Homecoming Action is this movies biggest flaw?

spiderman2

Superhero
Reaction score
So love the movie may see it a 2nd time tonight but does ever one agree that the movies biggest flaw was its action? I don't think the action was bad per say its just there wasn't really any fight that stood out in the movie and I would say this is the first Spider-Man movie were I can say there wasn't a fight that stood out. Spider-Man the last fight stood out for how violent it was. Spider-Man 2 the train fight for how creative it was and it may/still is like the best CBM fight of all time and that is saying something now that the movie is 15 years old and with the way tech is always improving. Even the bank fight was great with Spider-Man using his webs to pull stuff into ock while ock was trying to squezz spiderman's head. Spider-Man 3 fights like the harry peter fight early in the movie stood out and the last fight. Amazing Spider-Man 1 the school fight with the lizard has it was like the most spider like we have seen Spider-Man fight like in a Spider-Man movie before. Spider-Man 2 the last fight with electro stood out has it looked awesome and had awesome music and also the fight with goblin while short was very intise.

I wouldn't say the action was a flaw per se. More along the lines of generic. I did have a difficult time making out what was happening during the plane action setpiece at times because of the way it was shot, edited, and how dark it was.

The ferry shoulda been an evening set piece and the airplane a day time one.

In terms of setting, I actually thought this movie was pretty creative as far as action set pieces go. I've never seen anything in a CBM like a chase through a suburb or a fight on a beach at night with flaming debris.

Sure, it's not up to snuff with Raimi's action, but that's a tall order.

Definitely the film's weakest aspect.

Jon Watts is no Sam Raimi (but no one is).

I thought it was great.

Especially compared to the last two films.

Amazing had some really good fight scenes and I thought Webb would be able to step it up for the sequel. But was ultimately disappointed after the fact.

The Ferry sequence only has a short confrontation with Spider-Man and the Vulture but I thought it delivered in spades. I liked seeing Spider-Man fumble a bit through out the movie.

ItchyWebShooter and Barry Parker how come you 2 have not voted then?

I voted yes. But not in a sense that the movie was dragged down by them. Just that they were not as impressive as they could have been. The Spidey movies already set a high standard for action scenes. So has the MCU. And I don't think Homecoming hit those heights. The action scenes were adequate.

I voted yes. But not in a sense that the movie was dragged down by them. Just that they were not as impressive as they could have been. The Spidey movies already set a high standard for action scenes. So has the MCU. And I don't think Homecoming hit those heights. The action scenes were adequate.

You said it best. The action scenes weren't bad, but they were the biggest flaw in that they couldn't live up to the train fight from Spider-Man 2, or really any of Raimi's action sequences.

Raimi really had an eye for fight choreography and keeping everything cohesive. Regardless of anyone's feelings on Spider-Man 3 it's hard to deny the appeal of the action sequences in that movie as well. The subway fight with Sandman is particularly good, as is the alleyway fight with Harry.

This movie's action scenes were adequate, while much of what came before was breathtaking.

I wouldn't say the action was a flaw per se. More along the lines of generic. I did have a difficult time making out what was happening during the plane action setpiece at times because of the way it was shot, edited, and how dark it was.

I have heard people say that about having a hard time making out the plane action setpiece but I had zero issue making it out.

In terms of setting, I actually thought this movie was pretty creative as far as action set pieces go. I've never seen anything in a CBM like a chase through a suburb or a fight on a beach at night with flaming debris.

Sure, it's not up to snuff with Raimi's action, but that's a tall order.

The beach fight and with the background lights were nice its just the fight its self was nothing like crazy creative like the rami fights.

You said it best. The action scenes weren't bad, but they were the biggest flaw in that they couldn't live up to the train fight from Spider-Man 2, or really any of Raimi's action sequences.

Raimi really had an eye for fight choreography and keeping everything cohesive. Regardless of anyone's feelings on Spider-Man 3 it's hard to deny the appeal of the action sequences in that movie as well. The subway fight with Sandman is particularly good, as is the alleyway fight with Harry.

This movie's action scenes were adequate, while much of what came before was breathtaking.

