About time for some info on The Dark Knight video game

went to game informer's official website check it out:

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200808/N08.0812.1226.23309.htm

gi_cover_batman.jpg

gi_cover_joker.jpg

that's old news, new reposrts claim that TDK game might still be actually in the works

Did you even read the article in the link?

That news is five days old. I hardly understand how anything that's happened since then could've potentially changed the game's fate.

-WsS?

I read on the Ign boards that someone has leaked that the game is complete, but they're delaying release for some reason. I did know the reason was a legitimate one but can't remember.

... and apparently its because they didn't want to release it with the film and have it spoil the movie.

I read on the Ign boards that someone has leaked that the game is complete, but they're delaying release for some reason. I did know the reason was a legitimate one but can't remember.

... and apparently its because they didn't want to release it with the film and have it spoil the movie.

I don't buy that at all. If that were the case, they would've announced it in some form or another at e3 this year. As is, the article in the link I posted estimated that they lost $100 million in sales. No reason under the sun is legitimate enough to just not release it. Especially if they had a finished product on their hands. Especially at that kind of a loss. More than likely, as the article said, the game just wasn't working out in the ways they wanted it to. So they canned it.

-WsS?

Lets be honest here. This is the Dark Knight videogame. Ties in with the biggest film in a very long time. I think that $100 million estimate is way off base. I mean few games make that anyway I presume, and the article is assuming its lost that because they've not released it. As a counter point, I propose they'll probably make the same on sales that they would have anyway, and that the articles estimation is a more likely number if noone at all buys it after its released.

TDK: The Videogame isn't coming. It's over and done with. Forget about it.

Electronc Arts CEO John Riccitiello:

Multiplayer: If you look at recent sales of the “Iron Man” game — it was a Sega game — it sold very well, was in the top 10 in NPD monthly sales in America despite very poor review scores. It showed that if you get a license, you don’t even need to worry too much about making a good game because people are going to buy it. You guys have, as you point out, both the talent to make top-quality games and the money to get top licenses. Do you feel like the EA has the ability or even the responsibility to redeem licensed games from the state a lot of them are in now?

Riccitiello: I don’t actually believe EA is in the business of exploiting other people’s licenses with bad quality games. I think what redeems our industry is quality, and I think we take a step back every time we take a license and exploit it with a crappy game. That’s not what we’re about.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/08/04/ea-vows-to-not-make-crappy-licensed-games/

Remember that this interview popped up just days after the estimate was revealed that they lost a potential $100 Million in sales.

Now, the real problem lies in that Pandemic, the developers, were bought up and are now owned by EA. So, even if WB tried to get the license to another publisher, the work done by an EA-owned studio won't be transferred over that easily. And, would you really want some other studio picking up where others have left off?

I think it's safe to say that TDK videogame is not happening. I really hope that I'm wrong.

TDK: The Videogame isn't coming. It's over and done with. Forget about it.

Electronc Arts CEO John Riccitiello:

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/08/04/ea-vows-to-not-make-crappy-licensed-games/

Remember that this interview popped up just days after the estimate was revealed that they lost a potential $100 Million in sales.

Now, the real problem lies in that Pandemic, the developers, were bought up and are now owned by EA. So, even if WB tried to get the license to another publisher, the work done by an EA-owned studio won't be transferred over that easily. And, would you really want some other studio picking up where others have left off?

I think it's safe to say that TDK videogame is not happening. I really hope that I'm wrong.

Riccitiello's quote could mean the opposite of your assumption...that the game is in fact coming out...but they're gonna wait until it's perfected.

This was also in the article you cite:

"To be specific, EA isn’t abandoning the development of licensed games. The company is just refusing to make “crappy” licensed games."

And have you read this?:

http://kotaku.com/5035832/first-details-on-the-new-batman-game

According to the Kotaku report the game seems pretty far along. Can you imagine all the money they will have blown (money invested and potential earnings) if they just cancelled it at this point?

Without an official announcement, let alone a release date, they've got plenty of freedom to tweak it to perfection from behind the curtain without worrying about public deadlines and scrutiny.

Besides, the frenzied anticipation and speculation surrounding the mystery of this game is probably higher than it would be if there was official confirmation and press coverage.

I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't eventually release a game at this point.

I'm sure this is going to confuse everyone further. I just got some news from [email protected], its this stupid fake person I yell at when I'm drunk on msn. But anyways, heres what spleak has to say today.

"Rumors are swirling that the secretive EA Batman game that no one seems to know anything about, is in fact a Grand Theft Auto like game where the caped crusader would prowl a massive re-creation of Gotham City. Do you think the rumors are true? "

Riccitiello's quote could mean the opposite of your assumption...that the game is in fact coming out...but they're gonna wait until it's perfected.

This was also in the article you cite:

"To be specific, EA isn’t abandoning the development of licensed games. The company is just refusing to make “crappy” licensed games."

And have you read this?:

http://kotaku.com/5035832/first-details-on-the-new-batman-game

According to the Kotaku report the game seems pretty far along. Can you imagine all the money they will have blown (money invested and potential earnings) if they just cancelled it at this point?

Without an official announcement, let alone a release date, they've got plenty of freedom to tweak it to perfection from behind the curtain without worrying about public deadlines and scrutiny.

Besides, the frenzied anticipation and speculation surrounding the mystery of this game is probably higher than it would be if there was official confirmation and press coverage.

I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't eventually release a game at this point.

damn i hope that is a legit news and not some phoney baloni.

well, it's dead then. Oh well, it probobly would be boring like the BB game. Arkham Asylum looks like the better game.

its not officially cancled, its all just speculation right now.

I really hope this game comes out. They'd be crazy to cancel this. They could do so much with it(even if it won't star Heath). If it ever does come out however, I want it to be something like Spider-Man 2 where you can freely travel through Gotham City Grand Theft Auto-style(instead of the Level crap we got in the BB game) and a combo system. Spiderman 2 was the only Comic-book Movie based game that truly satisfied me. Sadly, it still is. But anyways, the Batman: Arkham Asylum looks quite interesting. I wonder...

As publisher, does EA have the legal right to take Pandemic off the project and assign it to someone else...or finish it themselves? Has that ever happened before?

It's just hard to believe that a game being developed for as long as this one has would just get completely scrapped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"