Days of Future Past Actors from original trilogy on First Class sequel with Days of Future Past - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
She had enough to do in X2, I thought.

She was the female lead in X1, but her main arc was wrapped by the end of that film (though he found a way to continue said arc by her relationship with Bobby). In X2, the female lead shifted to Jean.

The problem with X3 is that they ignored the Rogue at the end of X1 who finally felt like she found a place where she fit in, or the Rogue in X2 who was becoming more comfortable with her mutation. Instead we got the Rogue from the beginning of X1. The scared little girl who only knew how to runaway.

Last edited:

She was the female lead in X1, but her main arc was wrapped by the end of that film (though he found a way to continue said arc by her relationship with Bobby). In X2, the female lead shifted to Jean.

Meh she was still extremely scared of life and other than her great moment with mystique and magneto when she started removing her glove.... About the only other thing she did was grab an ankle and put out a fire...

I don't really enjoy seeing rogue be so passive, id like to of seen her use her abilities in an active way... By borrowing abilities from her team mates and more moments like that magneto scene.

It was a mistake turning her into kitty pryde 2.0 from the beginning imo

Meh she was still extremely scared of life and other than her great moment with mystique and magneto when she started removing her glove.... About the only other thing she did was grab an ankle and put out a fire...

I don't really enjoy seeing rogue be so passive, id like to of seen her use her abilities in an active way... By borrowing abilities from her team mates and more moments like that magneto scene.

It was a mistake turning her into kitty pryde 2.0 from the beginning imo

Well as you already pointed out, she DID do those things in X2. But you just wanted MOUR. Lol.

The problem with X3 is that they ignored the Rogue at the end of X1 who finally felt like she found a place where she fit in, or the Rogue in X2 who was becoming more comfortable with her mutation. Instead we got the Rogue from the beginning of X1. The scared little girl who only knew how to runaway.

I always thought it was odd that Rogue was set up as a lead/prominent character in X1 but then kind of disappeared in X2 and was hardly in X3 at all. I think that Jean took over as female lead because the studio most likely wanted Wolverine to have a romantic female lead not a daughter-like one.

Well as you already pointed out, she DID do those things in X2. But you just wanted MOUR. Lol.

2 very small things where (she still didn't do much) i mean.. how visually effective is making a fire stop ?????? that's an incredibly boring use of her abilities..

infact.. the only scene from X2 i liked of rogue was the scene with magneto and mystique.. it's the only true glimpse of the "rogue" i know and love from the comics.

I always thought it was odd that Rogue was set up as a lead/prominent character in X1 but then kind of disappeared in X2 and was hardly in X3 at all. I think that Jean took over as female lead because the studio most likely wanted Wolverine to have a romantic female lead not a daughter-like one.

I don't think she disappeared at all. But as I said, her major arc was done at the end of X1, just like Logan's arc ended at the end of X2.

But Jean was on the back burner in X1, and because they wanted to continue that storyline in X2, she got front burner treatment.

i had friends who after seeing X2 were like "that was so sad! Jean and Wolverine are totally meant to be together"

i was like *le sigh*

making Hugh/Wolverine a leading man imo was just as much the best thing to happen to the franchise as it was also the worst. Yes, the flirting between wolverine and jean is important... but unfortunately so many other characters (including jean herself) suffered from it.

I don't think she disappeared at all. But as I said, her major arc was done at the end of X1, just like Logan's arc ended at the end of X2.

But Jean was on the back burner in X1, and because they wanted to continue that storyline in X2, she got front burner treatment.

I have mixed feelings about that... Rogues story was far from over.. at the beginning of X1 we saw a strong adventurous and confident woman trying to find her place in the world and while she ended up finding "a place" she was far from confident. I think Rogues journey to adulthood was far from over at the end of X1... even though her "plot point of the film" was.

And yes, while not everyone can be front and center in these films and they must be rotated. I do think Singer could have utilized the time spent on rogue a bit better.

I have mixed feelings about that... Rogues story was far from over.. at the beginning of X1 we saw a strong adventurous and confident woman trying to find her place in the world and while she ended up finding "a place" she was far from confident. I think Rogues journey to adulthood was far from over at the end of X1... even though her "plot point of the film" was.

And yes, while not everyone can be front and center in these films and they must be rotated. I do think Singer could have utilized the time spent on rogue a bit better.

I understand where you're coming from. But I think he did continue her arc in X2, despite feeling that her "main" arc was completed in the first film.

In X1 she was scared of her powers and longing for a place to call home. At the end of that movie she found a home with people who accepted her for who and what she was.