Yeah I don't think they were bad just nothing that really stood out like the other movies did like I said. Spider-Man because of his power set has a lot of interesting things you can do with him in fights and we saw that in like ever Spider-Man movie before this but didn't really see it in this movie. Even Spider-Man 3 while a very flawed movie had some really good/great action and was not the reason the movie was a disappointment. The movie is great so its not a big issue but sill a issue over all and something I would like to see improved in the sequel.

Action sequences being adequate don't make it a flaw. If they were inadequate then yes it would be considered a flaw.

Action sequences being adequate don't make it a flaw. If they were inadequate then yes it would be considered a flaw.

We're nitpicking a movie that's holding strong at over 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. Maybe flaw isn't the right word, but the action is the weakest aspect of the movie. Dunno about anyone else, but I wasn't disappointed. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised in the future, that's all.

The choice of settings and their natural integration into the story were wonderful and fresh, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't sorely miss the high-flying, exhilarating Spidey action of the Raimi movies. That's not a flaw for the movie as this Spidey isn't ready for that, but just something I miss and hope to see in the sequels.

When this Spider-Man moves to the big city and starts web-slinging off skyscrapers, that's when the fun will start.

It's also interesting to contrast the action in Homecoming to say the Batfleck warehouse scene from BvS.

The action in SMH serves and advances the story, it's fresh and fitting but not really standout by itself.

The warehouse scene is super cool Bat-action yet its placement in the story is horrible and it's not satisfying at all outside the context of seeing Bat-fu.

If I wanted to see a fight scene from the Arkham games I'd rather just fire up the game and actively do it myself.

It's not the biggest flaw of the film to me, but yes I didn't particularly enjoy the action. It was one of my negatives for the film.

Action wasn't our reward.

And with that brilliant reference, you win this thread.

That having been said, I don't believe that action was the film's greatest flaw, but rather a symptom of its greatest flaw. The Spider-Man we saw in Civil War was confident, aware of his environment, and remarkably competent in combat. Between his efficacy in combat, and his trademark quips, the Spider-Man we saw in Civil War was the quintessential Spidey.

Although this movie was set many months after Civil War, the Spidey we saw in Homecoming lacks any of the grace or skill he had previously displayed. It was almost as if we were watching an entirely different Spider-Man, or as if this movie should have been set before Civil War. Too much focus was put on Peter's struggle to become "the hero without the suit" (a theme better left to Iron Man 3), and the consequence of that focus was a Spider-Man that just didn't offer any interesting fights.

Yea we haven't really seen spidey go all out since the raimi movies. Imo asm Peter was weak and this Peter just doesn't know how fight properly even tho he's insanely strong. I mean I want to see more of spidey going full on. I laughed when he and vulture were on the truck and he jumped up and knocked himself out.

I think they were trying to depict a Peter Parker who has yet to have mastered his powers, especially when it comes to combat, which leads to awkward, somewhat "accidental" action.

Which is weird, because CIVIL WAR depicted a Peter Parker who had more or less mastered his powers, especially when it came to combat.

peter barely being able to swing properly in the first spider-man was him being yet to master his powers yet that action sequence is intense and amazing.

it's a fallacy to equate holland's inexperience with less impressive action.

hell, jackie chan fumbles around in a lot of his fight scenes and theyre all entertaining as hell.

john watts needs to lift his game a bit for the sequel imo.

And with that brilliant reference, you win this thread.

That having been said, I don't believe that action was the film's greatest flaw, but rather a symptom of its greatest flaw. The Spider-Man we saw in Civil War was confident, aware of his environment, and remarkably competent in combat.Between his efficacy in combat, and his trademark quips, the Spider-Man we saw in Civil War was the quintessential Spidey.

Although this movie was set many months after Civil War, the Spidey we saw in Homecoming lacks any of the grace or skill he had previously displayed. It was almost as if we were watching an entirely different Spider-Man, or as if this movie should have been set before Civil War. Too much focus was put on Peter's struggle to become "the hero without the suit" (a theme better left to Iron Man 3), and the consequence of that focus was a Spider-Man that just didn't offer any interesting fights.
Uh, not quite? He had a few fumbles throughout that scene, in the same consistent manner as in this movie.

I think the overall cheap quality of filmmaking was its biggest flaw. This is definitely a movie I wouldn't rewatch. The lack of drama and engaging storytelling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"