Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - LEVEL 11 - Part 6

Discussion in 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' started by Thread Manager, Mar 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

not trying to be mean, just trying to make sense of your postings in here... one minute you're just mad at Loeb as if what he's saying is a lie.. then it's not and then you're wanting references... and then you're saying there isn't any when there is... it's just very hard to follow

2. Silvermoon Made To Be Ruled

This. As much as I love Joss and everything he's done for the MCU, he's not the end-all-be-all of the MCU. He didn't feel AOU was the time/place for Coulson to return to films - that's perfectly fine, I have no problems with that. But he doesn't get final say on what is/isn't MCU. AOS is a part of the MCU - that's an indisputable fact. If down the road the Russos (for example) feel that they need to and have a logical reason for bringing in a small team of SHIELD agents led by Coulson for Infinity Wars and Marvel gives them the go ahead to do that, then they will. That decision doesn't lie with Whedon.

(and I won't lie, at this point I'm kind of getting slightly annoyed with Whedon because people are taking his comments as if they constitute the final word for the MCU as a whole - not completely his fault, but the way he's opting to word his opinion isn't helping matters)

3. Shakel92 Registered

Oh, I know that Whedon is wrong. I fully expect Coulson and gang to appear in some manner in one of the upcoming films.

4. Dr. Evil Registered

I'm not saying that Loeb is a liar. He just needs to get into much detail as he's allowed to when he says "it's all connected." Example, when he was promoting DD, and he said it's all connected, he should have been pressed a little bit further by the person interviewing him. They should have asked him "how it's connected?" "Will there be any references to the MCU like the Battle of New York, Thor or Iron Man?" If he says "there might be" then okay, I am fine with that. That means that there could be, but he wants us the viewer to find out. But the issue for me is when he says "it's all connected" the interviewer does not press any further. We know it's all connected, but how? Don't spoil anything, but say "maybe"

As for references, it can get a little maddening when every episode of Agents of SHIELD mentions Stark or Banner or Thor by name directly (although I understand why AoS does it). The way they did it in DD is a bit unique and they even have gone episodes without mentioning those references. My hope is that that trend continues for the rest of the Netflix shows.

5. Robertos0511 Registered

It annoys me how Whedon sees Coulson coming back as an issue, since his death was what brought the team together. I think the way they should bring him back is by having the revelation that he's still alive be what brings the team back together to go fight Thanos after they get torn apart in Civil War.

6. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

I don't think he's doing anything wrong... When AoS first started the phrase was all over the place.. that's the catch-phrase of the MCU.. it's cryptic because it's suppose to be... it's the motto because unlike the DC shows... everything really is connected into the same universe... including the films. If you expected more from the motto.. that makes me question how much one has paid attention... I think it's pretty easily seen that the shows will always stand on there own... and that you can't expect them to tell a good cohesive story line for the season if it's full of tie-ins and guest stars...

With Dr. Strange apparently showing up in Iron-Fist.. I fully suspect that may be the first time we see someone go from TV to film.. though, it may only be his voice

7. Alex_Kidd Registered

Dunno why Whedon continue to bash his own creature (and the creature of his brother, showin' unrespectfull of his brother's work) but it's sad and cruel. Offers hook to the haters and the flamers and I'm afraid that will have some backlash on the ratings and audience of the show

8. Demileto Registered

Depends heavily on Iron Fist's release schedule, if it's at least one day after Dr. Strange's released then not really.

9. hoy-small-fry It's a dance-off bro!

I just don't get it. Why not say "we want the Avengers to still believe he's dead so as to not cheapen their coming together". Done, it's explained, and paves the way for a potential reveal with the new Avengers

10. Silvermoon Made To Be Ruled

Someone on another message board pointed out that it's possible this is his exhaustion talking, and that 6 months down the road he'll look back and realize he didn't mean it the way it sounded (I don't think it would be the first time he would have done something like that).

11. Ragnaroknroll Registered

I think things with the MCU are planned out with a very loose outline and they allow things to grow organically from there. The way SHIELD got destroyed halfway through AOS was probably the best thing that could have happened to the show - but according to the show runners they knew all along but had to bide their time in the beginning. Whatever the feelings are between the people working behind the scenes in the respective TV and film divisions everything is clearly connected and AOS is just as ingrained in the mythos especially with the ties to Agent Carter etc. When Ant-Man comes out I won't be surprised to see even more interconnectivity with the flushing out of Hank Pym's early days, Howard Stark etc.

