ABC's "Black-Ish"

Hypestyle

Superhero
Reaction score
Anthony Anderson, Tracee Ellis Ross, Laurence Fishburne star in this sitcom. An advertising executive (Anderson) and his physician wife (Ross) move to a predominately white suburb on the eve of the husband's new promotion. Wackiness ensues.

Spoilers!

Just based on the pilot, it's cool so far. I had already seen lots of the jokes/punchlines from the preview clips/ads, so I wasn't surprised by a lot. I was amused, if not fall-on-the-floor-laughing. But I hope that it maintains its momentum to be a fun sitcom that manages to make some social observations on race/class along the way. Looks like Anderson's character works at an advertising agency. So it looks like there's lots of opportunity for satirical ads to be created in-show.

..Seems like too many kids, with four. But hey, we'll see.
Rainbow: "...let's have some white yogurt.."
Jack & Diane (Youngest two): "Yayyyy!!!!" :o (just plain yogurt? at their age? bleh..)

The Andre/'Andy' sequence kind of fell flat with me. An alternate scenario could have been amusing, say if the son's name were spelled phonetically, and got detention for mouthing off to a classmate (or a teacher?) who initially insists that his name is "spelled wrong" ("Andray"!?!?!) Or maybe they could have called him Deondre and made a recurring joke among all the suburban-folk who ask him what the "D" stands for... (never mind, I'm spitballing..) ;)

...I'm not sure if the Fishburne character lives in the family home or not.
I dug the aside when Andy's friend casually starts fishing through the refrigerator, to dad's consternation...

... we haven't seen Rainbow's parents yet (wonder which parent is black? Heh.)

side observation for future shows:
Pops (Fishburne): "we're black, not African... they don't like us, no-way..."
maybe eventually they can explore "intra-cultural" issues among suburbanized black folks; in Andre and Rainbow's social circle of color, is there anybody who's from an immigrant African, Caribbean, background, etc.? Do they even share Andre's "we're losing touch..." angst?

The first episode was good and funny. It is nice to see Anthony Anderson return to comedy.

I really enjoyed it, I want them to cross over with Modern Family.

You can’t spell “smother” without “mother” — a lesson that will be abundantly clear now that Jenifer Lewis (Meet the Browns, Strong Medicine) has boarded black-ish in the recurring role of Dre’s (Anthony Anderson) overbearing mom.

Lewis’ character Ruby is described as follows: “She smothers pork chops with gravy, Dre with love, and would like to flat out smother [Dre's wife] Rainbow (Tracee Ellis Ross), who feels the same way about her.”

Lewis will make her first appearance later this season, according to the network.

In its series premiere last Wednesday, black-ish drew 11 million total viewers and a 3.3 rating, demonstrating 96 and 85 percent retention out of Modern Family. For comparison’s sake, Super Fun Night (which led out of Modern Family‘s season premiere in fall 2013) only managed 75 percent retention.

http://tvline.com/2014/09/30/black-ish-cast-jenifer-lewis-anthony-anderson-mother/

First 5 minutes, already hilarious.

Cant wait to see the two set of grandparents interact, I think if they ever do that, it would be funny.

I thought I wasnt going to watch this.
I thought the whole show was going to be about how someone isnt black because they don't do stereotypical black things, which is a view that always bugs me.

But the premiere wasnt bad. It was funny.
It was nice seeing Anthony Anderson in something good, I'm a pretty big fan of his. Hell I even watched season 1 of Guys With Kids because he was in it. It was also nice seeing Laurence Fisburne in something funny.

I think theyre going to drop the race identity thing in subsequent episodes though. A read a reviewer liken it to how Cougar Town stopped being about Courtney Cox trying to hook up with young dudes very early in the first season.

I too would like a cross over with Modern Family. It could work, both in California although Im not sure where in CA Modern Family is set. But I think it could be cool.
I think I'd rather the cross over be a Modern Family episode though, with the mockumentary format and all that

Is anyone keeping up with this show? I've found it laugh out loud funny every week and the real highlights have been the middle teenage son and the two youngest children. Oh, and Laurence Fishburne is killing it too.

Just a lot of fun, and plays beyond the premise of the title with some topical family lessons for people of all backgrounds, not just black families. I thoroughly recommend it to anybody on the fence.

I haven't seen the last episode yet, but definitely enjoying it so far. I like Anthony Anderson too, though not enough to give that Guys With Kids show a shot. That looked like pure craaaaaaap.

I wasn't impressed by the pilot. It read to me as the typical, unfunny, "black" sitcom. It didn't offer anything new or have anything interesting to say, and while I've always liked Anthony Anderson, I didn't like the first episode enough to keep watching.

I rarely give a show only one episode. Pilot episodes are usually very cumbersome and awkward. It isn't until you are three or four episodes in that you can get an idea of how a series is going to go.

So far I like Black-ish although it is as someone I read stated, about as innovative as anything else with the bumbling patriarch and the wife who is too good for him trope of sitcoms goes. Which is to say, not much. It puts the "black spin" on it but it doesn't deviate otherwise.

I like this show. I watch it every week and I laugh quite a bit, but they really need to move past the "I grew up poor and black so my kids need to know what it's like" thing.

It has already gotten old. I thought it was old by the end of the pilot

Last edited:
latest episodes dealt with Andre Sr.'s mother. Interesting.

I like this show. I watch it every week and I laugh quite a bit, but they really need to move past the "I grew up poor and black so my kids need to know what it's like" thing.

It has already gotten old. I thought it was old by the end of the pilot
Some of the stuff may be old but I can still relate to every episode. I loved the episode about The Nod a week before the episode came on my wife (who is white) was asking me why do I do that. Also the episode about spanking. Everything is still funny to me.

Laurence Fishburne is only nine years older than Anthony Anderson

This past episode is how I would respond if my mother ever started dating again.

Really heavy episode last night.

Im really glad they showed all the different perspectives.

18403188_10155319996271617_6332355853773205703_n.jpg

Great. Been a good season. Loved seeing Rashida Jones show up as Rainbows sister.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"