Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when can we start the Whedon Be Not Proud thread to predict which character will be first to take a dirt nap? It's probably too early to get a line on it since Joss will wait to see who becomes a popular fan favorite before dreaming up an excruciating death scene for them. Phil Coulson is the only one not in the running since he already got the "die cute" treatment in The Avengers.

We can also speculate on the manner of death that will be used. Impalement is always a good bet, but that might be a little overused at this point. Perhaps immolation is a possibility, keeping it alliterative and all.

Whichever one gets in a relationship and is happy will be the first one to die and suffer excruciating pain.

Whichever one gets in a relationship and is happy will be the first one to die and suffer excruciating pain.

Coulson's car seems to make him happy... :wow: Noooooooooooo! Lola!

man the Fx budget looks almost movie quality. I was afraid they would get less of an FX budget than smallville and I thought the graphics there were subpar.
but these FX budgets blows it out of the water. Why would DC invest less than Marvel especially considering Clark was household name and these shield dudes are nobody. I guess ABC plus all that Avengers money opens up a bigger budget.

Im wondering what the martial arts choreagraphy is going to look like,Arrow choreagraphy is good some nights but disappointing alot with that camera shake jason bourne angle stuff. The CW admits to having a small budget so with ABC,maybe we can get some epic fight scenes, though Im not expecting Jet Lee.

though Black widows fight scenes could have been better in the Avengers
as well as Caps in both movies he appeared

Coulson's car seems to make him happy... :wow: Noooooooooooo! Lola!

tumblr_liwehenokN1qdl7roo1_500.gif

Why would DC invest less than Marvel especially considering Clark was household name and these shield dudes are nobody. I guess ABC plus all that Avengers money opens up a bigger budget.

You answered your own question. ABC is a different animal then the WB/CW. Bigger all around.

You answered your own question. ABC is a different animal then the WB/CW. Bigger all around.

One has to wonder, however, what the budgets will be like on a weekly basis. When I watched Once Upon a Time last night I noticed that a lot of the effects looked low quality, specifically that part with the cheesy-looking diamond. A few of the shots were considerably better. The portal/whirlpool at the end was pretty good. Will ABC give the Whedon team the budget to create consistently good quality effects? We'll have to wait and see.

One has to wonder, however, what the budgets will be like on a weekly basis. When I watched Once Upon a Time last night I noticed that a lot of the effects looked low quality, specifically that part with the cheesy-looking diamond. A few of the shots were considerably better. The portal/whirlpool at the end was pretty good. Will ABC give the Whedon team the budget to create consistently good quality effects? We'll have to wait and see.

I'm pretty sure AoS will have a bigger budget then Once Upon a Time has considering the pedigree involved and the networks expectations for the show. You are right though, I don't think the weekly budget for SHIELD will be as high as the Pilot episode (but still higher then the average effects-type show). Based on that, I'm hoping it pulls in at least 14 million viewers a week (and kills it in 18-49). Anything less may be dicey. Arrow can get away with 2.5 million viewers on the CW.

Last edited:
Yes! Yes! Yes! Bobbi Morse aka Mockingbird would be perfect for this show! I'd also like to see Daisy Johnson if they could come up with a plausible explanation for her powers.

Any chance Jesse Bradford, Lizzy Caplan and Titus Welliver appear in this series at all? I hope we get to see them at least once more. Benny and Claire make a darn cute couple.

Any chance Jesse Bradford, Lizzy Caplan and Titus Welliver appear in this series at all? I hope we get to see them at least once more. Benny and Claire make a darn cute couple.

I really think Titus Wellivers character should of been the main character of this show rather than Coulson.

The problem comes when you start introducing A- and B-listers into the TV show, and then you don't get a chance to use them in movies. As I said, Luke Cage is worth more to Marvel and Disney as a film star than a TV star; a D-lister like Rage isn't.

The likelihood of an "Agents of SHIELD" TV character crossing over into the core MCU movies is pretty remote at this point. Until that strategy changes, then you don't want to start throwing the big names like Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Daredevil and the like into the TV show when they've got feature film potential.

I don't really agree with this. Characters like Luke Cage, Daredevil, and Iron Fist are not even on the radar for a feature film. We have a schedule of films that go through 2015 and others heavily talked about (Dr. Strange, Ms. Marvel, Black Panther) along with sequels (Cap3, Thor3, GOTG2) that most likely fills up the schedule through 2018. If they want some of these other characters in live action, SHIELD is the perfect place to introduce them.

Didn't Max Hernandez confirm that he's got a guest spot as Sitwell? If so, then the other characters from the One-Shots would be just as likely.