In X2, that was continued. We saw her starting to accept who she is and what she can do. Being more comfortable with her abilities, and deciding to explore a relationship with another person.

It was X3 that crapped on all of that and reversed her to who she was at the beginning of X1.

I'm not even taking X3 into account of this (though singers whole "eh i'm going to put X-men on the back burner to do Superman) still does upset me because he is responsible to some degree for the drama and crap that went down with X3)

but ignoring X3 completely... he really gave us no real set-up for rogue in X2 as to what she'd continue to be other than eventually a "part of the team" I think more could have been done with her... she, cyclops, and storm were easily the most crapped on characters in all the films... While the X-men movies are great films... some of the characters are soooo very far from how we know them in the books.

As I said if you take Rogue when she first Joined the X-men with Kitty Pryde and Jubilee meeting up with Wolverine on his own you get Rogue from films.

If Rogue makes the cut for Days of future Past they may want to recall her close relationship with wolverine especilly from first X-Men by having them work to rescue other surviving mutants.Plus If Iceman makes the cut It may because they want to remind people of their relationship.

Some people just wanted them to copy the rogue from Animated series.Which was never going to happen.Plus there Is more to Rogue than her relationship with Gambit.
Rogue with Iceman was a clue they never had plans for Gambit as a key player In films.

As I said if you take Rogue when she first Joined the X-men with Kitty Pryde and Jubilee meeting up with Wolverine on his own you get Rogue from films.

If Rogue makes the cut for Days of future Past they may want to recall her close relationship with wolverine especilly from first X-Men by having them work to rescue other surviving mutants.Plus If Iceman makes the cut It may because they want to remind people of their relationship.

Some people just wanted them to copy the rogue from Animated series.Which was never going to happen.Plus there Is more to Rogue than her relationship with Gambit.
Rogue with Iceman was a clue they never had plans for Gambit as a key player In films.

and once again that's not what i'm talking about. I'm not focused on a single era of rogue but as a window into her iconic self. past and present that makes her who she is.

it's a vastly huge mistake as well to bring characters to the screen who do not even remotely embody there most "classic/definitive/iconic" self... whether people like it or not the Strong southern belle with an off and on relationship with gambit is incredibly integral to her character (as well as her relationship with mystique) stripping away that is like stripping Juggernaut of his relationship with Xavier and making him a mutant (see how that turned out?) or Showing Emma Frost as a hero and never alluding to her ever being a villain, or giving us Storm without her African heritage.

yes, at the time these films were created the studios found it much riskier to get away with somethings... but I think the films would have been fine if they did keep some familiar aspects in-tact.

They did a stellar job with Magneto, Mystique, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Xavier, and Jean... unfortunately everyone else turned out to be a hollow shell of who they should be.

I realized some days ago, that the whole net kind of hate Singer for leaving X3 and the movie was a dissapointment thanks to him.... and many fans loved FC and praise Vaughn

but why does almost everyone forget that it was Matthew Vaughn who left X3 some weeks ago?

THAT was the reason X3 was so hated, because he didnt do his job, and as we have seen on FC, he would have done a better job than Ratner, and the movie would have probably had 2 hours running time, like FC.

I realized some days ago, that the whole net kind of hate Singer for leaving X3 and the movie was a dissapointment thanks to him.... and many fans loved FC and praise Vaughn

but why does almost everyone forget that it was Matthew Vaughn who left X3 some weeks ago?

THAT was the reason X3 was so hated, because he didnt do his job, and as we have seen on FC, he would have done a better job than Ratner, and the movie would have probably had 2 hours running time, like FC.

Vaughn left X3 because at the time Fox and Singer were still at war with eachother, and saw that the whole situation was a mess and backed out. No one should fault him for that... the script was already written i believe as well.. they just wanted a puppet to come in and direct it... which is why we got Ratner.

it's not Vaughn's fault at all

he was the director signed by the studio with enough time to do it.

It was the job he HAD to do. But he left, for whatever reason.

If he would have directed, he would have a more quality hand in the movie direction, the style, tone, and all of that.

Maybe Vaughn should REALLY look into the films he signs on first. Really investigate if he has it in him to do the films before unceremoniously leaving productions high and dry. It would be ok if this happened only once but he's left a lot of big productions with but little time to scramble to find a replacement. That's not professional at all. So I would say he was partly to blame for how X3 turned out. Of course Singer shares the part of the blame and finally Ratner for sucking :o

Vaughn left X3 because at the time Fox and Singer were still at war with eachother, and saw that the whole situation was a mess and backed out. No one should fault him for that... the script was already written i believe as well.. they just wanted a puppet to come in and direct it... which is why we got Ratner.

it's not Vaughn's fault at all

No, it wasn't. Vaughn wrote the script with Kinberg and Penn. Then, he bailed.

