manner. He doesn't hold a card or anything, doesn't use his powers. Even if you throw the novelizations of X2 and 3 in the mix (which are non-canon anyway, but still), his part has nothing to do with appearing behind Juggernaut in Magneto's army.

I like how you said "We have to agree to disagree" - because by that you admit that it's just merely your opinion. A speculation. As I said, it is a question of whether or not you believe it is Gambit or not. The possibility of him being Gambit is the same as the possibility of him being Reed Richards. Or Daredevil.

No, Gambit wasn't cut when that forest scene was already shot. At no point ever was Gambit even cast in this film. The leaks about Gambit's part in the script suggested that he would've been a part of the X-Men, or later, had a cameo in the convoy scene. Producers and people involved with X3 said multiple times that the character was cut because they didn't want to reduce his role to a cameo, or introduce him as a brief character in the last chapter of the story. Nothing of what was supposed to be Gambit in X3 has anything to do with this supposed cameo you're trying to justify. Why would they do exactly the opposite and cast an unknown actor with a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo that is not confirmed, not credited, not official, not referred to, and basically has nothing solid to suggest that it's the character Gambit? The "punk" look doesn't help it either - all these mutants that Magneto recruits in his army are dressed in that manner. He doesn't hold a card or anything, doesn't use his powers. Even if you throw the novelizations of X2 and 3 in the mix (which are non-canon anyway, but still), his part has nothing to do with appearing behind Juggernaut in Magneto's army.

I like how you said "We have to agree to disagree" - because by that you admit that it's just merely your opinion. A speculation. As I said, it is a question of whether or not you believe it is Gambit or not. The possibility of him being Gambit is the same as the possibility of him being Reed Richards. Or Daredevil.

Yes, of course, please carry on believing it might instead have been Reed Richards or Daredevil in that scene. And grass is pink and 2 + 2 = 428.

LOL

There's two ways to bring him in from Origins.

A) Have him be with FC cast, possibly be the assassin as a shout out to the cartoon. The timeline works out from both X:O and FC.

B) Somehow have him jump to the future with time travel, the writers can come up with a way that works, he can have a minor role this way and then be in position to star in X4 (hopefully).

I don't think Gambit would fit in with the First Class cast.

Its better if he work with Wolverine, Storm, Iceman, Rogue, Colossus, Shadowcat, Angel. We have already seen the chemistry between Wolverine and Gambit in Origins, for me it worked. Now imagine, if they put those two in a good movie.

I don't think Gambit would fit in with the First Class cast.

Its better if he work with Wolverine, Storm, Iceman, Rogue, Colossus, Shadowcat, Angel. We have already seen the chemistry between Wolverine and Gambit in Origins, for me it worked. Now imagine, if they put those two in a good movie.

I agree there's no room for Gambit in DoFP. They might as well save him for the next movie.

For continuity purposes, it should be Kitsch, but we already had a new Emma who is different to the one in XMO: Wolverine, so they might give us a new Gambit too.

Gambit needs to be charming, playful, romantic, suave and does things with panache and style. Whereas Wolverine is more rugged and rough round the edges, and not at all charming, playful, romantic or suave!

Kitsch had some charm as Gambit, he and Wolverine were even exchanging jokes to each other. Even though I wish they saved him for X4, he was the saving grace of Origins: Wolverine.

If Kitsch wasn't perfect/ideal for Gambit, then what do you say about Shawn Ashmore's portrayal of Iceman, Halle Berry's portrayal of Storm and Rogue's portrayal of Rogue. He wasn't bad as Gambit.

If Kitsch wasn't perfect/ideal for Gambit, then what do you say about Shawn Ashmore's portrayal of Iceman, Halle Berry's portrayal of Storm and Rogue's portrayal of Rogue. He wasn't bad as Gambit.

5 wrongs don't make a right.

Kitsch had some charm as Gambit, he and Wolverine were even exchanging jokes to each other. Even though I wish they saved him for X4, he was the saving grace of Origins: Wolverine.

He was one of the saving graces of Wolverine, definitely.

Yes, a lot of the actors aren't the obvious choices for their roles. Taylor was fine, though they made Gambit a bit too edgy I think. I guess we have to wait and see what happens with a future films and whether he is brought back by Singer or the studio or the producers.

Taylor was a good choice, not perfect, but a good choice. He has the skills to play Remy, the director just didnt go for the Remy everyone knows, from the 90's show and comics.

If Taylor would have used a cajun accent, with a few cool lines, more the black/red eyes all the time, Im sure he would have nailed it.

And in my opinion, a shorter and more cool hairstyle would have been better, similar to the 90's show and classic Remy look from the comics, but anyway, I guess fans cant have 'the perfect' version of any x-man, lol

these directors dont have a f*** clue of how to Nail the look of our beloved x-men

Taylor was a good choice, not perfect, but a good choice. He has the skills to play Remy, the director just didnt go for the Remy everyone knows, from the 90's show and comics.

If Taylor would have used a cajun accent, with a few cool lines, more the black/red eyes all the time, Im sure he would have nailed it.

And in my opinion, a shorter and more cool hairstyle would have been better, similar to the 90's show and classic Remy look from the comics, but anyway, I guess fans cant have 'the perfect' version of any x-man, lol

these directors dont have a f*** clue of how to Nail the look of our beloved x-men

I think it was more the hair and the way he behaved.

I don't mind only seeing the eyes change when he uses his powers, and I think a Cajun accent is unusual, not very well known outside America and hard to get right. He wasn't really very Cajun in the animated series.

well, at least some cajun influence. It would have made the movie version much more interesting, and unique, compared to the rest of the characters.

Gambit was one of the characters that were more easy to nail, but for some reason, the director/producers didnt let it happen.

well, at least some cajun influence. It would have made the movie version much more interesting, and unique, compared to the rest of the characters.

Gambit was one of the characters that were more easy to nail, but for some reason, the director/producers didnt let it happen.

Fox probably didn't want a male character who could outshine Wolverine.

Gambit is charming, charismatic and sexy, and they couldn't have anyone being sexier than Jackman's Wolverine.

exactly what I thought now.

another x-man cant shine in the same movie as Hugh God Jackman, right, Fox?

but anyway, Im glad Taylor played him. Even if it wasnt in the right movie and with the right director and cast.

I don't care how they do it, new actor, bring in Kitsch, or what... I want Gambit.

exactly what I thought now.

another x-man cant shine in the same movie as Hugh God Jackman, right, Fox?

That wasn't it at all, they wanted him to be cool in that flick. They are just clueless when it comes to X-Men and don't know how or why some of these characters work. They wanted spinoffs for Gambit and Deadpool. They new both of them were two of the most popular with a hardcore fanbase so they threw them in. Neither one was in the original script. They thought they were doing good even with their creative license. They just don't know what to do with them, or why they work.

Last edited:
I guess none of the producers was a real fan of those two characters at all, so werent able to ask for the right portray.

And I guess the director didnt work that hard with them at all either. Both characters could have been the standout new characters of the franchise, but they werent. really sad. Gambit had potential for his own movie, same as Deadpool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"