Inhumans ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Limits are good. If MCU could make an unlimited number of films, we never would have gotten a DD with thematic weight as big as Netflix's and Kingpin would have been yet another wasted marvel baddie. Limits invite creativity and that's why the Netflix series are so popular, far more than they would be if they tried to be films. Those properties absolutely do not need film budgets, and would be much poorer entertainment if they were trying to meet a certain spectacle. Sure they need a better costume designer and tighter pacing, but throwing money at the problem does not fix Iron Fist, as we can see by giving the same creator even more money, he can't even dress the people right. Agents of SHIELD definitely didn't need to be a film to give us the same good spy fun that's been done excellently on tv budgets since Get Smart.

At some point, we need to credit the people who are jacking up the characters with their choices, and not call lack of creativity and interest a lack of money and simply hope more money will fix everything. DC is throwing more money at the problem and it hasn't given them much to show for it. Better promo posters do not make for better products.

Reportedly they have 100M to do 8 episodes. That's 12 million an episode. That's more than Rome or Game of Thrones. Does this photo look more expensive than Game of Thrones?

If not... is that because they don't have the *money* to make it look expensive, or they just don't have the talent?

Also have to remember that most of the money for Rome went into the sets and effects, no where near as much as wardrobe quality(definitely wardrobe quantity). I believe the same is true with Game of Thrones. Also, Inhumans have a large full cgi character that's gonna eat up a lot of money while more of GoT is practical mixed with green screens and camera effects.

Is that true? That's insanely high for a TV show but still if this was a movie, it would get a higher budget for a more or less 2 hours of screentime.

Well that's why Rome was canceled after 2 season(when it was planned for five) they had great ratings but budget was way too big to justify it. InHumans are banking on IMAX ticket sales to help make a profit. If it wasn't for that it would have a much smaller budget, or same budget but more episodes. It's an interesting strategy. Hopefully it works out

I guess I am one of the few that doesn't find the picture all that objectionable. The only thing that I find a bit disappointing is that Black Bolt looks a bit plain. I think adding a crown with the tuning fork at the center would've paid homage to the comic design while also conveying the sense that this is royalty. As it is, there is nothing that really tells me that this is a royal family.

I get the Medusa criticisms but I'm going to reserve judgement until I see the trailer. I think maybe she will look better in motion.
The more I look at Black Bolt, the more I like it. I agree, I definitely want a tuning fork crown to appear.

Medusa looks like a bad photoshop job, but I wonder if fake looking hair will make the cgi hair seem more consistent.

I dont like the way Medusa looks

Ohmigosh, this is the guy that did Iron Fist?

It's clearly a wig for Medusa, and she probably shaved FOR the wig, and now we've got this to show for it, and it's really Buck's fault. I mean... just... how hard is this:

bKMIvPj.jpg

Sure you get rid of the mask, for acting and theming sake, fine, but you just... put her in a dress and add fifteen years to her face instead? Geez...

thats the same actress? She looks so old in costume

They really cant have Medusa in that ugly ass wig during the show can they? Serinda is a beautiful woman, they are doing her no justice in that photo. Either get a better wig or have her dye her hair.

It's worth mentioning that Entertainment Weekly has never done a shoot of this kind that looks good in their entire existence. I would bet that Medusa won't look anywhere near that bad in the actual TV show, especially with the CGI they're going to use.

Scott Buck please continue to do Inhumans and stay the F*** away from Iron Fist.

Thank you.

I don't give a rat's a$$ about Inhumans. It's going to suck the day I learn that it is not based in Attilan.

I knew they weren't gonna be in spandex and masks (called that forever ago) but Jesus, this is like, Smallville level bad.
heh oh come on they all aren't THAT bad....Medusa is looking to me more like a Ginger Wednesday Adams

I think Marvel will hire Scott Buck for Fantastic Four.

Except Jeph Loeb (who, like a dumbassm hired him for both this and Iron Fist) doesn't and WILL NOT have a say on the film front. If Inhumans tanks, then he needs to consider his resignation and retirement plans to spare everyone further embarrassment

Except Jeph Loeb (who, like a dumbassm hired him for both this and Iron Fist) doesn't and WILL NOT have a say on the film front. If Inhumans tanks, then he needs to consider his resignation and retirement plans to spare everyone further embarrassment

:funny:

Also have to remember that most of the money for Rome went into the sets and effects, no where near as much as wardrobe quality(definitely wardrobe quantity). I believe the same is true with Game of Thrones. Also, Inhumans have a large full cgi character that's gonna eat up a lot of money while more of GoT is practical mixed with green screens and camera effects.
What are you talking about? GoT has fantastic costume work (way better then what you see here), and unlike this show, there is no contemporary outfit for use in the background. They also have 3 huge dragons to CGI every season, along with other uses of CGI. Plus they are paying their actors millions per episode.