Didn't Max Hernandez confirm that he's got a guest spot as Sitwell? If so, then the other characters from the One-Shots would be just as likely.
True, but the difference here is that Sitwell is a recurring character in the One-Shots and movies, whereas Benny and Claire really did seem like one-offs. Anyway I think the bottom line has more to do with the availability of the actors, which seems limited for Bradford and Caplan.

I don't really agree with this. Characters like Luke Cage, Daredevil, and Iron Fist are not even on the radar for a feature film. We have a schedule of films that go through 2015 and others heavily talked about (Dr. Strange, Ms. Marvel, Black Panther) along with sequels (Cap3, Thor3, GOTG2) that most likely fills up the schedule through 2018. If they want some of these other characters in live action, SHIELD is the perfect place to introduce them.

Cage and Iron Fist were definitely on track for feature films several years ago, and even had leads and directors and scripts attached. That was before the whole Avenger MCU thing, of course. And Daredevil is definitely still feature film material.

As I've said many times before, Marvel Studios is kind of in a predicament with their "street level"/Marvel Knights heroes. Feige has hinted in recent convos that he doesn't see them as blockbuster movie material in the league of what they're planning now; but it would be an absolute waste to let these characters gather dust on the shelves.

I still think the best strategy for Marvel is to create a smaller "Searchlight" studio to handle the Marvel Knights-level characters. When Avi was running things a few years ago, he said that the studio's strategy was to produce two blockbuster films per year with budgets around 150 million, and one smaller film budgeted at 30 million. They've obviously dropped the second part of that strategy, but it might be time to re-examine that.

And I agree that television would be a great medium for these types of characters --- the shows could be produced pretty much on the cheap. And Marvel Television originally had plans for a *lot* of shows in development, including Del Toro's Hulk; but all those turned into vaporware except for SHIELD.

SHIELD is still a gamble. They've got past the first hurdles, but the biggest hurdle still remains: gaining an audience and becoming successful. We all hope it happens, obviously; but if it doesn't, you don't want to be stuck throwing a bunch of A- and B-list names under the bus, essentially.

Luke Cage, Daredevil, Iron Fist, Punisher and company relegated to guest starring roles on an unproven network TV show? Far too big a gamble to take. They belong on film, or at least headlining their own shows.

^^ Yeah, there was talk years ago about Cage and Iron Fist but there hasn't really been a peep uttered about them in quite some time. I see no reason to believe that they would see the big screen anytime in the next 5 years. Creating a smaller studio would be one way to go about it, but there has been no indication that anything like that is going to happen. Even at that, it is still people, time, and money required to make the films and there is only so much of it to go around.

I don't think you introduce big players like Cage/Fist/Daredevil in the first season, maybe one or two in the season finale. Let the show get its legs under it and cultivate that audience. Once things are rolling then you can introduce some of these more popular characters, which I believe will be a great medium for them.

Making a SHIELD I.D. that you can add your own pic too. MIGHT be up tomorrow

Luke Cage, Daredevil, Iron Fist, Punisher and company relegated to guest starring roles on an unproven network TV show?

If that's the way Marvel is looking at their TV show, like a red-headed stepchild (which I don't think it is) then it's already doomed.

man the Fx budget looks almost movie quality. I was afraid they would get less of an FX budget than smallville and I thought the graphics there were subpar.
but these FX budgets blows it out of the water. Why would DC invest less than Marvel especially considering Clark was household name and these shield dudes are nobody. I guess ABC plus all that Avengers money opens up a bigger budget.

You have to take into account that this is a bigger network than WB,CW,UPN, etc. Whedon's previous shows on those networks didn't look great cinematically either. But Alias and Lost which were on ABC looked great in the beginning, but as the ratings went down, the budget went down.

Basically don't be surprised in the 3rd or 4th season when we get a really bad blue screen scene.

8:00 is probably the best time slot for it. Lots of younger kids are going to want to watch it.

It seems to be anchoring a night with entirely new shows on ABC, and is up against the aging but still strong NCIS (unless the dinosaur got canceled). AOS won't be relying on CBS's aging demographic anyway, so that's not bad competition. The Voice might be, though its ratings have been on the decline this season.

Good spot for it.
Takes the place of Wipeout, leads into DWTS at 9 PM; its network competition is (tentatively) NCIS and The Voice. Granny might prefer to watch NCIS, and Kid Sis The Voice, but I think the demographic we're shooting for here will definitely tune in to SHIELD.

DWTS won't be on Tuesdays anymore.

Agent Leo Fitz & Agent Jenna Simmons are described as "inseparable like siblings" and known with the cutesy "Fitz-Simmons" moniker. Not a good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"