Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Discussion in 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' started by Thread Manager, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]470447[/split]

2. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]467883[/split]

3. R_Hythlodeus

R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

I can't wait for the next episode. rewatching all 12 episodes right now and most of them are great.

4. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Endeavor wrote:

But there's absolutely no hint that a "real" Mandarin even exists. Or *has* existed for some time now.

I'll go back to the Assassins analogy. The Assassins were an ancient order of what we'd call terrorists today. They received orders from a legendary leader, The Old Man of the Mountain. Over the centuries, the order fell apart. Today, there may still be those who claim to be genuine Assassins, but there's certainly no one claiming to be the Old Man of the Mountain, and no indication that there's any kind of organization to whatever Assassins remain in the Middle East today.

I liken Ten Rings and The Mandarin to that same situation. There likely hasn't been a "Mandarin" for years, maybe even centuries; but the history is there, and that's where Killian concocted his story from to give it some authenticity. But had there been a real Mandarin operating, he would have shut down Killian's subterfuge immediately. It wouldn't have been allowed to continue past the first fake bombing.

That being said: never say never. There *is* a way I could see a "real" Mandarin emerge; but it would be either a new guy emerging in response to Killian and Trevor....

....Or. A real ancient Mandarin, coming back from the distant past (or even the grave) to exact revenge on this blasphemy against his name. That's the route they took in the Iron Man DVD....Mandarin was actually an ancient ghost/mummy, and his powers were supernatural in origin. I'd be okay with that route; but I'm sure a lot of the nuts-n-bolts fans here who seem to fear and/or despise all things magical in the MCU would be just as resistant to this new "Mandarin twist" as the one we got before.

5. Endeavor

Endeavor Que bolá con el timbeque?

I'd be okay with that route too. Magic is going to come into the forefront in the MCU. It's going to happen because we know Dr Strange is coming. They might call it super science like they've done up until now, but it will be magic. Some people will have a problem will that, and that's okay. Just like it's okay that I don't like the current Mandarin twist yet I was still able to enjoy IM3 enough to watch it 3 times at the theater. What is not okay is to want to ridicule those that want something different, especially when it's something that's backed by the rich history which these movies are based off.

6. Huddsy

Huddsy Well-Known Member

@mrdrewpearce
    @Jasper_CH I have now. And one thing I know for sure: nobody's going to be apologizing for the Mandarin twist any time soon.

There you go, everyone. They aint retconning it. For God sake...

7. spideyboy_1111

spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

and yet they also said "Those who were upset with the twist won't be disappointed"

so... while on the surface that may sound conflicting, It doesn't mean there's not another twist to it. You can still "change" something, and not be sorry for the way it played out in the film anyway.. that's not apologizing, especially if it was in the cards all along.

we just have to wait an see. Neither side should jump to conclusions.

8. DrCosmic

DrCosmic Professor of Power

Fun fact, if you google "Those who were upset won't be disappointed" the top three links are about Iron Man 3.

Regardless, this show, Agents of SHIELD isn't very good to me. I followed it, I like parts about it, and every so often something cool peeks out, but in the end, every time I see it, I keep thinking of how much better it could have been with a different angle, a different cast. And this repeated need to cast Coulson into a Jack Bauer-esque figure just rings so very false to me. Before it was just okay, but that immense amount of wasted potential just reeks to me. They had so much goodwill from Avengers and Item 47, they could have made something truly awesome, and all they gave us was... Team Coulson. I expected better.

9. Endeavor

Endeavor Que bolá con el timbeque?

have you seen the last couple of episodes?

10. Huddsy

Huddsy Well-Known Member

Again... go listen to interviews and they all say the same thing -- the first x number os episodes were episodic with a focus on establishing the normalities of SHIELD and their world, establish some mysteries and the characters. Then i's gonna switch and it's going to explore superheroes, the Marvel universe, answer questions, and be more arching in storytelling.

11. Pokkle

Pokkle Well-Known Member

I am hype : "We found out what Tahiti was -- or lack thereof -- but we didn't know why. Why is it a huge secret?" Bennet asks. "There's a couple big question marks. There's: What am I? Where am I from? Why the f*** are they not telling Coulson why he died? And then there's: Who's the Clairvoyant? Who's the head of Centipede? What is happening? Basically starting next episode, it's bam bam bam bam bam from here on, so it will be a lot of answers and a lot of drama."
    http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsideth...origin-mysteries-will-get-better-answers.html

12. Human Torch

Human Torch Well-Known Member

Ultimately they can always introduce a new character that will better reflect the comic version of Mandarin.I believe it'll happen eventually,if not right away.As it stands now,the Ten Rings subplot of the Iron Man series is more than murky.

13. jaqua99

jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

I was pissed there was no episode last Tuesday.

14. mkilban2

mkilban2 family1stclothingco.com

Man LokiD went on some kinda ranting before the past thread ended. 10,000 word Mandarin essay with no conclusion lol.

15. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

16. Crimson King

Crimson King Superhero Novelista

Notice that no one denies it might be the Mandarin in WT's gif. He even looks like an archaeologist.

17. cph9fa

cph9fa Well-Known Member

I have to admit, I've started reading his username as TLDRM instead of TRM.

18. R_Hythlodeus

I see no reason for that. we got a pretty accurate depiction of the Mandarin already, no need to give in because a handful of people are whining.

19. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

No need at all. Iron Man 3 was a rousing success. Killian was the Mandarin. The End.

20. mkilban2

mkilban2 family1stclothingco.com

I agree with the above that what we got was very satisfying to me and there's no need to change or add anything to the Mandarin storyline. But for some reason I've always felt like there was something above Killian, something other than Tony standing him up that influence his evil.. But I'm okay with what we got as well.

21. R_Hythlodeus

via twitter

22. Crimson King

Crimson King Superhero Novelista

Edit: ninjaed :argh:

23. R_Hythlodeus

that's my job. I'm a ninja! :o

24. JB-the-Hunter

JB-the-Hunter Booty hunter

So... Is Mike Peterson Deathlok like people have been speculating?

25. R_Hythlodeus

and there's more:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.