About the hair:

1. It should be dark red, not orange. I'm going to go ahead and say that the orange hair is most if not all of the reason why Serinda looks older here.

2. I know why they didn't use a mask, but I think it actually would have helped hide that this is a wig. A good compromise would be a forehead-covering headband/circlet sort of thing, which would also tie into the royalty aspect. It could even crest up above the hairline to help save money on the CGI, since making the hair along the scalp move when her hair's flying around would be part of the problem.

Is that true? That's insanely high for a TV show but still if this was a movie, it would get a higher budget for a more or less 2 hours of screentime.

Yeah, apparently Hawaii is expecting 80-100 mil into their economy, which suggests the budget is actually even higher, with some of it going towards SFX work done in Cali. Linkity Link and so while a film might look more expensive... meh.

On the same token, you actually don't need a lot of sets for Attilan, you need like 3-4, which you can use all season and go back and forth between Earth action and more contemporary affordable sets. Instead of torpedoing a show by having a CGI fishman suck up your money, do a prosthetic fishman, like everyone else who has ever done a fishman. Rome and especially Game of Thrones absolutely did great looking challenging wardrobe for their elite characters on top of great looking less ornate wardrobe for all of their rank and file on top of their many sets and effects, and Inhumans wouldn't need to do super costumes for nearly as many characters, wouldn't need nearly as many sets, doesn't need fully CGI characters, I mean Disney owns Jim Henson Studios for crying in the sunshine. This show looks cheap because the showrunner is a duck, not because they didn't have sufficient money to put out a kickass gorgeous looking Inhumans show.

I dont like the way Medusa looks

thats the same actress? She looks so old in costume

Yup. Same hero, new boots.

No idea why the apparently intentionally made her look older. It really is mindboggling.

Last edited:
I'm surprised how annoyed I am Gorgan hasn't got long hair. Braids, dreads, even a full blown afro would have been cool.

I'm pretty torn with the rest.
*Blackbolt and Karnak look pretty good.
*Neutral with Crystal and Maximus (Miss his rough hair. Promo pic looks too neat).
*Medusa looks shocking, but I'll wait to see how she looks in motion though.

Last edited:
Edited above.
I add another link above.

Cosplayers have made better and more faithful looking Inhumans costumes then this crap. This should have never been a live action TV series. It should have been animated.

It should have been a live action film.

The recent animated series from Marvel are crap.

Limits are good. If MCU could make an unlimited number of films, we never would have gotten a DD with thematic weight as big as Netflix's and Kingpin would have been yet another wasted marvel baddie. Limits invite creativity and that's why the Netflix series are so popular, far more than they would be if they tried to be films. Those properties absolutely do not need film budgets, and would be much poorer entertainment if they were trying to meet a certain spectacle. Sure they need a better costume designer and tighter pacing, but throwing money at the problem does not fix Iron Fist, as we can see by giving the same creator even more money, he can't even dress the people right. Agents of SHIELD definitely didn't need to be a film to give us the same good spy fun that's been done excellently on tv budgets since Get Smart.

The MCU films are also limited when it comes to screentime and the amount of characters that they could properly use in a single film. But money seems to be the obvious limitations when it comes to these shows, so many hours of footage to produce under a smaller budget. Like Spider-Man is also a street hero, and I believe Daredevil should get action scenes in the scale of the previous Spider-Man films. But no, its mostly fight scenes in hallways, roof tops, dark alley and after two seasons, King Pin was the only villain they have introduced? Another recent example is how China looked so cheap in Iron Fist. I was like ohnew setting but lol they just showed a dock in which could be filmed anywhere. The cinematic experience is just quite not there with these TV shows.

Also not every movie needs a budget over 100 million. A modest budget of 50 million for a two hour movie for the likes of Netflix heroes would be fine. Look at Deadpool, Salt, Lucy and the upcoming film Atomic Blonde. I envisioned those shows to look like Atomic Blonde instead of looking like a cheap web series stretched to a 13 episode run which are quite a chore to finish.

I also believe that they could give justice to King Pin in a span of 2hours or a couple of films. Dr Ock, Joker TDK, Magneto, Stryker X2... Those villains didn't need to appear in lengthy 13 episodes to be developed well. Marvel studios handling villains is just their biggest weakness they have yet to overcome. But it can be done.

Also for binge watching purposes, Its just more fun to watch a couple of MCU films instead of binge watching a full season of a Marvel Netflix series or Aos. Like if you ask me which one to choose to for me to watch later, phase 1 or Dardevil 1, I'd instantly choose phase1.