If WB could let Nolan film another film between each Batman movie, then why couldn't Fox do that for Singer?

How does Singer get ANY of the blame. It was no ones fault but Fox. Not only for not waiting for him, but for not even SIGNING him in the first place.

You can't "bail" on a film you were never signed on to direct.

But Vaughn's script didn't have the cure storyline that was all Ratner.

Maybe Vaughn should REALLY look into the films he signs on first. Really investigate if he has it in him to do the films before unceremoniously leaving productions high and dry. It would be ok if this happened only once but he's left a lot of big productions with but little time to scramble to find a replacement. That's not professional at all. So I would say he was partly to blame for how X3 turned out. Of course Singer shares the part of the blame and finally Ratner for sucking :o

well of course it's completely unprofessional to take a job and bail often (it should be an incredibly rare occurance) but Tom Rothman at the time was a complete blow-hard and both him and singer didn't get along at all.. and it wouldn't shock me if Vaughn had the same issues..

No, it wasn't. Vaughn wrote the script with Kinberg and Penn. Then, he bailed.
my bad, but still.. he obviously left because the film was shaping into something he didn't want his name attached to. Which... is a huge reason for directors to split. And I'm sure he got fined for breaking contract

When It comes to Rogue there was more devolpment.The rogue of X1 would have never stepped forward to stop Pyro or flown jet to reach the others.Bryan Singer said on audio commantary the reason she and Iceman were In uniform at end was they proved themselves.

The main culpit on Last Stand was Tom Rothman.from 2002 Warner Brothers wanted Bryan on Superman.When Rothman was taking his own sweet time to make a deal with
Bryan Warner's was there offering him a film with larger budget.At time Rothman wa sso upset that Bryan wasn't just waiting around for him to make deal that he wanted him banned from Fox lot.Of course that had to be changed when House was picked up by the Fox network.Rothman forced them to do the cure storyline and not just dark Phoenix as they wanted.Forced them to kill off Xavier.Told them what characters to use.And they had to fight to get Cyclops In film at all.Matthew Vaughn saw the writing on the wall.He wanted to do film that could top X2.Vaughn had worked on script.It was draft he worked on that got a leaked review.You could tell after he left the script got worse under yes man mr full of It Brett Ratner.

If WB could let Nolan film another film between each Batman movie, then why couldn't Fox do that for Singer?

How does Singer get ANY of the blame. It was no ones fault but Fox. Not only for not waiting for him, but for not even SIGNING him in the first place.

actually when we were around at the time... i'm pretty confident SINGER was indeed signed on for X3, and up until he got the job offer for SR he was working on it. Hell i even clearly remember an article stating that once he was off X3, he walked into his office and grabbed everything he was working on for X3 and trashed it so Rothman couldn't get it.

I'm sorry, but BOTH were responsible for it. Singer had just as much of a choice as Rothman did.. and they're ego's got in the way.

hell it was to the point where the cast members were even getting pissed off at Singer... Halle, Ian, Rebecca, and Alan all had a sort of alliance against him at one point, and how horrible he was to work with. I even remember Ian stating how he loved having the cast over for dinner's and singing around the piano during filming.. but dreaded the idea of Singer ever hosting such a thing or including him in on the festivities.

Exactly.Some tend to forget Singer was never signed for third film.He obviously wanted to do aother.He and his X2/Superman Returns writers devolped Ideas for It to be based on Dark Phoenix.He even talked to Peter Jackson since he was toying with Idea of doing 2 films back to back like the matrix sequels and lord of the rings.

Not only did Chris Nolan do other films before each batman film but J.J. Abrams did super 8 before returning to Star Trek.And If they would have waited they could have gotten 2 X-Mens film eather with 6 months of eact other(Like Matrix) or with a year.Work had already beguin on wolverine script they could have worked on that first If they were so desperate for X-men film.

Sony quickly signed Sam rami for spider-man sequels after finishing first Spider-Man and then Spider-Man 2.

It's always better to have a better quality followup than a quick one.

Singer was never contracted to direct X-Men 3. He signed an overall development deal with 20th Century Fox but never came to an official agreement on X-Men 3. That's why he was able to leave and direct Superman Returns, which he never should have been allowed to do. Fox should have signed Singer, and the rest of the cast, as soon as possible after X2. Still, I agree. I'm sure it was an issue of egos getting in the way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"