Days of Future Past AICN rumor: Days of Future Past is 48fps

NickFoley

Civilian
Reaction score
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/64613

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. It has been wildly speculated that Bryan Singer's upcoming X-Men: Days of Future Past would be released in 48fps, but nobody has been able to confirm it since the initial wave of guesswork which happened at the end of last year when Singer announced he was shooting the movie in native stereo.

I had one pretty legit source that confirmed it to me privately a little while ago, but we've been sticking pretty strongly to our “two sources or nothing” game plan of late. It was that rule that kept us from running the Benedict Cumberbatch in Star Wars Episode VII news a week before it broke, which is probably a good thing since it has been denied up and down and as cool as it'd be is not likely to pan out.

Well, a second source just emailed in this weekend, calling him/herself Asta the Wonder Dog, with a list of bonafides (can't print that part, sorry) and this little tidbit:

[X-Men: Days of Future Past] was shot in HFR and will be released in 48fps. The filmmakers played coy because of the negative reaction to the technology when the Hobbit film was released, but love the results and will be standing behind a theatrical release in high frame rate.
So, two sources now have now confirmed to us that X-Men: Days of Future Past was not only shot in 48fps, but will be released in 48 as well.

I'm personally still not a fan of high frame rate, but then again I'm a pretty big stickler for production design and cinematography. I saw The Hobbit in both 24 and 48 and in 24fps it looked like the previous Lord of the Rings movies to me, Andrew Lesnie's rich and beautiful photography acted like a kind of bridge between the two cinematic worlds separated by 60-some years of movie time and over a decade of real time. In 48fps, it felt very bright and more stage-like, which cause the opposite reaction for me as a movie-goer than I believe Jackson and company intended. The more real it looked the less real it felt. Does that make any sense?

I will cut them some slack in that these are early days of the technology. There must be a reason envelope-pushing filmmakers like Jackson and Cameron are attracted to it.

I'm intrigued by Singer's recent revelation that they're filming all of Quicksilver's stuff in 3600fps, which admittedly isn't really a new trick. Filmmakers have been overcranking for decades to achieve the slow motion effect. But still, I wonder how that plays out with the new projected framerate.

Thanks for the confirmation, Asta. Now go run home to Nick and Nora!

What do you folks think?

-Eric Vespe
”Quint”

We'll see if this pans out...

He could of been lying.

Like all directors do with big budget franchise films such as this.

Terrible, if its true.

I'm afraid these 48 frames per second would cheapen the look of the movie.

Who to believe. A random or Singer? I'll go with Singer until we get confirmation to say otherwise.

He could of been lying.

Like all directors do with big budget franchise films such as this.
Yeah Singer has fibbed before. I think you have to be really careful how you read his interviews. I really hope this isn't true, or, at least, if it is, Fox will release two versions: 24 fps along with 48 fps -- that I have no problem with.

If we do get 48 fps, I doubt they would release another version like 24 fps in theaters.

Maybe in the home-video release, there's a possibility for that if there's a big negative reaction with the use of 48 fps for this film.

If we do get 48 fps, I doubt they would release another version like 24 fps in theaters.

Maybe in the home-video release, there's a possibility for that if there's a big negative reaction with the use of 48 fps for this film.
They released The Hobbit both ways. I saw 24 fps in the theater.

Of course Fox will release the film in 24 fps, as well as 48 fps, if true. The technology is too new and met with too mixed a reaction to release the film solely in 48 fps.

Last edited:
They released The Hobbit both ways. I saw 24 fps in the theater.

I'm just hoping that they would just release the film in 24 fps and there's no 48 fps. I don't live in the U.S. so I'm not sure if we would be getting 24fps if the film's original format is in 48 fps.

The Hobbit looked DISGUSTING in 48 fps. I'm not a huge fan of 3D, but I'd so much rather that trend stick around than 48 fps. I'm usually a positive guy. I never like to come on to a forum to ***** and complain, but I'm so strongly against HFR it's not even funny. I really hope this isn't true. I know I can see it in 2D at 24 fps, but that doesn't mean I'm okay with it.

Most sites are already discussing this rumour.

So this is making people talk, and thats always a good thing, lol. Some viewers dont like the idea, and some do... at the end of the day most readers will watch this movie thanks to all the curiosity the concept and cast have created.

Hobbit looked fugly. Avoid it like the plague FOX.

Just disappointing. The quest for making it more immersive, really hurts the look of the film. Movies are not supposed to look like plays or looking through a window as Peter Jackson, said. It should look like a painting.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/fox-denies-x-men-days-future-past-rumor-193533495.html

A spokesman for 20th Century Fox has denied an Internet report claiming Bryan Singer’s “X-Men: Days of Future Past” will be released in 48 fps.
Ain’t It Cool News reported Sunday that the sequel to 2011′s “X-Men: First Class” is employing the same high frame-rate technology Peter Jackson used on “The Hobbit.”
“The filmmakers played coy because of the negative reaction to the technology when the Hobbit film was released,” the site wrote, “but love the results and will be standing behind a theatrical release in high frame rate.”
Fox isn’t sure where the rumor came from but insists the story is false.

It aint over:

UPDATE: I am hearing now that the film was shot in 48 FPS, which would suggest that this decision about whether or not to release it that way was one they made during post.
Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captur...-48-frames-per-second-hfr#WPt3ioOjDKzcrBcE.99

This is getting interesting! :D

If Bryan made the decision is because he must knew how it was gonna look, and if AICN report is true and he is happy with the result, Fox SHOULD go for it. This is extra publicity for the movie, same way Avatar got all that marketing about the advances in the movie technology, and similar case, tho smaller, with The Hobbit and the 48fps.

Again, if Singer is happy, I actually believe in it.

What the bad place haha.

So it sounds like it was shot in HFR, but it won't be released in it?

Maybe when they were editing the film, they noticed the HFR doesn't look perfect or better at all.

I hope they scrap it!

Count me on the anti-HFR side, too. *shudder* I hope it's only out in 24fps.

I'm not so sure I buy that it was shot in 48 fps and then they changed their mind in post-production. That's a lot of wasted film and IIRC shooting at HFR requires more than just running the film faster through the camera -- it affects what lenses they use and other technical bits and bobs that ride up the cost of the film.

I am glad to hear that Fox is denying that it will be released in HFR though. Whatever went on behind the scenes I don't really care as long as we get 24 fps.

I hated the 48fps version of The Hobbit.

My other half never even noticed any difference, lol...

thank the Matrix they didn't do this. It makes the effects look so cheap and really doesn't add the effect that the directors want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"