Last edited:
Maybe they are saving most of the money on the effects. Not even Marvel can make people spend money on Imax tickets if it does not look appealing enough.

I wonder if the Imax trailer was attached to Guardians 2.

Guardians, Avengers, Ultimate spiderman and Agents of smash. The Inhumans also appeared there.

The MCU films are also limited when it comes to screentime and the amount of characters that they could properly use in a single film. But money seems to be the obvious limitations when it comes to these shows, so many hours of footage to produce under a smaller budget. Like Spider-Man is also a street hero, and I believe Daredevil should get action scenes in the scale of the previous Spider-Man films. But no, its mostly fight scenes in hallways, roof tops, dark alley and after two seasons, King Pin was the only villain they have introduced? Another recent example is how China looked so cheap in Iron Fist. I was like ohnew setting but lol they just showed a dock in which could be filmed anywhere. The cinematic experience is just quite not there with these TV shows.

Also not every movie needs a budget over 100 million. A modest budget of 50 million for a two hour movie for the likes of Netflix heroes would be fine. Look at Deadpool, Salt, Lucy and the upcoming film Atomic Blonde. I envisioned those shows to look like Atomic Blonde instead of looking like a cheap web series stretched to a 13 episode run which are quite a chore to finish.

I also believe that they could give justice to King Pin in a span of 2hours or a couple of films. Dr Ock, Joker TDK, Magneto, Stryker X2... Those villains didn't need to appear in lengthy 13 episodes to be developed well. Marvel studios handling villains is just their biggest weakness they have yet to overcome. But it can be done.

Also for binge watching purposes, Its just more fun to watch a couple of MCU films instead of binge watching a full season of a Marvel Netflix series or Aos. Like if you ask me which one to choose to for me to watch later, phase 1 or Dardevil 1, I'd instantly choose phase1.

The reason we know the obvious problem isn't really the problem, since it gets solved without more money. Kingpin wasn't the only villain introduced, but he didn't cost any more money than the worst villain they introduced. The same amount of money was used for DD's locations as IFs, it was Scott Bunk's foolish decision to send them to China (that story bit is absolutely ABSURD) that made it look cheap. If the money made it look cheap, then all the things with the same amount of money would look just as cheap, cause and effect.

Spider-Man is so incredibly superhuman compared to Daredevil, if DD was doing action stunts of that same scale (which iirc, he was in Fleck's DD) I personally would find it laughably unrealistic. Certainly some would enjoy it, but clearly many have praised the non-superhuman DD combat, far more than the SM combat was praised.

While I appreciate moves like Lucy and Salt and Atomic Blonde for what they are, they fail to capture the large sprawling mythos these kinds of characters have, which gives them so much more relevance than Lucy or Salt or Atomic Blonde could ever have. Deadpool is suited for a movie because he is a character who doesn't really have much of "his own" mythos and is honestly be handled in doses. It sounds like you like big splashes instead of deep dives, which is fine, but at least acknowledge that there's no room for more splashes in the Marvel Cinematic pool, and that deep dives can be just as thrilling for many, even if not you personally.

It sounds like, at the end of the day, I think these characters are bigger, narratively, than the films, and you feel their bigger in spectacle than TV. You point to IF as proof that 13 episodes drags and looks cheap at 40 million, I point to DD as proof that it isn't the 40M that looks cheap, it's Scott Buck. You point to low budget films as things that look and feel good to you, but, in my eyes, Game of Thrones looks every bit as good as those 50M dollar films, and Inhumans has even more money and less it needs to pay for.

The main cost for these shows and movies are sets and costumes, right, well, 100M+ for a tv show of 8 episodes doesn't have to pay for many more sets, but has a lot more money to do so. This is why stretching all that money out doesn't necessary dilute down to being four 25M dollar 2hr movies, because you essentially spend 50M making a 2 hour movie on par with those others, and then spend 50M essentially on action for sets costumes and fight scenes you already have, with the expectation that your story will be deeper and more engrossing and twisty and fun.

But both of our points are moot, really. The MCU can't make Inhumans (much less DD and co) and Scott Buck *is* in charge, so... life continues.

Last edited:
It's worth mentioning that Entertainment Weekly has never done a shoot of this kind that looks good in their entire existence. I would bet that Medusa won't look anywhere near that bad in the actual TV show, especially with the CGI they're going to use.

Great point. I will reserve judgment until the first trailer

Ah, it's the magazine's fault. The costumes can't just look bad on their own. Certainly not.

Also, teaser:

[YT]YP9lmvrFqWM[/YT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members