Abandonned. Legendary Movies that Never Made it to the Big Screen

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by gwynplaine, Jan 4, 2013.

1. jonathancrane

jonathancrane I love Marvel, DC & EC!

-Batman Triumphant (Dourif would have been an awesome Scarecrow. Manson would have been fine, too.)
    -Speaking of Manson, Phantasmagoria: The Visions of Lewis Carroll.

2. gwynplaine

gwynplaine L'homme qui rit.

Wow, cool! Thanks for posting these:up: I would have still loved to see this film.

I thought that Jeff Goldblum or maybe even Howard Stern were mentioned for the Scarecrow part. I prefer Dourif, of course.

3. Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

Howard Stern was just a Wizard casting call, I think.

4. Thundarr

Thundarr Well-Known Member

I totally agree. I even have the perfect title, Elm Street: The Nightmare Begins. And please don't start going on about "Robert Englund is too old to play Freddy anymore" (I'm referring to everyone else, Venom75, not you). First of all, Wes Craven's original concept of Freddy was of a creepy old man. In fact, Robert Englund almost didn't get the part back in 1983 because they thought he was too young. But he blew them away with his audition, so they made Freddy a burn victim in order to give him a "timeless look". Besides, he doesn't need to do any crazy stunts. Just run around and taunt little kids with his nightmare glove (the killings would be implied, not shown, as killing kids is a major Hollywood taboo few studios will touch). You can do that at almost any age. His portrayal of Freddy would be more like that of The Colonel in 2002 Maniacs. Then there would be his capture, trial, release, and the movie would end with his burning. It would be kinda like the premier episode to Freddy's Nightmares: A Nightmare On Elm Street The Series entitled No More Mr Nice Guy. Only it would stick closer to the story canon of the original movie (especially the deleted scene from when Nancy's mom is explaining who Freddy is). I'd maybe even explain how the nursery rhyme got out. In my version, Freddy used to torment his victims with it before he'd kill them. Then one child manages to escape, which is how he got caught. But he's so traumatized, all he can do is curl up, rocking back and forth saying "One, two, Freddy's coming for you . . ."

I'd love to attend a horror convention and pitch the idea to Robert Englund. I think he'd probably go for it.

5. gwynplaine

:up:

6. TheAQU4M4N

TheAQU4M4N K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

That would have been quite cool to see.

7. gwynplaine

I would have loved to see Tarantino's take on James Bond.

8. Gianakin_

Gianakin_ SW Prequels Defender

I think he postponed it, to "approach it in another way".

9. Thundarr

Thundarr Well-Known Member

Well FanExpo is coming to Vancouver in August. They cover everything, not just horror. Robert Englund's not on the guest list though. As I recall, only horror icon they have scheduled is Elvira. But then again, August is a ways off yet. You never know.

10. redhawk23

redhawk23 Wrestlin'

11. jacobed

jacobed Well-Known Member

Nottingham. I didn't mind Robin Hood but man the other idea was so much better

12. gwynplaine

^Agreed. Wasn't Christian Bale going to play Robin at one point?

Just read that David Lynch met with George Lucas to direct Return of the Jedi. That would have been interesting.

13. Gianakin_

Tonight He Comes, the one that later became the crappy Hancock movie.

14. Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

How different was that original concept/script from the final Hancock product?

15. Incrediblejeff

Incrediblejeff Still Incredible

16. gwynplaine

I'd be interested to know as well. I think the original screenplay was more graphic and adult in the depiction of Hancock's sexuality and his quest for a love interest or something (hence the title), but I might be wrong.
    :up:

17. gwynplaine

Not abandoned, more like lost, but I would have loved to see Tod Browning's "London After Midnight", starring Lon Chaney.

18. redhawk23

redhawk23 Wrestlin'

Seriously, this movie was going to be ridiculous.

19. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Evildoer

That is indeed the 'Holy Grail' of lost films for archivists and film collectors.

20. GREEN =w= DAY

GREEN =w= DAY Well-Known Member

what's the story behind that movie?

21. gwynplaine

From Wikipedia
    London After Midnight (also known as The Hypnotist) was a 1927 American silent mystery film with horror overtones distributed by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. The film is based on the short story "The Hypnotist" by Tod Browning who also directed the film. London After Midnight starred Lon Chaney, Marceline Day, Conrad Nagel, Henry B. Walthall, and Polly Moran.
    The movie is now lost and remains one the most famous and eagerly sought of all lost films. The last known copy was destroyed in the 1967 MGM Vault fire. In 2002, Turner Classic Movies aired a reconstructed version using the original script and film stills.[1]
    The setting of the film is 1920s London. Sir Roger Balfour is found shot to death in his home. Inspector Burke (Lon Chaney) of Scotland Yard is called in to investigate. The suspects are Williams (the butler), Sir James Hamlin (Henry B. Walthall) and his nephew, Arthur Hibbs (Conrad Nagel). A suicide note is found and the case is supposedly closed.
    Five years later, the old residence of Balfour is taken up by a man in a beaver-skin hat, with large fangs and gruesome, sunken eyes. His assistant is a ghostly woman, with flowing robes and raven black hair. Could it be Balfour, returned from the dead?

22. jacobed

jacobed Well-Known Member

Much more adult. I know there was one scene where Hancock kills a woman he is having sex um Sort of like the first Scream movie.

23. gwynplaine

I remember reading somewhere that Eastwood would have liked to do one last Dirty Harry film, with an old Inspector Callahan, kind of "Unforgiven meets Dirty Harry". Unfortunately it never materialized:csad:

24. Gianakin_

And they were thinking of turning Gran Torino into that film.

25. Gianakin_

Think "Unfaithful" meets a darker Superman.