I have no problem with the Avengers not knowing Coulson is alive. It was a top secret initiative by Fury and a huge gamble - virtually everyone from that program other than Coulson is dead and Skye's Inhuman blood is what saved her. If it ever happens the discovery of Coulson's resurrection should occur in the films - not off screen - but I don't see how it's essential to the larger narrative if that never happens.

The good thing is I think they have figured out a way to allow AOS to play off the events of what's happening in the larger MCU but still have it exist as a standalone series. You don't need to watch one to enjoy the other etc. That's how it should be.

12. Pokkle Registered

13. Huddsy Registered

Whedon is going off again saying that Agents of SHIELD pisses off the Marvel film division and that they basically don't care and it's not all connected and blah blah.

I just don't get it. Sometimes some of these artsy guys Marvel has brought in, while making good movies, seem to piss me and other fans off because they trash the very connected nature of the MCU -- which is what I love so much about it. Him, Gunn, Wright... ugh.

14. giveyourself12% Team Walt

[​IMG]

I shake my head in frustration.

15. Mike Murdock Registered

Yeah, AMC Movie Talk suggested something similar and there's certainly truth to it. There were some other comments I heard him say that were even worse.

If Feige were smart, he'd be a team player and say the right things to keep the TV people (and TV fans) happy. Everyone knows and accepts that the movies are the movers and shakers, but that's different from saying the TV shows don't matter.

16. Heretic Registered

I kind of get Whedon's point.

In the movies, there is no SHIELD, and the vast majority of people who watch the movies do not watch the tv show. Bringing Coulson back to the movies means you have to explain his resurrection in a film. No need for that...just leave him out of all films from now on.

In fact, if this show is leading to issues within Marvel, then end the freaking show...have Coulson retire to go get married to the cellist...and have the spin-off show feature the rest of the cast in what would essentially be the same show under a new name.

17. Mike Murdock Registered

I don't think the audience is completely unaware that Coulson is back. They might not know the details, but that's different. Besides, that doesn't foreclose Mockingbird, Skye, FitzSimmons, Lorelei, etc. from being considered for movies. But Whedon's comments suggest he'd have no interest.

18. Heretic Registered

You change the name of the outfit from SHIELD to anything else and Mockingbird etc can appear in any movie without explanation of why SHIELD is still around.

19. darthcoolness3 Registered

so for the last 3 episodes of Agents of Shield for the current season, will the events be after this week's episode or will they not make sense unless you have seen Age of Ultron?

20. Broseph44 Witness Me

I think Whedon needs to **** with his comments.

21. Silvermoon Made To Be Ruled

Gregg has said there's still more connectivity to come, so while maybe the impact won't be as huge (because SHIELD falling was a pretty big impact for a show about SHIELD), my guess is that it's going to be similar to TWS. The remaining episodes probably take place concurrently with and/or immediately after the events of Age of Ultron - and will probably have references to things that happen(ed) in the film (and possibly spoilerific references)

Ultimately, to be on the safe side for those not wanting the show to spoil AOU, I would either try to see AOU this weekend if you can, or hold off on watching the remaining episodes until you're able to see it.

22. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Are there spoilers for AOU in the most recent Agents of SHIELD episode? I haven't read any of the rest of this thread in case people have talked about AOU in here (which they shouldn't), but there was mention that AOU scenes would feature in this week's episode. Is that the case? Or is it safe to watch before AOU comes out?

23. DN91 SSR Agent

Last night's episode just sets things up for the film like why the Avengers attack Hydra and how List ended up with Strucker. Plus there's Raina slightly foreshadowing the "men made of metal" coming to tear cities apart, but they've been glimpsed in trailers and ads.

24. RivenSky Powered by Girl Cooties

So Emily VanCamp's TV show Revenge has been canceled.

Honestly, I'd love to see Agent 13 show up around ABC's other Marvel TV properties. Emily's schedule certainly just opened up.

Has there been any word yet whether we'd see her in Civil War?

25. Silvermoon Made To Be Ruled

The 'tag' at the end of the episode was a scene from AOU (much like how the 'tag' for ep 16 (I think) of season 1 was the Fury car chase from The Winter Soldier).

IMO (as someone who's avoiding reading spoilers for AOU - though I still watch the clips and what not), this episode (episode 19) is clearly meant to be viewed *before* watching Age of Ultron with how it leads up to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.