Inhumans ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 2

Discussion in 'Past Marvel Series' started by Thread Manager, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Ok thanks. I've just watched the first episode, don't think the 2nd one is available yet for me.

Thanks.

2. ludovica Daddy Feige notice me!

New theories: Maximus gets time travel powers or it was all in his head.
    I really want things to reset...

3. Matt Mortem Karloff is King

I'm on episode four, having started the show last night. I think there's a lot to like in the show and that it's nowhere near as bad as something like Iron Fist, but that said it's definitely a disappointment. A lot of the writing is a bit bland and the overall plot seems to have nowhere exciting to go. I wished we would have gotten and Inhumans movie instead.

4. Surfer Sentinel of the Spaceways

I am with you on that. The show really feels like we are settling. I don't hate it, but I just know it could be so much more.

Also, don't forget to vote for who you think would win in the Hulk-Buster Vs Abomination MCU battle going on now.
    //forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535485

Surfer

5. KevTravels Registered

whats the budget of the series compared to Agents of Shield or Luke Cage/Daredevil on Netflix?

In fact how does it rank to all comic book series including The Flash and Supergirl?

Because it literally makes no sense for the $80 million figure if the show barely looks above syndicated series value. Like that show X-Factor from the early 20th century. A pretty low budget syndicated show.

6. Mike Murdock Registered

The Netflix shows are a little over One Million per episode based on the initial announcement of 60 million for four shows.

7. KevTravels Registered

they can't be that low can they? i thought it was like 40 or 60 million for each season of the series.

even Stranger Things cost 6 million an episode during season 1. I'm sure even Gotham is at 3 million.

8. Mike Murdock Registered

Never mind, I just checked. Don't know where I was getting 60. The announcement was 200 Million for four shows. 3.8 Million. Sorry about that.

9. Random490 Registered

I think it was because the initial deal was for 60 episodes of content. 13 episodes for four first seasons and 8 episodes for defenders. Also that's just the first seasons, each show gets a separate renewal deal with would probably include more. It's important to remember that the netflix series are fairly lite on big special effects, a good chunk of the money is spent on filming in NYC. AoS and Inhumans are very special effects heavy show. Specially AoS which has a lot more special effects (and really good ones too at least for network television). Another thing is AoS has been on the chopping block for cancellations not because the ratings were bad, but because they were not good enough. You know ABC would rather order another less effects and action heavy show because they'll get more of a return per dollar spent.

The difference between Inhumans and all other superhero shows is that the showrunner apparently only cares about being under budget than telling a good story. Don't get me wrong, if you can't handle the budget that will cancel a show no matter how good it is. If GoT was the monster hit out of the gate it would probably have ended up like Rome. The best showrunner is one with can come under budget without sacrificing quality of story. However credit for this disaster should also be given to ABC and IMAX for what I'm assuming to be and unforgiving pre production schedule. I'd bet if we had a month or two of decent writers polishing the scripts we would have, at the very least, a passable show.

10. Mike Murdock Registered

That's probably it.

In fairness to Scott Buck, if that's why he was hired, that's what he's going to do. I don't know if he has the talent to make something better given unlimited time and money, but I don't think it's fair to say that's all he cares about.

11. Random490 Registered

I should say "appears to not care" or is low priority for him. He's had that reputation for a while and Inhumans just appears to be the worst demonstration of it.

12. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

Could Marvel deliver a TV show that is as talked about as Game of Thrones, This is Us and Stranger Things? Like to me, I see these shows just as their second priority to them, the first is the movies. Like even shows with 22 episode per season like Lost and Heroes managed to be both critical success and ratings winner. But Marvel cannot just get it done even with fewer episodes.

13. Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

I think they missed and opportunity with the Inhumans. If done right, it could have been GoT's like. But going out "cheap" didn't help their cause. I really don't know how, with the budget they used, why would they cut corners. It makes no sense. :huh:

14. Random490 Registered

The reason those shows are huge is because they had a unique and uncompromising that not only make them stand out but create such a fanbase to get people talking. They were all about interesting characters in fascinating situations told in dynamics ways. Lost and Heroes (well season 1 Heroes) both because successes because how the characters were written and how well they story was presented. Lost is one of my favorite shows of all time and big thing for me was that every character felt unique and 3 dimensional. When the characters talked if felt natural, not just stating their feelings and situation to the audience.

Interesting cinematography and well written dialog is what's killing this show.

Well comparing the source materials there was no way Inhumans could ever grab people like GoT or even be on the same playing field.

15. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

I was reading a couple issues of the '98 series and my first thoughts on showrunners were the guys currently do SyFy shows, the Vertigo shows, Neil Gaiman adaptations, and Noah Hawley.

Of course, that would take a reboot since AoS and this show seem very adamant on their version of the NuHumans and Inhumans.

16. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

Gotg and and the other MCU films proved that Marvel can turn something less popular than the X-Men a success at the box office. And as if Marvel is that loyal to the source material, like even if the source material of Inhumans isn't great, they could take elements from it and create a whole new story.

And since the Terrigen Mist was spread throughout 616, it was revealed that there are more Inhuman civilizations out there aside from Atilan and the Inhumans stories also spread out in the outer space, with the Kree and the other alien species.

#366 psylockolussus, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  17. KevTravels Registered

No worries. It's still quite small. I gotta imagine the newer seasons of LC and DD; they up the budget

18. KevTravels Registered

I don't get why AoS has to have 22 episodes a season.

It might be even better if it was 13 episodes. Have extra cash to splurge on such a short run and it'd be easier than having so many filler episodes.

19. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

Syndication I guess. More episodes produced, more syndication money.

20. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

I don't think Inhuman could match Game Of thrones but I do think we could of got a lot better adaptation than we got.

The source material isn't that much of a issue. A good screenwriter could elevate the material if they found the right approach.

21. Random490 Registered

Also it's about network television's general approach, which is different than how subscription channels like HBO work. Syndication is only about how much money they can make in licensing and royalties. For new shows it's all about having a strong audience who will be glued to the tv and more likely stay on the channel during the commercials so they don't miss anything. Research had shown that tv viewership was highest in May and November, because they were right before months where people go on vacation and thus, watch less tv.

So that's why you have shows premiere in September, when summer is over and less people are on vacation, mid season finale in November before the winter holidays, and season finales in May before summer. So you want a series to hit all those marks while making it weekly so it becomes a part of people's weekly routines and therefore have a loyal viewership. The reason 22 episodes is a magic number is that not only does it cover most of the weeks between September and May but it also ensures steady year round work for actors, writers, and the crew. So not only would less episodes mean less ad revenue for the year, but also that the works have to find other jobs in that year.

Now streaming services like netflix and on demand is changing that model and the research my be out of date. But it's a reliable system for their revenue.

Also fewer episodes doesn't mean a higher budget, because the networks has to not only make their money back but enough of a profit to make the entire endeavor worth it to investors. For example (and keeping numbers simple) if AoS cost $1 million to make and advertise then they'd get $22 million for the season. If there was only 13 episodes they're not gonna get $22 millions but $13, maybe less since the network is getting less content and therefore less revenue. Another thing is that, for example, if AoS cost $1 million to create and makes $2 million back giving them a $1 million profit. But if say a police procedural show gets the same ratings, also making $2 million, but on a budget of a quarter million, then the network is gonna want to make more shows like that since they are getting far more than what they put in. Which is why AoS needed Disney to pull rank on ABC. It's also why awful shows can go on for a decade and great shows get canceled before the first season airs.

It's easy to say from a creative stand point to say how much the budget and episode count should be, but it matters more what the guys signing the checks wants or else no show.

When I was comparing the source material I was just saying GoT is on another level of writing compared to 99% of materials out there. So thinking any show was gonna be anywhere on that level is wishful thinking and something that was never in the cards for inHumans on ABC.

22. eon001 Registered

Has anyone read the current story INHUMANS: ONCE AND FUTURE KINGS ?

http://marvel.com/comics/issue/63973/inhumans_once_and_future_kings_2017_1

It's actually has quite alot of similarities to the tv show.

Royal family on the run after being framed. Hiding out on earth.

It even has a B plot line involving Triton who's missing just like he is on the show.

It's set in the past when the family appear to be in there teens. It does a better job explaining the lore and developing the characters.

Would have been a great template for a mini series. I'll excited to see how the story wraps up. The art work is superb too.

23. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

The show has gotten better in the last few episodes. The writing has been much better, and the editing has been much better as well. I wonder if they fired the lead editor in the middle of production and replaced them, because there's a notable change.

Not sure that anything is going to save this show from cancellation.

24. Matt Mortem Karloff is King

Has anyone brought up the fact that Gorgon's hooves disappeared? Not this last episode, but the one before he was just walking around in boots.

25. BestGirl Reluctantly following Vought's orders

Professional reviewers have noted it.